Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Tab8715 posted:

People who don't use whiteboards as explain technical concepts that are several paragraphs deep. There's a reason we have or in every cube and every office.

Don' tell me, show me what you're trying to explain.

All our whiteboards were taken away. Also, visiting clients who only have a small drawing board or a burnt out plasma TV or wimpy projector. Just awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MrMoo posted:

All our whiteboards were taken away.

I was going to ask why, but then I thought about it for a second and remembered the whiteboards in my freshman dorm.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bigass Moth posted:

Bought the in-laws a new laptop, spend hours configuring and transferring files, find out today they're still using the old computer because they're scared of change.

It amazes me that they have regularly used computers for work and home since the 80s but Google is too scary to use.

The only thing that worked with my parents (well technically my mom, my dad is cool with new tech), was when the primary computer (i.e. the only one my mom uses) broke and I refused to troubleshoot it over the phone and I bought them a shiny new Mac. My mom bitched and moaned for about a week, then suddenly it was her best friend EVAR! I figure the $1,000+ has already paid itself with the *zero* support calls from them since she started using it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

I was going to ask why, but then I thought about it for a second and remembered the whiteboards in my freshman dorm.

In our new HQ I have a 160 sqft of wall directly behind me painted in that white board paint. It is loving fantastic.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

flosofl posted:

In our new HQ I have a 160 sqft of wall directly behind me painted in that white board paint. It is loving fantastic.

I've got the same thing in most of our offices yet no one uses them?

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Gyshall posted:

This is one of the things that baffles me - you'll have a user that has issues and immediately goes "I'm not good with computers!!!!" even though it is a critical tool they use all day every day.

God, I had this exact issue today with a user who was trying to migrate his Good Mobile account from one .mil domain to the AFNET domain. Spoke to him on the phone and email, telling him both times, that he had to have his old account deprovisioned before he could activate his new account. He tries to activate his new account, which I had helpfully gone ahead and created, and then called to complain that he was getting an error about the device already being used by another user. Queue 10 minutes of me explaining that, like I had told him in our previous phone call and the email I sent, he needed to have his old account deprovisioned first.

"Well why can't you do it?"
"Because it's on a domain we don't have any access or control over. But just to be a nice guy I'll try and get hold of someone at the other domain and get them to delete it."

It all worked out in the end, but drat - people can't even read simple loving instructions or follow verbal instructions without screwing them up if technology is involved.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

We took out all our whiteboards and replaced them with whiteboard wall paint. Except because of corporate branding, most of the walls are painted dark colors (the lightest is a dark yellow). So only like one marker out of every pack is visible unless we use the weird neon ones that don't cover as well. PLUS, on top of that, they either didn't sand the walls before applying the coating, or used too thick a roller, so the surface is all rough and doesn't erase very well. All in all, a huge fuckup.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Daylen Drazzi posted:

God, I had this exact issue today with a user who was trying to migrate his Good Mobile
Found your problem!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

flosofl posted:

That sounds awesome. Is it magnetic as well?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

good jovi posted:

We took out all our whiteboards and replaced them with whiteboard wall paint. Except because of corporate branding, most of the walls are painted dark colors (the lightest is a dark yellow). So only like one marker out of every pack is visible unless we use the weird neon ones that don't cover as well. PLUS, on top of that, they either didn't sand the walls before applying the coating, or used too thick a roller, so the surface is all rough and doesn't erase very well. All in all, a huge fuckup.

The rough surface is by design on ours (and it's not super rough). I asked the HQ project coordinator about that and she mumbled something about "reasons". Didn't make any sense to me at the time, but it's really not so terrible and I can use it without it irritating me and it's been erasing pretty well with the spray.

Kazinsal posted:

That sounds awesome. Is it magnetic as well?

Sadly no. We asked for them to mount something really thin and metallic flush with the wall and paint over it. The afore mentioned project coordinator said "hey, that's a good idea, but too late to change plans."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We just write on the glass partitions with chalk pens.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

We just write on the glass partitions with chalk pens.

Your way is cooler.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Daylen Drazzi posted:

God, I had this exact issue today with a user who was trying to migrate his Good Mobile account from one .mil domain to the AFNET domain. Spoke to him on the phone and email, telling him both times, that he had to have his old account deprovisioned before he could activate his new account. He tries to activate his new account, which I had helpfully gone ahead and created, and then called to complain that he was getting an error about the device already being used by another user. Queue 10 minutes of me explaining that, like I had told him in our previous phone call and the email I sent, he needed to have his old account deprovisioned first.

"Well why can't you do it?"
"Because it's on a domain we don't have any access or control over. But just to be a nice guy I'll try and get hold of someone at the other domain and get them to delete it."

It all worked out in the end, but drat - people can't even read simple loving instructions or follow verbal instructions without screwing them up if technology is involved.

He got you to do it for him. Sounds like his plan is working perfectly.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

guppy posted:

He got you to do it for him. Sounds like his plan is working perfectly.

