Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Solartide posted:

Anyone decon Yennefer's note?

No, I fight monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The Witcher 3 inventory system is a goddamned loving mess.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Darth Ballz posted:

I beat the griffin on DEATH level first by cheating (I crossbowed him over a river and he fell in and drowned

That should be legit as gently caress. :black101:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Drifter posted:

The entire UI can be summed up as simply functional. They sure didn't put Bob on it for an extra week like he kept asking to do.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Drifter posted:

I think it really suffers from "too much poo poo" syndrome. Even in the opening areas of the games you've got ten thousand different kinds of collectables ranging from alchemy ingredients to junk items to crafting widgets and it leads to a bloated backpack. They really could have divided stuff up better and had a clearer interface to view it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Drifter posted:

Yeah this is my number one complaint about the game. My most anticipated mod is easily the inevitable inventory overhaul.

Caik
Oct 3, 2013
Anyone know how to get to the "undiscovered location" near Lurtch in Velen? Its below me but I can't find a cave entrance.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Magical Zero posted:

That's good news, I'm still in White Orchard so 50-100 coins is a pretty substantial sum.
In that case, unless you have a bonkers good sword, just keep picking up new ones off dudes you kill and use that until it starts breaking, then repeat.

How the hell do I get regular feathers? I just massacred all the geese in the starting town and all I got was meat and eggs. I just want to upgrade my crossbow bolts, sorry about your livestock.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I think it really suffers from "too much poo poo" syndrome. Even in the opening areas of the games you've got ten thousand different kinds of collectables ranging from alchemy ingredients to junk items to crafting widgets and it leads to a bloated backpack. They really could have divided stuff up better and had a clearer interface to view it.

easily one of my biggest complaints about Dragon Age Inquisition was the amount of useless loving trinkets and random poo poo you got for crafting a zillion things. what is it with medieval games and giving you metric tons of worthless garbage constantly.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Hey guys how do you get the haircut DLC and stuff on the PS4?

MinibarMatchman posted:

easily one of my biggest complaints about Dragon Age Inquisition was the amount of useless loving trinkets and random poo poo you got for crafting a zillion things. what is it with medieval games and giving you metric tons of worthless garbage constantly.

legacy mechanics from Dungeons and Dragons, which grew out of wargaming

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Heads up. If you accidentally close the door to the crypt in the White Orchard cemetery, you can't open it again. This is bad if you didn't get the awesome stuff inside first.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Solartide posted:

Anyone decon Yennefer's note?

Do you get something special if you do? Lilac and Gooseberry concentrate?

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
How badly do you get penalized for stealing everything that you can? I am poor as poo poo and saving the day isn't cheap.
Edit: is there a way to respec your character? I'm putting points into poo poo that is of dubious value.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

As someone who has never played the Witcher series before, it's quite overwhelming. I know the basic premise but the world and characters are pretty much new to me. I'm mostly just running around the starting area doing random quests at the moment, taking it all in.

Combat seems like quite hectic, I can't seem to get dodges and rolls working properly, and all the merchants/smiths/etc. items are a blur - it's always the same, I have no idea what to keep and what to sell. Is it possible to gimp my character by making poor choices? Is it mandatory to upgrade my gear frequently?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Torpor posted:

How badly do you get penalized for stealing everything that you can? I am poor as poo poo and saving the day isn't cheap.
Edit: is there a way to respec your character? I'm putting points into poo poo that is of dubious value.

No penalty for stealing from peasants, but if you try to steal something in front of a guard they'll wreck your poo poo. Later in the game some of the alchemists sell a potion that lets you respec. It's expensive though. The only one I've seen cost 1000.

Azazell0 posted:

As someone who has never played the Witcher series before, it's quite overwhelming. I know the basic premise but the world and characters are pretty much new to me. I'm mostly just running around the starting area doing random quests at the moment, taking it all in.

Combat seems like quite hectic, I can't seem to get dodges and rolls working properly, and all the merchants/smiths/etc. items are a blur - it's always the same, I have no idea what to keep and what to sell. Is it possible to gimp my character by making poor choices? Is it mandatory to upgrade my gear frequently?

I don't think you can gimp your character that bad. The worst you could do is invest talents in things you don't use very much, and even then you could always change up the way you play. You definitely should upgrade your gear as you find better stuff. As you explore you'll find upgrades pretty much continuously. I wouldn't worry about crafting gear or anything like that until you feel more comfortable with the basics.

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 20, 2015

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

End of the Baron's questline spoilers. If you're like me and end up with the Baron hanging himself before you get his Gwent card, you can just go to his office and get it from a box behind his desk. Significantly easier than beating him in Gwent. :v:

edit: Also wait if you do that quest a different way does it ever explain what Uma is?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Does anybody else's Geralt's hair turn green or yellow when he's near the left side of the screen in cutscenes?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Hmm, should I trust (swamp quest spoilers)this really creepy haunted tapestry, or the giant pulsating mass of meat below the old oak. Decisions, decisions....

