Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Trudis posted:

50 with about a thousand hours. Pepper is 45 with almost 900.

good to know im p much on track for that solid gold 50 then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreittis
Jan 7, 2010

Foxhound? Houndfox.

I decided to take the messer out for a spin.

(I am the S†wrd guy on Mason)

No wonder this weapon is so popular, all you really need to do is mash LMB and watch heads roll.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Anyone like using the flanged mace on the knight? I'm really intrigued by a broadsword-speed weapon that can twoshot any class without head hits, but the short reach is a bitch paired with the knight's slow movement.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

How do you beat competent men at arms as a knight? It seems that once MAA's hit lvl35 or so they're functionally invincible thanks to the fact they have 100% control of the fight 100% of the time, and even if they do slip up they have a literal panic button to fall back on five times in a row before tiring out.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
You hit trade them. No matter what weapon you use, you can kill them in 3 or fewer hits, and no matter what weapon he uses, he can't kill you.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So if you're melee archer a good MAA is your worst enemy, since you can't trade hits.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why would you be a melee archer, why aren't you filling his eye sockets with javelins?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Mans posted:

why would you be a melee archer, why aren't you filling his eye sockets with javelins?

Now now, you can stab people with your javelin too.

Grempington
Oct 2, 2014

Forrest Grump

Kreittis posted:

I think I'm decent enough to give advice.

The number #1 thing that bad knights forget to do is parry. Don't try to hit trade, don't try to initiate against longer weapons. Try to parry and depending on your weapon, riposte.

Sword of War is a easy starter weapon for squires, all you really need to learn at first is how to stab riposte. The stab riposte is fast, damaging and you can combo to overhead from it.

Against lighter classes (M@A & archer) make use of the incredibly fast lookdown overheads. Against the dodgy M@A who think they are hip by spamming side dodges, don't be afraid to use slashes and slash ripostes.

Knight isn't as easy as people make him to be. He's just the most simple one to play, thanks to the lack of any kind of special (the increased stamina is a lie).

Make sure not to crutch the ripostes too, and find other ways to approach your opponent.

You need to look at your opponent's footwork to realise his next move before he does it, and try to punish him for it. And sometimes just take the offensive yourself and work on pressuring him.

The main reason you shouldn't crutch ripostes is feints. Well placed feints can destroy defensive playstyles 100% of the time.

For the record I'm rank 52 with 1261 hours.

Also hi kreittis I just remembered I'm an SA member ;v

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Reinstalling this game for the second time this weekend, having installed it Friday and uninstalled it Saturday afternoon.

It is an extremely frustrating game, but I always want to go back to it...

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

Reinstalling this game for the second time this weekend, having installed it Friday and uninstalled it Saturday afternoon.

It is an extremely frustrating game, but I always want to go back to it...

There's a sale on now, I hope to play a little bit before the weekend is out.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm only a few kills away from getting the Pilum. Relearning to play this game is ROUGH... when I was playing months ago I was racking in kills with my Zulu Warrior

Kreittis
Jan 7, 2010

Foxhound? Houndfox.

Grempington posted:

Make sure not to crutch the ripostes too, and find other ways to approach your opponent.

You need to look at your opponent's footwork to realise his next move before he does it, and try to punish him for it. And sometimes just take the offensive yourself and work on pressuring him.

The main reason you shouldn't crutch ripostes is feints. Well placed feints can destroy defensive playstyles 100% of the time.

For the record I'm rank 52 with 1261 hours.

Also hi kreittis I just remembered I'm an SA member ;v

We are talking about starting tips for average pubbers, not advanced tips for veterans. I find defensive pubbers way harder to deal with than someone who just spams messer LMB and hopes that you miss. No need to get onto more complex mindgames. Besides, seeing a feint in official TO server is like finding Tsuchinoko. Very unlikely.

I don't think I have seen you ingame? Unless you are one of those who change name daily.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What is up with players hating feinting? Every so often in chat I see "FCUK YOU _______ YOU FEINTING PUSSY"

I've been playing this game for an hour or so each day since I installed it and it didn't take me long to realize that the players are the worst part of the game. It seems that a solid chunk of time is spent kicking out your own team mates.

