Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Kind of a basic step, but I fixed my crashing by verifying the integrity of the game cache through steam. Granted, my game was crashing at very specific points so I assume some file was corrupted and the game crashed every time it tried using it.

Running the game on a GTX680 and I haven't had any other issues so far, although I can't get anywhere near the precious 60 FPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
The quests in this game are just downright fantastic. It's amazing playing an open world game where the average level of storytelling content is this good. Meanwhile, all the repetitive nonsense that typically plagues these games is such a minor part - the question marks rarely take more than a minute or so and are a fun distraction on the way to objectives. There's a couple quirks in the game, but it's easy to overlook them when the content feels so fresh.

Quick question - do random drops ever get better than the crafted Witcher gear? Drops seem kinda pointless given the quality and upgradability of this stuff.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm about 40 hours in so far

:stare: how

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So far my complaints about the game are few and far between. Let's see:

1. The odd layout of quests and POIs. I may just be spoiled by MMOs and games that scale to your level, but I can't help but be a bit annoyed each time I get a new quest and go excitedly to my journal only to find out it's 20 levels higher than me.

2. The inventory system is pretty bad, especially with the sheer number of recipes there are so you're never sure what to keep and what to sell.

3. Loot drops are kind of strange. I'm getting diagrams for level 30 weapons when I'm level 6 and it just makes me wish I was getting more stuff I can craft and use right now.

4. Experience feels too spread out. I think it would be less of an annoyance if you could use/equip more skills than we can right now based on level. By the time I left White Orchard I was only level 4, but I had double the skill points and not even close to enough slots to put them in.

All really nitpicky stuff. I'm having a blast with this game. I genuinely don't understand some of the hate I'm seeing for it on youtube and the Gamefaqs boards.

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.

NicelyNice posted:

The quests in this game are just downright fantastic. It's amazing playing an open world game where the average level of storytelling content is this good. Meanwhile, all the repetitive nonsense that typically plagues these games is such a minor part - the question marks rarely take more than a minute or so and are a fun distraction on the way to objectives. There's a couple quirks in the game, but it's easy to overlook them when the content feels so fresh.

Quick question - do random drops ever get better than the crafted Witcher gear? Drops seem kinda pointless given the quality and upgradability of this stuff.

I've found some nice relic swords from the treasure caches but drops off enemies generally seem to be fodder for selling. Along those lines it sucks that medium armor is so rare with that ability that increases sign intensity/stamina regen the more medium armor you wear. That ability is really great but I'm still stuck with level 1 armor in slots.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Someone played monster hunter for 400 hours over the course of 4 weeks when it released.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Spoilers for a side quest:

I just finished A Tower full of Mice. Inside the tower there is a locked door. Has anyone found the key? I scoured the entire loving island and didn't find it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I haven't touched the game since trying it and having it crash on me all the time. Thanks CDPR

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Ice Fist posted:

I just finished A Tower full of Mice. Inside the tower there is a locked door. Has anyone found the key? I scoured the entire loving island and didn't find it.

Is there any chance that door is just the front door to the tower instead of the rear one you enter from? If so I really wouldn't worry about it

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Verranicus posted:

To craft the swords you need to go to the Nilfgaar outpost, the smith there can make them.

Ah okay, I thought I remembered a smith there but there isn't an icon on the map and I was too lazy to go back and check. It's amazing how easy they made it to get around despite the huge world, I feel too guilty to fast-travel with auto-horse service and a gorgeous countryside.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

NomChompsky posted:

So has anyone picked up any armor that doesn't look like a loving clown costume and isn't level 5 dogshit? I'm still wearing the warrior's leather jacket, and I'm almost level 12 now. I know there's supposed to be earlier witcher armor but gently caress if I can find it, or find anyone on the internet who has seemed to have found anything.

Don't know what this nerd's talking about, all the armor designs in this game own.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Hey is anyone having problems casting Quen? I'm playing the GOG version and I've been recently having a hell of a time trying to cast it. Geralt just does the motion but the spell doesn't cast and I have to do it several times before it registers. I put all the points into the first tier of it and I made sure that I don't already have it on. It's gotten really annoying in combat. I'm also using a 360 controller.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 21, 2015

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Zeratanis posted:

Bloody Baron is literally Robert Barathian and I love it. Though at the same time he's a prick.