Ahahaha, these Crones look like something out of Borderlainds, amazing.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 20, 2015

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Something in W2 that they brought back Boxing people for easy money, I am glad this has returned. Not story related but if you haven't played any of the previous games it might be a fun thing to stumble into.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Azazell0 posted:

All you need to know is Geralt is the most badass person in history.

e: Also everyone is gay for geralt.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mons Hubris posted:

Does anybody else's Geralt's hair turn green or yellow when he's near the left side of the screen in cutscenes?

Your television/monitor has magnetic damage, most likely.

Burgo
Jun 1, 2008

So just after the talking to ambassador var attre and I guess it loaded my broche save as Henselt is dead, and radovid has taken over kaedwen. What happens if hes alive? 2 lovely armies for nilfgaard to crush?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I think this game is better than GTAV. Although GTAV still has the best physics system in the world.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Burgo posted:

So just after the talking to ambassador var attre and I guess it loaded my broche save as Henselt is dead, and radovid has taken over kaedwen. What happens if hes alive? 2 lovely armies for nilfgaard to crush?

Post white orchard spoilers On my playthrough, which is a Iorveth path save import, Henselt got killed in a battle with Radovid's army and then Radovid took over Kaedwen. I think no matter what he's dead at the start of W3 basically.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
So is the guy narrating all the loading screens meant to be an older Dandelion recounting the tale back to us or did they just straight up change his voice into a weird old man voice? Also he sounds a lot like the narrator for the opening Witcher 1 cinematic which shows Geralt curing Adda for the first time.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Your television/monitor has magnetic damage, most likely.

I dunno, it doesn't happen to other characters or anything else in the scene. It's just Geralt's hair, it's like there's a vertical line down the left quarter of the screen and past that line his hair turns either green or yellow with sporadic white dots. Doesn't seem to be a hardware issue, it's just weird.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
is there seriously no way to see all quests objectives on the map at the same time

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Burgo posted:

Iorveth save: Radovid surprises everyone and marches on Kaedwen in the winter. Henselt goes to meet him and is killed in the fighting, leading to Kaedwen's complete capitulation. No mention of Saskia's forces at all, or the Lodge's actual power (I saved Triss but also have the curse-breaking dagger).

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

ImpAtom posted:

I haven't quite decided how to interpret "junk", yet. They seem to be slapping that label on things which actually have a use or at least can be broken down into useful parts. To me, junk means crap that can only be sold to a vendor for a tiny bit of cash.

Burgo
Jun 1, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Iorveth save: Radovid surprises everyone and marches on Kaedwen in the winter. Henselt goes to meet him and is killed in the fighting, leading to Kaedwen's complete capitulation. No mention of Saskia's forces at all, or the Lodge's actual power (I saved Triss but also have the curse-breaking dagger).

well gently caress him anway!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mons Hubris posted:

I dunno, it doesn't happen to other characters or anything else in the scene. It's just Geralt's hair, it's like there's a vertical line down the left quarter of the screen and past that line his hair turns either green or yellow with sporadic white dots. Doesn't seem to be a hardware issue, it's just weird.

Ok, well just fyi I had a monitor with a big hosed up gauss'd spot and I first noticed it when a dude in a white robe walked over that part of the screen during a video.

It wasn't eye-searingly bad or anything but the closer you got to pure white the worse it got, like logarithmically. Even having a little color at all made it almost invisible.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

For the Ladies of the Wood quest, should I trust this tree spirit? I already know the crones aren't on the up and up from what literally everyone has said about them and from checking out their creepy murder dungeon, but I dunno which option is for the best. I feel like killing the spirit and the crones would be better in the long term, but where would that leave the kids? Assuming I even can do both.

I wish I knew what to actually keep and what to sell when it comes to crafting materials because I have so goddamn much but I have no clue what any of it is. Should I deconstruct this poo poo? Keep it as is? Presumably the answer is that I need both the base and advanced materials, but hell if I know when either is gonna come into play.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

is there seriously no way to see all quests objectives on the map at the same time

No, but you can alternate quest objectives by pressing in the right stick outside of the world map. I kinda like it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

One tip I saw on Kotaku but haven't had the guts to follow up on myself is that if you drop items on the ground they never go away. If that's true you can just pick a signpost as your stash and drop everything there to unfuck your inventory. Pretty clunky but supposedly it works so far as the writer could discern.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

For the Ladies of the Wood quest, should I trust this tree spirit? I already know the crones aren't on the up and up from what literally everyone has said about them and from checking out their creepy murder dungeon, but I dunno which option is for the best. I feel like killing the spirit and the crones would be better in the long term, but where would that leave the kids? Assuming I even can do both.

The Crones are the slightly less bad option.

Of all the racism in this game, the worst of it is the last couple times my weapons have been confiscated they haven't confiscated this sweet axe. Axes are weapons too! :mad:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Orv posted:

The Crones are the slightly less bad option.

That's what I figured. Oh well. Thanks for the help.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Burgo posted:

i did the simulated import and the guy who asks you questions about your choices doesn't ask if you killed Henselt or not

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
I have a monocle in my quest bag but nothing in my quest log about a monocle. Is that for later?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ludwig van Halen posted:

i did the simulated import and the guy who asks you questions about your choices doesn't ask if you killed Henselt or not

It's unimportant anyway, changes one line of dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Mons Hubris posted:

Try turning off "vignetting". It's either under video or post-processing settings.