Actually he didn't. I emailed the other domain Good Mobile admin and he replied back there was no account with the user's name on his server. Our Good Mobile admin, his backup, and myself were all scratching our heads trying to figure out where the account went, since we saw it 30 minutes earlier on their server. Somehow or another the account was deleted and the user was able to activate his device. :iiam:

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

IT related but not necessarily work.

How is it that software is getting worse? Isn't it supposed to get better? WIndows 7 was the best OS ever, why make it worse with 8 and 10? I might be alone but Server 2008 R2 was amazing, why change to that lovely 2012 UI? Why was Firefox the perfect browser in 2006 but when I choose a browser in 2015 I'm just picking the one that annoys me the least?

If you use Windows 8 for any amount of time Windows 7 will seem lacking. There are a lot of advantages to new software that don't become apparent until you use it for a while and then go back.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

lampey posted:

If you use Windows 8 for any amount of time Windows 7 will seem lacking. There are a lot of advantages to new software that don't become apparent until you use it for a while and then go back.

Ehh I'm between 7 and 8 depending on what system I'm using and on the balance still prefer 7.

The performance and battery life advantages just aren't significant (or even noticeable) and the UI on 8.1 is still rough and inconsistent.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

lampey posted:

What's so appealing about 8?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Tab8715 posted:

What's so appealing about 8?

8.1 is pretty friendly. Once you get past the metro bullshit, it's an iteratively better OS. It just feels more polished after you've used it for a bit.

Now, 2012 vs 2008 is much more cut and dried in terms of the improvements. The only knock on 2012 is why they felt they had to slap a UI developed for touchscreens on a goddamned server OS, but outside of that dodgy notion (and after disabling it) I can't think of anything that isn't better in 2012.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

OAquinas posted:

8.1 is pretty friendly. Once you get past the metro bullshit, it's an iteratively better OS. It just feels more polished after you've used it for a bit.

Now, 2012 vs 2008 is much more cut and dried in terms of the improvements. The only knock on 2012 is why they felt they had to slap a UI developed for touchscreens on a goddamned server OS, but outside of that dodgy notion (and after disabling it) I can't think of anything that isn't better in 2012.

I very rarely wander into the realm of server OSs, but I admit the first time I fired up 2012 I had no goddamn idea what I was doing. Still don't actually, but it was a hell of a shock from 2008 in the UI look and feel.

But yea, touch screen design for a server, good idea microsoft.

I've spent the last 3 days clearing out old equipment from racks at some offices we acquired a year or so ago. Its gone pretty well, aside from their hub site and their DR site, most sites only had a router and some switches. At their main site though, they had a variety of servers, some were old Dell 1650s up to what looks like a yearish old EMC SAN. I had thought all this equipment was going to be powered off by our server group, but I guess they never got around to it. So I've been just hitting the power button, or in the case of the EMC, just pulling the cables. Graceful shutdown? Not today comrade. It is surprising cathartic though.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 21, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

OAquinas posted:

That is a complete matter of opinion. While I do agree 8.1 has some UI improvements in some places overall it is far less polished than 7 was simply because it's so inconsistent.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

OAquinas posted:

a UI developed for touchscreens on a goddamned server OS

Pissing me off: People who still obsessively RDP into servers in TYOOL 2015. E: Instead of using powershell remoting or literally any other remote server management tools.
Not so much because they're voluntarily obsoleting themselves, but because they usually sledgehammer a bunch of other legacy garbage into prod along with it and you end up having to debug their SQL 2000 agent job that calls a .bat script that calls a vbs script that calls back into a stored procedure that calls back out to another loving .bat script. All of which could've been handled in a 3-step SSIS data flow which is itself 10 year old tech, but still too new and scary.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I would not want to administer a large ADDS server via powershell remoting. I will use powershell remoting for any maintenance task, but not if it involves ADDS.

Also doing GPOs in powershell is either a massive pain or not really possible, I have never tried it (and I never want to).

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
How the poo poo am I suppose to be on call and not go to Cons and workout out to be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0E4Rwx5gPg

I get /fit/ because I am bored studying and people told me I needed a hobby.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 21, 2015

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Someone didn't think we'd need an Enterprise license for the VMware cluster that handles School IT.

No DRS is sad in general, and loving annoying when I'm patching the hosts. :argh:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Feels like the entire world is pissing me off today. Yay for closing the office door and listening to tunes while programming.

Also pissing me off (or me pissing it off?) : my right knee. Still too early to push myself on the bike without at least two rest days. Ugh.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

keseph posted:

Pissing me off: People who still obsessively RDP into servers in TYOOL 2015. E: Instead of using powershell remoting or literally any other remote server management tools.
Not so much because they're voluntarily obsoleting themselves, but because they usually sledgehammer a bunch of other legacy garbage into prod along with it and you end up having to debug their SQL 2000 agent job that calls a .bat script that calls a vbs script that calls back into a stored procedure that calls back out to another loving .bat script. All of which could've been handled in a 3-step SSIS data flow which is itself 10 year old tech, but still too new and scary.
There's still a ton of PowerShell functionality that was never backported to Windows 7/Server 2008. I think you're upset about a specific person though, not RDP.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
You're supposed to use server manager on the client OS when it's not practical to use powershell. Nobody is making gpos with powershell.

