Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Trasson posted:

how do i git gud?

Other stuff:
  • Generally, aim to be doing something every turn, whether it's taking an action or moving to your next objective. Try to minimize the turns spent on empty tiles. Volkare will generally force you to go a little faster than a competitive game, and getting the hang of how long you can spend against him is a bit tricky. You probably want to reach the core tiles by the second night at the latest, and if you haven't taken the city by the final night you might as well give up - trying to take Volkare and a city out on a single deck is going to be very rough.
  • Figuring out when you can successfully take on core tiles is difficult and hard to really pin down a proper way to tell without knowing your deck. You just kind of have to learn this by feel, but refer to the token list on the back of the manual often!
  • Taken on their own, the best tactics are probably Planning for daytime and Mana Search for nighttime. Mana Steal and Preparation are also very strong, but you need to have something in mind for it.
  • As a starting character, getting Ranged 6 in your hand (Mana Pull / Swiftness / Swiftness, or Will Focus/Swiftness for Goldyx, and Arythea and Wolfhawk have other options) can reliably kill a dungeon or a monastery without taking any wounds, and is one of the best ways to get an early bump in power. Ranged 5 (Concentrate / Swiftness) has a pretty good chance of winning, just not guaranteed. Similarly, Tovak's Ice Shield is brutally powerful when powered up and should be used on the same sort of locations early on, not on a rando orc.
  • Try to build towards either an Attack/Block deck or a Ranged/Siege deck, and get cards to match. Attack/Block decks like cards that can deny enemies their attacks and that lower enemy attack values. Ranged/Siege absolutely require cards that can remove fortifications and resistances.
  • Keeps may look underwhelming - they don't give you anything for winning - but the increase in hand size is very useful and grows with every keep you take over.
  • Burn the poo poo out of monasteries once you're done with them. A purple enemy with no fortification is generally not that scary and -3 reputation is not nearly as bad as it sounds.
  • Important Skill picks:
    • Arythea - Polarization will prevent you ever getting screwed by the mana source. Healing Ritual is a very powerful heal.
    • Goldyx - Flight can save you up to 8 movement cost in a single stroke, or stop you getting stuck behind a lake. Potion Making is just as powerful a heal.
    • Norowas - Bonds of Loyalty allows you to break some unit rules. Put an illusionist in that spot and you can turn off enemies in tombs and dungeons! I like Leadership more than I do Inspiration, as Block+3 is big and clever.
    • Tovak - Resistance Break will scale well far into the game and can be surprisingly useful. Ditto Shield Mastery for the level of elemental block it gives you.
    • Wolfhawk - Know Your Prey is one I really like, strip away a resistance or turn off a dangerous ability. Wolf's Howl allows a sideways card to count as +4 - this is good enough on its own, without the bonus for missing units.
    • Krang - Battle Frenzy is a whole lot of recoverable attack. Puppet Master is weird but effective. Arcane Disguise allows you to completely ignore your reputation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Honestly, to my disinterested-third-party ears it sounds like the fellow is basically an extremely competitive player and doesn't fit in with your group's mindset or playing style & game choices. He must win and if he can't win, he will spoil (keep others from winning). It happens.

He'd probably fit right in to cut-throat Dominion, Magic, that Netrunner thing the kids are into, etc.

It's not usually easy to un-invite someone from a group. It's none of my business but for what it's worth I have been in a similar situation and I was OK with doing it, because I knew the guy wasn't happy.

I wish you good luck with game time becoming fun again.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

FISHMANPET posted:

I played Resistance once in the past and I didn't really mind it because it was a light fun game. Playing it with this guy who has to deduce with 100% certainty every round what everyone is. And I don't think that's always possible. And so it ends with "well if he does this then he's blank but he knows i'll think that so he must be a blank but he knows i know he knows so he's..."

Maybe Resistance is 100% "solvable" but if that's the case I don't want to play it.

If you get forced playing it again, get the rest of the group to force a timer to prevent the guy from trying to game it. Hell, that's probably good advice in general when you play with this guy. Worst that happens is he rage-quits the group or throws tantrums until everyone else in the group can't stand his poo poo anymore and leave.

Scyther posted:

Mercilessly cull your gaming group and social circle at every opportunity. Don't waste your time trying to change people because they never will and there is an endless supply of other people, lots of whom are not poo poo.

