Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Masterworks of American Experimental Cinema up for pre-order on Flicker Alley. They also have a deal to add the 7-disc DVD set Unseen Cinema for $35, which is a steal.

List of included films:

quote:

1920s

Manhatta (1920-21) by Charles Sheeler, Paul Strand
Ballet Mechanique (1923-24) by Fernand Léger, Dudley Murphy
Anémic cinema (filmed 1924-25, released 1926) by Rrose Sélavy a.k.a. Marcel Duchamp
The Life and Death of 9413–A Hollywood Extra (1927) by Robert Florey, Slavko Vorkapich
Skyscraper Symphony (1929) by Robert Florey
1930s

Mechanical Principles (1930) by Ralph Steiner
A Bronx Morning (1931) by Jay Leyda
Lot in Sodom (1930-32, released 1933) by J.S. Watson, Jr., Melville Webber, Alec Wilder, Remsen Wood, Bernard O’Brien.
Poem 8 (1932-33) by Emlen Etting
Thimble Theater (c. 1938, unfinished until 1968) by Joseph Cornell
1940s

Tarentella (1940) by Mary Ellen Bute, Ted Nemeth
The Pursuit of Happiness (1940) by Rudy Burckhardt
1941 (1941) by Francis Lee
Meshes of the Afternoon (1943) by Maya Deren, A. Hackenschmied
Motion-Painting, No. 1 (1947) by Oskar Fischinger
Meditation on Violence (1948) by Maya Deren
1950’s

In the Street (filmed 1945-46, released 1948, 1952) by Helen Levitt, Janice Loeb, James Agee.
Abstronic (1952) by Mary Ellen Bute, Ted Nemeth
Hurry, Hurry! (1957) by Marie Menken
N.Y., N.Y. (filmed 1949-57, released 1958) by Francis Thompson
A MOVIE (1958) by Bruce Conner
1960’s

Re-Entry (1964) by Jordan Belson
Castro Street (The Coming of Consciousness) (1966) by Bruce Baillie
Excerpt from Walden: Diaries, Notes and Sketches (1969) by Jonas Mekas
Our Lady of the Sphere (1969) by Lawrence Jordan

Love It / Leave It (1970) by Tom Palazzolo
DL2 (Disintegration Line #2) (1970) by Lawrence Janiak
Transport (1970) by Amy Greenfield
Legacy Bonus Films

Seasons… (2002) by Phil Solomon, Stan Brakhage
Manhatta (1920-21) by Charles Sheeler, Paul Strand with new music composed and performed by Henry Wolfe and Phil Carluzzo

N.Y, N.Y. is one of the best experimental films ever made, IMO.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
What's the deal with Disney's blurays? A local store here has a deal on a triple lion king pack, I don't give a poo poo about the sequels but 18 euros for localized Lion King I'm down for it, only I don't think it's the diamond edition

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Egbert Souse posted:

Masterworks of American Experimental Cinema up for pre-order on Flicker Alley. They also have a deal to add the 7-disc DVD set Unseen Cinema for $35, which is a steal.

List of included films:

I...must have this. poo poo, most of those are some of the best experimental films ever made. :stare: I can't believe somebody actually took the time to remaster them for the twelve people that will buy the set.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I...must have this. poo poo, most of those are some of the best experimental films ever made. :stare: I can't believe somebody actually took the time to remaster them for the twelve people that will buy the set.

Flicker Alley may be the next Criterion. They are already the outlet for Blackhawk Films and Lobster Films, which covers most silents not handled by Cohen or Kino. I never thought Man with a Movie Camera would get a 4k restoration, let alone a Blu-Ray.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

List of included films:

I have a good friend who would absolutely fuckin LOVE this collection. Thanks for the heads up!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
What's the deal with the max mad bluray releases? They're dubbed, even on region 2?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Honest Thief posted:

What's the deal with the max mad bluray releases? They're dubbed, even on region 2?

All editions except maybe the ancient Image DVD have the dub as an extra track

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Can anyone confirm this Universal Monster BR collection UK release the same as the US release? Everything seems the same, but the price is half of the US..

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Monsters-Essential-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B00G3LO64G

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Dr.Caligari posted:

Can anyone confirm this Universal Monster BR collection UK release the same as the US release? Everything seems the same, but the price is half of the US..

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Monsters-Essential-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B00G3LO64G

That looks to be the same. I highly recommend it.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Dr.Caligari posted:

It's the same, might even be cheaper to actually order it from the UK Amazon

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Boxsets are routinely cheaper from Amazon UK. Not quite sure how that happens taking into account the weak dollar and the price of shipping (which make individual titles more expensive to import from the UK) - I guess the US divisions of the film studios inflate the boxset prices more than the UK divisions do?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Anybody mind lending a hand with some minor blue ray tech support. My mom bought a cheapish LG BPM33 blue ray player and she is getting picture but no sound. I messed with all 4 sound outputs along with the 3 freqs to and luck on that end. What could be causing this? Apologizes if this is the improper place to ask.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Boxsets are routinely cheaper from Amazon UK. Not quite sure how that happens taking into account the weak dollar and the price of shipping (which make individual titles more expensive to import from the UK) - I guess the US divisions of the film studios inflate the boxset prices more than the UK divisions do?

