Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Fuubi posted:

whoa I'm up next~! And against a snakeperson to boot!

So a quick, venomous death for me eh? I suggest placing all your bets on the one with a really witty name and not on the one with the really boring name. :cheeky:

Venomous deaths in DF can be described in a lot of ways, but quick isn't one of them. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I made poor financial decisions this round on top of my poor managerial choices.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Anchors posted:

I made poor financial decisions this round on top of my poor managerial choices.

Well consistency is important.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren:Round 1, Final Fight:siren:

Fuubi is a female Tigerman fighter managed by Fuubi carrying a huge bronze sword and a smattering of armor. Most surprising is the heavy silver shield.
Really Witty Name is a male Serpent Man fighter managed by Doobeedoo carrying a spear and light armor and a wood shield.

The gladiators meet. Really Witty Name casually parries his opponents blow, then stabs Fuubi in the left calf which tears muscles, chips bone, and sends the tigress to the floor.

Really Witty Name blocks a blow with his shield, then stabs Fuubi in the left paw which fractures bone. Arteries and ligaments are torn asunder. Fuubi passes out.

Congrats to Really Witty Name for the shortest fight of the tournament. 16 lines of combat was all it took!

Winner: Really Witty Name

Combat Log

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.
I...I won?!

I mean... Of course I won. Yes. :shepface:

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

Doobeedoo posted:

I...I won?!

I mean... Of course I won. Yes. :shepface:

Your character and the outcome of the fight remind me of an Elder Scrolls book: The Armourer's Challenge. Granted, the opponent was different, but still. :golfclap:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Aaaannd, bet leader after round one iiiiis: :smuggo:

Oh ye of little faith.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Can someone post that size comparison image again? Also, how big a difference in strength is there between an ant-woman and a strangler? Wondering if an all-shield bashing four armed death ape might have been better.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Maarak posted:

Can someone post that size comparison image again? Also, how big a difference in strength is there between an ant-woman and a strangler? Wondering if an all-shield bashing four armed death ape might have been better.

They're in the OP.

Not quite up to date due to a number of changes, but still fairly accurate.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
So I did some testing around with my fight against Floss Thrice Daily.

Let's just say its going to be either a really long fight or a really short fight. For reference, in one of the fights I lost my minotaur died of infection

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Infection? I should floss more.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Carver is good to go for round two. There's a lot of money to be made for betters in that match, too!

Fuubi
Jan 18, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Spermy Smurf posted:

Fuubi carrying a huge bronze sword and a smattering of armor. Most surprising is the heavy silver shield.
I really need to read up on stuff for next time...

Spermy Smurf posted:

Congrats to fuubi for losing the shortest fight of the tournament. 16 lines of combat was all it took!

Yay, I did something! :haw:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Fuubi posted:

Yay, I did something! :haw:

Its usually Munki, so he may try to win back his crown next tournament.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
The Yeti is ready to rumble once more.

The thought of an unfeeling mole with a steel greataxe is slightly terrifying. I'm really not sure how this one will play out (assuming I've guessed your build right, Silverminnow!)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Its usually Munki, so he may try to win back his crown next tournament.

Even in being the most loserest I cannot succeed.

Fuubi
Jan 18, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bad Munki posted:

Even in being the most loserest I cannot succeed.

It was probably just a fluke. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll suck the most again next time...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

goatface posted:

Serious question: Can a snakeperson inject their venom if they've had all their teeth knocked out?

Apparently yes.

Yeti 8 scratches Serpent Woman 7 in the teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Followed by Serpent Woman 7 repeatedly biting and poisoning him.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 21, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Fangs are tracked separately from regular teeth.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Although there's no great hurry, since Spermy won't be back to run fights until next Tuesday, the following fighters need to be updated before we can start the next round.

The Skewer managed by Ramc
Fan Favourite Joss Whedon managed by Coward updated already

If these this fighters are is updated soon, however, then I may be able to run a couple of fights before Spermy gets back. Just sayin'. No pressure or anything.

In the meantime, betting on Round 2 is open!

