Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

At GP Vegas I was thinking about getting some cards signed. I know signed cards really don't command any greater value, and in fact can lower it, but is there any real reason to not get cube cards and modern staples signed. I don't plan on selling most of that stuff unless I get truly desperate for money/liquidate my collection.

The only things I'm on the fence about are things like my Marsh Flats, Watery Graves, Windswept Heaths, and Theros Thoughtseize playset.

Convince me to not care, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

rabidsquid posted:

Unless you run Wheel of Fortune you can't feasibly cast more than 7 bolts in one turn so I don't see why you'd run more than 7 mountains and 30 or more fetches.

Mostly because fetches didn't exist for another 10 years.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sigma-X posted:

hmm yes lightning bolt which was only printed in two sets, those sets being M11, M10, two different deck products, Core set decks, two judge printings, alpha, beta, unlimited, revised, and fourth edition.

And a special blank foil insert in Invasion which was incredibly rare (along with the alternate art Ertai in Planeshift).

How many are from this decade?

EDIT: I guess already been answered but I have some anecdotal information. I went looking through a friends old pile of jank from 4-5 years ago for good commons/uncommons and pulled out around a 20 M11 bolts. I put them in my binder and was selling them for 1.25 each and they were gone in a month. If you're going to play any old formats, you need a set of bolts. I would be perfectly happy if Bolts become like Zendikar full-art basics in trades were they are used like 1-dollar trade balancers.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 21, 2015

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

ShaneB posted:

At GP Vegas I was thinking about getting some cards signed. I know signed cards really don't command any greater value, and in fact can lower it, but is there any real reason to not get cube cards and modern staples signed. I don't plan on selling most of that stuff unless I get truly desperate for money/liquidate my collection.

The only things I'm on the fence about are things like my Marsh Flats, Watery Graves, Windswept Heaths, and Theros Thoughtseize playset.

Having signed cards is cool.

This is your chance to be cool.

Don't you want to be cool?

Do it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Naya Burn is really great.
I beat every thing except loving Infect.
Four Sideboard Revelry is Unnecessary.

Did you like my Haiku about my Modern excursion tonight guys?????????

Also Atarka's Command is great because it's Skullcracks. I love Skullcracks.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Count Bleck posted:

The only mode that ever matters is Skullcrack, and Skullcrack isn't THAT good. I find Atarka's Command is pretty overrated in Modern, really. Then again, I have yet to really lose much to burn due to Kor Firewalker/Leyline of Sanctity.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'd say the +1/+1 and Reach mode can be relevant, god knows I love punching people for 6 with it and a prowess'd Swiftspear when they're completely open.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

ShaneB posted:

Got all my rav duals signed a long time, now in my cube. Its rad. Cheaper than foils anyway.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

ShaneB posted:

Tons of schmucks have lands in ther cube. How many have baller signed lands?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Olothreutes posted:

I'd actually be playing with all those lands in Modern... I have a c/ube that has a number of random cards done by artists that will be there, though, so I'll hopefully have some free time to get that hot hot Frost Lynx signed.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I have a signed Bitterblossom and I ended up buying another unsigned one because I was afraid to play with it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Olothreutes posted:

I have a foil Guildpact Steam Vents in my cube.

It's signed. :smuggo:

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

ShaneB posted:

I'd actually be playing with all those lands in Modern... I have a c/ube that has a number of random cards done by artists that will be there, though, so I'll hopefully have some free time to get that hot hot Frost Lynx signed.

Even better, you can lord them over all the modern players that don't have awesome lands instead of just the people you like enough to cube with.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Count Bleck posted:

Haiku correctly, dammit!

Naya Burn, best burn
Trumps all decks, all but infect
Four revels? Needless!

:colbert:

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Naya Burn was the deck I would play.
Lets me win games all night and all day.
Except for infect,
which case I'd be wrecked.
Cut the Revelries; 'Tarka's could stay.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Olothreutes posted:

Get rk post to draw on them if you're going all out.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Chill la Chill posted:

Get rk post to draw on them if you're going all out.

He'll really ball out your lands.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

He imposes an appropriate land tax on them, yeah.

(For those of you who didn't see it last time.)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I have a signed Bitterblossom and I ended up buying another unsigned one because I was afraid to play with it.

If I get a second Judge Hanna, I'm getting one signed, for similar reasons, I want the best for my shinies, but I don't want to have JUST one.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
My playset of Rishadan ports are signed by Rashad Miller and altered to be Rashadan Ports :v:

always get cards signed, it's awesome.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sigma-X posted:

My playset of Rishadan ports are signed by Rashad Miller and altered to be Rashadan Ports :v:

always get cards signed, it's awesome.

That's fantastic.

My biggest regret at GPNJ wasn't going 2/3 drop, it was not having Judge Bolts for Christopher Rush to sign. I did at least have Arena Mana Leaks.

