Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Jon Do posted:

im uncomfortable with the way this conversation steered away from praising system shock 2
i played system shock and i got a trippy ride through some guts and then i accidentally went into some sort of warehouse where robots killed me a lot and i ran out of supplies so i stopped

that's my system shock 2 story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Yeah, I didnt really so much mean that SS2 aged well...

More that I found it atmospheric and tense as hell when I played it, a few years after the fact... and was disappointed in the Bioshocks, though I wasn't up in arms about it.

A modern spiritual successor would be great. I guess that's Dead Space, though I only played the second one... which was underwhelming to say the least.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQQYbd5WFrk

v. atmospheric

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jon Do posted:

Yeah, I didnt really so much mean that SS2 aged well...

More that I found it atmospheric and tense as hell when I played it, a few years after the fact... and was disappointed in the Bioshocks, though I wasn't up in arms about it.

A modern spiritual successor would be great. I guess that's Dead Space, though I only played the second one... which was underwhelming to say the least.

dead space 1 could be renamed system shock 3.

dead space 1 is excellent. it doesnt do anything new, instead it cribs from tons of other games techniques that work and simply polishes them up.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Also play Alien: Isolation. It's kind of like System Shock 2 but without any of the jank or RPG elements.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

VideoGames posted:

dead space 1 could be renamed system shock 3.

dead space 1 is excellent. it doesnt do anything new, instead it cribs from tons of other games techniques that work and simply polishes them up.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Dead Space was ok but lol if you think it's half as good as either System Shock.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
thanks for killing dead space, EA

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Excels posted:

thanks for killing dead space, EA

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Adam Bowen posted:

Dead Space was ok but lol if you think it's half as good as either System Shock.

I do think that :>

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol Like anyone here has even tried playing the first System Shock recently.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

lmao there is no first system shock

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Ekster posted:

lmao there is no first system shock

Honestly SS 1 had an even better atmosphere, however trying to play it is learning an 108 key Gamepad.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Are there any good video LPs of System Shock 1, I'd be interested in that at least.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Ekster posted:

Are there any good video LPs of System Shock 1, I'd be interested in that at least.

Haven't seen any lps , but LGR did a good review:
https://youtu.be/AXrlsiPTQS4

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

lol Like anyone here has even tried playing the first System Shock recently.

I tried playing Half-Life 2 recently and got really bored. Dunno what the big deal is.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

precision posted:

I tried playing Half-Life 2 recently and got really bored. Dunno what the big deal is.

It gets credit for pioneering physics-based combat and being entirely in first-person even though both were done on consoles before (Psi-Ops and Breakdown, respectively).

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Dead Space 1 is a good game, there were also some neat moments that demonstrated that the devs understood sometimes the most effective horror approach was not having something pop out when it seemed like something was about to or having something come after/kill you when it seemed like the scene or conventional game design would make that impossible; it was good at keeping you from ever feeling safe due to it imo

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Dead Space 1 is a good game, there were also some neat moments that demonstrated that the devs understood sometimes the most effective horror approach was not having something pop out when it seemed like something was about to or having something come after/kill you when it seemed like the scene or conventional game design would make that impossible; it was good at keeping you from ever feeling safe due to it imo
I really liked the part where the Necromorph jumps you on one of the elevators midway through the game, because you're are completely safe on them every other time.

The return to the Ishimura in 2 was also fantastic for half of it and then they sadly hosed it all up. 1 and 2 are still good games.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

dead space 3 is a fun game but not a good dead space game

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Half Life 2 may have had good story stuff and physics but even at the time, the shooting and encounter design was lovely.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

bloodychill posted:

Half Life 2 may have had good story stuff and physics but even at the time, the shooting and encounter design was lovely.

And writing, Jesus cliffhanger

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

I actually dropped HL2 right after you get the gravity gun. At the time, I really didn't like the extreme linearity. It also seemed like physics puzzles should have more good solutions, but I was probably just dumb. Also the shooting was bad.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I feel like Half-Life 2 should have just been one whole game, no episode content right after it, but that was the current trend in video games at the time. Thankfully that only works for adventure titles now.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The only part that was really scary I think was the part where you're escaping from the thing you can't kill, you can only slow it down.

If you can kill the gently caress out of everything that really cuts down on how scary it can be. Why am I even afraid? I can murder everything I see!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I have $5 in Google Play credit, someone recommend me some mobile games.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The only fond memories I have of dead space is finding all three games for the PS3 for 5 bucks each, buying all of them(including the limited edition of 2 that came with the railshooter), misplacing them before I even got to play them. And then rediscovering their location because my massive Dark Souls 2 box was obscuring them.

I have still yet to play them.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Game of War.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

FactsAreUseless posted:

Pony Gals

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

is out there on android or ios only cos it's cool

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

get a good book or some music. Will last you longer than any pay mobile app. Espcially since lots of free apps are good.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'd give you a solid answer but I don't really play mobile games

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

They did this well except for they added the worst loving idea ever with Space Asteroids. I don't understand why some games feel like they need to put in these tedious mini games.

The original Half-life was a pioneering game in terms of game play and content back when it was originally released, Half life 2 bored me.

The claim to fame for half-life and half-life 2 was the community modifications. This is what basically pioneered steams top played games for the last 5 years (except DOTA obviously).

Pretty much the steam top 5 games consistently are stand alones of old game modifications.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I think Half-Life 2 is fun. Speaking of fun first-person shooters, I am playing Perfect Dark. Perfect Dark is really cool, it is like GoldenEye, but aged less painfully.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

precision posted:

People really hated cutscenes in 2004.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

precision posted:

There's a section where you keep driving a stupid buggy, then getting out of the buggy, and every time I thought to myself "Oh thank god, the buggy section is over" but then I had to solve puzzles to clear a path for the buggy so I could get back into the buggy. After like the third time this happened I gave up on the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Half-Life 2 is like 1/3rd driving the buggy and airboat which kinda sucks. I think it's a great game but the ground-breaking veneer it had when it came out didn't last until today (which is understandable). Also the guns sound super weak, especially the pistol.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Stranger's Odyssey android port is better than the PC version

Republique is cool but it's really big size wise what with the whole episodes and decent bit-rate voice acting

Attack The Light--that Steven Universe game--is like the Paper Mario 3 that we never got. It's legitimately the best turn-based RPG experience I've had in the past three years. It cribs Earthbound a bit too.

The best SNES emulator is paid only for full compatibility (I don't remember the name because it's had to change several times now).

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://www.caltrops.com/review0010.php

FactsAreUseless posted:

Desert Golf

Monument Valley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Knights of Pen & Paper is pretty good, if for some reason you haven't played it yet.

• Locked thread