Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

yo, skimming through the gdoc, can we take out the first tip under the knight? it tells people to a) get the brave blade and b) not run away from stuff ever, both of which aren't true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fister Roboto posted:

It's just hilarious that there are two ultimate weapons that boost the power of every element in the game EXCEPT for the one used by the penultimate summon. What were they even thinking?

"We probably shouldn't make Bahamut worthless since we're already making Holy better than Flare" would be my guess.

Kyrosiris posted:

Given that the best they'd be doing attacking themselves is maybe the low 300s at that point? I don't consider that chump change at all. Plus, the items you seem to be having kittens about are a grand total of 180 gil. If you don't have this, please spend a couple of minutes in Bal Castle's basement.

Also, I want to know what compositions you get that routinely let you beat fights like world 2 Exdeath, Atomos, Shinryu, etc. in five turns. :psyduck:

Beastmaster can do 9999x4 to every party of Neo Exdeath on the first round thanks to capture. After than you just magic lamp them with Bahamut/Leviathan/Syldra and I think it's dead by that point?

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
I've solved Omega - LIVE!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

OMEGA STATUS:

OFFENSE: OVERWHELMING
DEFENSE: IMPENETRABLE
EVASION: FLAWLESS
TOLERANCE FOR THIS poo poo GOING ON: 0

EXECUTING: ROBOT_SUICIDE.EXE

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Hahaha, they resumed time and he wiped them at 8 health left.

Smilefires
Dec 18, 2013

Asiina posted:

Hahaha, they resumed time and he wiped them at 8 health left.

Let's just...pretend that didn't happen.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Round 2: FOOTBALL!!

Qwarq
Apr 3, 2009

drat, it's been a year already? Participated for the first time last year and I think I finished 6 runs. The Fiesta is probably a big reason I bought and enjoyed Bravely Default as much as I did. Super hyped for this year.

My favorite team from last year had to be the 750 run with a Summoner, Black mage, Chemist and Geomancer. I killed NED at only level 25 or so and was completely untouchable. A welcome change after my first ever fiesta run with Zerker/Zerker/Monk/Bard.

No idea what Chaos mode is, but now I'm imagining a romhack where the 4 available jobs are shuffled after every boss.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Full Fiesta Now*!

*soon

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I actually started playing with the random team someone rolled for me earlier, whenever I feel like it. It really is team No Challenge.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
Last year I rolled the ridiculously powerful team of White Mage, Summoner, Bard, and Chemist. With a team like that, I had to kill both superbosses, and I killed Gogo too because I could.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Decided to try a chaos run given out by carbybot. I have named it "Team No Damage.". Thief, white mage, white mage, monk. This is painful as hell.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Khisanth Magus posted:

Decided to try a chaos run given out by carbybot. I have named it "Team No Damage.". Thief, white mage, white mage, monk. This is painful as hell.

Give the thief brawl and steal a twin lance in the bal castle basement (about the point when brawl stops being useful on its own, really) to get some pretty decent damage, endgame worthy if you berserk him.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

dis astranagant posted:

Give the thief brawl and steal a twin lance in the bal castle basement (about the point when brawl stops being useful on its own, really) to get some pretty decent damage, endgame worthy if you berserk him.

Endgame the thief should be using Mug with the chicken knife.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
If we're talking about like actual Cleft of Dimensions endgame that party should just have four people spamming Holy

There's another piece of advice for newcomers in World 3 with access to White Magic: Holy is loving amazing in this game. At 20 MP it costs less than Flare or even the elemental -aga spells while dealing about 50% more damage than the latter and, unlike Flare, having elemental boosting equipment; it's another reason White Mage is one of the best jobs aside from all that healing stuff

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Holy is in fact the strongest spell in the game

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zombies' Downfall posted:

If we're talking about like actual Cleft of Dimensions endgame that party should just have four people spamming Holy

There's another piece of advice for newcomers in World 3 with access to White Magic: Holy is loving amazing in this game. At 20 MP it costs less than Flare or even the elemental -aga spells while dealing about 50% more damage than the latter and, unlike Flare, having elemental boosting equipment; it's another reason White Mage is one of the best jobs aside from all that healing stuff

Chicken knife thief tops unboosted holy by a hair, though it is more sensitive to enemy defense scores.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

dis astranagant posted:

Chicken knife thief tops unboosted holy by a hair, though it is more sensitive to enemy defense scores.