Also: AAAAAAAAH! DEMON FETUS! :gonk:

Yeah, only in the Witcher is the alcoholic wife-beating thug one of the most sympathetic characters.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Ice Fist posted:

Spoilers for a side quest:

There's another quest set there later. Try progressing and coming back then.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...

Quorum posted:

Yeah, only in the Witcher

Don't forget from TW1/2 that one of the least-worst nobles was a bona-fide sister-fucker. His gwent card even refers to it, so it's common knowledge, yet all the peasants are genuinely torn up over his death. I swear they go out of their way to make the most despicable people be the nicest to Geralt, just so the gut-punch of what they've actually been lying to him about feels like that much worse of a betrayal.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Salsa McManus posted:

It doesn't really seem like it. Nekkers gently caress you over so much if you manage to get into the middle of them. I've just been using blinding bombs and the gas bombs like crazy and that works well for the grouped up enemies. Just got myself some grapeshot, but I haven't had the chance to decimate anyone with it yet.

Mounted combat makes the larger groups of bandits out in the wildness EZMODE. Plus you get all those gibs.

In White Orchard or in the Inn at the Crossroads?

The answer is Igni for the first and Grapeshot for the latter.
Fights lasted 3 seconds in both cases (on Blood and Bones difficulty).

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I'm completely baffled on how Gwent is supposed to work. I played against the tutorial guy and we played all of our cards and I won because my total was higher, then the second round started and for some reason I was given an extra card so I placed that and I won because the other guy didn't have any cards.

I'm also having one heck a time keeping the enemy lock-on. The camera likes to wildly swing around even when I'm not touching the camera stick, and when the enemy goes off screen the lock-on turns off. Isn't that what the lock-on is for? What am I doing wrong?

Yaos fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 21, 2015

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Meiteron posted:

OH MAN I accepted a quest from an old lady to clear out a mansion filled with monsters and when I get there I discover the monsters are dead and the area is filled with traps and it's because motherfuckin Letho is hiding out here

And then we fought off a billion headhunters together and now we're going off to find the rest of these assassins

Witcher buddy cop hijinks this is loving awesome. When he first appears there's a great remix of the Witcher 2 theme that I got chills hearing. Which is not on the official soundtrack and I'm a bit salty about that.

Edit: Finished. That was fantastic. I saved him and got him to go to Kaer Morhen so hopefully he'll show up later, too. What would have happened if I didn't rush in at the end? Would they have killed him?

If you say you don't want any trouble, Geralt will still talk them out of taking Letho's head as a trophy and take his medallion instead. The benefit of that route is that there's actually witnesses to his 'death', so Nilfgaard will actually stop looking for him, or so he hopes.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm really unclear as to how Geralt got from the end of TW2 to the start of 3.

If I remember right, you find out at the end of 2 (from either the sorceress or Letho) that Yennefer is being held captive in Nifgaard. I'm pretty sure Roche and Iorveth go their own ways after the events at Loc Muinne are wrapped up, but in my playthrough at least Triss was still with Geralt at the very end.

Fast forward to 3 and Yennefer has sent Geralt a letter, which he's spent the better part of a year following up on. The opening cinematic also shows Yennefer running from a battle on the front lines. How and when did Yennefer send the letter? How and when did Geralt get the letter? Was Yennefer a captive or did she escape or am I just misremembering?

Furthermore, where has Triss gone off to? The journal page for characters doesn't even have an entry for her.

Finally, what's the background of Vesemir teaming up with Geralt? A branch of dialogue at the beginning says they've been on Yennefer's trail together for six months, and that they apparently fought some kind of tough battle along the way. How did these two meet up? What exactly have they been doing before the start of 3?

It feels like there was some kind of spin-off game connecting the events of 2 and 3 that I didn't play. I have no idea how we got from point A to point B here.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Psiharis posted:

Don't forget from TW1/2 that one of the least-worst nobles was a bona-fide sister-fucker. His gwent card even refers to it, so it's common knowledge, yet all the peasants are genuinely torn up over his death. I swear they go out of their way to make the most despicable people be the nicest to Geralt, just so the gut-punch of what they've actually been lying to him about feels like that much worse of a betrayal.

You'll note that of the two Popular, Powerful kings, they were both really dickish and had questionable issue. And then there's Emhyr var Emreis who wants to copulate with his daughter because the Hapsburg chin was always destined to rule over all of everything in some universe.

