Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Autonomous Monster posted:

Relying on Quen for defence is a bad idea, but there's no reason not to throw it on before a fight just in case. It's not as if it blocks stamina regen like in 2.

Woah wait what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Schlesische posted:

A lot of the time you don't have a choice in who wants to fight you. Ability points in delusion are the exception.

Not true at all theres dozens of situations you can talk out of without Axii that one you quoted is one example.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

Not true at all theres dozens of situations you can talk out of without Axii that one you quoted is one example.

There are equally dozens of situations where fights are going to happen regardless after a conversation, and probably about a dozen where a fight is going to happen if you did something wrong.
It's not like Witcher 2 where it was Axii or crapshoot on Intimidation/Persuasion but there's still a lot of those "well gently caress you I still want to fight!" moments.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh man, checked my quest log and just realized a couple of the White Orchard ones are resolved in text rather than cutscene. The peasant woman who got mauled by the griffin survived her injuries thanks to my potion but lost her mind and is now a vegetable. :smith:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Arglebargle III posted:

Woah wait what?

It doesn't block all damage and it doesn't stop stamina regen. The alternate version of Quen blocks all attacks and heals Geralt, but drains stamina.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh man, checked my quest log and just realized a couple of the White Orchard ones are resolved in text rather than cutscene. The peasant woman who got mauled by the griffin survived her injuries thanks to my potion but lost her mind and is now a vegetable. :smith:

I had mine resolve slightly differently. After taking the Swallow I provided, the women recovered, according to the Herbalist, but was then taken away by some Nilfgaardians. :confused:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Are trophies not rendering for anyone else?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Do you get experience for killing monsters?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Something about the Geralt Holiday look speaks to me. Just need a big dumb hat. (Slight spoilers in the second shot.)

Orv fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 21, 2015

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

gently caress gooseberries.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
wait quen alternate lv3 doesnt drain stamina and heals me? like i can keep it on infinitely?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
How come i can't import my Witcher 1 save and use my sex cards in my Gwent deck?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Anae posted:

Also the movement being such a pain in the arse but I appreciate that's much more complex to change.
Yeah, this is easily my biggest sticking point with the game. Moving Geralt around feels genuinely bad. Usually this isn't a big deal, as if movement is something simple that most games just "get", but this is the first game, in a long time, where simply moving the player character around genuinely does not feel good. I can appreciate different strokes, mind. For example, some people don't really like the 3D Zelda movement, because it has a little bit of weight and momentum, but that is similar to what CDPR has going on here. The only "simple" fix I could recommend is maybe applying a large amount of inertia to Geralt's physics so it takes about a full second for him to get up to speed. That wouldn't radically impact running around across wide open spaces, which is what the movement systems seem to be designed around, but it might help actually exploring anything in any capacity move involved than "go".

I really can't articulate how bad the movement feels at times. It almost feels like the movement systems were handled as an after thought, like it didn't exactly matter how the player character handled, so long as it got the player around quickly enough. Horse controls, by comparison, are actually pretty solid. They ARE appropriately weight, but still responsive, unlike Skyrim, where the horse controls like a clumsy floaty tank. So maybe there's hope that CDPR can actually "fix" this rather simply by tinkering with a couple of physics variables.

Baron Bifford posted:

Do you get experience for killing monsters?

Yes, but it is very very insignificant. You can maybe stand to grind for the last 10-20% of an XP bar, but it will still take a good while, and loving forget grinding an entire level. Even side quests offer relatively little XP. The bulk of your XP gain is going to come from completing main quests.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Kiggles posted:

Yes, but it is very very insignificant. You can maybe stand to grind for the last 10-20% of an XP bar, but it will still take a good while, and loving forget grinding an entire level. Even side quests offer relatively little XP. The bulk of your XP gain is going to come from completing main quests.
This is distressing, because I am not high level enough to continue the main quest line (I am playing on Hard).

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Patch seems to have broken gog galaxy, left it downloading and came back to see it crashed. Now it's not patching anymore but game is still 1.02

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kiggles posted:

Yeah, this is easily my biggest sticking point with the game. Moving Geralt around feels genuinely bad. Usually this isn't a big deal, as if movement is something simple that most games just "get", but this is the first game, in a long time, where simply moving the player character around genuinely does not feel good. I can appreciate different strokes, mind. For example, some people don't really like the 3D Zelda movement, because it has a little bit of weight and momentum, but that is similar to what CDPR has going on here. The only "simple" fix I could recommend is maybe applying a large amount of inertia to Geralt's physics so it takes about a full second for him to get up to speed. That wouldn't radically impact running around across wide open spaces, which is what the movement systems seem to be designed around, but it might help actually exploring anything in any capacity move involved than "go".