I looking forward to the next versions of windows client and server OS so we can finally stop bitching about this topic.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Mogomra posted:

Holy smokes, I had to stay late because the sales guy decided an hour before quitting time that the "non-critical nice to have in the future" feature from Monday was all of a sudden hyper-critical for tomorrow's demo.

Isn't that normally where management says something like, "You should have said that earlier?"

Why do we have project managers or any managers at all if the sales people call the shots? :argh:

As a Project Manager believe me I ask myself the same question all too frequently.

Management says exactly that. Then the sales guy calls his drinking buddy the CEO.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Kazinsal posted:

Also doing GPOs in powershell is either a massive pain or not really possible, I have never tried it (and I never want to).

You don't want to (it's bad (you can't even set most preference items (it's much better at analytical reports of GPOs though)))

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Swink posted:

You're supposed to use server manager on the client OS when it's not practical to use powershell. Nobody is making gpos with powershell.

I looking forward to the next versions of windows client and server OS so we can finally stop bitching about this topic.

I think that only Win 8 clients can use server manager that works for 2012. If you're on win 7, there's no compatible server manager to connecting to 2012 servers. Or at least, I couldn't find one.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Kazinsal posted:

I would not want to administer a large ADDS server via powershell remoting. I will use powershell remoting for any maintenance task, but not if it involves ADDS.

I honestly use powershell for automation and not much else. If I am going to perform a small task I am either going to use a remote tool or *gasp* rdp into the machine to perform said small task. If I attempted to use powershell for every task I do throughout my day it would be horribly inefficient.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

dissss posted:

That is a complete matter of opinion. While I do agree 8.1 has some UI improvements in some places overall it is far less polished than 7 was simply because it's so inconsistent.

It's easy to be polished when the only significant changes you've made to the UI in the last 2 decades have been pallette changes.

8.1 is inconsistent, maybe, but they're trying something new.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Whiteboards are great low tech that will never have a good digital high tech equivalent, discuss.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sickening posted:

I honestly use powershell for automation and not much else. If I am going to perform a small task I am either going to use a remote tool or *gasp* rdp into the machine to perform said small task. If I attempted to use powershell for every task I do throughout my day it would be horribly inefficient.

This. Powershell is awesome and incredibly useful, but there are some things that are just easier for me to do through RDP on to the machine. This might be sacrilege even but if I only have to edit or create one or two users in AD and exchange I don't use Powershell. Please forgive me!

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Gyshall posted:

Whiteboards are great low tech that will never have a good digital high tech equivalent, discuss.

Smartboards and projectors are pretty loving awesome and you can do neat poo poo like record your drawings, strokes and things like that for later use or presentations.

We just got a few of the Epson Interactive projectors in. Take the SmartBoard down and you now have a whiteboard AND a screen you can write on/with!

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

LordVorbis posted:

I think that only Win 8 clients can use server manager that works for 2012. If you're on win 7, there's no compatible server manager to connecting to 2012 servers. Or at least, I couldn't find one.

"Your tools machine" needn't strictly be your laptop/desktop. It could be a TS server, and should be if you're needing to work with a higher security environment. Overall, though, the majority of the server management GUI tools can work against a remote server just as easily as the local one and the example of managing GPOs is a great one because anyone RDPing into a Domain Controller just to fire up AD Users and Computers or Group Policy Editor (or better yet, firing up IE and browsing facebook) is objectively doing it wrong.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

keseph posted:

"Your tools machine" needn't strictly be your laptop/desktop. It could be a TS server, and should be if you're needing to work with a higher security environment. Overall, though, the majority of the server management GUI tools can work against a remote server just as easily as the local one and the example of managing GPOs is a great one because anyone RDPing into a Domain Controller just to fire up AD Users and Computers or Group Policy Editor (or better yet, firing up IE and browsing facebook) is objectively doing it wrong.

Using LMI to hop on DCs to do everything is SOP where I work since we generally don't have VPN links to our client sites :ohdear:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Gothmog1065 posted:

Smartboards and projectors are pretty loving awesome and you can do neat poo poo like record your drawings, strokes and things like that for later use or presentations.

We just got a few of the Epson Interactive projectors in. Take the SmartBoard down and you now have a whiteboard AND a screen you can write on/with!

My community college had smartboards. The teachers had to recalibrate them nearly every class. You never need to recalibrate a whiteboard.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
I log into my workstation with domain admin because it makes RSAT easier to use :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

IT related but not necessarily work.

How is it that software is getting worse? Isn't it supposed to get better? WIndows 7 was the best OS ever, why make it worse with 8 and 10? I might be alone but Server 2008 R2 was amazing, why change to that lovely 2012 UI? Why was Firefox the perfect browser in 2006 but when I choose a browser in 2015 I'm just picking the one that annoys me the least?

This.

Dear software vendors everywhere:

We don't use 90% of your "feature rich" solution. Make it fast and motherfucking bombproof and you'll have me for life.

Notepad++ is awesome, but no, I don't need to upgrade the FTP client while I'm scanning a log file so stop loving bothering me.