Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

kidcoelacanth posted:

I'd be all over that if it weren't for the fake words on the lower back
That clearly says squid though.

And the front has a very stylized "ika", Japanese for squid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Vookatos posted:

I doubt any Youtube personalities even made Splatoon videos, since Nintendo is taking their money away from their art. Commercials on Nintendo's channel have a lot of dislikes, especially the "Squid Kid" one. I'm assuming it's because hardcore gamers don't like when commercials aimed at children call them children, or something like that.

A lot of youtube personalities aren't going to be making a lot of Nintendo videos because of Nintendo's new youtube policy. It just makes no financial sense to bother. That being said, The Completionist did a video on it, and once the game comes out fully I'm sure he'll do a longer video on it. Projared did one as well.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo gives preferential deals to select youtube channels, ones you don't watch because you're not a 10yo girl.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

Vookatos posted:

I doubt any Youtube personalities even made Splatoon videos, since Nintendo is taking their money away from their art. Commercials on Nintendo's channel have a lot of dislikes, especially the "Squid Kid" one. I'm assuming it's because hardcore gamers don't like when commercials aimed at children call them children, or something like that.

Speaking as a YouTube personality whose editors are so inept that they couldn't even get a review copy when Nintendo was throwing them at literally anyone who asked, I don't have much to say.

Feels awful. Granted, judging from Kotaku's stream, matchmaking can be kind of a pain with so few copies out there. At least 20 minutes of their hour-long stream on Monday was spent just waiting in lobbies.

Oh well. It's not like I'm not going to binge through the entire single-player in one night, fueled by every different color of Red Bull I can find.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

KennyMan666 posted:

That clearly says squid though.

And the front has a very stylized "ika", Japanese for squid.

What it says isn't really the issue

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Rexroom posted:

I want a Splatoon t-shirt. Why can't I have a Splatoon t-shirt? Curse these regional barriers!

Have you tried being a squid? how about a kid now?

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Am I going mad, or is there only a single hairstyle for boy and girl Inklings? I can't find anything on character customization but I swear one of the Nintendo videos showed more hairstyles.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

zolthorg posted:

Am I going mad, or is there only a single hairstyle for boy and girl Inklings? I can't find anything on character customization but I swear one of the Nintendo videos showed more hairstyles.

Its not really hair so much as their squid tentacles, so I could see there only being one period.

There's a ton of hats and stuff so that may be the stand-in for "hair" options, or it could be that some hats change the look of your "hair" tentacles. :shrug:

I don't think I've seen any other styles.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah they said before it's only the one style because it's part of their head.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

the squid sisters have different hairstyles though. this is bs i want to look my best for battle

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
To unlock more hair options you need to buy the official Amiibo Wigs.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
If you really want a squid amiibo but don't/can't get the 3 pack, you can pre-order the Japanese version if you want.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
The white splatoon T-shirt just looks like it's crying out for some tie-dye or paint splatter decoration.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Callie and Marie probably take hours with someone else messing with their tentacles to get into that state.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Keiya posted:

Callie and Marie probably take hours with someone else messing with their tentacles to get into that state.

:whitewater:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zaphod42 posted:

Its not really hair so much as their squid tentacles, so I could see there only being one period.

There's a ton of hats and stuff so that may be the stand-in for "hair" options, or it could be that some hats change the look of your "hair" tentacles. :shrug:

I don't think I've seen any other styles.

I've seen it pointed out the the head tentacles (including the tiny ones on the back) combined with their human limbs represent the ten limbs that actual squids have. It's a nice attention to detail that I think would be hard to replicate with multiple "hair"styles.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Iwata Asks: Splatoon!

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/splatoon/0/0

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Oh hell yeah, though at this point we know pretty much all there is to know about the pre-production part, don't we?

"It started with tofu.

Then rabbits."

This is gonna be a wonderful read. :allears:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

quote:

Nogami I just wanted to say one last thing…

Iwata Yes?

Nogami We’ve been using the word squid a lot today, but they are actually called Inklings.

Sakaguchi It hasn’t really caught on. (laughs) Nogami No one was calling them anything but "squid." And we’re never calling them anything but "squid," either.

Iwata Well, I guess ink-an’t be helped. (laughs)

Nogami Ooh, I should have thought of that, I guess ink-an’t be helped. (laughs)

All (laughs)

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

quote:

Iwata Over ten years ago, we had a game called Super Mario Sunshine. A unique element of the game was using a pump to spray water. Did this game come to mind?

