Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

KozmoNaut posted:

I live in Copenhagen, so probably the best area in this country. 80% of the 1200s I see for sale are within 50km of me, they're just priced too high and/or in lovely condition.

I don't mind paying a bit more for a perfect example, but within reason.

Make a Craigslist alert. I scored my mk5 for $250 in NYC. It was in great shape. I actually was the first person to email the next day. My assumption was that everyone else thought it was a scam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Just curious, what do you guys think about Yamaha ns10s?

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

64bit_Dophins posted:

Just curious, what do you guys think about Yamaha ns10s?

They sound like poo poo but they're good in studios for various reasons http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep08/articles/yamahans10.htm

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Ugh, finally decided I can't just let a Technics SL-Q202 sit there for €50 and apparently today is a national holiday here so the store is closed :choco:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
There's a pair of 1200s for $600 each, another single one for $500 and another single one for $400 in my area right now, which is unheard of.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I was looking through more ads, and someone is selling two SL-110As, one with an SME 3009 arm, the other with a Technics arm (presumably an EPA-100), apparently without headshells or pickups.

$535 for the pair and it's tempting as gently caress, apparently 3009s go for nearly that much on Ebay regularly. I dunno man, it's a bit of an outlay, and the ad's been up since February.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 14, 2015

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Anime Sandwich posted:

They sound like poo poo but they're good in studios for various reasons http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep08/articles/yamahans10.htm

Yeah I've been in the market for studio monitors lately and I wound up reading that exact article. I figured someone here probably had a pair.

http://i.imgur.com/drJ4VGi.jpg

I've been mixing all of my stuff on these for the past year and there isn't much of a low end so I usually wind up mixing bass bits WAY too loud.
Outside of that though these speakers are great. I picked the pair up for 30$ about a year ago and the higher frequencies come through really clear, horns sound especially good.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I have Yamaha's msp 5 studios, which supposedly are the successors to the smaller versions of the supposed spiritual successors of the ns10s. That's about as close as I get.

I like them very much and would recommend the poo poo out of them at their price point.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BANME.sh posted:

There's a pair of 1200s for $600 each, another single one for $500 and another single one for $400 in my area right now, which is unheard of.

To be quite honest, I think the used market for 1200s has actually improved over the last few years.

I got into vinyl in 2011 and the market back then was almost entirely $900+ per table everywhere I looked. I think a lot of people in the DJ and vinyl scenes panicked when Panasonic stopped making them and scooped them up. If I had to guess, I'd say that at least as many people capitalized on the opportunity to grab any remaining stock to upsell or put their own tables on the market at aggressively inflated prices.

The number of new-in-box 1200s that were going for $1200, $1500, etc. on craigslist/ebay during that time was staggering.

"Vinyl is cool" has definitely crossed well into the mainstream at this point (Yay! More records! More manufacturing growth! More affordability!) but I don't think that the 1200's coveted status has expanded along with it. There are a lot of decent, affordable new tables on the market, to say nothing of all of the solid <$200 vintage gear. Most casual vinyl collectors probably wouldn't appreciate the difference between a 1200 and an AT LP-120 (and that's totally fine, the 120's a pretty solid TT).

Who knows...maybe Panasonic will get tempted to bring it back...

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Flipperwaldt posted:

Ugh, finally decided I can't just let a Technics SL-Q202 sit there for €50 and apparently today is a national holiday here so the store is closed :choco:

Wow the feast of the Ascension is a national holiday somewhere else?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

NihilismNow posted:

Wow the feast of the Ascension is a national holiday somewhere else?
Belgium duh. Is it one in the Netherlands?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Flipperwaldt posted:

I have Yamaha's msp 5 studios, which supposedly are the successors to the smaller versions of the supposed spiritual successors of the ns10s. That's about as close as I get.

I like them very much and would recommend the poo poo out of them at their price point.

Ok cool, I'll see about finding a place to try them out. As far as other options go I've been looking at the Tannoy Reveal 502s, does anyone have an opinion on them?
http://www.tannoystudio.com/reveal-502/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

I know this isn't recording gear chat, but would you happen to know what the relative differences between the MSP and HS series are?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I know this isn't recording gear chat, but would you happen to know what the relative differences between the MSP and HS series are?
Not personally, but I just came across this, which would seem to give an idea of how Yamaha themselves see it.

e: in part, at least

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Not personally, but I just came across this, which would seem to give an idea of how Yamaha themselves see it.

e: in part, at least

Thanks! It would seem as though the MSP series is higher-end. That said, both have gone through at least one revision since that thread was posted.