I really can't articulate how bad the movement feels at times. It almost feels like the movement systems were handled as an after thought, like it didn't exactly matter how the player character handled, so long as it got the player around quickly enough. Horse controls, by comparison, are actually pretty solid. They ARE appropriately weight, but still responsive, unlike Skyrim, where the horse controls like a clumsy floaty tank. So maybe there's hope that CDPR can actually "fix" this rather simply by tinkering with a couple of physics variables.

The issue that everyone is having is that Geralt has the momentum and actual turning circle of a big, meaty slab of dude, armored or otherwise. It turns out realism isn't always the best option, because putting real physics at work on a video game character for the first time fucks with everything. The fiddlyness of the interaction system doesn't help matters.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Northern Wind when using Cat :catstare:

The entire universe is white.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

I trained my Roach to do cool tricks like this.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So I'm supposed to go through an area filled with noxious spores, and the quest giver gave me an antidote which I was supposed to use, as well as the formula for it.
Except I got neither. There's nothing new in my inventory, and no new potions to make. Anyone else ran into this problem?

Edit: Nevermind. Seems Geralt pulls one out of his arse when you take a few steps into the poison.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 21, 2015

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Relentlessboredomm posted:

The tower of mice quest is tragic as well and comes the closest to a happy ending thus far.

The tower of mice quest is just romeo and juliet spoilers

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I just wanna play more Gwent. Where's the closest place after the first player in the inn in White Orchard?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Need a bit of advice. Where should I go first? Skellige or Novigrad? The level appears to be lower for Novigrad but everything else in it is levels 20+. Should I have stayed outside until rougly lvl 15 and went to Skellige or ..?

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Are any of you guys at or even slightly below the minimum system requirements? How are you doing performance wise?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

PerilPastry posted:

Are any of you guys at or even slightly below the minimum system requirements? How are you doing performance wise?

I'm right on the minimum (i5 2500k, gtx 660).

Even with most of the eye candy turned down, the FPS is lower than I would like. It's playable though.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

pissdude posted:

Just did the cave quest in Velen with Keira, fought a Wild Hunt warrior and that golem. This game is really fun

That Wild Hunt guy...he never walked out toward me and Keira would push him up against a wall, and then it was very hard for me to attack him because he'd just squat there in a blocking stance in which my sword did almost no damage. I ended up having to do the fight by casting my Lv1 Igni over and over again.

Also there's 2 golems to fight in that cave!

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

PerilPastry posted:

Don't play this on a laptop unless it's a 2000$ one with a 970M/980M.
Otherwise pretty much any 2GB videocard from this decade will produce something that runs around 30fps. Just post your videocard model.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Re: Performance - I'm on a low-to-middling system (i5 3570, 660ti) and putting all the graphical settings on medium with textures on high makes the game look great at a fairly solid 60fps. This might be because I turned off almost all post-processing aside from AO and light shafts, but the game actually runs better than I was expecting. I'll be interested to see how much this new patch impacts performance.

Jusupov posted:

Patch seems to have broken gog galaxy, left it downloading and came back to see it crashed. Now it's not patching anymore but game is still 1.02

Same thing happened to me. I fully closed Galaxy then restarted it just now, and the download resumed just fine. Might be worth trying.

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 21, 2015

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
All right. Thanks a lot guys. I was about due for a rig upgrade anyway I guess :)

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

sauer kraut posted:

Don't play this on a laptop unless it's a 2000$ one with a 970M/980M.
Otherwise pretty much any 2GB videocard from this decade will produce something that runs around 30fps. Just post your videocard model.

First part is wrong. I'm running this with an 860m with default settings, have only had 2 inventory lockups in 35 hours and it's gorgeous and stable.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't get why Novigrad has a separate map select thing when it's just another part of Velen. I was a little confused when I first tried to select the city from the zoomed out map, only to have it go back to where I was standing rather than show a new area or even the city itself.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

keyframe posted:

The entire game takes place in a tornado judging by how much everything moves all the time.

I was thinking this exact thing last night when I found some witch boobs. They kept zooming in on his head and his hair is blowing all over the place in a secluded cave with no entrance or exit.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Did everybody else's graphics setting get hosed sideways by the patch or is it just me? Ran like a charm before.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Re: Performance - I'm on a low-to-middling system (i5 3570, 660ti) and putting all the graphical settings on medium with textures on high makes the game look great at a fairly solid 60fps. This might be because I turned off almost all post-processing aside from AO and light shafts, but the game actually runs better than I was expecting. I'll be interested to see how much this new patch impacts performance.

