Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

How can I make money early on? I sold some of my Witcher gear and then discovered I need it for later upgrades and I want to buy it back now because I'm feeling obsessive about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Crooked Warden posted:

*casually plays out three spies in third round*

The AI knows what cards you have, it's ridiculous. I can't remember the exact situation, but we each had three cards left, I had two season cards and a 1 pointer, the AI knew EXACTLY what I had because it knew to play a card that was worth more than what my entire hand was worth. It was silly.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Is there a quest reward that is a new pair of witcher pants? Sold mine before I knew I had to upgrade them, can't get them back now

The pants can't be upgraded I think. The stuff that can be upgraded is marked as green.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Harrow posted:

I have to admit I'm really not enjoying Blood and Broken Bones difficulty. The battles aren't too hard for me, but the necessity to spend resources to recover Vitality, no matter what, is really killing me, especially given how hard it is to build up a decent amount of money early on. I don't want to find the game too easy, so I haven't turned it down yet, but I'm getting there.

Get the skill that heals you automatically over time each second. Also, Food is free - you should be stealing from everyone.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have that skill but never see it working. :shrug:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Drifter posted:

Get the skill that heals you automatically over time each second. Also, Food is free - you should be stealing from everyone.

I'm hesitant to take that skill because it's such a tiny amount of healing. At 10 vitality per second, it'll take me like six entire minutes of just standing there to heal to full. I'm getting desperate enough that I'll probably get it, though.

It doesn't help that I haven't found a better silver sword than the starting one. I have a diagram for a better one, but I haven't found anyone who can craft it for me.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Ciaphas posted:

That sounds pretty good to me. Any knowledge needed from the previous games besides what's in the OP?

You can pretty much just go. But if you want, Kotaku of all places has a pretty decent lore info dump.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Harrow posted:

It doesn't help that I haven't found a better silver sword than the starting one. I have a diagram for a better one, but I haven't found anyone who can craft it for me.

Quartermaster at the Nilfgaardian Garrison in White Orchard.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Harrow posted:

I'm hesitant to take that skill because it's such a tiny amount of healing. At 10 vitality per second, it'll take me like six entire minutes of just standing there to heal to full. I'm getting desperate enough that I'll probably get it, though.

That silver sword does 80-95 damage, doesn't it? The starting regular sword did 24-29. I am not even on level 2, so I can't really speak, but the silver sword seems pretty powerful.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

yeah it sucks how witcher 3 has all those traps and pre-fight setup because you can't drink potions in combat

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Abu Dave posted:

I have that skill but never see it working. :shrug:

Did you remember to "equip" the skill?

Also as a related question, do you need to equip the Axii skills for the conversational bonuses?

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Keket posted:

So anyone got any gwent tips?

I haven't got too far but

- Purchase every single card you find in merchant stock
- Always put a weather, decoy, commanders horn in your deck, if you use the starter (Northern) deck, "switch" your leader to the second one, that lets you wipe away all weather effects.
- Play all random NPC merchants (blacksmith, herbalist, innkeeper, peddler, guy who sells everything) you can find, their decks are generally around the same power as yours. If in the first round, the guy is dropping 7s and 8s on you, he is most likely too advanced for you.
- If you go first, use the lowest scoring card first. Don't leapfrog your opponent, just match him, maybe stay +1, you want him to use as many cards as possible. DON'T PASS UNLESS YOU ARE UP BY OVER TEN AND HE HAS 1 or 2 cards left. Northern decks get a free card after every winning round. As far as I know, opponents can only get additional cards through the medic or the spy.
- Get randomly powerful (sometimes HERO) cards for beating them, but be aware those cards might be for different decks.
- Build your deck. Gwent is about attrition. It is three rounds, ten cards per player, if you make your opponent run through most of his cards in the first round, you will probably win. If they throw a weather, wait until near the end of the round to use the king's special ability and wipe away all weather cards.
- Decoy is better than it sounds, two cool things it does is that, you can use it to bring your most powerful card back into your deck, "tricking" the other dude to think you have lost a bunch of points, he *might* pass; then all you need to do is overcome his point total then pass for the win. The other thing it does is allow you to pull back a powerful card if you think you are going to lose anyway.
- If you want to use spies and gently caress up their poo poo, throw down spy cards, but barely ahead, then when he has 3 or 4 cards left weather the whole row. This only worked for me once because i only have two spy cards and happened to draw both.
- The card with the "medic" symbol automatically pulls a card from your discard pile automatically when played. The card with the "handshake" symbol doubles the power of its twins.
- Beating the same guy twice only yields random items afterwards.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I got a giggle from this being an Arrested Development fan: http://www.gog.com/forum/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt/looking_for_a_never_nude_mod

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
It's nice to see Odrin is still around being a drunk menace.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

Ash1138 posted:

I really want to like playing with a controller, but the camera keeps rotating until it's almost looking down at Geralt while riding a horse.

this is so loving annoying

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Crash to desktop every time I try to fast travel to Velen/Novigrad. RIP

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

so what do I need to run this game at max everything so I can see the pores and beads of sweat on Geralt's face?

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Been doing this on the xbox one and absolutely loving this game
A few hours in and restarting. Not crazy about some of my quest choices sooooooo. Starting over. I love just roaming about and finding treasure :3

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Oh come on you stupid fucks. I offered you a drink, that doesn't entitle you to know my business. Nosy assholes

I'm getting my rear end beat by these guys in the pub. Are you supposed to be able to bash a large group of people like the batman games? I'm hesitant to call the combat clunky because I'm hoping I just don't get it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Nuts and Gum posted:

I'm getting my rear end beat by these guys in the pub. Are you supposed to be able to bash a large group of people like the batman games? I'm hesitant to call the combat clunky because I'm hoping I just don't get it.
Use your signs and put points into them. I've been using Quen for defense and now I've just realized the glory that is Axii. I just took out a whole bunch of bandits that the game said were too tough for me by just using Axii that I just put one point into and then destroying them.

