Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Soonmot posted:

I'd still love to get a vampire or werewolf game going here.

What about a vampwolf game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

They sent out links to the M20 PDF!

It doesn't work. :(

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
They've resent the links!

It does work! :)

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The Syndicate's 'Primal Utility' Sphere posted:

For a Syndicate character, however, Prime flows through investing and withdrawing energetic currency through Ventures (value generating Nodes – see the chart below) that manipulate the metaphysical economies of human value. By accessing what they call “creation’s credit rating”, the hypereconomist controls that currency, investing it where it does the most good… for him.

Oh my God I love this stupid, wonderful game. :allears:

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Cabbit posted:

Oh my God I love this stupid, wonderful game. :allears:

mumblemumble blockchain

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Waaaait a minute...are the full page pictures before each chapter supposed to be oracles or at least the major trad-representing characters from oMage?

Edit: Hell yeah, they actually included the Data sphere!

Pussy Cartel fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 19, 2015

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Rand Brittain posted:

Dreaming is bad because, basically, it's about growing up and the pains and joys of that, and it was written by people who had not grown up yet and did not have valuable perspectives to share on the subject.

Which makes it theoretically pretty good material to return to twenty years later and hopefully wiser.

Mexcillent posted:

I think it shouldn't be a game about growing up also I'm pretty sure some key contributors were old as hell even in the 1990s.

Then it's even more embarrassing that they hadn't grown up yet.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm really glad I sprung for the print edition of M20, this book is pretty as hell.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Holy Christ, there's still a fax machine on the cover.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Glad I went for the Quintessence edition to resell later. This is gonna be like nerd cocaine in a couple of years.

Also I definitely haven't forgotten that Mage game I'm meant to be running, expect a big-rear end intro post soon(tm).

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Loomer posted:

Glad I went for the Quintessence edition to resell later. This is gonna be like nerd cocaine in a couple of years.

Also I definitely haven't forgotten that Mage game I'm meant to be running, expect a big-rear end intro post soon(tm).

I really wish I had thrown in for the Quintessence edition at the time. I'll be happy to get my hands on the deluxe edition when it's finally finished, though.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

moths posted:

Holy Christ, there's still a fax machine on the cover.

Isn't that the same art from an older edition?

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Swagger Dagger posted:

Every edition's cover has featured the Mage tarot card with Dante and a fax machine.

Tiran Dirth
Feb 6, 2014
I need to drop this on to a tablet, that'll be a fun stretch of reading.

And then I have to resist the urge to run a game; no matter how much I want to I don't have time until after summer.

Damnit Onyx Path, why now?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Swagger Dagger posted:

It is, but the x20 stuff sort-of brings the lines into 2015. He should at least have a first gen 3D printer or a Zune by now.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
To celebrate the return of the 90s Technocracy, have some NWO material. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o64NGQsZzCI

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

JohnnyCanuck posted:

What about a vampwolf game?

Are you running one?

Honestly, the crossover chronicle I'd like to see, especially once Mage is out is a street level mixed demi-splat game. That seems like it'd be really fun.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
You know, while the film Noah wasn't all that good, the scenes where Noah sneaks into the siege camp feels completely on the money for what a lupus garou wandering into the First City would experience.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Loomer posted:

You say that, but prices for the Grand Masquerade plummeted after people realised nobody's gonna pay that much money for a book. US Ebay still has some for $500 dollars that aren't going to sell but over here in the UK I think the asking price is now something like £150 - which is obviously a lot of money for a book but nowhere near what people were expecting it to be at the time.

Source: A friend of mine is trying to offload his and was disappointed at how little it was worth.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
If that happens, gently caress it. I've got a shiny book.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The Grand Masquerade editions plummeted when the collector's V20 came out. It was the exact same book without the gaudy GRAND MASQUERADE yearbook cover.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Having seen the character art for the various splats in M20, it fills me with a certain perverse joy to see that the Traditions are a rather homogenous lot. Ethnically, they're diverse, but almost every single one of them are young people in trendy (and/or capital-A Alternative) clothes with tattoos and the alike. Diversity in age and style exists only outside the Traditions, which is amusing given how the book claims they're all about inclusion. :V

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It wouldn't be the first time Mage authors miss their own point.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Mage 20's Traditions being exactly as diverse and exactly as inclusive as the gentrified hipster Brooklyn is exactly what I expect out of a game of playing justified solipsists.

Ocanthus
Sep 29, 2009
So the pdf isn't purchasable yet, right?

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is just a general impression from reading these threads, but oWoD seems like maybe the lamest poo poo imaginable.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It's more the most 90's poo poo imaginable, for good and for ill.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Old World of Darkness isn't all bad but it had very little quality control and it was 90s as gently caress. It absolutely was the goofiest poo poo imaginable though.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
One of the things I like the most about the OWOD is the very 90's sense of impending doom- history is leading up to something big and bad and it's coming soon. You get that any time there's a big, round number (like 2000, say) coming up, and all of the OWOD games except Wraith have it, and Wraith goes out on a bang that destroys the major structure of the setting anyway. Requiem has much better politics, but it's missing that sense of desperation and doom that Masquerade at its best had.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I think they were attempting to replace it with a sense of paranoia by adding in the Strix. Or at least give STs a "Man with a machine gun" to throw at players whenever they feel things are getting too boring and stable

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Fsmhunk posted:

This is just a general impression from reading these threads, but oWoD seems like maybe the lamest poo poo imaginable.