That kinda surprises me but the post stands as a testament to how great Holy is. !White goes incredibly well on a Monk and is basically the reason my Classic run didn't make me pull my hair out.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

That kinda surprises me but the post stands as a testament to how great Holy is. !White goes incredibly well on a Monk and is basically the reason my Classic run didn't make me pull my hair out.

Yeah, White Monks are actually pretty good. That said, Classic runs are supposed to be Natural. :ssh:

(natural is loving stupid, friends don't let friends play natural runs)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Thief chicken knife M ends up pretty much exactly double white mage magic M at level 30 so you're looking at 127 * 20 vs 241 * 10. Around level 35-40 thief M pulls ahead and stays there.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, White Monks are actually pretty good. That said, Classic runs are supposed to be Natural. :ssh:

(natural is loving stupid, friends don't let friends play natural runs)

In retrospect I think it was the first Random I ever did and not Classic; iirc my actual Classic run was Kn/Kn/WM/WM and was both incredibly painless and incredibly dull.

I just started a pre-Fiesta run of GBA by the way since I've never played GBA before; is all of the added content like new jobs World 3/postgame stuff? And if I decide to run it instead of SFAM this year, is there a comprehensive list of version differences I can look at?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I just started a pre-Fiesta run of GBA by the way since I've never played GBA before; is all of the added content like new jobs World 3/postgame stuff? And if I decide to run it instead of SFAM this year, is there a comprehensive list of version differences I can look at?

Yeah. The biggest differences are that Vampire absorbs your entire missing HP (instead of half), and Gilgamesh on Big Bridge can't be silenced.

Oh, and the Quicksave glitch.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

In retrospect I think it was the first Random I ever did and not Classic; iirc my actual Classic run was Kn/Kn/WM/WM and was both incredibly painless and incredibly dull.

Everything new is postgame or drat near it. The first 3 new classes unlock after unsealing all twelve weapons and the bonus dungeon doesn't unlock til after NED.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The best new content though is throughout the entire game: the new translation.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

That crab monster got served!

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Fister Roboto posted:

The best way to deal with random encounters is to not deal with them.
From the last page, but this is very salient advice for the Fiesta. A sizable chunk of the game is inessential to most Fiesta runs, grinding isn't really necessary and the Chicken Knife is its own reward. Always skip the boring stuff.

Edit: Actually, it's very easy to do an impromptu "speedrun" of FFV when you're in the Fiesta if you're familiar with the game. Heaven help you if you run the clock out on Omniscient, though.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Sometimes you can get really lucky on Omniscient though!

Last year he killed himself on my reflect ring and I didn't even need to run down his MP. I was ready for a stupid-long slog of just waiting for him to run out since I was doing a classic run and rolled Thief/Knight/Knight/Knight.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
On a run in my first Fiesta, I ended up killing Omega by doing the Poison Rod/Quick trick. That was a pretty long wait as well.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

MonsieurChoc posted:

"Let her go, you fiendish, lecherous, piratety pirate!"
"Oh my stars and comets! HE'S A SHE!"
"Creeping crawdads! Something's got a hold on the ship!"

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Twelve by Pies posted:

On a run in my first Fiesta, I ended up killing Omega by doing the Poison Rod/Quick trick. That was a pretty long wait as well.

Experience The Void all over again.

Twice!

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
yesssss, time to dig out the GBA.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

How exactly do you poison Omega? Does it have to be specifically with a Poison Rod? I tried that a couple years ago with the Quick trick and didn't notice anything. I even had the game on 10x speed for like, an hour.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Alabaster White posted:

How exactly do you poison Omega? Does it have to be specifically with a Poison Rod? I tried that a couple years ago with the Quick trick and didn't notice anything. I even had the game on 10x speed for like, an hour.