Same thing happened to me. I fully closed Galaxy then restarted it just now, and the download resumed just fine. Might be worth trying.

Did a few times, it kills the galaxy when the download is almost done or maybe when it tries to start patching.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Orv posted:

The issue that everyone is having is that Geralt has the momentum and actual turning circle of a big, meaty slab of dude, armored or otherwise. It turns out realism isn't always the best option, because putting real physics at work on a video game character for the first time fucks with everything. The fiddlyness of the interaction system doesn't help matters.

But that wouldn't be a problem if once you are stopped you could easily course correct without dashing off the start.

Maybe momentum is the problem, I just think otherwise, because I play a ton of Monster Hunter, and it has momentum out the rear end, but because turning in place from standing isn't a big deal it works out. Provided, that game and The Witcher have different goals, I'm just saying, I don't think there is a problem with Geralt controlling 'heavy' when he is at a full run. The problem is that you go from standing to a full run in nearly an instant. If it took about a full second to get up to speed, and turning/etc would slow you down, (ignoring the sprint) I think things would be pretty solid.

At any rate, we can agree the movement is obnoxious. It would be super swell if CDPR could stand to focus test some potential 'fixes' to see what options actually work. They already have potential testing environments; the game is out. Just have blind players run around completing simple/common tasks, and record the progress. Whichever system seems to elicit the least negative reactions on Geralt's movement across all tasks, that's the one to go with.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I fought a golem and it seemed like it would have went a lot more smoothly without my AI controlled "helper" there, whose constant, damage-less (?) attacks would keep interrupting stuff I was trying to do. Like she would make him go into his blocking stance so my hits would do little damage, or I'd stun him with Aard but she'd knock him out of it immediately.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I fought a golem and it seemed like it would have went a lot more smoothly without my AI controlled "helper" there, whose constant, damage-less (?) attacks would keep interrupting stuff I was trying to do. Like she would make him go into his blocking stance so my hits would do little damage, or I'd stun him with Aard but she'd knock him out of it immediately.

She deals damage. You could just stay behind the golem and hit it from behind forever while it tries to kill her, it seemed like it took more damage from there and when it covers itself it doesn't block its back.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Definitely going with a mage build this time around, which is odd because it never appealed to me in previous Witcher games. At least on Blood and Broken Bones, signs are so goddamn critical (and Alcohest valuable enough, at least early on, that I don't want to spam bombs like I did in TW2) that I can't imagine not investing heavily in making them all that they can be. Also planning on going down the Defense tree and at least getting the damage boosting abilities for fast and strong attacks (Muscle Memory and Strength Training). Should be a solid build, I think.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
This extended weekend is going to be so awesome. My wife and family are going to hate my guts.

I'm going to be grilling for older family members and running back into the house every 5 minutes to bangbus witch chicks.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

Definitely going with a mage build this time around, which is odd because it never appealed to me in previous Witcher games. At least on Blood and Broken Bones, signs are so goddamn critical (and Alcohest valuable enough, at least early on, that I don't want to spam bombs like I did in TW2) that I can't imagine not investing heavily in making them all that they can be. Also planning on going down the Defense tree and at least getting the damage boosting abilities for fast and strong attacks (Muscle Memory and Strength Training). Should be a solid build, I think.

I don't think I've ever ran out of alcohest, even though I meditate to refill constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kiggles posted:

But that wouldn't be a problem if once you are stopped you could easily course correct without dashing off the start.

Maybe momentum is the problem, I just think otherwise, because I play a ton of Monster Hunter, and it has momentum out the rear end, but because turning in place from standing isn't a big deal it works out. Provided, that game and The Witcher have different goals, I'm just saying, I don't think there is a problem with Geralt controlling 'heavy' when he is at a full run. The problem is that you go from standing to a full run in nearly an instant. If it took about a full second to get up to speed, and turning/etc would slow you down, (ignoring the sprint) I think things would be pretty solid.

At any rate, we can agree the movement is obnoxious. It would be super swell if CDPR could stand to focus test some potential 'fixes' to see what options actually work. They already have potential testing environments; the game is out. Just have blind players run around completing simple/common tasks, and record the progress. Whichever system seems to elicit the least negative reactions on Geralt's movement across all tasks, that's the one to go with.

I think, as seems to be a trend the past year or two, people are grossly overestimating what the devs can or will patch. I've gotten used to the movement, but used to and happy with are miles at odds. It'd be nice, but don't get your hopes up.