Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
It got fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I just did it, still works.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It got fixed somewhat:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
And it's down.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
gotta read a sci-fi book for one of my classes. i've read Ender's, 1984, Brave New World, Fahrenheit 451, and all of your typical high school assigned sci fi books. what should i look into for this class?

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Forever War.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Starship Troopers or The Forever War.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I've heard you guys talk about The Forever War and I read a brief review and summary and I think it will fit the course better, so I'm gonna go with that.

Thanks!

E: Also have to watch Blade Runner.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Cole posted:

I've heard you guys talk about The Forever War and I read a brief review and summary and I think it will fit the course better, so I'm gonna go with that.

Thanks!

E: Also have to watch Blade Runner.

Read the novel Blade Runner was loosely based on: Do Android Dream Of Electric Sheep

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

holocaust bloopers posted:

Read the novel Blade Runner was loosely based on: Do Android Dream Of Electric Sheep

that's part of the curriculum as well, i just didn't know it was what blade runner was based on. had never even heard of it until today.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Cole posted:

that's part of the curriculum as well, i just didn't know it was what blade runner was based on. had never even heard of it until today.

You'd never heard of blade runner? How old are you?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cole posted:

the movie is honestly a pretty boring story, but it has really cool visuals and sound. the book is yet another trippy philip k. dick thing that sets up a lot of cool characters and scenes and then it just all peters out into nothing because he can't write an ending to save his life.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Rad Lieutenant posted:

You'd never heard of blade runner? How old are you?

the book it's based on. i saw blade runner a long time ago and i'm about to rewatch it.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
Watch the theatrical cut, then watch the director's cut. You'll really see how Ridley Scott's vision was butchered by the studio.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Cole posted:

the book it's based on. i saw blade runner a long time ago and i'm about to rewatch it.

Ahh ok. Blade runner is probably awesome to see 1st time as an adult since there's sssoooo many references made to it in pop culture that would suddenly click in to focus.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The book is incredible, and so is the movie. They're both classics for a reason.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Lazy Reservist posted:

Watch the theatrical cut, then watch the director's cut. You'll really see how Ridley Scott's vision was butchered by the studio.

I wouldn't watch the lovely version first. If he watches the Director's Cut and then feels like indulging in a little outrage, he should watch the theatrical cut.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Director's Cut only. Pretend the other version do not exist.

And Philip K. Dick is not for everyone. First of all, he wrote Androids just as he was about to deep dive into a massive psychotic break. His fascination with humanity/identity wasn't just a literary thing; PKD legitimately was struggling to understand it. He wrote a 9,000 page whatever the gently caress regarding a hallucinatory vision from God. Whatever money he did make from writing went into retarded amounts of drugs and alcohol. Robert A. Heinlein (who was PKD's diametric opposite) respected him enough as a writer to keep him floating a bit before PKD killed himself.

bloops fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 21, 2015

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Cole posted:

gotta read a sci-fi book for one of my classes. i've read Ender's, 1984, Brave New World, Fahrenheit 451, and all of your typical high school assigned sci fi books. what should i look into for this class?

read a 40k novel

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Ciphias Cain: HERO OF THE IMPERIUM

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Starship troopers is also a great book. I'm working my way through the Forever War at the moment.

As an aside, is Starship Troopers what Heinlein really believed?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Two Finger posted:

Starship troopers is also a great book. I'm working my way through the Forever War at the moment.

As an aside, is Starship Troopers what Heinlein really believed?

Yea, the movie is an over the top spoof lampooning those beliefs but the novel is played straight.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The novel is also what we would consider now Young Adult fiction. Still a great read.

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

Cole posted:

There is a novelization for The Road Warrior. But it's rare and a bitch to find

Level 7 is an old book that details how humanity dies after a nuclear exchange. It's quite depressing yet somehow compelling.

http://www.amazon.com/Level-7-Library-American-Fiction/dp/0299200647

Will they let you read short fiction? Because this anthology is one of the best I have ever read. The first story is essentially about a prison colony in pre-historic times with lots of gay sex.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-SF-1967-Harry-Harrison/dp/9997371739/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1432165937&sr=1-1&keywords=best+of+sf+1967

Post-Apocalypse combined with a unique speech style that the author uses. But loving good and Clutch wrote a song about it.

http://www.amazon.com/Canticle-Leib...+riddley+walker

Fake Edit: Level 7 is so good and an easy read. I actually highly recommend it. I assure you you'll be the only one discussing Cold War era nuke-apocalypse fiction which is monumentally depressingly great.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Yea, the movie is an over the top spoof lampooning those beliefs but the novel is played straight.

I remember a friend of mine saying he didn't like the film because it endorsed fascist beliefs. I just stared at him and asked if the scene where the schoolkids are stomping cockroaches gave him any clues.

I also remember a lot of people here mentioning a third book alongside Starship Troopers and Forever War, anyone remember what that might have been?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
read the doom novel

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Two Finger posted:

I remember a friend of mine saying he didn't like the film because it endorsed fascist beliefs. I just stared at him and asked if the scene where the schoolkids are stomping cockroaches gave him any clues.

I also remember a lot of people here mentioning a third book alongside Starship Troopers and Forever War, anyone remember what that might have been?

Old Man's War tends to get lumped in with those two. Could be that.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

read the doom novel comic book

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
If you want something that's guaranteed to piss off someone somewhere, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress and Stranger in a Strange Land are both good. Heinlein's great at pissing people off. Roadside Picnic is a really good read, if a bit short, and it's the inspiration behind Stalker.

Off-topic, because it's not sci-fi, but y'all would love Flashman by George MacDonald Frasier. Flashman is a lovely, cowardly officer in the 19th century British army who lies, cheats, and generally shitbags his way through life, and eventually winds up in Afghanistan during the retreat from Kabul in 1842. It's funny as poo poo.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 21, 2015

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Off-topic, because it's not sci-fi, but y'all would love Flashman by George MacDonald Frasier.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Ciphias Cain: HERO OF THE IMPERIUM

scifi flashman

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Spicy Guacamole posted:

If you want something that's guaranteed to piss off someone somewhere, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress and Stranger in a Strange Land are both good. Heinlein's great at pissing people off. Roadside Picnic is a really good read, if a bit short, and it's the inspiration behind Stalker.

Off-topic, because it's not sci-fi, but y'all would love Flashman by George MacDonald Frasier. Flashman is a lovely, cowardly officer in the 19th century British army who lies, cheats, and generally shitbags his way through life, and eventually winds up in Afghanistan during the retreat from Kabul in 1842. It's funny as poo poo.

I really like Heinlein. I read some book of his recently about weird slugs that jump on people's backs and control them and despite the totally ridiculous premise it was actually really drat good.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Cole posted:

read Revelation Space if you want to see the inspiration for N4I's username (hint: it's a 4km long dildo spaceship ).

or read a isaac asimov book like caves of steel or one of his foundation series books.

never read heinlein, NEVER READ HEINLEIN.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
Read "Armor" by John Steakley, it's filled with the horrors of war. Steakley also killed himself later on which was a shame because his books are pretty fun. He wrote another book called "Vampire$" that got the Starship Troopers wtf treatment when it was turned into John Carpenter's Vampires

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

never read heinlein, NEVER READ HEINLEIN.

you gotta tell me why or else it's just the "don't look down" effect

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Read Old Man's War or Hyperion.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Cole posted:

you gotta tell me why or else it's just the "don't look down" effect

INCEST, INCEST.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Read Heinlein and form your own opinion.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

holocaust bloopers posted:

Read Heinlein and form your own opinion.

about incest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Post your opinions about incest itt

• Locked thread