Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUCeXApQxNw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

The only surprising part is that both FIFAs are on there, which doesn't make any sense to me

When the new FIFA comes out the old one drops to like a quarter of it's price and gets bunch of sales off that.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
A chinese exchange student I knew from high school said western gamers like three kinds of games: Gun, Car, and Ball.

Bonus points if you combine any of those three.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There are guns and cars in 15, no confirmed balls yet though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Soccer-Football is one of the most reliable sports things out there. It's got a huge audience and relatively little competition.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Would totally play a game called Gunball.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i would play an open world soccer shooter

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I've been playing the GBA remake of FFI the last few nights, mainly because I can lie in bed while I play. The downside is that I tend to doze off and not remember everything I did. Last night apparently I beat the Vampire, and the night before I did the Marsh Cave twice because I didn't remember getting the Crown.

Point is, you can literally beat this game in your sleep.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zombie Samurai posted:

I've been playing the GBA remake of FFI the last few nights, mainly because I can lie in bed while I play. The downside is that I tend to doze off and not remember everything I did. Last night apparently I beat the Vampire, and the night before I did the Marsh Cave twice because I didn't remember getting the Crown.

I've been doing this with DQI on my phone recently and boy is that game primitive.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

How Rude posted:

I would unironically enjoy Janitor Fantasy

Janitor Fantasy?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Zombie Samurai posted:

IIRC the Vampire is pretty much a joke boss, you can beat it without it ever even getting a turn. Have fun doing that dungeon twice as well because you need to leave and come back with a thingie to fight the actual boss of the place.

Also reminds me how large the characters and many boss sprites were in the PSP version which was actually kind of cool, made them feel genuinely menacing.

Marilith needs to get some food in her belly though.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's SE's policy to completely reinvent the wheel with each numbered FF, and FFXV looks kinda neat... but we haven't had a traditional turn-based \ ATB game since FFX-2. I guess the XIII series kinda falls under that, but it's more about switching classes mid battle than determining what abilities or spells your guys do.

For Final Fantasy XVI, I really just want SE to pull another FFIX and totally go back to its roots. Bring back the ATB system and job classes. It may be best not to bring back random battles, but have on-screen enemies like Mario RPG \ Chrono Trigger \ FFXIII \ etc. If they want an open world setting, they could probably do that. I feel like that would draw in the people who fondly remember IV-X but were alienated by XI\XII\XIII\XIV.

I don't know if we'll ever get a new mainline FF with turn-based/ATB gameplay. Management at Square-Enix looks at the best-selling games for guidance on what type of games to make. The best selling AAA RPGs (Fable, Mass Effect, Fallout, Elder Scrolls) are either shooters or action games at their core. The Bravely Default series was a good throwback to old school FF but never got strong support from Square-Enix.

For that matter, I don't think we'll get the same type of wild experimentation with each new entry. They're clearly following the market leader like Bioware, CD-Projekt Red, and just about every other major RPG developer. After all, Skyrim sold over twice as well as FF7. It's more likely we see turn-based/ATB in console-like mobile games such as Final Fantasy Mobius.

Sakurazuka posted:

What a loving depressing list.

I hope this cheers you up:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Wait, Sonic? Really?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I love brands!!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
gently caress Sonic th Hedgehog

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
That game that everybody hated and this franchise that hasn't even released a single game yet are strong contenders for the Next-Gen Top 20!!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sonic the Hedgehog is actually a pretty strong brand. It's just like Skylanders in that it is strong among kids and not the kind of people who post on internet forums.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

The only surprising part is that both FIFAs are on there, which doesn't make any sense to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYPgRV85c5g

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Kanfy posted:

IIRC the Vampire is pretty much a joke boss, you can beat it without it ever even getting a turn. Have fun doing that dungeon twice as well because you need to leave and come back with a thingie to fight the actual boss of the place.

Also reminds me how large the characters and many boss sprites were in the PSP version which was actually kind of cool, made them feel genuinely menacing.

Marilith needs to get some food in her belly though.

Man, that does look good. I'm enjoying the improved GBA graphics as well, I had just forgotten how incredibly easy the remake made the game. I'm not even using magic much either, I'm doing warrior/thief/black belt/red mage this time. The last time I played the NES version, the front half of the game was pretty challenging, at least.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

Sonic the Hedgehog is actually a pretty strong brand. It's just like Skylanders in that it is strong among kids and not the kind of people who post on internet forums.

I refuse to believe that is somehow still a strong brand.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

Children and man-children have bad taste in videogames

Edit:
Furries too i guess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

Its last two games did poorly because Sega stupidly got into an exclusive Sonic game contract with Nintendo but beyond that almost all of their games have done millions-to-multimillions in sales.

Sonic and the Secret Rings for the Wii sold ~3 million copies. Sonic Colors solid over 2 million. Generations did something like 4 million across all consoles. Sonic & Mario at the Olympic Games sold in the neighborhood of 9 million copies, more than any FF game but 7.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't believe Secret Rings sold that well, why? Is it just because it was a Sonic game close to the Wii's release? Why didn't Sonic and the Black Knight become the future? How are people still buying sonic games after 06?

Many questions that the Akashic Record of time has to answer for.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

I can't believe Secret Rings sold that well, why? Is it just because it was a Sonic game close to the Wii's release? Why didn't Sonic and the Black Knight become the future? How are people still buying sonic games after 06?

Kids absolutely love sonic, esp. The under 10 crowd. I know a few relatives kids that have all the recent games. Another kiddie seller is the licensed movies poo poo shovelware, my sister's son absolutely tears thru licensed poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

The honest truth is that Sonic is a strong mascot and, 2006 and Sonic Boom aside, his games tend to be playable-if-unexceptional. A lot of the strong dislike for them comes from poo poo like the Werehog which sucks if you're expecting Sonic but is fine to a kid who is playing Budget God of War with a cartoon character he likes.

