Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Wild Knight posted:

I thought someone released a mod to make them work?

All the lens flares, overdone depth of field (seriously, it's like Aiden's mostly blind it's so bad) and ridiculous bloom make it extremely hard to actually follow the gameplay, even when the mod heavily toned them down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Mokinokaro posted:

All the lens flares, overdone depth of field (seriously, it's like Aiden's mostly blind it's so bad) and ridiculous bloom make it extremely hard to actually follow the gameplay, even when the mod heavily toned them down.

This, precisely. A lot of the things that work in a predetermined video of game footage (like for a convention) actually make a game impossible to play when the player has to constantly interpret what's on screen. I personally always leave depth of field off. My brain does that on its own, thanks anyways, game.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
^^^ Depth of field gives me headaches a lot. The first thing I do in almost every game I play is find out how to disable that. I do not understand the weird SweetFX/GemFX and whatever that people run.

baldurk posted:

Here's the next part in my graphics series, this time talking about how to squeeze the most out of limited resources by avoiding whatever wasted time, and why certain things like reflections or shadows can be impractical.

Graphics in Plain Language

Part 3 - What not to draw

I love these. I've never done any real graphics programming, but this makes me interested in learning. Its neat to see the comparisons between games like Deus Ex HR (in the article you like to) and Watch_Dogs, to see how they change the way they render to suit their needs.

Thanks for putting this out there. (And the renderdoc software as well of course! I am checking out the tutorial videos.)

MrAptronym fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 20, 2015

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014

Chip Cheezum posted:

Yesterday's stream is up. I'm slowly playing through all the mainline Metal Gears... again... also there's Castlevania.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GdtHFktm5o
Revisiting MGS Stream #2 + SotN

I think Symphony of the Night is the only Metroidvania game I haven't played. They stopped selling it in my area right around the time I got a PS1.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Discendo Vox posted:

I personally always leave depth of field off. My brain does that on its own, thanks anyways, game.

I feel like most games I've been playing recently don't use DoF much anymore. Which is sensible, considering that it really doesn't make sense to be rendered like that unless the protagonist is very small and/or myopic.

It seems to have some nice things, like properly-rendered reflections on wet pavement, but I could see how overbloom and DoF can hinder gameplay a lot. Especially at this degree.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Bluhman posted:

I feel like most games I've been playing recently don't use DoF much anymore. Which is sensible, considering that it really doesn't make sense to be rendered like that unless the protagonist is very small and/or myopic.

Yeah, DoF is kinda cool but I really don't know how it fits in with a developer's "vision" of their game. If the game is meant to be cinematic it makes no sense because most movies aren't shot with extremely-close focus where everything in the background is really blurry all the time. If it's meant to duplicate how we see things, we don't see stuff we're not focusing on as that blurry unless we have some bad glaucoma or something.

Depth of field has basically become the new lens flare.

VV I definitely noticed it in that screenshot though because it makes it look like you're walking around in a model train set. It's so blurry it's like tilt-shift photography.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 21, 2015

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, DoF is kinda cool but I really don't know how it fits in with a developer's "vision" of their game. If the game is meant to be cinematic it makes no sense because most movies aren't shot with extremely-close focus where everything in the background is really blurry all the time. If it's meant to duplicate how we see things, we don't see stuff we're not focusing on as that blurry unless we have some bad glaucoma or something.

Depth of field has basically become the new lens flare.

A lot of games use it pretty subtly in conversations, when you zoom in, and in cutscenes which is usually alright. The issue with it in normal gameplay is that they are pretty bad at figuring where the player will be looking. Its the kind of thing that, if you have noticed it, its failed. If they get it right, you don't consciously notice, but if they mess it up its a huge pain.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
In a few days we'll have another mini-update where Ironicus' short series on the history of Chicago will begin. I'm putting more effort into the video side of it than I originally planned, so that's why it's not being posted with today's update.