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 10:47 on May 21, 2015

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Okay. Should be reasonably ready.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Maaan, people seem to really think I'm going to lose.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

my dad posted:

Maaan, people seem to really think I'm going to lose.

Well, I guess that post evened out the bets, you're nearly at parity now.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Hammerdwarf versus spear kobold, huh? Well The Skewer killed one dwarf in the ring already. What is one more?

Totally betting on myself when I get home.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wow, my fight is skewed.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.
...I am already planning a stupid gimmick build for the next tournament.

Having multiple shields increases the chances of blocking, right?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I'm not actually sure whether that is the case in the DF version the tournament is running, has anyone done any testing on that in the current build? Carver has two, anyway.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Doobeedoo posted:

...I am already planning a stupid gimmick build for the next tournament.

Having multiple shields increases the chances of blocking, right?

I am shocked and disturbed that my brilliant Troll biter plan didn't work out.

Clearly a fluke and I should try again next time.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

pun pundit posted:

I'm not actually sure whether that is the case in the DF version the tournament is running, has anyone done any testing on that in the current build? Carver has two, anyway.

I think it's the case.
My opponent's got three of them, after all.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Yes, separate shields block separately as far as I can see.

I tested some time ago by having mirror antwoman matches, same skills/equipment except the one had one shield and the other three. Three-shield won very regularly.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ZeeToo posted:

Yes, separate shields block separately as far as I can see.

I tested some time ago by having mirror antwoman matches, same skills/equipment except the one had one shield and the other three. Three-shield won very regularly.

The trick is, of course, that the scaling isn't linear. Double the shields doesn't mean double the block chance.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I'm all in on myself - bet now for sweet winnings in the first fight.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Soo... How about them games, eh?

No, I'm not an entitled rear end in a top hat, why do you ask?

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Hey, at least you're not last on the line-up.
...And more people think you'll win than not.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.

Jack the Lad posted:

I'm all in on myself - bet now for sweet winnings in the first fight.

I bet everything I've got against you. A whole 300 Dorfbux.

Either you lose and I get some sweet profit -or- you win and take surrogate revenge on the guy that killed me.

I'm pretty cool with either outcome.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

my dad posted:

Soo... How about them games, eh?

No, I'm not an entitled rear end in a top hat, why do you ask?

18 hours at the max...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

View GBS 3,530 Floss Thrice Daily 5,174
I appreciate the show of support

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren:Round 2, Fight 1:siren:

Full Communism Now is a male Gremlin fighter managed by Jack the Lad carrying a large copper dagger. And boy does he look deadly.
Knobgoblin is a male Goblin fighter managed by synthorange carrying dual copper maces and a smattering of leather armor. Oh, plus some adamantium mail.

The gladiators meet in the center of the arena. Full Communism Now showcases his dodging skills after his attack is contemptuously batted aside by a copper mace.

The small gremlin darts forward and stabs the goblin in the hand, tearing muscle, tendons, and ligaments. Knobgoblins copper mace falls to the floor. Knobgoblin's other mace smashes into the tiny gremlin's left thigh but only causes a bruise.

Knobgoblin misses the spry Full Communism Now, then takes a return slash on his foot. The foot is now useless, Knobgoblin falls to the floor.

Knobgoblin deflects attack after attack, but many get through his defenses now that he's prone on the ground. Full Communism Now thrusts his copper dagger into the right arm which forces the second copper mace to fall from the lifeless fingers of Knobgoblin. Another stab to the forearm makes that arm completely useless.
Knobgoblin: I've been injured badly. There is no hope!

Knobgoblin is tired. Probably tired from being stabbed a dozen times to be honest.

Finally Knobgoblin passes out. Full Communism Now continues stabbing, but is unable to penetrate the helmet. 30 attacks later...

Winner: Full Communism Now

Combat Log

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Moral: Same material weapon from a smaller fighter will not penetrate a helmet. Expect to see expensive helmets as the tournament moves on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

pun pundit posted:

Moral: Same material weapon from a smaller fighter will not penetrate a helmet. Expect to see expensive helmets as the tournament moves on.

What are snakeman fangs made out of? :v:

• Locked thread