Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Verranicus posted:

One thing I'm noticing is that northern Velen has far, far fewer question marks on it as I ride around reading all the notice boards. Is this because I haven't progressed far enough in the story, or are there really that much fewer than the south?

Most of the area north of the Pontar is filled by the six or so message boards in Novigrad. Also message boards refill fairly quickly with new PoIs every couple of days.

Orv fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
How relevant's armor so far late game? Cat School is looking really nice, but I don't want to face the situation of giving up even upgraded version if Eredin or whoever ends up as final boss just splats me like a fly eventually.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
So I'm playing on the hardest difficulty, but I'm finding I'm running into a lot of trouble even when fighting a group of drowners at the beginning of the game. Everything seems 4 or so levels higher than me, and they hurt a ton! Any advice for playing on this difficult?

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Brackhar posted:

So I'm playing on the hardest difficulty, but I'm finding I'm running into a lot of trouble even when fighting a group of drowners at the beginning of the game. Everything seems 4 or so levels higher than me, and they hurt a ton! Any advice for playing on this difficult?

Drowners are the hardest enemies in the game.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Brackhar posted:

I find strong attack works better on them than fast attack. Do 2 strong attacks, then re-position. Don't get baited into chasing after them while they hop backwards because they are just going to punish you.

Oh also if you have to fight more than one just give up all hope and turn off the game. You can probably pull them one at a time though if their patrol paths are on your side. Might be able to use crossbow too.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Dr. Carwash posted:

Why does Steam say Wild Hunt is uninstalled? It says I have to install the entire thing again, but it's still on my computer......what......

Edit: And yet the game launches from the .exe :confused:

This exact thing happened to me with Dota 2 a few days ago. Just hit install and Steam will detect your existing files and not download anything. Unfortunately you need to first have enough free space on your disk to download the entire thing (it allocates the space before checking for existing files), I had to move some stuff around to my secondary drive temporarily to make the space.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Brackhar posted:

If you have to fight multiple drowners, get them all to lunge at you, use the short dodge to get out of the way of each, then slice up the closest ones back before their pounce routine starts again. They're very susceptible to Igni and Aard will give you the time to get an attack in after their lunges.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Solartide posted:

Drowners are the hardest enemies in the game.

Oh, so it's specifically an issue with them as opposed to something I need to do differently when playing on the hardest difficulty?

Dominoes posted:

Keeping a quen up and being very fareful with the fights seems like the best way. And bees nests if you see them.

How do you interact with bee nests? I just get this symbol of a broken glove when I get next to them and can't interact.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I'm not 100% on how it all works, but I know that in at least one of my quests Forefather's Eve if you do the quest and burn the Pellar's father you get a regional discount for a lot of the stores in Velen.

I'm really sorry to say this Comte, but that quest was a little disappointing to me. It seemed somewhat poorly paced. You have that big cool fight in the stone circle with the chanting and the summoning of ghosts and it really seems like it's going somewhere crazy, then it just sorta stops and you get effectively a fetchquest from the Pellar to go burn his dad's body. Would've been way cooler and more interesting to have a choice to have that confrontation out in the open or something equally nuts, a unique wraith, something. It just felt like it ended on a wet fart.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Dominoes posted:

Keeping a quen up and being very fareful with the fights seems like the best way. And bees nests if you see them.

Wait, how do I interact with bees nests without just getting stung to poo poo?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
What the gently caress is up with the new patch? My fps dropped from 50-60 to 17-20 at most, GTX 970.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Slanderer posted:

Wait, how do I interact with bees nests without just getting stung to poo poo?

Use igni, collect honeycombs after they drop off the trees.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Orv posted:

Most of the area north of the Pontar is filled by the six or so message boards in Novigrad. Also message boards refill fairly quickly with new PoIs every couple of days.

Oh so the boards actually add quests/POIs if you return to them and not just fluff?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Verranicus posted:

Oh so the boards actually add quests/POIs if you return to them and not just fluff?

Most of the fluff notices add a question mark, yeah.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad my bath towel has an armor rating of 2.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The answer to both Drowners and bee hives is Igni.

Actually, I'm a little grumpy about Igni and drowners. It was so critical to me surviving that I put 5 points into the armor-stripping skill and I'm not seeing much of a benefit that I wouldn't see from the +quick attack damage or something.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Please help, I can't play the game anymore. The patch has totally destroyed my framerate for whatever reason and I have no idea what is happening.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
Tech question - my framerate was fine yesterday and I'm worried I'll be one of the people who the patch fucks over. Can I somehow force it not to install?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

How do you make money? I feel like I'm always poor.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I feel like my framerate went down a bit as well with the new patch, but the game is still playable and only just dips below 60 every now and then.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

Apologies if this has been asked before, this thread is moving fast. Anyone else have no audio in the cinematic scenes but all the other audio works fine?

