Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Drifter posted:

I circled it in a screenshot of my game for you.

Do you know if that is still there for controller?

efb: woops, double posted, quote is not edit...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

MinibarMatchman posted:

easily one of my biggest complaints about Dragon Age Inquisition was the amount of useless loving trinkets and random poo poo you got for crafting a zillion things. what is it with medieval games and giving you metric tons of worthless garbage constantly.

This is the best part of the game's item system. My Geralt is a rapacious looter.

Gold amulet? Sure. It'll sell for a pretty penny.

Sword from a fallen bandit? Bet the blacksmith will buy that.

Every rusty sword and weapon from that battlefield in white orchard? Hello free gold coins! Hope the dead don't mind me looting their corpses!

A bucket? Well, it'll sell for something right?

A rope ladder? Well why the gently caress not?

My Geralt has stolen more poo poo than a company of soldiers so far. I've left entire villages (even more) destitute in my insatiable lust for useless crap. Best part is that it's the only way to get some stuff from what I can tell.

Edit: Holy poo poo. Bandits can ride horses. And will chase you. I got jumped by a trio of them while riding along the rode. Also it turns out that bandits are no match for an Endrega Warrior. That was a nice chase scene and ensuing carnage. :stare:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 20, 2015

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Recent advancements in Witcher Science has enabled the using of alcohol to replenish your potions. Because of this revolutionary breakthrough, the recipes have changed and the older ones are now outdated.

The Witchers discovered the secrets of homeopathy between the games.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Man, it sure would be neat if this game didn't freeze every 15 mins for no reason

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I am running a 760 at 1680x1050, and have recently turned everything from Ultra to high. My framerate went up from just shy 30 to about 45-50. That's pretty sweet.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Do you know if that is still there for controller?

I don't know. I don't have a controller the game registers, sorry.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Andrast posted:

Nothing should weight anything. Carrying capacity is always a bad idea and just makes the game worse. The same with equipment durability.

Yeah it'd be nice. Durability just feels like a thing to waste your money on.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Honest Thief posted:

Man, it sure would be neat if this game didn't freeze every 15 mins for no reason

Config? What are you doing when it freezes?

I have yet to see a crash.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Archonex posted:

Gold amulet? Sure. It'll sell for a pretty penny.
Make really, really sure they don't break down into gems you want to use, though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah it'd be nice. Durability just feels like a thing to waste your money on.

But an open world game where you CAN'T collect lovely, literally worthless trinkets? MY IMMERSION!!>!>!!!

I honestly think games like this need to get the gently caress over collecting broken mopheads and pieces of grass.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Ravenfood posted:

Make really, really sure they don't break down into gems you want to use, though.

What are gems for? I've not done any deconstruction yet.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Airfoil posted:

Config? What are you doing when it freezes?

I have yet to see a crash.

i5-4670
970gtx
It's random, sometimes when wandering, sometimes when on dialogs

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Archonex posted:

Seems they're used for some of the higher tier swords, maybe some for armor as well. I got one level 35 sword diagram that needed a ruby, I believe.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Honest Thief posted:

i5-4670
970gtx

Does it actually crash or just hang for a few seconds?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Archonex posted:

Gems break down into dust, iirc, which (so far) can be used to make some nice gear. The gems are also needed for some gear.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Btw guys, read books. They give you free bestiary entries, and can sometimes even give you alchemy recipes.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Honest Thief posted:

i5-4670
970gtx

It's definitely something to do with the drivers and that model of card.

I have the same model and it crashes intermittently. The first time it happened I got a notice in windows by quickly alt tabbing out to task manager that the drivers had failed. Every time after that the Witcher 3 hard locks my computer and forces me to reset it before I can forcibly close the program.

Definitely an annoying bug. And a worrying one too given that I have a SSD. I don't want to just cut the power to the thing for fear of screwing it up. :stonk:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Thug Lessons posted:

Does it actually crash or just hang for a few seconds?