Well you also forget that we usually don't get charged vat on boxsets

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Rythe posted:

Anybody mind lending a hand with some minor blue ray tech support. My mom bought a cheapish LG BPM33 blue ray player and she is getting picture but no sound. I messed with all 4 sound outputs along with the 3 freqs to and luck on that end. What could be causing this? Apologizes if this is the improper place to ask.

Did you try it with another HDMI cable? It could be a bad cable or a HDCP issue.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Honest Thief posted:

I've heard this a few times on these boards and I don't know where this is coming from. Every region 1 release of Mad Max on DVD or blu-ray has the original soundtrack as the default setting. In fact they even give the option of 5.1 surround or the original mono.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Call Me Charlie posted:

Did you try it with another HDMI cable? It could be a bad cable or a HDCP issue.

Tried with a know good HDMI and still only picture and no sound. I did get a message that said signal is DVI connection please use HDMI1 and audio 3.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

DVI doesn't carry audio so if it thinks you're plugged into a DVI source / input that would explain your symptoms.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Maybe the new version of BluRay is what Michael Bay, the Leni Riefenstahl of our time, is waiting for to put Bad Boys II, the reason cinema was invented, on high-definition disc format?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

TheScott2K posted:

Maybe the new version of BluRay is what Michael Bay, the Leni Riefenstahl of our time, is waiting for to put Bad Boys II, the reason cinema was invented, on high-definition disc format?

I watched that movie again recently for the first time since it was new and I had a whole series of anxiety attacks. Because they do this buddy bickering non-stop, and the whole time I was waiting for them to say something, anything, that's actually funny. I barely made it through it without getting a full blown panic attack. It was bizzare.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

GhostDog posted:

I watched that movie again recently for the first time since it was new and I had a whole series of anxiety attacks. Because they do this buddy bickering non-stop, and the whole time I was waiting for them to say something, anything, that's actually funny. I barely made it through it without getting a full blown panic attack. It was bizzare.

If McCain had won in 08 that kind of talk would land you in Guantanamo

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Gattaca is down to $4.96

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...MDV24XVCKDNRQKA

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

TheScott2K posted:

Maybe he's a purist, and is waiting for hipsters to fall in love with 35 mm film again so that way he can issue a copy of the film on 35 mm film for the real high-def experience. that only the photochemical process can provide.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Forbidden Zone - Sept. 29

Also, a remastered Terminator 2 was just released a week or so ago:
http://www.amazon.com/Terminator-2-Judgment-Day-Blu-ray/dp/B00UFMKSDW/ref=sr_1_492?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1433011674&sr=1-492

Early buyers have confirmed it does not have the DVNR problems that the Skynet Edition has and it's now encoded as AVC.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Do we know how this Forbidden Zone compares to the British release from a few years ago?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Does anyone here have experience with Arrow video releases? Amazon and etc all list them as region 2 PAL but I've heard that the movies themselves will play on region 1 NTSC players and it's just the special features you can't watch.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

CPL593H posted:

Does anyone here have experience with Arrow video releases? Amazon and etc all list them as region 2 PAL but I've heard that the movies themselves will play on region 1 NTSC players and it's just the special features you can't watch.

I have their Battle Royale release and everything plays on my US region player with no hassle, but I don't know if that's universal to all their releases or not.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Amazons system is outdated and really only applies to DVDs. If the disc isn't region coded (which might be down to specific titles having different ownership I different countries and thus enforced, so best to check on a case by case basis), as long as the menu and any pre-roll isn't 25p/50i you should be golden. Some players will crash on that footage, which is kind of baffling in this day and age, but that's the case. The main feature will almost always be 24p and identical regardless of Region A or B, as long as you can get to it.

I have an Arrow disc of Demons, if I remember I'll pop it in my player tomorrow and see what my TV info pops up with before the film starts.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

the Arrow release of Forbidden Zone is all-region and totally perfect

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I will say that as someone who can only play region 'A' discs it's pretty annoying to go on DVDBeaver and see something like this, for the Foxy Brown release:

Region 'B' release: Arrow | Special Features: commentary, interviews, trailers, etc.
Region 'A' release: Olive Films | Special Features: gently caress you

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Amazons system is outdated and really only applies to DVDs. If the disc isn't region coded (which might be down to specific titles having different ownership I different countries and thus enforced, so best to check on a case by case basis), as long as the menu and any pre-roll isn't 25p/50i you should be golden. Some players will crash on that footage, which is kind of baffling in this day and age, but that's the case. The main feature will almost always be 24p and identical regardless of Region A or B, as long as you can get to it.