Ferret posted:

I know this is from ages ago, but the game appears to have a botched 5.1 sound implementation. Change your console/PC sound settings to Stereo and it should clear up.

Also, you could try doing this.

Game is awesome with surround.

stanislaus
Aug 5, 2008
Anecdotally the patch actually fixed the framerate problems I've been having. Perfect 60 with everything maxed except for foliage distance and hairworks, gtx 970 and i3570k @ 4.2.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I managed to fix my game but I had to reinstall my graphics driver and restart my pc. Really weird issue.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does Letho show up only if you import a witcher 2 save, or is it part of the default game if you aren't importing?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Anae posted:

Tech question - my framerate was fine yesterday and I'm worried I'll be one of the people who the patch fucks over. Can I somehow force it not to install?

Open GoG galxy, open Witcher 3 page, open configure, checkmark disable automatic updates. You can also disable dlc this way, it appears.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
For people on 1.03 with lower framerate than they had on 1.02, I'm guessing this particular patch note maybe at fault?

Boosted texture anisotropy sampling to 16x on Ultra preset

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does Letho show up only if you import a witcher 2 save, or is it part of the default game if you aren't importing?

Dunno, but if you're not importing, it's one of the options that comes up when you're simulating a Witcher 2 save.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Pick simulated world state, it's one of the major decisions you get to pick alongside fragging or not fragging Sile.

OatBoy
Nov 18, 2004

What can I say, it's my nature
So on the PC, in Gwent, you press X to play the leader card ability right? For some reason this has totally disappeared for me. Am I doing something wrong? I haven't had the option to play the card for the last like 10 games I've played.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Orv posted:

Something worse. The spirit razes Downwhatever and fucks up everything else.

Not certain that feeding a passel of orphans to monsters in order to save the life of a wife beater is a good trade, myself.

Downhollow's more of a blow, I'll grant you, but then they were the people feeding children to monsters in the first place.

Between that and sticking it to the Crones, I'm actually feeling pretty good about letting the death horse do its thing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

Not certain that feeding a passel of orphans to monsters in order to save the life of a wife beater is a good trade, myself.

Downhollow's more of a blow, I'll grant you, but then they were the people feeding children to monsters in the first place.

Between that and sticking it to the Crones, I'm actually feeling pretty good about letting the death horse do its thing.

Welcome to The Continent, where everything's hosed and lives don't matter!

koekje4life
Aug 11, 2013
As of the 1.03 patch I get disgustingly bad performance in fullscreen.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Well, him as well as his wife, who only goes batshit if you side with the Crones, rather than getting turned into a water hag. She's loony but still alive and there's a hint of possible family reconciliation.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Quorum posted:

Well, him as well as his wife, who only goes batshit if you side with the Crones, rather than getting turned into a water hag. She's loony but still alive and there's a hint of possible family reconciliation.

I think if you gave her the choice, Anna would have been happy to die if it meant saving the kids. :shrug:

Maybe I'm just trying convince myself I did the "right" thing.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

The Crones promised to tell me about Ciri, so that tree and those kids were toast. I went back with the Baron later to grab Anna just because I knew I'd be sticking it to The Crones.

That entire questline really reminded me of something from a Hellboy comic. Burying a stillborn child under the threshold to the house to make it a benevolent spirit, the trail of treats, Johnny losing his voice in a harpies nest, the tree and the werewolf, the price for the Crones protection :gonk: and then finally meeting them!

I seriously loved it, it had so much of the old world to it, which is great 'cos I went to Novigrad right after and it's all underworld tensions and a gold heist, it couldn't be farther removed.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Comte, I found a spelling error in a quest line - during the Griffon Scavenger hunt the Witcher George's confession letter spells "robbing" as "robing". Pretty anal, I know, but I thought I'd bring it up since I noticed it. Fantastic game!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Found a great quest from a quest board in a small town! Seemed boring, but turned super-awesome fast! It probably only exists for certain Witcher 2 world-states though, and it seemed like there were a number of ways to screw it up part-way through.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 21, 2015

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Dominoes posted:

Found a great quest from a quest board in a small town! Seemed boring, but turned super-awesome fast! It probably only exists for certain Witcher 2 world-states though, and it seemed like there were a number of ways to screw it up part-way through.

Do you happen to know the name of the town you found it in?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Where does the gwent tutorial guy go if you refuse to learn it when you first meet him? I didn't want to at first because I heard about the crashed, but now that I'm about to leave the area I want to learn how to play but he isn't in the tavern (and I waited for all times of day).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

For people on 1.03 with lower framerate than they had on 1.02, I'm guessing this particular patch note maybe at fault?

Boosted texture anisotropy sampling to 16x on Ultra preset
That should be extremely cheap and not cause any performance issues, maybe it's weirdly implemented?