The HS series was seriously upgraded from the double-digit number days, from what I understand. I've been seeing it on a lot of "best of" lists.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Some dude just put an SL-1501 (same as a 1500, but with quartz locking, platter brake and a different tonearm) up for sale for $30. (I'm guessing he actually meant $300.)

I imagine he's getting absolute swamped with emails right now :v:

(I sent him one, too. You never know, right?)

E: Even if that doesn't go through, I've got an SL-1210 Mk2 haggled down to $380 now, and I bet I can get it lower when I identify a few things that probably need adjustment by now, like the pitch fader etc.

E2: SL-1501:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 15, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

Some dude just put an SL-1501 (same as a 1500, but with quartz locking, platter brake and a different tonearm) up for sale for $30. (I'm guessing he actually meant $300.)

I imagine he's getting absolute swamped with emails right now :v:

(I sent him one, too. You never know, right?)

E: Even if that doesn't go through, I've got an SL-1210 Mk2 haggled down to $380 now, and I bet I can get it lower when I identify a few things that probably need adjustment by now, like the pitch fader etc.

E2: SL-1501:

I like vinyl engine's grainy b&w photos for some reason.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BigFactory posted:

I like vinyl engine's grainy b&w photos for some reason.

They're grainy because they've been badly scanned from printed material.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jerry Cotton posted:

They're grainy because they've been badly scanned from printed material.

I know, but it gives the site an aesthetic.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I also love that a lot of them are beautifully hand-drawn, none of this fancy photography stuff.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

I also love that a lot of them are beautifully hand-drawn, none of this fancy photography stuff.

Autism sucks except when it's great.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

So uh... I bought an SL-1210 Mk2 for $335. Dude bought it new in the mid-80s but it had just been sitting in a closet for years.

Apart from the usual scratches on the dustlid, it won't stay open, I think the hinges have just become a bit weak somehow. I've found a site selling hinges for $30 each, which isn't cheap, perhaps I can find some on Ebay or something.

Other than that, the cueing mechanism was sl-o-o-o-o-o-w to drop, but a little bit of fresh lube and exercise cleared that right up.

The last irritating issue is that the tonearm height adjustment is stuck, like 100% deadlocked stuck. I've googled it a bit, and the issue seems to be that one thread is brass and the other is aluminum, and if they sit for a long time they tend to bind up. I've tried letting them sit with a little bit of WD-40, but that didn't help, so I'll probably have to pull the arm apart and see if some gentle heat from my heat gun can free them up. Then I'll have to clean the threads and regrease everything.

On the other hand, the height is pretty much perfect for my Ortofon cartridge as it is, so I may not even bother, and just let it sit locked where it is :effort:

Oh yeah, and there are a few dark little blemished spots here and there that I can't seem to clean off with the usual mild cleaning agents. Eh, who cares.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
God that drat height thing. I had to practically wrench it off to get it to move and the bloody thing had been taken apart recently.

Where'd you find the hinges? I put off buying the kit from kabusa and then he stopped selling them.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dogen posted:

God that drat height thing. I had to practically wrench it off to get it to move and the bloody thing had been taken apart recently.

Where'd you find the hinges? I put off buying the kit from kabusa and then he stopped selling them.

Yeah, I'm hoping I can stop it from seizing up again if I clean it completely and pack it with some good grease.

I ended up getting the hinges on eBay from a seller in Germany, almost half price.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

So uh... I bought an SL-1210 Mk2 for $335. Dude bought it new in the mid-80s but it had just been sitting in a closet for years.

WHAT DID I TELL YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Electric Bugaloo posted:

WHAT DID I TELL YOU

Yeah, I know.

I don't think Panasonic is going to start making them again, though. Something about the tooling finally being worn out or maybe they couldn't get/make the right ASICs for the quartz lock system anymore.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I went to the San Francisco Art Institute's MFA exhibition last night. One of the artists made/makes cool speakers.

There was also a T-rex with an 18" subwoofer in the mouth but I didn't get a picture of it for some reason

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 16, 2015

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

KozmoNaut posted:

The last irritating issue is that the tonearm height adjustment is stuck, like 100% deadlocked stuck.