Also I appear to have run into a bug that is moderately game breaking.
Roche simply won't leave his hideout so the quest I'm on will not proceed. This is really bad because it's a main quest and I need it to proceed.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I imagine Triss has been busy managing the tattered remnants of the Lodge. It seems like Yennefer has never been quite as much of a captive as Geralt was led to believe and is more of a willing collaborator who may have been running missions along the front (eta: plus don't forget she's the one the Hunt was originally after when Geralt got mixed up with them to begin with, giving her something to flee and a reason for seeking powerful protection from the empire), and given Geralt's reception at the court, that letter was probably sent to Geralt with Nilfgaard's blessing. Vesemir doesn't have much to keep him busy in Kaer Morhen these days, and Geralt might have contacted him to find out more about the Viper school...

You're right that it's not spelled out very clearly from the beginning. There are enough plausible possibilities that I'm pretty sure we'll get at least some of the answers later on - maybe people who are further along can confirn/deny.

Psiharis fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 21, 2015

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Autonomous Monster posted:

Also: I am finding combat muuuuuuuuuuch easier now I've got to grips with dodging. Sidestepping out of the way of a drowner's lunge before pivoting and bisecting the motherfucker is super fun.

I've also found that if you dodge roll towards melee enemies instead of away from them their attack will still miss you but at the end of it you'll be behind them in perfect position to strike rather than needing to close the distance. It's a great move if you're surrounded by drowners.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I got 40 hours in by not sleeping and playing constantly. I'm still in act 1. I still have tons and tons of side quest I haven't even started. There is tons more side quests I haven't even bothered to pickup. I did finally solve my money problems though am sitting on close to 7000 gold. I think this game totally redefines the rpg and open world genres both of them.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Any one far enough along to know if we can do the quests for/romance both K and Triss or if they're exclusive?

EDIT: I kind of wish this had never come out on consoles so I could stop seeing so many idiots comparing it (unfavorably) to Bloodborne.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 21, 2015

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Just did the cave quest in Velen with Keira, fought a Wild Hunt warrior and that golem. This game is really fun

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

cheesetriangles posted:

I got 40 hours in by not sleeping and playing constantly.

Bruh

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Is Geralt's hair supposed to look like there is bunch of wind even when he is indoors?

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I believe that is known by hair scientists as the John Redcorn effect.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Yennefer likes the beard. She's defo a keeper.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Yaos posted:

I'm completely baffled on how Gwent is supposed to work. I played against the tutorial guy and we played all of our cards and I won because my total was higher, then the second round started and for some reason I was given an extra card so I placed that and I won because the other guy didn't have any cards.

I'm also having one heck a time keeping the enemy lock-on. The camera likes to wildly swing around even when I'm not touching the camera stick, and when the enemy goes off screen the lock-on turns off. Isn't that what the lock-on is for? What am I doing wrong?
Gwent:
- You start the game by drawing 10 cards, these won't be replenished across rounds - game's all about attrition and card advantage
- This is best of 3 rounds
- You can mulligan up to 2 of your starting hand
- You choose a faction which has its own pool of cards alongside neutral cards (you start with Northern Realms)
- Factions get their own bonuses, e.g. for Northern Realms if you win you get to draw a card

- There are 3 playing areas on the board - Siege, Ranged and Close-Range - this is where you place your units
- As you place units onto the field each row gets a number adding up their power
- All rows on your side are added together and if you have more than your opponent after both of you have Passed then you win*

- There are Special cards that don't put a unit onto the field
- For example there are weather cards for each playing area that effect both sides. When they are in play units on those rows will have a base strength of 1
- I say base strength as cards can have Abilities that sidestep this - such as 2 (or more) cards of the same name next to each other will double each others strength
- Don't worry about placement, cards with that effect will autosort
- Don't rely on weather cards though, you need units on the field in order to win and if someone plays the Clear Sky weather card it'll remove all weather effects in-play

- There are also Leaders for your deck that bring a unique ability, for example one acts as a free Clear Sky while another doubles the strength of all your siege units for the rest of the round
- Consider this a free reliable card that should cover a weakness or enhance a strength
- If you're going to use a leader ability make sure you do it before you play a card

- There are unique cards called Heroes, extremely dangerous for their power and ability to ignore effects
- If your opponent is playing a hero you better hope they draw badly or that you can bait them into overcommitting the first round

