Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

For some reason it doesn't show up on either of the History channels here in Canada.

That's because the content on the channel has to be 35% canadian, and they're not willing to drop duck dynasty reruns to free up some of their 'murica quota.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWCKq_yecnc

If you watch that short intro and think you're missing out on something then lol.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
So it sounds like an American version of Wheeler Dealers

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wheeler+dealers

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It sounds like the History Channel has an entirely inflated idea of how much of an asset Rutledge is.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

tuna posted:

If you watch that short intro and think you're missing out on something then lol.

i am ALL ABOUT THIS. Rutledge wood is indisputably cooler than 1 of the 3 british top gear hosts even, so i will certainly watch a cool car show like this. better than watching whatever sedan mercedes has wedged a v8 in prove that it can slide. I met him in georgia and we drank at a bar near his house. Super cool guy (where they shoot "the walking dead" also within walking distance)

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 9, 2015

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

MattD1zzl3 posted:

i am ALL ABOUT THIS. Rutledge wood is indisputably cooler than 1 of the 3 british top gear hosts even, so i will certainly watch a cool car show like this. better than watching whatever sedan mercedes has wedged a v8 in prove that it can slide. I met him in georgia and we drank at a bar near his house. Super cool guy (where they shoot "the walking dead" also within walking distance"

Source your quotes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

tuna posted:

I can't see the intro in my country, so I'm clearly missing out on two things now.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

hopterque posted:

Source your quotes.

I checked the numbers and 1 out of 3 is probable, 2 out of 3 is debatable but 3 out of 3 is statistically impossible, and I have an advanced degree so I must be right.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Foxtrot_13 posted:

It's actually closer to Car SOS except the car's owners aren't sick or dying.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

8ender posted:

This thread introduced me to For the love of cars and it's excellent

Fantastic show. You get a good sense of history related to the cars and their brands and get to see them restored to an amazing condition.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ned posted:

Fantastic show. You get a good sense of history related to the cars and their brands and get to see them restored to an amazing condition.
I'm finding the second series to be more of the history/anecdotes, and less of the restoration. Personally, not as keen on that, but it's still a good show.

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

It's like Wheeler Dealers with no Edd or Paul. Terrible.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

InitialDave posted:

I'm finding the second series to be more of the history/anecdotes, and less of the restoration. Personally, not as keen on that, but it's still a good show.

Definitely agreeing with you here. I watched episode 1 of season 2 and I thought it was great so then I decided to watch all of season 1 which I also thought was great and then the other two episodes of season 2 are restoring ho-hum vehicles that probably weren't really that special but had a story related to paying medical bills with an ever happy ending when the cars were restored and essentially returned to their sick owners. My only real issue with the first season is the final episode is largely filler for the auction but probably good for someone who had never watched the show at all but wanted a quick review of the work they did with each car and how much it sold for. But the first episode of season 2 is really great. Absolutely amazing work.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Why have I only just discovered that show? Well I guess I am now watching all of the episodes.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

IndianaZoidberg posted:

Why have I only just discovered that show? Well I guess I am now watching all of the episodes.

Edd is awesome. Mike will get on your nerves.

Crackin'!

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Crackin'!

Its funny you say that because after 2 episodes Mike is already starting to get on my nerves. But Edd, what a heartthrob genius.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Mister Kingdom posted:

Crackin'!

So true.

Deee neee neee neeee.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Mike annoys me because he is terrible at bargaining. Well we bought this car for $1000, put $500 of parts on it and 80 hours of labour so i guess $1450 is a good price *shakes on it*.
Edd forever working his rear end off and Mike giving his labour away.

E: Appearently they actually make decent profits in the later shows assuming free labour, but the early shows are kind of like what i described.

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 12, 2015

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I hope that there is a blooper reel of Mike being told to go fcuk himself when he makes a 'cheeky offer' to some poor sod just trying to sell their family car.

Edd seems a much more decent bloke, except:

1) everytime you find yourself bouncing up and down on a tyre lever, blame him and spanner monkeys with rattleguns like him.
I have seen him use a torque wrench precisely once.

2) he'll strip away half the car to replace a broken component, then reassemble it using the original rusted and rounded-off nuts and screws. He doesn't even give them a dab of grease, let alone replace them.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Mister Kingdom posted:

Anybody catch Rutledge Wood's new show, Lost in Transmission? He and his mechanic friend restore crapped-out old cars.