Hangs then I kill the application, used to come back, now it just sits there, stopped

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

Hangs then I kill the application, used to come back, now it just sits there, stopped

This is interesting because I get the exact same experience as you... except my game just hangs for 5 seconds and then starts working again. I'm sitting there thinking "this should be a crash" but it comes back every time. Hope it doesn't progress to full-blown Witcher AIDS.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Broken Cog posted:

Btw guys, read books. They give you free bestiary entries, and can sometimes even give you alchemy recipes.

I avoid the inventory like the plague, since it randomly hangs/hard locks.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Archonex posted:

It's definitely something to do with the drivers and that model of card.

I have the same model and it crashes intermittently. The first time it happened I got a notice in windows by quickly alt tabbing out to task manager that the drivers had failed. Every time after that the Witcher 3 hard locks my computer and forces me to reset it.

Definitely an annoying bug. And a worrying one too given that I have a SSD. I don't want to just cut the power to the thing for fear of screwing it up. :stonk:

Honest Thief posted:

i5-4670
970gtx

Same card, no crashes here.

Do either of you have any overclocking applied?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Some guy was telling me he had crashes and setting the max prerendered frames to the lowest setting fixed it so you can try that if you haven't already.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Torpor posted:

I avoid the inventory like the plague, since it randomly hangs/hard locks.

Yeah I hope this is up there for the most urgent things they're working on fixing, it seems really common on many different setups. And it just makes me love the inventory even more :shepface:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Also same card and no crashes so far, haven't been able to play much though. I'm on an i5-3550. GPU is an Asus Strix GTX 970 with a slight factory OC.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Honest Thief posted:

I have the same card and was getting crashes.

I turned off the NVIDIA Streamer Service, Set my Framerate cap to Unlimited and turn on Vsync. Since then I haven't had a single crash in game.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

nope, im gonna kill the nvidia services

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

m.hache posted:

I turned off the NVIDIA Streamer Service, Set my Framerate cap to Unlimited and turn on Vsync. Since then I haven't had a single crash in game.

I have an r9 290 and putting the cap to unlimited stopped my frequent menu crashes also. But I only played a couple hours last night though

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Where can I find Uma? I haven't seen him since the cutscene he was introduced in.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Drifter posted:

I circled it in a screenshot of my game for you.

edit: I just noticed I had honeycomb in my item use slot...that's bullshit, since I didn't put it there. I think it autoloads or something. gently caress that, how stupid. I want to sell those honeycomb, not loving USE them .:mad:

It definitely auto loads. I ran through my food and was mashing the usable button while dodging a cave full of nekkers and it auto loaded alcohol so geralt go drunk and my screen went hazy. Drunken nekker fighting is quite fun though

I think I'm going to get him drunk and do some bare knuckle boxing

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I forgot that some people get pissed if you rummage through crates in front of them so my first death in this game was getting mobbed by 20 angry dudes because I nabbed some garbage out of a barrel in the Nilfgaard garrison.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
If you are experiencing huge slowdowns, especially during camera closeup scenes, this is probably because you have the Nvidia HairFX or whatever option set to all or Geralt. If you have a weak Nvidia card or any ATI, TURN THAT poo poo OFF. That one option alone can account for more than 20FPS difference if you have an ATI card.

Also regarding the Ladies of the Woods, IMO the Ladies are objectively and in a vacuum, the greater evil, but the better option in the context of the needs of the people during Geralt's stint. I mean drat, they demand child sacrifice in Hansel and Gretel-fashion, and feed the scraps to their followers once a year (pot of boiled meat anyone?). In exchange for curses-disguised-as-blessings, the poor, stupid, and powerless peasantry are manipulated into being tools for the Ladies to inflict their will on the world, such as cutting down trees to expand the swamp, which invoked the ire of their only true regional rival, the True Neutral druid. I think Geralt gets it wrong when he says the spirit was "evil" to the Ealderman. It only seems that way because the spirit wants to exact terrible justice on the Ladies for their innumerable crimes against nature, and unfortunately the peasants have to bear the brunt of Nature's blind wrath.

