Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swizzbutt
Jul 12, 2014

Hawklad posted:

No discussion of the new Steven Wilson? Just got it in the mail last week, still digesting it.

I loved the new album but it took maybe 4 listens before it "clicked." Then I listened nonstop for a few weeks so now I have to give it a break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hawklad posted:

No discussion of the new Steven Wilson? Just got it in the mail last week, still digesting it.
I listened to it once the week it came out and never felt the desire to listen to it again.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I listened to it once the week it came out and never felt the desire to listen to it again.

same. Funnily enough I had a dream last night that involved me coming to like it. If only

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Listen to it again; it is literally an album that grew on me after a few listenings to the point I quite like some of it now, whereas I didn't first time through.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
Yeah, definitely give it multiple listens. You'll find more to like about it with each time through. I had it rocking in my car for a few weeks and the only real bummer of a song is track 4, which Is the only track I couldn't get into. The spoken word thing is really dumb in this instance. But HCE as a whole is his best since Insurgentes. Guthrie and Marco really tore it up on this album, and that female vocalist was fantastic!

Insurgentes is still his best solo album by a fair margin, but HCE reaffirmed my faith in Steven as a solo artist.

RTRTS was pretty great, but with only six tracks, there wasn't much too it.

I found GFD to be pretty lame. There were some cool riffs, but a lot of the songs just seemed to go nowhere, and the jazzy solos went on for far too long. A fair number of those songs seemed to never have graduated from the demo stage (as far as songwriting/arranging are concerned). But the production on every one of his albums has been stellar.

Prog Doctor fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 14, 2015

Swizzbutt
Jul 12, 2014

Prog Doctor posted:

Yeah, definitely give it multiple listens. You'll find more to like about it with each time through. I had it rocking in my car for a few weeks and the only real bummer of a song is track 4, which Is the only track I couldn't get into. The spoken word thing is really dumb in this instance. But HCE as a whole is his best since Insurgentes. Guthrie and Marco really tore it up on this album, and that female vocalist was fantastic!

Insurgentes is still his best solo album by a fair margin, but HCE reaffirmed my faith in Steven as a solo artist.

RTRTS was pretty great, but with only six tracks, there wasn't much too it.

I found GFD to be pretty lame. There were some cool riffs, but a lot of the songs just seemed to go nowhere, and the jazzy solos went on for far too long. A fair number of those songs seemed to never have graduated from the demo stage (as far as songwriting/arranging are concerned). But the production on every one of his albums has been stellar.

I agree, RTRTS was great but I wanted more songs. I do love Raider II though, and a couple other songs off GFD, but HCE is great. Perfect life isn't my favorite either but my friend who isn't as into prog loves it. Routine is really amazing.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Chalk me up as another person who took a couple listens to go from "this is ok" to really liking Hand Cannot Erase.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I like HCE better than his other stuff now, it definitely grows on you. Home Invasion / Regret #9 is the highlight of the album for me. I really like Guthrie and Marco on their own, but think that Steven pulls out the best from them so I hope they continue working together.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Got Gavin's new 're-imagining' of several PT songs in a 'big brass' sound on CD/DVD and vinyl today.

Not liking it.

vvvv go listen to his video of Hatesong/Halo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9PCreC7Lfk

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 18, 2015

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

why not?

i've been curious about that album

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
I've been listening to it almost non-stop since Tuesday. I love it! And while, technically, most of what Gavin plays isn't really jazz drums - it's a lot like listening to late 60s/early 70s Don Ellis albums, and also a bit like Grand Wazoo.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

It's been said before, but Wolflight is the best album cover.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
:eyepop:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steven-Wilson-Porcupine-Tree-Love-Death-Mussolini-Cassette-Very-Rare-Original-/111655991391

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Crimson announced a ten show tour of Canada for November. Quebec, montreal, toronto, calgary, vancouver.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I have always wondered why King Crimson has been so strict with it's discography showings. Not a single Court of Crimson King video to be seen on youtube.

Also has there been any sort of resurgence in this really tasteful genre?

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
Chris Squire has a rare form of leukemia

:(

Yes will still tour with Billy Sherwood on bass.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Grouchio posted:

I have always wondered why King Crimson has been so strict with it's discography showings. Not a single Court of Crimson King video to be seen on youtube.

Robert.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

Crimson announced a ten show tour of Canada for November. Quebec, montreal, toronto, calgary, vancouver.

Apparently tickets don't go on sale until Friday. Where did goons get their US tour tickets? They don't seem to have an official website, so I assume maybe through ticketmaster...?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Marklar posted:

Chris Squire has a rare form of leukemia

:(

Yes will still tour with Billy Sherwood on bass.

and John Wetton posted on his twitter he just went in for two unknown-yet-important surgeries. Bad times for prog bassists.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Seventh Arrow posted:

Apparently tickets don't go on sale until Friday. Where did goons get their US tour tickets? They don't seem to have an official website, so I assume maybe through ticketmaster...?