One episode was enough for me.

But a DeLorean :qq:

http://www.history.com/shows/lost-in-transmission/videos/drowned-delorean?m=5189717d404fa&s=All&f=1&free=false

edit

Oh god, Chad is amazing.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 13, 2015

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

spog posted:

2) he'll strip away half the car to replace a broken component, then reassemble it using the original rusted and rounded-off nuts and screws. He doesn't even give them a dab of grease, let alone replace them.

If you lived in the UK why would you bother.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

NihilismNow posted:

Mike annoys me because he is terrible at bargaining. Well we bought this car for $1000, put $500 of parts on it and 80 hours of labour so i guess $1450 is a good price *shakes on it*.
Edd forever working his rear end off and Mike giving his labour away.

E: Appearently they actually make decent profits in the later shows assuming free labour, but the early shows are kind of like what i described.

I think Mike puts it on for the show because if he was like that IRL no mechanic ever would work with him. And to be frank, I dont believe that Edd has nothing to do with what cars they select.
I personally skip over the Mike parts because they are more boring than anything. gently caress staged transactions, I wanna see valve adjustments on a Lamborghini.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

How many times can this fuckin guy say "back on the road" jesus christ.

edit: they didn't show any of the repair work ahhhhh this show is trash.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 13, 2015

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Preoptopus posted:

I think Mike puts it on for the show because if he was like that IRL no mechanic ever would work with him. And to be frank, I dont believe that Edd has nothing to do with what cars they select.
I personally skip over the Mike parts because they are more boring than anything. gently caress staged transactions, I wanna see valve adjustments on a Lamborghini.

I want to see more of Edd getting pissed off when he has to prep a loving Bentley for a complete color change.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

DamnGlitch posted:

How many times can this fuckin guy say "back on the road" jesus christ.

edit: they didn't show any of the repair work ahhhhh this show is trash.

Yeah for real. I watched the whole drat thing and they're like, "Man, this is going to be hard"

*commercial break*

"Oh boy it's all done, great job everyone!"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mister Kingdom posted:

I want to see more of Edd getting pissed off when he has to prep a loving Bentley for a complete color change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTwgTHwCTZQ

:stare:

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I just watched an episode of Lost in Transmission and didn't completely hate it. Helped that it had a Delorean.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

gileadexile posted:

I just watched an episode of Lost in Transmission and didn't completely hate it. Helped that it had a Delorean.

So you watched THE episode then. That's the only one so far.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
House of Cars

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So someone at The Mirror who is a fan of Top Gear showed up at work and said "What if, like, the Top Gear guys went to Netflix and they named it House of Cars? Like House of Cards but cars because they have cars."

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Now with a tripod, better lighting and a substantially reduced BAC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZlmHPxzQZg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jNndp_5m20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biRksy2GrxU

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

I need a poaching pan now

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Devastated. Melbourne, Australia (along with Sydney) was meant to get Clarkson Hammond May Live shows, but then cos our stadiums are dumbfucks, Perth (AKA The Middle of Nowhere) gets them instead. I mean I'm happy that Perth gets SOMETHING, but ughhhh it was always meANT TO BE MELBOURNE AND Y U DO DIS FUCKERS UFUJAALHAKAKSHDHDSKAL

/end rant

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Ah come on mate it's not that fa....

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

My god that drive would be absolutely miserable. Coast to coast across the US is about the same distance but would at least be entertaining some of the time.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

angryhampster posted:

My god that drive would be absolutely miserable. Coast to coast across the US is about the same distance but would at least be entertaining some of the time.

It's not insignificantly shorter; you get a better view of the ocean as well.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Wasabi the J posted:

It's not insignificantly shorter; you get a better view of the ocean as well.

Good god, that's absolutely beautiful.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

T1g4h posted:

Good god, that's absolutely beautiful.

Yeah; also, any time I look out at the ocean, I always think about what the next landfall would be in that heading.

It's stunning to think, off that coast, the next land is Antarctica.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
Clarkson had a radio interview with Chris Evans this morning. Said the last two episodes of the season are currently being edited and will be broadcast. Also took responsibility for not getting his contract renewed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Gold and a Pager posted:

Clarkson had a radio interview with Chris Evans this morning. Said the last two episodes of the season are currently being edited and will be broadcast. Also took responsibility for not getting his contract renewed.

Not sure about international availability but here's the interview:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02rw42m