However, I killed the spirit because gently caress magic and because the alternative option's chain of events leads to the Baron's death and implies that horrible broken men-ruled rape-and-pillage regime will take his place,
which is way worse to me then the plight of some swamp people

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Game runs surprisingly smooth on my i7-920@3.4 and Radeon 7970. I've set everything on high, save for hair physics, despite game suggesting ultra. 1980x1200 resolution.
My only gripe is with inventory management and shops - there should be some serious streamlining coming in some later patches. Stuff like giving items categories, and then sell all/break all from category view.
Gwent rocks, but it made me remember why I've never tried any CCG.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The computer cheats so much at gqent it sucks

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Almost Smart posted:

I'm playing this on a 60 inch screen and sitting less than 10 feet away, but I feel like I need a loving telescope to read any of the text. I just had an eye exam on Monday so it's not just lovely eyesight.

I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of the finer details because every time I look up an item and see a wall of text describing it, I'm like "nope."

What system is this on? I'm on a PS4 with a 60" and the text seems absolutely fine, and not smaller than any other text in any other game. I haven't changed any of the settings, either. My PS4 is set to use 1080p on my 1080p set..

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

theDOWmustflow posted:

If you are experiencing huge slowdowns, especially during camera closeup scenes, this is probably because you have the Nvidia HairFX or whatever option set to all or Geralt. If you have a weak Nvidia card or any ATI, TURN THAT poo poo OFF. That one option alone can account for more than 20FPS difference if you have an ATI card.

Also regarding the Ladies of the Woods, IMO the Ladies are objectively and in a vacuum, the greater evil, but the better option in the context of the needs of the people during Geralt's stint. I mean drat, they demand child sacrifice in Hansel and Gretel-fashion, and feed the scraps to their followers once a year (pot of boiled meat anyone?). In exchange for curses-disguised-as-blessings, the poor, stupid, and powerless peasantry are manipulated into being tools for the Ladies to inflict their will on the world, such as cutting down trees to expand the swamp, which invoked the ire of their only true regional rival, the True Neutral druid. I think Geralt gets it wrong when he says the spirit was "evil" to the Ealderman. It only seems that way because the spirit wants to exact terrible justice on the Ladies for their innumerable crimes against nature, and unfortunately the peasants have to bear the brunt of Nature's blind wrath.

However, I killed the spirit because gently caress magic and because the alternative option's chain of events leads to the Baron's death and implies that horrible broken men-ruled rape-and-pillage regime will take his place,
which is way worse to me then the plight of some swamp people

There's also the kids, but I guess it's easy to forget about them.
It's kinda funny how the spirit is all "Please release me, I must go and rescue the kids!", and then the first thing he does is destroy an entire hamlet.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Holy gently caress the Botchling.

We've got us one of those "GotY's" I read about in ancient tomes, I think.

Falcon24
Sep 9, 2004
Am I missing something with upgraded potion/oil recipes? They require that you use the base potion or oil to make the upgraded variety, but in some cases I never made the base potion so I have no idea how to unlock the upgraded one. Are there any vendors that actually sell completed potions?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
At what point in the main story after leaving White Orchard do you guys figure makes the most sense to gently caress off and do side stuff?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Verranicus posted:

At what point in the main story after leaving White Orchard do you guys figure makes the most sense to gently caress off and do side stuff?

I've been clearing PoIs around a couple towns at a time in between obvious major story chunks. Do a multipart quest, romp around the countryside a bit.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Verranicus posted:

I did side stuff from level 1 -> 2, then I did the quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Verranicus posted:

I would say if you want to be slightly more efficient, there's an item you get from the 'find the witch' branch of the main quest in Velen that you need to explore some areas. Maybe get that and then go hog wild, or just roam where you will, you're a witcher harry.