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

"That man...I'm...fascinated by him. That look...his whole look. It's hypnotic."
So quick question about sign intensity for Quen, what exactly does it do? If it allows for more damage to be taken before exploding or increases health regenerated that's pretty cool, but if it just increases duration than it doesn't seem worth it.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu

Nuts and Gum posted:

It doesn't really seem like it. Nekkers gently caress you over so much if you manage to get into the middle of them. I've just been using blinding bombs and the gas bombs like crazy and that works well for the grouped up enemies. Just got myself some grapeshot, but I haven't had the chance to decimate anyone with it yet.

Mounted combat makes the larger groups of bandits out in the wildness EZMODE. Plus you get all those gibs.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Is Saskia ever mentioned? I haven't seen any mention of her yet.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Anyone else using fast travel as little as possible for the immersion factor?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I've been kinda addicted to Gwent and been going around getting all the rare cards thank to the guide. I managed to win a super awesome one. Ciri's card! loving 15 points and immune to effects

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
you think the combat is clunky because it is clunky, lol

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Verranicus posted:

Anyone else using fast travel as little as possible for the immersion factor?

I been using fast travel as little as possible because it seems like it takes waaaay more in-game time than manually traveling, at least in White Orchard.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Just had to laugh because I was going through the information, specifically under tutorials and the entry about combat was in Polish.

Also, I learned this a bit late, but if you're on the Broken Bones difficulty meaning you don't heal when you meditate, just chug down Swallow Potions. They heal me for about half my health and then I just Meditate to fill them back up.

Tamayachi fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 21, 2015

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

The scaling quest rewards are kind of a huge bummer. I did Hattori's quest line and the "sword that could kill gods" is worse than the sword I had him craft 30 seconds beforehand.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Tamayachi posted:

Just had to laugh because I was going through the information, specifically under tutorials and the entry about combat was in Polish.

Also, I learned this a bit late, but if you're on the Broken Bones difficulty meaning you don't heal when you meditate, just chug down Swallow Potions. They heal me for about half my health and then I just Meditate to fill them back up.

Or if you have the alchemy talent that instantly restores health upon potion use, drink literally any of them :getin:

Phoix posted:

The scaling quest rewards are kind of a huge bummer. I did Hattori's quest line and the "sword that could kill gods" is worse than the sword I had him craft 30 seconds beforehand.

I loving knew that would happen :smith:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Phoix posted:

Ughhh this kinda stuff always happens in open world games and it's always a huge bummer.

crackton
May 9, 2009
So I just killed Kiera Metz and Im just wondering if I'm gonna regret doing it?

I remember she had some potion that let you reassign your stat points and I didn't buy it cause I'm still very early on in the game. Basically that's mostly my concern, other than that she was being a real oval office.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
The things we sacrifice for story and narrative. Every dialog option with the emperor should have had "Cast Igni" at the bottom.

Werebubbs...

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Salsa McManus posted:

It doesn't really seem like it. Nekkers gently caress you over so much if you manage to get into the middle of them. I've just been using blinding bombs and the gas bombs like crazy and that works well for the grouped up enemies. Just got myself some grapeshot, but I haven't had the chance to decimate anyone with it yet.
Tell me where to find Nekkers, I want to craft some mutagens from their corpses.

And I missed buying a few Gwent cards from the scholar guy in the first tavern and now he's gone: anywhere to find them again?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

crackton posted:

So I just killed Kiera Metz and Im just wondering if I'm gonna regret doing it?

I remember she had some potion that let you reassign your stat points and I didn't buy it cause I'm still very early on in the game. Basically that's mostly my concern, other than that she was being a real oval office.

I haven't found another place to buy them yet. I hope that wasn't the only source.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled

Phoix posted:

Hopefully some mod fixes scaling. Hated it in the later Elder sScrolls. Kind of a deal breaker...

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Phoix posted:

I haven't found another place to buy them yet. I hope that wasn't the only source.

I'm pretty sure one of the merchants in upper Novigrad sells one.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I found a weird thing under a tree as part of the Crones quest. I can't decide if I want to help it or kill it, all my instincts are saying the crones are bad and should be stopped but also this thing is gross and I don't trust it

I like that choices in the Witcher series usually boil down to "It's not great but this isn't great either but I guess that's life".

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Thievery posted:

I found a weird thing under a tree as part of the Crones quest. I can't decide if I want to help it or kill it, all my instincts are saying the crones are bad and should be stopped but also this thing is gross and I don't trust it

I like that choices in the Witcher series usually boil down to "It's not great but this isn't great either but I guess that's life".

poo poo is hosed either way and innocents get hurt regardless; your choice will also influence the Bloody Baron questline resolution. If you side with the tree the witches turn BB's wife into a water hag and dude hangs himself. If you side with the witches she just goes nuts and there is the barest hint of resolution between father and daughter as BB sets off on a doomed quest to cure his wife's fried brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I have a lot of flowers and mushrooms and other junk. The gently caress am I supposed to do with it all? Skyrim was bad at this poo poo but at least I didn't get hella confused when I crafted something and now I can't make more of it, instead it consumes another item? Do I store X forever incase something MIGHT USE IT?

also do I get a place to store poo poo not on my loving horse ever?