- Start of the game a coin's flipped to decide who goes first (Unless one of you is Scoia’tael then they decide**)
- You play a card, the game auto-passes, your opponent plays a card, etc
- Aim to match or beat the amount of cards your opponent has, and rival them in strength while keeping enough strong units for later rounds
- Eventually one of you will decide that the round's decided either by a huge lead or saving cards for the next round
- When that happens that player will Pass, once a player has passed they have no input on the game until the round resolves :siren:

- When you beat a new gwent player for the first time you'll get a card, every subsequent time you win it'll be some random small loot (low level alchemy ingredients/crafting items/etc)
- You can only bet up to 10 crowns at a time as far as I've seen, although there is at least one tournament with a large prize pool

*Exception for Nilfgaard decks who win at a draw so watch out for them forcing you down to zero cards for game 3 and winning by default
**No idea how it resolves if you're both Scoia’tael - back to coin probably

Pretty sure that covers the jist of it, I'm not touching on deck building and actual strategy as I don't have enough info (and gently caress doing that anyway). Having said that the AI doesn't understand that heroes aren't affected by weather/commander's horn so enjoy them wasting cards

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I need to kill more monsters so I can buy more magic cards.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

quote:

- You start the game by drawing 10 cards, these won't be replenished across rounds - game's all about attrition and card advantage
Speaking of card advantage: spy cards allow you to draw more cards. You put the card in the enemy battlefield and raise the strength of one of his line (unless you have that Scoia’tael's strength 0 spy card) but draw two more cards. So there is no reason not to play spy cards when are going to lose a round or when you are winning a round with a large score advantage. You can also use decoy on enemy spies put in your side and use them yourself to gain more cards. Also the default faction draw one card every-time it wins a round.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 21, 2015

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

I was avoiding going into spy/medic/etc as gently caress explaining all that poo poo - people can learn that part by playing easy enough

e: Big fan of first game: 8 power siege. 2nd game: medic to revive the siege, decoy the medic, and then if the 3rd game happens siege can be played again

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I was avoiding going into spy/medic/etc as gently caress explaining all that poo poo - people can learn that part by playing easy enough
Aka learning it by seeing those Scoia’tael players drop 5 strength 0 medics in the last round and resurrecting 5 strength 10 heroes.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Toplowtech posted:

Aka learning it by seeing those Scoia’tael players drop 5 strength 0 medics in the last round and resurrecting 5 strength 10 heroes.
Well you start (or can buy in White Orchid) a 5 strength medic so fair's fair.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Well you start (or can buy in White Orchid) a 5 strength medic so fair's fair.
Have you played against a monster cards player yet?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is gold a finite resource by the way, or will there always be a decent source for it?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah my biggest complaint with Gwent is that it's totally a pay-to-win game, so sometimes you play against an innkeeper who sucks and you roll them, and other times the innkeeper will have some squirrel deck with 3 heroes in it and he'll win round 1 30-25, then drop like 80 damage/strength on you in round 2 cause gently caress you.

Having fun with it when I do find decent matches though. Looking forward to having my own OP decks some day.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

cheesetriangles posted:

Well looks like that unique gwent card in white orchard isn't sold anywhere else. I didn't want to finish that quest anyway.

Now I have to restart. I hope you're happy. At least I won't sell the starting armour this time.

Also, anyone had any luck finding 2 Emerald Dusts in the starting area? I think I only found one, and 500 gold hurts at that point. Related to that, are all the interesting things marked by '?' on the map, or is it worth it to explore empty areas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I've played probably the hardest opponents in gwent and have a ton of the unique and powerful cards. There are a few I don't have though because they are locked behind parts of the story I haven't done yet. Spy cards and ways to use them are the basis of high end play. Every top level opponent will have spy cards. Most spy cards are not unique which puts you into an arms race. You play one and they decoy it. They play one and you revive it with a medic. The final nilfgard leader card lets you play a card from the enemy discard pile which is very powerful. If the enemy gets ahead of you in spy card use you might as well forfeit. Having more cards total is a huge advantage and usually enough to win just by that fact. The best card in the game is I think a zero power unique spy that is neutral faction. Because it is a neutral card the enemy cannot use it against you once you play it. It is neutral so it should be in every deck you use. Every deck should have decoys medics and scorch as well.