Also seriously Christopher Rush is a tiny, tiny man.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Mr. Peepers posted:

Naya Burn was the deck I would play.
Lets me win games all night and all day.
Except for infect,
which case I'd be wrecked.
Cut the Revelries; 'Tarka's could stay.

My god.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Serperoth posted:

If I get a second Judge Hanna, I'm getting one signed, for similar reasons, I want the best for my shinies, but I don't want to have JUST one.

Same here, I want to send Terese Nielsen my judge hanna to get it signed but kinda worried that it would get lost in the post. :(

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Samael posted:

Same here, I want to send Terese Nielsen my judge hanna to get it signed but kinda worried that it would get lost in the post. :(

Oh god I hadn't considered that, thanks for making me worry :ohdear:
I mean, I've never had anything I actually sent get lost in the mail, but it's still a concern.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Serperoth posted:

Oh god I hadn't considered that, thanks for making me worry :ohdear:
I mean, I've never had anything I actually sent get lost in the mail, but it's still a concern.

I'm pretty sure that if you live in the same country, it wouldn't have trouble but I live in the UK and airmail can be very easy to lose track of. :negative:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
After a break from standard I'm trying to put a deck together, is it right I feel hesitant to trade fetches for Stormbreaths. Fetches will go up, Stormbreath will plummet. Mostly I'm annoyed someone dangled a trade of some of them for some Brimaz, then pulling out all of a sudden without warning.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Samael posted:

I'm pretty sure that if you live in the same country, it wouldn't have trouble but I live in the UK and airmail can be very easy to lose track of. :negative:

I live in Greece, that's why I'm anxious about it.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

The only mode that ever matters is Skullcrack, and Skullcrack isn't THAT good. I find Atarka's Command is pretty overrated in Modern, really. Then again, I have yet to really lose much to burn due to Kor Firewalker/Leyline of Sanctity.

That IS a small upside to Atarka's Command that gets overlooked, though; it does get around both of those cards.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
The only signed cards I have are a pair of Psychogenic Probes.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
pimping your card is decadent bourgeoisie vanity much like never riffle shuffling and double sleeving

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

Why do you need more than 4 Skullcracks in burn? What other green cards do you run?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

A split card Skullcrack/Deal 4 damage is actually pretty great. Seems good if you're already prepared to make the manabase sacrifice.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Taking a look at MM2015 draft, and it seems to me trying to put together a metalcraft deck is this set's trap. You won't be passed good artifacts, and unless you get a lot of bouncelands you won't be able to go crazy with Sunburst.

Any other tips you've seen?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

En Fuego posted:

Taking a look at MM2015 draft, and it seems to me trying to put together a metalcraft deck is this set's trap. You won't be passed good artifacts, and unless you get a lot of bouncelands you won't be able to go crazy with Sunburst.

Don't cut yourself off from the affinity deck just because you think it's going to be cut...

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

A split card Skullcrack/Deal 4 damage is actually pretty great. Seems good if you're already prepared to make the manabase sacrifice.

The Skullcrack mode on Atarka's Command isn't Skullcrack and something else. It's just Skullcrack, except it can't ever kill Kor Firewalker through trickery the way Skullcrack can.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

mcmagic posted:

Don't cut yourself off from the affinity deck just because you think it's going to be cut...

But it's amazingly easy to be cut. A good artifact won't make it past 2 - 3 picks, and there's just not enough of them to become a Metalcraft archetype. Colorless means people can snag the best, which is what happened a lot in Scars block (though that had a huge amount of artifacts).

The blue and white artifacts make it worthwhile in a vacuum, but you're missing a lot of really strong things to break through, I fear.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

The Skullcrack mode on Atarka's Command isn't Skullcrack and something else. It's just Skullcrack, except it can't ever kill Kor Firewalker through trickery the way Skullcrack can.
I never said it was something else, although yeah it does lose some utility against stupid opponents I guess.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

En Fuego posted:

But it's amazingly easy to be cut. A good artifact won't make it past 2 - 3 picks, and there's just not enough of them to become a Metalcraft archetype. Colorless means people can snag the best, which is what happened a lot in Scars block (though that had a huge amount of artifacts).

The blue and white artifacts make it worthwhile in a vacuum, but you're missing a lot of really strong things to break through, I fear.

Well it's like anything else but if you open an etched champion or get passed like a darksteal ax, a hawk idol or a rusted relic pick 3 or 4, I wouldn't hesitate to jump in.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

En Fuego posted:

Sunburst doesn't seem that hard if you really go for it. you've got Evolving Wilds, Sphere of the Suns, Alloy Myr, Wayfarer's Bauble and Rampant Growth at common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Entropic posted:

Sunburst doesn't seem that hard if you really go for it. you've got Evolving Wilds, Sphere of the Suns, Alloy Myr, Wayfarer's Bauble and Rampant Growth at common.

The Domain deck just seems pretty bad to me... The payoff just isn't great.

• Locked thread