Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrimSqueaker
Sep 26, 2011
Collusion between teams is something that should not be happening but always does. Some ways, like tactics, are impossible to regulate. Food and drinks have some regulations, but if a rider really needs food or drink his health is more important than concerns about collusion. Mechanical assistance is easier to regulate, so that's why there are strict rules about this. The rules are very clear that riders should not accept wheels from a rider from another team. This rule is more than 30 years old and has been enforced in the past, like when Romain Sicard almost lost the Tour de l'Avenir in 2009 or when Ventoso won the Tour of Hainan because of this rule (link). I can't read from the Meersman tweet what actually happened (did he get a wheel or was it other mechanical assistance? Was it the Sky team car or another rider?) so perhaps that's why there was no penalty there.The penalty for Porte may be harsh but the rule is a good idea. If Aru would flat in a critical moment and Cunego would give him a wheel or Inxhausti would assist Contador then everybody would howl and scream. Teams are racing to compete with each other, not form alliances on nationalistic grounds.

Besides, Porte made a lot of mistakes yesterday. He stopped on the wrong side of the road, didn't draft properly. Another mistake he made was taking a wheel from a rider of a different team when his own team mates were near. If he had waited a little longer all this would have been avoided. Porte and Team Sky have no one but themselves to blame. Let's see if Porte can fight back like a true champion would. Three minutes is not that much in the end (Quintana was three and a half minutes behind at this point last year).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

African AIDS cum posted:

Exactly, this is European sport, you can cheat and do favors, just not be in your face about it. Like when Contador gave stages to Tiralongo? in the giro who later helped him win the Vuelta. Thats how its done. I hope Porte is crying in his stupid little blood doping motor home right now

Well, aren't you unpleasant.

Seriously, lots of people around here hate Sky for being dopers but pull for Contador, who was convicted of doping. The logic as always astounds.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

There is literally nothing wrong with that position, Contador is euro as gently caress, Sky are a bunch marginal gains try hards. Case in point, Alberto attempting the Giro - Tour double, a fear with massive glory and historical significance. Froome, away on a secluded training camp will hope to capitalize on a fatigued rival.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Pocket posted:

There is literally nothing wrong with that position, Contador is euro as gently caress, Sky are a bunch marginal gains try hards. Case in point, Alberto attempting the Giro - Tour double, a fear with massive glory and historical significance. Froome, away on a secluded training camp will hope to capitalize on a fatigued rival.

Doping's kind of a funny sideshow to me because everyone's doing it, but this sums it up when it comes to the actual racing, which is why we're all watching anyway.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Xir posted:

Seriously, lots of people around here hate Sky for being dopers but pull for Contador, who was convicted of doping. The logic as always astounds.

As people have said before, the problem isn't that Sky is doing it, it's that they're doing it and going "neener neener neener, our scientists have more funding than yours"

Although I've never got the Contador love either. I'll just sit over here in my corner and hope they pump sort of miracle juice in to Taylor Phinney to get him back up.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gibbo posted:

As people have said before, the problem isn't that Sky is doing it, it's that they're doing it and going "neener neener neener, our scientists have more funding than yours"

Although I've never got the Contador love either. I'll just sit over here in my corner and hope they pump sort of miracle juice in to Taylor Phinney to get him back up.

Didn't his surgeon say theres a large chance he's never gonna be back to the level he was before the accident? Such a shame what happened to him.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

serious gaylord posted:

Didn't his surgeon say theres a large chance he's never gonna be back to the level he was before the accident? Such a shame what happened to him.

I didn't hear that but just looking at the amount of damage he took, and it's pretty obvious that yeah, he'll never live up to what he could have been, and likely not even get back to where he was.

Guess he can always coach USA Track. RIP

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Crazy descent going right now, crashes everywhere.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Gerrans has crashed again.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Paddyb posted:

Crazy descent going right now, crashes everywhere.

So slippy

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Lol all that confetti getting in the drive trains

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Strong showing from Gilbert there.

Are people booing Astana on the ground or is it just an online thing?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slow burn finish, chuffed for PhilGil.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
That finish was made for Gilbert. I forgot he was even in the race.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Aru was absolutely nowhere

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Aru was absolutely nowhere

2 stages in a row where hes been unable to follow Contador.

GrimSqueaker
Sep 26, 2011

I don't think Aru is in good shape.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
The face of pain, geez.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Hes not going to enjoy the time trial.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Looking at that picture some more, I really hope my pain cave face isn't that bad.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I have a full on Voeckler gurn.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I turn into the 1000 Year Old Man

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Maybe Astana has been burning it too hard the first half of the race.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Russian Bear posted:

Maybe Astana has been burning it too hard the first half of the race.

I think their plan was to smash the first week and try to get Aru ahead on the early mountain finishes, doesn't seem to have worked out for them. I won't be surprised if he fades in the final week and doesn't make the podium.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
That's what I thought about Nibali in the tour last year, but he didn't have to fight off Contador in the third week.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
This guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdXnTu7OGlA

paddyboat fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 22, 2015

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Oh hey, it's gabba weather.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Contador loses 30 seconds, porte another 2 minutes from a crash at under 3.1km's to go. They're not sure if it was in the 3km mark or not yet. Aru is in pink as it stands.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 22, 2015

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
He will probably keep it for about 18 hours.

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

Xir posted:

Yeah, probably because Contador got sanctioned but Porte and Froome went from nobodies to grand tour GC contenders overnight and nothing has happened to them.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pimp Cauldron posted:

Yeah, probably because Contador got sanctioned but Porte and Froome went from nobodies to grand tour GC contenders overnight and nothing has happened to them.

They didnt exactly come from nobodies. They're on poo poo, but lets not be hysterical now.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Scratch that, everyone seems to be suffering now.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 23, 2015

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
a 59k TT looks like the most miserable thing ever.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

tylertfb posted:

a 59k TT looks like the most miserable thing ever.

It's no picnic to watch either. Why are all these GC contenders so bad at time trialling?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Paddyb posted:

It's no picnic to watch either. Why are all these GC contenders so bad at time trialling?

Apparently the wind has really picked up since the first guys finished.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Contador don't care about no wind

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Paddyb posted:

14 seconds off first place over 59k isn't so bad.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Paddyb posted:

Contador don't care about no wind

Its funny that there was any doubt to who was winning this Giro.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
He's a tiny machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

tylertfb posted:

14 seconds off first place over 59k isn't so bad.

I guess I meant "second place contenders". Contador can always knock out a good TT