I spoke to the director of Sonic Generations at E3 a few years back and he basically said their core idea when designing generations was to try to appeal to both sets of fans. Younger kids almost universally only enjoy the 3D Sonic games and the kind of gameplay and tone they have and Generations was an attempt to get them playing the 2D games and the oldschool grognards playing the 3D games.

It helps that Sega is good at marketing to kids. There's a new Sonic show on TV every few years, he shows up in Wreck-It Ralph, it has an ongoing comic from Archie, they frequently put out toys and games and other stuff, they're pushing him hard on mobile devices where kids are focused now, ect.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sunning posted:

I don't know if we'll ever get a new mainline FF with turn-based/ATB gameplay. Management at Square-Enix looks at the best-selling games for guidance on what type of games to make. The best selling AAA RPGs (Fable, Mass Effect, Fallout, Elder Scrolls) are either shooters or action games at their core. The Bravely Default series was a good throwback to old school FF but never got strong support from Square-Enix.

For that matter, I don't think we'll get the same type of wild experimentation with each new entry. They're clearly following the market leader like Bioware, CD-Projekt Red, and just about every other major RPG developer. After all, Skyrim sold over twice as well as FF7. It's more likely we see turn-based/ATB in console-like mobile games such as Final Fantasy Mobius.

Just one elder scroll, please.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Terper posted:

There are guns and cars in 15, no confirmed balls yet though.

What do you mean, the entire game is about balls

Also if you're at all interested in ffxiv you should probably check out the live stream on twitch.tv/finalfantasyxiv for some new footage right now

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Beef Waifu posted:

My 3 year old nephew loves playing Sonic

Fister Roboto posted:

Just one elder scroll, please.

Morrowind in the only Elder Scroll we need. :colbert:

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Sega caters to what was always the core audience of videogames: Children.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Beef Waifu posted:

Enough about games that change their gameplay each entry instead of improving them, focus on having the best graphics even if the game is reduced to a corridor, and constantly pander to nostalgia.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
FFXV-2: Sonic Returns

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Sunning posted:

:rip: in peace Square Enix

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hell Sonic has some endless running game some of my cousins were super into on their iphone. I truly believe the sonic franchise will never die, it markets to well to kids and fursuiters to ever truly disappear.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Sunning posted:

This is why I say video games aren't for me anymore. Mario is the only game on that list I actually like. I am a grognard dinosaur at the ripe old age of 28. They sure don't make 'em like they used to. :corsair:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Interestingly enough, I think Sonic is designed to appeal to western audiences in particular, as opposed to having a more global appeal. I remember reading that he's wildly more popular in America and Europe than in Japan, anyway.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Worst Girl posted:

Interestingly enough, I think Sonic is designed to appeal to western audiences in particular, as opposed to having a more global appeal. I remember reading that he's wildly more popular in America and Europe than in Japan, anyway.

How does Final Fantasy tend to do in sales when you compare them in Japan to the rest of the world? It's a good that they're getting feedback from people all over the world for XV, when XIII only had its focus testing done in Japan.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Video games are terrible, I'm going back to playing Snakes n Ladders and Snap.

On my own.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That loving Sned posted:

Enough about games that change their gameplay each entry instead of improving them, focus on having the best graphics even if the game is reduced to a corridor, and constantly pander to nostalgia.

This might be the most insanely reductive post Ibe ever seen in my life

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
The combined sales for Sonic Boom on 3DS and Wii U were 620K according to SEGA's latest reports. Not bad for a pair of games that could contend for the worst game of the generation.

While their development teams and partners leave much to be desired, SEGA's merchandising teams have picked up the slack. They're very good at maintaining the Sonic brand through toys, TV shows, school supplies, and much more. Due to many publishers shifting focus or going defunct, there's been a bit of a gap in the market in regards to retail console games aimed at young children. Activision's Skylanders has taken full advantage of this vacuum.

Bregor posted:

:rip: in peace Square Enix

I believe Tomb Raider is now their strongest performing brand at retail.

Gammatron 64 posted:

This is why I say video games aren't for me anymore. Mario is the only game on that list I actually like. I am a grognard dinosaur at the ripe old age of 28. They sure don't make 'em like they used to. :corsair:

The Mario brand encompasses all of the separate Mario series. We would probably end up seeing Mario Kart and Mario & Luigi RPG up in the top 20 if it was split into sub-brands.

That loving Sned posted:

How does Final Fantasy tend to do in sales when you compare them in Japan to the rest of the world? It's a good that they're getting feedback from people all over the world for XV, when XIII only had its focus testing done in Japan.

Japanese sales used to be disproportionately strong when you take population and userbase into account. Now, the series sales have severely fallen worldwide. FFXIV:ARR seems to have done better overseas but a good deal of the FFXIII trilogy's sales came from Japan. Square-Enix is bit of a big fish in a small pond that is the Japanese console market but the pond is getting smaller and smaller. With the way the new consoles are performing Japan, FFXV and KH3 will be heavily reliant on sales from Europe and North America.

Fun fact, the recently released Final Fantasy X HD remaster for PS4 sold a little under 16K units this week in its debut in Japan. It was the best selling game of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

That loving Sned posted:

I couldn't find any sales comparisons after a quick google search, but I think the series does well overseas. But I think Dragon Quest might be more popular in Japan. In the west, as far as JRPGs go, it's pretty safe to say the Final Fantasy is top dog. Well, close the top if you count Pokemon and whatever else is all the rage. I'm basing this off of my rear end.

edit: According to Wikipedia, Final Fantasy XIII sold over one million units during its opening week in Japan. It sold over one million during its first month in the US.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 21, 2015