I have an Arrow disc of Demons, if I remember I'll pop it in my player tomorrow and see what my TV info pops up with before the film starts.

Yeah, I know Amazon is often wrong about the technical specs of blu-rays and DVD so this is why I asked. I recently got the German blu-ray of Death Becomes Her and it plays without any issue and I believe that was listed on the site as Region 2 PAL. I only even knew to look into that because someone here brought it to my attention. And I know sometimes you can watch the movie but not the special features with import discs which is the case with another European disc I have. Not being able to access special features is of little concern to me because I hardly ever watch that stuff anyhow, I just want the movies and in the case of some of the more esoteric titles it appears that region 2 discs are the only option.

Update!
For curiosity sake I did a bit of googling and it appears I actually have an all regions player and didn't know it because it was never mentioned in the manual or advertising for that model. Though I'm still not sure why I can't watch the special features on some foreign discs but I guess that's the PAL thing.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 31, 2015

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CPL593H posted:

Update!
For curiosity sake I did a bit of googling and it appears I actually have an all regions player and didn't know it because it was never mentioned in the manual or advertising for that model. Though I'm still not sure why I can't watch the special features on some foreign discs but I guess that's the PAL thing.

It's possible that the special features are 1080i50 - some devices have issues playing those

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Slate Action posted:

I will say that as someone who can only play region 'A' discs it's pretty annoying to go on DVDBeaver and see something like this, for the Foxy Brown release:

Region 'B' release: Arrow | Special Features: commentary, interviews, trailers, etc.
Region 'A' release: Olive Films | Special Features: gently caress you

Now try being in a Region B area and not being able to buy the Scream/Shout! Factory stuff. I know it's not their fault, but still.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CPL593H posted:

Update!

That's pretty unusual, I'm guessing it's not a mainstream player like a Sony etc? My Panasonic is modded for multi region but I had to do it myself and enter codes every time I change region. It's also a bit more common to have a player that can do DVD MR but BD is still fixed.

And PAL/NTSC isn't really a blu thing, as that indicates different resolutions as well as frame rates. 50/60hz is related to it but it's more a specific singular issue. It's still the same as the 90/00s in that playing 60hz in Europe is no big deal but 50hz in the U.S. will crash some players. No idea why.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Amazon is a poor resource for determining region locking. Good resources do exist though! While the blu-ray.com forums are full of slipcover-obsessed and SteelBook-obsessed and so on weirdos, all that OCD in one place makes their database pretty useful!

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?studioid=323

That's a link to Arrow titles, and most of them have reviews that discuss the region locking and whether there's any 1050/i content that would be problematic in US players. You can also just search for titles in the top search bar of the site (change the flag on the right of the search bar to UK, or just to "All countries") and search across all international titles they track (which is pretty close to most of them in my experience, certainly everything from the UK).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

DVD Beaver on Man with a Movie Camera from Flicker Alley's new Vertov set :aaa:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

That's pretty unusual, I'm guessing it's not a mainstream player like a Sony etc? My Panasonic is modded for multi region but I had to do it myself and enter codes every time I change region. It's also a bit more common to have a player that can do DVD MR but BD is still fixed.

And PAL/NTSC isn't really a blu thing, as that indicates different resolutions as well as frame rates. 50/60hz is related to it but it's more a specific singular issue. It's still the same as the 90/00s in that playing 60hz in Europe is no big deal but 50hz in the U.S. will crash some players. No idea why.

Turns out I was mistaken. I found some people selling modded versions of the player I have. It's a Sony.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

:vince: That's a buy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yup. Screens like that are why I subscribe to this thread.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

loving awesome. I remember discovering this movie on a passed-around-and-copied-too-many-times VHS back in the 80's. We knew we liked Oingo Boingo but otherwise had no idea what the gently caress we were seeing. Good times.

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, a remastered Terminator 2 was just released a week or so ago:
http://www.amazon.com/Terminator-2-Judgment-Day-Blu-ray/dp/B00UFMKSDW/ref=sr_1_492?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1433011674&sr=1-492

Early buyers have confirmed it does not have the DVNR problems that the Skynet Edition has and it's now encoded as AVC.

God dammit I've already triple dipped the first movie, are they seriously going to make me do it again for T2? I hate being a fanboy sometimes. And they do this while True Lies sits on DVD in poo poo quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Any good options for Hard Boiled from Dragon Dynasty? New copies are out of stock and amazon doesn't give a timeframe (are they out of print?). There's one used copy but it's disc only, nothing else.

• Locked thread