I've had good luck getting stuck platters off by taking the table outside in the backyard and just let the sun beat down on it for awhile. Might be worth a shot.

Finally got my Mcintosh MC2105 fixed, a lot of parts subbing and stuff, it sounds fine but far from stock. Six bad output transistors, 1 bad diode in the rectifying circuit, one of the huge filter caps was off spec, couple fried transistors on the driver boards. Got everything sorted, but not in clean way, but the unit wasn't pretty from the start, seen some use over the years. If I can get a couple years out of it I'll be happy.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

TooLShack posted:

I've had good luck getting stuck platters off by taking the table outside in the backyard and just let the sun beat down on it for awhile. Might be worth a shot.

Not nearly enough sun here for that to work, but I am planning on hitting it with my heat gun once I decide to pull it apart.

That's actually the recommended fix by KAB, and they know a thing or two about the 1200.

Then I'll go through all the threads and clean them off 100%, and pack them with some good quality all-purpose grease.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 17, 2015

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Son of a bitch. The tweeter on one of my speakers just stopped working for no discernible reason. I pulled it apart as far as I know how and everything is connected and there were no bad caps so I am at a loss as to how to fix it.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Got a multimeter, take some continuity tests across it, or set it to ohms and see what kind of resistance you are getting. What kind of speaker? If you are getting some resistance how much? Depending on the impedance of your speakers, it might be around 4 ohms. If it's around there might be a problem in the cross over. Are there any switches or dials on the back of the speakers?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It's some kind of early mid 90s Klipsch. No user adjustable settings, just two woofers, a tweeter and a crossover.

I'm leaning toward the crossover because I figure the tweeter should make SOME noise if it's getting a signal but it seems totally dead.

I guess if it's the cross I should toss the speaker? I could see replacing the tweeter...

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Dogen posted:

It's some kind of early mid 90s Klipsch. No user adjustable settings, just two woofers, a tweeter and a crossover.

I'm leaning toward the crossover because I figure the tweeter should make SOME noise if it's getting a signal but it seems totally dead.

I guess if it's the cross I should toss the speaker? I could see replacing the tweeter...

You have two speakers, right? Start trading components between them to narrow your problem.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

By hunting through forums etc., I've finally found out that the "special oil", which Technics supplied for lubing the turntable spindle bearings on their direct drive models, is nothing more special than an off-the-shelf multipurpose ISO 68 oil, commonly used for air compressors and other general applications.

6-10cc vials and syringes of the original Technics-branded stuff or modern substitutes commonly go for $15-20 on eBay. I just bought a litre of generic ISO 68 "compressor oil" at the local hardware store for $7.50.

I smell a business opportunity (and I bet that's what the dudes selling oil-filled syringes on eBay did, as well).

Either way, I'm sure it's good for door hinges and stuff, too.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 19, 2015

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I paid $40 for a genuine replacement Thorens belt for my TD-160 when I bought it, but truthfully I've barely used the thing. I find it way more convenient to just use my phone and a bluetooth receiver hooked into the aux of my receiver.

I tried playing some 45's for the first time in months last night and I noticed that its running maybe 5-10% slower :negative:

Here's hoping the belt is just stuck somewhere between the 33 and 45 setting on the spindle, and I don't need a new belt again.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
got these monstrous bastards out to list today. I don't know how the CDC-4a survived in condition this pristine, other than being kept in its original box for 25 years.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I once had a Nakamichi SR-3 that would have paired with that CD player nicely

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Dude, that Luxman is awesome, I have it's smaller brother a R-115, great sounding receiver.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
So I found this in the electronics recycling at work:

gently caress you, previous owner:

Ultra-expensive proprietary cartridges aside, anything I need to know or should know? Have I found something good? It turns around smoothly without much noise, but I don't own any vinyl to test out the playback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Bought this beauty second hand:

MUSE M20 EX2 TA2020

and it performs just as well, if not better than

Kenwood Basic C2 pre-amp
Kenwood Basic M1 power amp

that's frankly rather impressive, considering it cost me about 37 bucks

my speakers are a pair of Dali 2a and Dali 102. i've got the Muse hooked up to the pair of Dali 102 and i'm not even sure if i want to hook them back up to the old stereo...