Episode 5: Extreme Drinking.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash.....Download

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Roaper posted:

What's the album name?
Ensured Fraud on Knife-Crime Island

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Aiden loves clubbing! That's why he carries one around with him all the time.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Don't feel bad for that criminal at the beginning. He just wanted to become one with nature.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Wow, that last cutscene. This game was climbing the bad storytelling tree and hit every branch on the way down.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Aiden "I'm totally a good guy"

Proceeds to sit by and watch the biggest Chicago gang boss MURDER THE poo poo out of a guy for no real reason.

"Yep I'm totally a good guy for doing nothing and abetting robbery and murder".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That last cutscene is just completely and utterly incoherent.

Like the dialogue feels spliced together from three different conversations and nobody's personality makes any sense.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I really liked Lucky Quinn. He's super loving intimidating and legitimately well written and a good villain. He was a serious bastard and the cold delivery of his lines and his appearance as a shriveled old man was drat good. He had the air of an old mob boss who considers himself invincible and makes drat sure you knew it. I also like BADBOY17. Looking back on it, I liked almost all the characters except Aiden and his family.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh my God that last cutscene. Aiden you colossal loving weirdo. "Hey there, random person! Are you the underground criminal I'm meeting here to conduct shady business with? His screen name is Badboy 17! Wait, you mean she's Badboy 17? I'm supposed to trust a female underground criminal who has been assisting my own criminal activities free of charge for no readily apparent reason?"

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 21, 2015

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
What the heck, game designers, there are no mountains in Southern Illinois! Illinois actually gets flatter as you head south! I live in what used to be a literal swamp, for Christ sakes!

Now I know how Ironicus feels when this game tries to depict Chicago. :argh:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Spiritus Nox posted:

Oh my God that last cutscene. Aiden you colossal loving weirdo. "Hey there, random person! Are you the underground criminal I'm meeting here to conduct shady business with? His screen name is Badboy 17! Wait, you mean she's Badboy 17? I'm supposed to trust a female underground criminal who has been assisting my own criminal activities free of charge for no readily apparent reason?"

And then proceeds to choke her, even through a few minutes ago he let a mob boss who literally murdered a man walk free.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Rirse posted:

And then proceeds to choke her, even through a few minutes ago he let a mob boss who literally murdered a man walk free.

Oh Jesus, and just rewatched and caught the line " and he [Badboy17] is a she? He is a lie!" Gross. Somehow I don't think Aiden gets on well with Trans-folk.

Also, why did she need to lose her incredibly useful internet anonymity to put an app onto Aiden's cell phone?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
This game is so predictable I was calling him being a woman from the moment I heard the "we need to meet" line.

Out of curiosity, does anyone else think this game would be make more sense if Aiden was younger? Say college age? Would it not explain a lot about him, especially his "clever" internet meme signs, fashion sense, and flexible idea of "justice".

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 21, 2015

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Of all the random places in Illinois to use, Pawnee? A tiny village south of loving Springfield? If you wanted a to use a quieter town outside of the city, why not pick Kankakee or Crystal Lake?

e: If it isn't clear already, I don't watch a lot of television.

TheLoser fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 21, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

TheLoser posted:

Of all the random places in Illinois to use, Pawnee? A tiny village south of loving Springfield? If you wanted a to use a quieter town outside of the city, why not pick Kankakee or Crystal Lake?

It does have an excellent parks and recreation department.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

TheLoser posted:

They probably wanted people to go "Oh, like Parks and Rec right!?"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Quinn's a strong cockney accent short of beig a Guy Ritchie antagonist.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

bobjr posted:

They probably wanted people to go "Oh, like Parks and Rec right!?"

You say that as a joke but I'm almost certain some higher-up said exactly that during development.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
The Extreme Drinking Contest is for drinking soy sauce. That's why it's extreme. It's also why the screen is blurring; all that salt is giving Aiden a stroke.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I can't think of anything more annoying in this game than that loving phone vibrating noise every goddamn time someone calls. Jesus Christ.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

ApeHawk posted:

I can't think of anything more annoying in this game than that loving phone vibrating noise every goddamn time someone calls. Jesus Christ.