Nogami We get asked that a lot...

Iwata Is there any connection?

Nogami I forgot about it...

All (laughs)

Nogami We only remembered it later on. Like, "Oh yeah, there was a water gun in Super Mario Sunshine." As Nintendo employees, that’s pretty embarrassing. (laughs)

Iwata But the structure of the game is completely different, after all. And this wasn’t an idea that could have come from Super Mario Sunshine.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
UK dudes, Nintendo UK online store is doing a bunch of Splatoon hardware bundles: http://store.nintendo.co.uk/games/w...mpaign=splatoon

32GB console with Splatoon, strategy guide, gamepad decal and Inkling Girl or Boy Amiibo - £259.99
32GB console with Splatoon, strategy guide, gamepad decal - £249.99
8GB console with Splatoon, Smash and Inkling Girl or Boy Amiibo - £214.99

If you use the promocode INKHAT7 you get one of those inkling hats, too.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nogami I just wanted to say one last thing…

Iwata Yes?

Nogami We’ve been using the word squid a lot today, but they are actually called Inklings.

Sakaguchi It hasn’t really caught on. (laughs) Nogami No one was calling them anything but "squid." And we’re never calling them anything but "squid," either.

Iwata Well, I guess ink-an’t be helped. (laughs)

Nogami Ooh, I should have thought of that, I guess ink-an’t be helped. (laughs)

All (laughs)

You can't post that without Iwata's pun face.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

I like the Inklings better, but these guys are pretty great.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Close up of the amiibos if you care.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Nicest looking $35 dlc you'll ever see. (Honestly surprised how high quality these things are.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

That was a good read. You can tell how enthusiastic they are about the game and how much effort they put into it, and the development of the idea to where it is now is really interesting. Also, they're all huge dorks and that's fun too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

quote:

Nogami We only remembered it later on. Like, "Oh yeah, there was a water gun in Super Mario Sunshine." As Nintendo employees, that’s pretty embarrassing. (laughs)

Ultimate :shobon:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Guy unbloxes inkling boy amiibo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuLfsSPfVXs

from what I am getting at from the video is that the amiibo is really well made, and the quality and feel of the boy amiibo seems to be top notch. When the amiibos were first announced I thought they were goign to be or shall I say, feel "rushed". I know this is Nintendo diving into a new IP but I thought they would play it safe and simply not announce amiibos for this game (maybe cards instead) so I was pleasantly surprised when they announced not one but three separate amiibos for this game. It makes me even happier to find out they are of great quality as well. Happy for the inkling boy amiibo, hopefully just as happy for the inkling girl and inkling squid coming out as well. I have them preordered no doubt about that and I am just super excited now (Very happy to see no plastic pillars on those amiibos as well).

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWhZYYonzGM

please click this link

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

love is gushing out of this game in every medium it can represent

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is the target splatoon squirt gun an actual pre order bonus or one of those things that will happen to be available in limited quantities on the day of release, in store.

edit: jesus christ why the gently caress is target's preorder system so hosed up. can't select in store pickup for preorders online, and you can't preorder in store unless it has a card available for it on the rack.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 21, 2015

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Is the target splatoon squirt gun an actual pre order bonus or one of those things that will happen to be available in limited quantities on the day of release, in store.

edit: jesus christ why the gently caress is target's preorder system so hosed up. can't select in store pickup for preorders online, and you can't preorder in store unless it has a card available for it on the rack.

Can you back-order a pre-order card through the website?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

This sounds like the song was made using Mario Paint :allears: I love it.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The soundtrack immediately makes me think of Uniracers, with a bit of Mario Paint/Warioware mixed in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV3wfyhxprE

Probably getting a WiiU just for this game.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I want this as my ring tone.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Just because I am a nerd I'll point out the original pun:
"It can't be helped" -> "Shikata ga nai"
"Squid" -> "Ika"
"Ink-an’t be helped" -> "Ikata ga nai"

Props to whoever translated it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Splatoon is gonna own

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Kyte posted:

"Squid" -> "Ika"

Iwata-san or like Ownata-san

I got nothing

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Kyte posted:

"Squid" -> "Ika"

Eh? I checked the JPN iwata asks and it seems like Iwata just said "いいじゃないか” (ii janai ka? = that's good, right?) which already had ika built right into it.

I mean either way it's a great pun preservation translation, but I don't remember him saying しかたがない。

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Sorry I assumed it'd go with the obvious pun. I'm sorry I assumed. :negative:

• Locked thread