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
It's not players that hate feinting, it's bad players that think they are good. Feinting is powerful as hell, as was said, it destroys defensive players that can't read a feint. So, when you see a guy bitching about someone feinting and he's on the other team, feint his rear end all day long because he'll fall for every single one of them.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

What is up with players hating feinting? Every so often in chat I see "FCUK YOU _______ YOU FEINTING PUSSY"

Basically it boils down to "player gets wrecked by feints" -> "player thinks they can win by spamming feint first" -> "player gets wrecked 2x" -> "feinting is omg cheating for pussymen"

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
Things can get hectic and this is trick isn't as great with very fast weapons but - Enemies grunt before and only before a real swing. So don't block until they grunt.

For anyone looking to up their own feint game - it's about rhythm.
You swing - they parry.
They swing you parry.

Now you have options. The pattern has been established - both parties are probably too calm to fall for a feint at this point, but it's a better bet than opening with one.

What you're looking for is a chance to do something unexpected. Say after the above scenario you swing a second time and score a hit somehow. DONT COMBO. That guy is waiting for the combo, just itching to block the second you wind up. This is when you feint.

Again going back to first scenario. Say after you parry their attack you wait too long weighing your odds and they swing. You parry. The opponent is expecting your riposte, go ahead riposte. But make it a feint. Then when he falls for it throw a combo.

Okay, so say this guy Isn't dead yet. He wont just keep eating feints, probably. If you pull one off great, dont push your luck.

Some other tips. Feints get weaker and weaker the more people involved in the fight, you dont want to have a long tied up fight in a big melee cause someone is gonna blindside you or make you block, leaving you open.
Don't feint shield users, usually.

Also just be mindful of your patterns. If you're on a duel server or something, fighting the same few guys over and over you need to have mixup or no one wil lfall for your poo poo no matter how clever it was the first time.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I am super mediocre at best at this game and I have no issues with people using the feint button.

It's more interesting to die and go "hah I'm a dumbass for falling for that feint" than worrying about people contorting themselves and helicoptering around like I'm fighting that goldeneye 64 glitch music video.

"Oh he's got a big ol hammer. well at least I'm vaugely decent enough to handle tha-*desperately parries against crouching triple rotation attacks*" what the fuuuuuuck"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 17, 2015

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Just reinstalled. Where are we playing?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/znorps/

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Section Z posted:

I am super mediocre at best at this game and I have no issues with people using the feint button.

It's more interesting to die and go "hah I'm a dumbass for falling for that feint" than worrying about people contorting themselves and helicoptering around like I'm fighting that goldeneye 64 glitch music video.

"Oh he's got a big ol hammer. well at least I'm vaugely decent enough to handle tha-*desperately parries against crouching triple rotation attacks*" what the fuuuuuuck"

Tell me about it. For a game going for a historical combat angle, the people that are best at it rag doll the hell out of their shielded backs

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 18, 2015

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Inside Out Mom posted:

Just reinstalled. Where are we playing?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/znorps/

I'm hosting a Horde Sandcastle Mod server if PvE is your thing. 10 man co-op kill the bots mode. Hard as hell but with a few modded trick weapons and a hell of a lot of enemies. Survive enough waves and face up to 200 enemies at once.

The server is called "Horde Sandcastle USA" and it's generally full. I play under this name so shout out if you see me.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
I'll give it a shot. Can't be worse than my flailing about on PVP.

edit: yeah that's not much fun without some organization happening. Maybe when we get some people together.

Inside Out Mom fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 18, 2015

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I got called a dirty feinter for the first time ever today, it was heartwarming. :allears:

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
So has anyone had an issue where the game (sound, animations, everything) freezes for like 1-2 seconds, then catches up. It's not lag and I've scaled back the graphic settings so I'm at a near consistent 60fps. It happens randomly and there doesn't seem to be any sort of particular trigger.

System Type= x64-based PC
Processor= Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date= American Megatrends Inc. 0105, 3/28/2011
SMBIOS Version= 2.6
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)= 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory= 7.98 GB
Available Physical Memory= 3.78 GB
Total Virtual Memory= 8.17 GB
Available Virtual Memory= 3.54 GB
Page File Space= 200 MB
Graphics Card= NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 4GB

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Inside Out Mom posted:

So has anyone had an issue where the game (sound, animations, everything) freezes for like 1-2 seconds, then catches up. It's not lag and I've scaled back the graphic settings so I'm at a near consistent 60fps. It happens randomly and there doesn't seem to be any sort of particular trigger.