Worst part is that it sounds like it's just a phone, on vibrate, on the living room table.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Calax posted:

Worst part is that it sounds like it's just a phone, on vibrate, on the living room table.
I will gladly admit to looking over to my own personal phone to see if it was making the vibrate noise during the videos multiple times.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Question: now that we're down in the Springfield area is there a minigame similar to the drinking one where Aiden has to eat a giant Horseshoe sandwich?

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
So basically, Aiden keeps a table in his pocket which is why his phone is always so audible in-game.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The car stealth is a pretty cool thing you can do against invaders since like Chip said unless they start actively looking in the window of every car in the area (which isn't always the best use of your time) they aren't likely to find you. Unless you do the OTHER vehicle stealth thing that most people don't think of that's just using the cover system!

Find a van or other kinda big vehicle with lots of concealment and then just kind of hug the walls to victory. 90% of people will be looking around inside the cars or in the area around the car while only giving a quick look on the sides and the front and back of a car since it's just right out there in the open and a lot of people don't think "just because he's not there now doesn't mean he won't be there later". You don't make a sound when moving around corners and it's relatively quick so combining that with how low to the ground your character model is when crouched behind cover and you can give somebody a really hard time just by taking cover.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Rockopolis posted:

The Extreme Drinking Contest is for drinking soy sauce. That's why it's extreme. It's also why the screen is blurring; all that salt is giving Aiden a stroke.

The extreme drinking contest is actually the hardest of three drinking contest minigames. I played all 10 of each set during my "gently caress My Life" tour of Watch_Dogs and the other two are brain dead easy. The 'extreme' one actually does have some challenging stages, but not of the type shown off in this video: the tough levels involve using one or both of the analog sticks to move a circle into a bigger circle which may itself be drifting around the screen. The most difficult of these either invert the stick or involve controlling both at once; the latter is difficult because it's hard to associate the displayed position of the small circles with the corresponding analog stick when they are on the 'wrong' side of the screen.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I take it you're gonna be cosplaying dante during all this hubbub? A hacking stud, but of a different kind of hacking, oh ho

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Cowman posted:

I really liked Lucky Quinn. He's super loving intimidating and legitimately well written and a good villain. He was a serious bastard and the cold delivery of his lines and his appearance as a shriveled old man was drat good. He had the air of an old mob boss who considers himself invincible and makes drat sure you knew it. I also like BADBOY17. Looking back on it, I liked almost all the characters except Aiden and his family.

He reminds me almost exactly of Niska from Firefly.

Bearpigman
Feb 19, 2013

"It's not the beard on the outside that counts, it's the beard on the inside"

(also, I can't wait for the plot twist when Aiden finds out Gregsky's name isn't Greg but John)

Bearpigman fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 21, 2015

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

The subtitles in this game are really messing me up for some reason. Is it actually that difficult to have them come in like "Badboy17, I thought you were actually going to be a 17-year-old boy." [break] "Now how am I going to keep up with the hot, fresh memes?" instead of "Badboy17, I thought you were actually going to be a 17-year-old boy. Now how" [break] "am I going to etc."?

It's a pretty minor thing, but given that most of the dialogue so far seems to be grumbling and mumbling, it would be nice to have subtitles that are less annoying to parse.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Aiden actually does download a car. That's how the vehicles spawn.

Also, given how upset he is about Badboy17's identity, I bet Aiden's username is something like Aiden123. He's not even a real hacker. He just uses other peoples' scripts. Aiden, you're a sham. You're an anime coat wearing sham and you probably have to have people at the Verizon store teach you how to use that phone.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 21, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dabir posted:

Quinn's a strong cockney accent short of beig a Guy Ritchie antagonist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXRuoSHI6eQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

This loving game is so loving jarring tonally. One minute you're pounding shots with a hick who is rambling about the Shadow Government Puppet President Conspiracy. Then you're delivering a guy to his death and just keeping your head down because there's no way you can't just hit an old evil man with a car. Then you're being an incredible shitlord rear end in a top hat to a girl who is trying to help you. Jesus Christ.

• Locked thread