It's more that the majority of the people in here believe in tough love for things they like, especially things that were often half baked.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 20, 2015

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pope Guilty posted:

One of the things I like the most about the OWOD is the very 90's sense of impending doom- history is leading up to something big and bad and it's coming soon. You get that any time there's a big, round number (like 2000, say) coming up, and all of the OWOD games except Wraith have it, and Wraith goes out on a bang that destroys the major structure of the setting anyway. Requiem has much better politics, but it's missing that sense of desperation and doom that Masquerade at its best had.

This is a cool theme, to see it explored more you should check out GLORANTHA

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Loomer posted:

To celebrate the return of the 90s Technocracy, have some NWO material. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o64NGQsZzCI

Wasn't the Technocracy some really dumb, anti-science stuff? Like, basically, scientists are evil for making consensual reality or something? Though, according to my friend who I asked about this, it's all because the 90s were anti-authority and science was seen as "an authority on knowledge."

Fsmhunk posted:

I don't know. Reading Werewolf: The Apocalypse 20th Anniversary made it sound cool and I normally hate New Age Hippie Bullshit.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The Technocracy was a lot of different stuff at different times. In 1e they were basically Reality Police and it wasn't even completely sure that they were human. In 2e they were an Orwellian conspiracy to control human thought that had grown completely out of control itself, to the point that nobody knew who was actually in charge and anybody who asked would have the fact noted on their disciplinary record. Revised tried to make them more playable and focused more on the people at the bottom who just wanted a world that didn't have all these vampires and werewolves running around.

Different people like different versions of the organization.The Guide to the Technocracy, the biggest and most canonical book for a long period, was a 2e book. The Revised versions of their splatbooks only got one (mostly dull) book published before the line ended, but the revival of the classic WoD resulted in the other four getting published in the last few years. I don't really prefer their take on the Union but they're extremely high-quality supplements.

"Anti-science" stuff tends to come in via the association with other games, where the Technocracy is equivalent to the Weaver in Werewolf and is thus associated with Stasis and, in Changeling terms, Banality. These references never really fit into Mage all that well. At any rate, the game contains plenty of heroic and fanciful scientists, like the Sons of Ether and the Virtual Adepts.

Meanwhile, M20 is a very pretty book aside from some questionable art choices, but it seems to be taking a really hard ant-Traditions tack, to the point that the Hollow Ones and a bunch of the Crafts have gotten together to make their own Traditions with blackjack, and hookers.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The point with the Disparates making their own little council is that they believe that the Technocracy has become completely corrupted by the Nephandi, and that the Disparates also believe that the Trads are completely blind to the Technocracy's corruption and still see it like they always have. Whether the Technocracy really has been taken over by the Fallen is up to STs to decide.

And as for the Technocracy being pure evil, the book's default stance is that the Technocracy was full of good intentions, and there are good people trying to make things better for humanity, but centuries of being on top have combined with the Technocratic obsession with order to make the Union hidebound and obsessed with micromanaging and organizing things for their own sakes rather than to make a better world for everyone. In short, the Technocracy has succumbed to the same thing that prevented the Order of Hermes from enlightening the masses way back in the middle ages.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Sons of Ether, of course, abandoned modern science for the fantasy science of yesteryear, particularly Victorian steampunk bullshit (with a side order of colonialism) and the atomic wonders of the 50s (with a side order of radiation and cold war mindset). The Virtual Adepts were 90s cyberpunk hackers. Neither has much resemblance to actual scientists; then again, neither does any version of the Technocracy, because Mage has always been about 90s stereotypes and magic, rather than anything even vaguely science-related.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Werewolf's anti-science stuff is also something of a relic of 1st edition, mostly because 1st edition Werewolf put forth the idea that any level of human development beyond hunter/gatherer society is inherently evil. While at the same time having all the werewolf tribes pull off ridiculously out of character schemes and backstabbing machinations that would make a Ventrue blush.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Mage's anti-science stuff is also a 1st edition relic, with the Technocracy originally being portrayed not as scientific mages, but rather as obedient followers of some supernatural manifestation of pure order and stasis. 2nd edition introduced the kinder, somewhat more sympathetic Technocracy that Mage kept for the rest of its run.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Meanwhile oChangelings were listening to ICP's "Miracles" on repeat because learning things just kills the magic. From what I've been told, at least. C20's gonna be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

oChangeling is weird, but it does contain a book which literally claims that Sir Isaac Newton and Newtonian physics were a plot to destroy dreams. It goes on to fellate Leibniz as a changeling hero.