Presale code for Toronto is ELEMENTS. Don't sit in the front rowes if they repeat the 'drummers in front' unless you like admiring drum kits to the exclusion of seeing Fripp and the back row.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

Presale code for Toronto is ELEMENTS. Don't sit in the front rowes if they repeat the 'drummers in front' unless you like admiring drum kits to the exclusion of seeing Fripp and the back row.

Yeah, I see that the presale has ended - thanks anyways! I'll just check it out at 10:00 and hopefully all the seats don't sell out too quick.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

ohboyohboyohboy :slick:

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

is this how people dance at king crimson concerts these days

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Grouchio posted:

I think the genre is less frowned upon now (even pitchfork gave a reissue of Close to the Edge 9/10 a while back) but I don't think the golden age of prog sound is going to come back like post-punk did anytime soon. Though the way I see it 70s prog was a specific style from a specific time but progressive rock lives on in any band that pushes the envelope. Rehashing marrying Romantic composers to rock ad nauseum isn't, well, progressive.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Leprous' new album has a few great tracks. I've only given the album a few listen, but this is the track that stood out the most:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk8pDqW-dI4

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm listening to the weird album Terry Bozzio and Billy Sheehan did together, so I just looked up Bozzio and found out that he played drums on a KoRn album. I need somewhere to express my disbelief and confusion.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm listening to the weird album Terry Bozzio and Billy Sheehan did together, so I just looked up Bozzio and found out that he played drums on a KoRn album. I need somewhere to express my disbelief and confusion.
He was supposed to be a semi-permanent replacement for David Silveria, but Jonathan Davis kicked him out of the band because he kept trying to write all their music. It was the weird creative conflict to end all weird creative conflicts.

Daryl Fucking Hall
Feb 27, 2007

Daryl ohhhhhhhh Daryl

Henchman of Santa posted:

I will use any excuse to post this. The guy playing drums is Bozzio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d1lQxreiFQ

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Grouchio posted:

Not sure if they've been discussed in this thread yet, but I've really been enjoying Flying Colors. They're somewhat of a "supergroup" including Mike Portnoy, Neal Morse, Steve Morse (occasional guitar player for Deep Purple and Kansas) and some other guys I don't know much about. Their second album ("Second Nature ") is especially good. It strikes just the right balance between showoffy prog noodling and straightforward, almost hair-metal-ish bombast. They use tricky tempos and chord changes where it counts, but not at the expense of good, solid, memorable songwriting. It's definitely the freshest thing to come out of the Morse/Portnoy camp in the last decade or so. (The first album is good too, but has more weak points where they seemed to hold back a little too much from progging out.)

I think it's on all the streaming services if you want to listen.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Flying Colors is a fantastic band. I was hooked from the moment I heard "Blue Ocean," but their latest album is great too - "Mask Machine" was a good choice for a single. I hope I get to see them live. The only other supergroup I've ever really been interested in is Them Crooked Vultures and it really doesn't look like they're going to do anything again.

Interesting trivia: Steve and Neal Morse are not, in fact, related.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Chocobo posted:

Leprous' new album has a few great tracks. I've only given the album a few listen, but this is the track that stood out the most:

I'm really digging the new album. It's a nice departure from their other stuff and everything about it is really impressive. I think Moon is my favourite track at the moment.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Seventh Arrow posted:

"Mask Machine" was a good choice for a single.

It also holds the title of best Muse song in years, even though it's not by Muse.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

The Steven Wilson gig in LA on June 13 will be live streamed on Yahoo:

https://screen.yahoo.com/live/event/steven-wilson

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Iucounu posted:

Ill be there!! :dance:

Really looking forward to this show. The reviews have been really good. Wilson is such a perfectionist. He apologizes for using a taped recording of Katherine Jenkins on "Perfect Life".

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

After Amazon dropped the ball hard, I finally have my copy of "Live At The Orpheum" on vinyl.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Chocobo posted:

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm enjoying it a lot. Triumphant is probably the track I'm listening to most at this point. I hadn't listened to Leprous at all before now. The drummer and vocalist are both really good.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

So I caught the Steven Wilson gig in Mesa yesterday. It was by far the best show I've ever seen. If you get a chance to catch the tour you really should, it was incredible.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Last day of Guitar Circle 2015 camp here in rural Hope NJ with Robert Fripp directing. We leave tomorrow AM and I'll put a trip report together about camp, playing guitar the first time ever with RF standing telling me what to play, some views expressed here, etc.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Iucounu posted:

This is starting now, just a reminder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
Fantastic!! Unfortunately, due to time zones not working in my favor, I can't stay awake for the full thing. But this band is great! Who are the new drummer and guitarist? What happened to Marco and Guthrie?