You actually don't "poison" him, you hit him with Sap, which is a different status. It causes his health to tick down continuously as opposed to doing damage at set intervals like poison. And yes, I believe poison rods are the only way to inflict it on Omega.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
It should also be noted that due to Omega's inherent Reflect, you can't target him directly with the rod, you have to have Reflect set up on one of your characters and bounce it onto him.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Tyty posted:

Last year he killed himself on my reflect ring and I didn't even need to run down his MP. I was ready for a stupid-long slog of just waiting for him to run out since I was doing a classic run and rolled Thief/Knight/Knight/Knight.

Why the hell :psyduck: Is there even anything worth getting for that setup past the first tablet? Excalibur and Assassin Dagger are the only weapons that setup can use, you get the Chicken Knife right away, and there's not really any majorly worthwhile weapons or armor in the Trench or Istory. Was a second Aegis Shield that important?

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 21, 2015

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

Why the hell :psyduck: Is there even anything worth getting for that setup past the first tablet? Excalibur and Assassin Dagger are the only weapons that setup can use, you get the Chicken Knife right away, and there's not really any majorly worthwhile weapons or armor in the Trench or Istory. Was a second Aegis Shield that important?

Aegis Shields are always that good, for one. For two, Fork Tower has the Defender, which is always that good. Defender/(Brave Blade or Chicken Knife)/Excalibur still leaves one more weapon, and the Rune Blade's an excellent option. I'd skip the Trench, but I'd certainly hit Istory and Fork Tower with that team.

EDIT: So I just did the math out, since I'm bored. For reference, the Rune Blade has 70 Attack with MP and uses the rune formula. The Enhancer has 102 attack and the normal sword formula. Level 37 Knight Lenna has Strength 48 and Magic 14. Neo Exdeath has 30 Defense, and if there's anyone who you care about slight differences against, it's him.

Enhancer uses the normal sword formula, so it does 102~114 - 30 * (((48 * 37) / 128) + 2). So, 72~84 * 15, or 1080-1260.
Rune Blade uses the rune formula, so we're looking at 35~105 - 7 * (((48 * 37) / 128) + ((14 * 37) / 128) + 2). So, 28~98 * 19, or 532~1862.

I chose those numbers as 37 is a reasonable endgame level. It also provides a breakpoint in M for Lenna, giving her one more point of multiplier with the Rune Blade. It works out to be slightly better on average.

However, as you gain levels, the Rune Blade pulls away more and more, adding on more multiplier despite its seemingly low power. So that's a thing, if you regularly end up at higher levels than that. The Rune Blade also pulls ahead against anything with higher defense (Necrophobia and Exdeath's tree form. And, of course, Shinryu).

Rosalie_A fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 21, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

Holy is in fact the strongest spell in the game

Flare is the strongest in terms of the actual attack power, but it can't be boosted by equipment or exploit elemental weaknesses. It does ignore defense, though, so it's better than boosted Holy against high magic defense enemies that aren't weak to Holy.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The thing is very few enemies actually have Magic Defense of note.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Trasson posted:

Aegis Shields are always that good, for one. For two, Fork Tower has the Defender, which is always that good. Defender/(Brave Blade or Chicken Knife)/Excalibur still leaves one more weapon, and the Rune Blade's an excellent option. I'd skip the Trench, but I'd certainly hit Istory and Fork Tower with that team.

This is pretty much the reason. That and I thought I actually needed to go inside Istory for the lamp. :downs:

I believe my final setup was Exalibur/Defender/Ragnarok (Lucky steal from NED, was using Enchanter before)/Chicken Knife when I beat the game, with one of the knights twohanding Excalibur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I totally forgot the Defender was a thing, to be honest. :downs: How do the Rune Blade/Enhancer compare to the Assassin's Dagger, damage-wise? I know both the Brave Blade and Chicken Knife beat them out in optimal settings, but I don't know how the lower tier weapons compare.

• Locked thread