It's an issue with Unreal Engine itself.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

IAmTheRad posted:

It's an issue with Unreal Engine itself.

So no way to fix it then? That blows.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Free weekend everyone. Dunno if there's any interest outside of the rest of us but...free weekend.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

At this point the game has been on sale so any times that the only holdouts are the ones either not interested or just buying a pc for the first time

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
You can get a hat thing if you follow their community hub or whatever too, I dunno if that's a one-time thing or if it will be available forever.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

At this point the game has been on sale so any times that the only holdouts are the ones either not interested or just buying a pc for the first time

I'm playing on a server where I'm the only above rank 10.

It's great to be godlike even if just for a few days

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

I'm playing on a server where I'm the only above rank 10.

It's great to be godlike even if just for a few days

It's great, I waded into a large battle earlier, and was facing down 2 Knights and a Greatsword Vanguard as a SoW Knight. I parried 3 separate attacks and beheaded one with my counter, then turned around and blocked another strike responding with an overhead that took out the vanguard. I then was facing the last knight alone and he panic blocked. I saw my opening and came in with an alt overhead that beheaded him.

Really does make you feel like a god of war.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Is there anyway to bind laugh to mouse 5 so when I do an overhead I laugh?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Inside Out Mom posted:

Is there anyway to bind laugh to mouse 5 so when I do an overhead I laugh?

I once tried to make a laugh macro so that I could hit "o" and laugh but that never worked.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
This saddens me.

In other news this weekend has helped me get the Maul down.

Feels good man. Best I've ever done. Started with the Masons already attacking the final area and quickly shot up to the top.

Kreittis
Jan 7, 2010

Foxhound? Houndfox.

I didn't even take any screenshots because playing in free weekend is both infuriating because of all the LMB everywhere and teammates attacking me because ??? (I use default customization) and it feels like cheating mowing everyone down.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The funny part is the free weekenders were occasionally more competent at attacking/defending than the regulars since they actually cared about the objective rather than running around like a spaz trying to score 420 helicopter kills. That is, if they knew what the objective was, which wasn't a given.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

When I first started playing I went for points instead of kills, now I ignore objectives unless they're the "fun" ones and just try to pick off lone enemies.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I'm the guy who's always pursuing the objective with psychotic fervor.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Angry Diplomat posted:

I'm the guy who's always pursuing the objective with psychotic fervor.

I am as well, I'll consistently pursue objectives while hitting z-5, pretty fun as I am pretty good at the game. I'll get one or two people on my team to band together and as a small war party we get that objective.

Also, is it terrible that I bought a second copy of this this weekend so that I can deceive enemies into thinking they got beat by a low rank guy? I had one guy yesterday, rank 50, mind you, tell me that I was playing the game wrong after I successfully defeated his helicoptering a 3rd time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Blimpkin posted:

I am as well, I'll consistently pursue objectives while hitting z-5, pretty fun as I am pretty good at the game. I'll get one or two people on my team to band together and as a small war party we get that objective.

On some maps people are so wrapped up in helicoptering at each other that I'll end up mostly or entirely completing an objective by myself. I usually play Knight and am not even particularly good at the game, which makes it even more baffling. People just let this huge armoured yelling man trundle past everyone and clumsily swing a battering ram at a gate for like 30 seconds before anyone thinks to do anything about it :psyduck:

The best is when somebody whacks me, and due to Knight toughness I'm able to stop doing the objective thing, turn around, parry their next hit, smack their head off, and go back to the objective thing. Go away, peasant :smug:

Blimpkin posted:

Also, is it terrible that I bought a second copy of this this weekend so that I can deceive enemies into thinking they got beat by a low rank guy? I had one guy yesterday, rank 50, mind you, tell me that I was playing the game wrong after I successfully defeated his helicoptering a 3rd time.

No, that's pretty funny. I wouldn't spend money on it myself, but it's far from "terrible." As for me, I'm that one person who goes into a Free-For-All round, sees someone insisting on 1v1 fights, and barrels into said 1v1 fights from the side screaming FOR AGATHAAAAAHAHAHAHAGH and swinging madly at everyone.

e: Is there a secret to kicking effectively? My kicks always seem to take a weirdly long time to come out, even the "quick" ones, and barely stagger enemies at all unless they're fully charged mega power kicks. It's probably a combination between latency and Knights Kicking Slowly or something but I just can't seem to get them to work.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 2, 2015

• Locked thread