Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

YF-23 posted:

Oh, wow, what if Renard isn't responding to Anthony because Kat & co. have already sneaked in and stole him, and replaced him with just a regular doll?

No more mention of him for now, and then the final shot of this chapter is Kat going home to Rey with Kat's mark on his forehead instead of Annie's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

"annie?!"

"you look great!"

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Blackheart posted:

"annie?!"

"you look great!"

Antonio Carver remains the best dad.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
After reading today's page, I believe I have worked out why this chapter is entitled "Sneak".

Kat and the gang have devised a scheme to rescue Reynard.... and Annie's going to tell her dad on them. Look at the difference in Annie's reactions in panel 1 and panel 6. Kat's going to push ahead, completely confident of Antimony's loyalty, too young and naive to see that she's pushing Annie into an intolerable position.

It's going to be a cringingly epic chapter, for sure!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Pistol_Pete posted:

After reading today's page, I believe I have worked out why this chapter is entitled "Sneak".

Kat and the gang have devised a scheme to rescue Reynard.... and Annie's going to tell her dad on them. Look at the difference in Annie's reactions in panel 1 and panel 6. Kat's going to push ahead, completely confident of Antimony's loyalty, too young and naive to see that she's pushing Annie into an intolerable position.

Oh jesus no.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Fangz posted:

Oh jesus no.

Think about it: it all makes sense. Anthony doesn't bother to conceal his doubts about Annie's honesty: see his suspicious glance at Kat when Annie hands over her homework. Antimony is desperate to win his trust back; and how better to do that than exposing a conspiracy?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

We'll see.

"Oh Kat, you're not still going to do that, are you?"

Annie seems more helpless than anything else.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Pistol_Pete posted:

Think about it: it all makes sense. Anthony doesn't bother to conceal his doubts about Annie's honesty: see his suspicious glance at Kat when Annie hands over her homework. Antimony is desperate to win his trust back; and how better to do that than exposing a conspiracy?

Yeah, to be honest I'm waiting for there to be a point where Annie has to choose between Kat and her dad and initially chooses her dad.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
Yeah there's no way this ends well. :ohdear:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

Thank you for putting your headcanon in spoiler tags, wouldn't want to have that ruined for me.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Tony why your eyes so tiny. Tiny Eye Tony

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

"Fister Roboto" posted:

headcanon

Dead. loving. Cert.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Well, I suppose burglary would be greatly improved with teleportation.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I'm wondering if the long game of Annie's character is going to be her slowly clawing her way back up to confidence and self-respect or her popping one day and needing to be brought back from the brink of flaming lunacy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They're gonna get in and out, seem to get away with it, and then Anthony will raise her breakin at dinner at the worst possible moment, totally destroying her attempt to get her parents on her side.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
perhaps Anthony will raise circumstantial evidence of Kat breaking in, Kat will cite being at Annie's as an alibi, Anthony responds by raising the stakes, and Annie promptly folds

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

MikeJF posted:

They're gonna get in and out, seem to get away with it, and then Anthony will raise her breakin at dinner at the worst possible moment, totally destroying her attempt to get her parents on her side.

Probably. But freeing Rey is bigger than Annie's problems, her father's issues, or Kat's consequences. It needs to be done. Annie has signed away the will of a person to a completely unknown factor. It's an unacceptable action to sit upon. At least from all reasonable perspectives. Any context that lessens the seeming enormity of Rey's situation isn't available to the characters right now, or to us. Certainly, waiting for what Anthony might do has worse potential, even if retrospectively it winds up they should have waited it out more or tried to win cooler heads over to help.

Violen fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 22, 2015

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, even if it's somehow in Annie's best interest to become a demure, studious young woman in a sterile white room without any Fantasy Story Protagonist things going on... (and I guess I could see a plotline happening where Kat is overzealous in trying to "save" an Annie who doesn't want saving) it's certainly a good thing to rescue Renard. If Kat and Parley and Smitty are willing to risk the repercussions to get him out of there, good for them.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Violen posted:

Probably. But freeing Rey is bigger than Annie's problems, her father's issues, or Kat's consequences. It needs to be done.

Er, no. Those are the reasons this is happening - driving those makes the plot and character development happen. You seem to be approaching this like its some sort of historical document, rather than a narrative.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I have to say, throughout all this one thing that really bugs me is what tremendous dicks everyone is being about Annie's hair. When someone shows up with a new short haircut, especially if you think they might not be happy about it, the correct response is not to say "Oh noooooo! :(" It's the little things.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Fried Chicken posted:

Er, no. Those are the reasons this is happening - driving those makes the plot and character development happen. You seem to be approaching this like its some sort of historical document, rather than a narrative.

I guess I worded that badly. I meant that primarily from the character's point of view, especially Kat's, the deal with Annie and her father isn't going to be resolved overnight. Internal and probably external to the story, it's going to a long, painful road. With Rey, time is kind of of the essence because poo poo can go South there really quickly as far as they know.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

MikeJF posted:

I'm not so sure, I feel both Anthony wouldn't really have the social wiles to do that and the story is about Antimony having to get over her issues with her father... I feel that getting everyone on side against him even as she still supports him works in that narrative.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Did you know the Court tracks students through the food they eat? The more you know!

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
This isn't just about Rey. Kat wants to know what Tony's deal is by looking through his stuff, too.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I hope that her father twigs that something's gone on and Annie takes the blame to shield Kat, causing Anthony to become Even More Disappointed in her.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Kat not thinking things through.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

So it's not some kind of heartless schoolwork isolation chamber.

It's just Tony's idea of a house. Of course!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It kind of looks like Annie's friends are being assholes by not listening to her and respecting her wishes.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Fister Roboto posted:

It kind of looks like Annie's friends are being assholes by not listening to her and respecting her wishes.

This kind of isn't about Annie.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Strategic Tea posted:

So it's not some kind of heartless schoolwork isolation chamber.

It's just Tony's idea of a house. Of course!

"... The style I'm going for is reminiscent of where I feel most at ease: a hospital operating theatre. Just bigger. And emptier."

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I would agree, however I'm under the assumption they're doing it to rescue Renard. In that scenario, only Renard's wishes are of any importance.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, but on the other hand, enslaved person.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Pistol_Pete posted:

"... The style I'm going for is reminiscent of where I feel most at ease: a hospital operating theatre. Just bigger. And emptier."

"Give me the biggest, emptiest room you've got. Only the best for my baby girl. *wipes single tear*"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, but on the other hand, enslaved person.

He's been enslaved for years though? To the capricious whims of a teenage girl, no less.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Anthony: "Aah, finally space where I can truly be myself." (Cries.)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Fister Roboto posted:

He's been enslaved for years though? To the capricious whims of a teenage girl, no less.
Not for much longer. :q:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, but she was generally a moral person and more importantly he's been okay with that for most of the time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ah, so it's OK because she was a good slavemaster.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Prison Warden, more like. Whereas Anthony can't be trusted not to turn that into a true slavemaster. There is a difference between prison and slavery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The situation with Annie wasn't ideal, but in its most recent stage Reynardine's subjugation was mostly a formality to please the Court. (Note that Annie says she'll set him free to return to the Forest; an unbound Reynardine in the Court isn't an option.)

It was also messed up in a number of ways because Annie is capable of handing down commands without realizing it and Reynardine accepts them because he kind of hates himself, but Annie didn't know that.

It's still way better then servitude to Anthony Carver, the human cardboard.