After several years of board gaming with close friends, the couple that hosted for us decided to do a Meetup group to get some fresh blood and new people. After doing this for a couple months, they handed over hosting duties due to "renovations" while secretly inviting a dozen people that were pretty good people to chill and play board games with to continue gaming. Worked out fantastic, and they're still coming over a year later.

The quote sounds harsh and kinda goony but it's also pretty drat accurate.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I play occasionally with some super competitive people that are also not really in the same weight class as the rest of us (e: we're super heavy weight bad asses, obviously :smug:) and it usually goes over better if we play multiplayer solitaire or co-op

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 21, 2015

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Following "Bottom Liner" post I decided to see how many games I own. Sadly there are some misses and some that have gone unplayed as of yet.

Andean Abyss (unplayed)
Android Netrunner + expansions
Boss Monster (gift unplayed)
Castles of Burgundy
Chess
Cranium
Copper County (unplayed)
Descent 2nd edition
Dominion + expansions
Dominos
Eclipse + expansions
Euphoria
Go
Lagoon land of the Druids
Love Letter
Old maid
Ogre 2.95 version (unplayed)
Pandemic +expansions
Province (unplayed)
Ticket to Ride
Tiny Epic Kingdom
Thunderbolt Apache Leader
Quiddler
Resistance
Scabble
Smallworld
Star Realms
Tokaido Collectors edition (one day)
Yahtzee
7wonders

Despite knowing I won't get them to table very often I also want to own.

Commands and Colors
Unconditional Surrender
Dungeon Petz
Keyflower
Mage Knight

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If you ever want to sell your Pandemic expansions let me know :)

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
How is the Mage Knight Krang character?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

sonatinas posted:

How is the Mage Knight Krang character?

He's pretty interesting. His theme is that he can recover skills by doing things to flip them back over again, be it resting or recovering mana. His unique cards are an improved version of intimidate and a movement that discards cards to generate crystals for each tile you land on.

I think he's worth buying but I also think the icons on his tiles are bullshit and really hard to parse compared to the main game characters.

See also:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The one time i got to play as Krang i got Master of Chaos and got really excited since there's a lot of good stuff on there! Then as the game went on i kept forgetting to move it along after every turn or the ability i'd have woulden't do me any good at the time.

I"d much rather have Puppet Master or Arcane Disguise tbh, what exactly is the timing on Puppet Master? Just whenever you beat sombody?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I"d much rather have Puppet Master or Arcane Disguise tbh, what exactly is the timing on Puppet Master? Just whenever you beat sombody?

What do you mean by timing? I assume you get the attack/block value whenever you discard it during the attack/block phase of combat.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
I've played a few more games of Evolution. There's something about it that just doesn't feel right. The last two games I've played I've not drawn a Carnivore card or an Intelligence card and I can't seem to keep up with people who draw great combos. I am thinking there might be too much of a luck element, at least with the current setup. The way I've been playing is always with 6 people and taking simultaneous turns. I'd like to change this in the future, maybe only play 4 people, and try taking one turn at a time and see how it plays out. I'm thinking the 6 player count might not really be well supported by the cards, making it a lot more luck based. I still like it, I just feel a bit frustrated.

bobvonunheil posted:

Does anyone have anything to say about Alchemists? It seems to be climbing the ranks on BGG and of course we all love CGE but I'd be interested if anyone here has given it a shot.

I've only played it twice and I have a bit of a higher opinion of it than others seem to have posted. I'm not quite sure what it is, it just feels really satisfying to solve the thing. At the same time, though, you can do really well if you bluff with a bit of knowledge and get in early with publishing. I can see the complaints some had coming up in the future but so far I'd love to play it some more.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
March of the Ants is pretty fun :)

simonwolf
Oct 29, 2011

Mister Sinewave posted:

March of the Ants is pretty fun :)

I've broken out my kickstartered copy a few times now and had a good time with it each time, yeah! Mostly two players, but I played once with five players and it still seemed to scale well, which is a bonus.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

Ropes4u posted:

Despite knowing I won't get them to table very often I also want to own.
Unconditional Surrender

Go for it imo, you can always solitaire it. It's really easy to learn considering its scale. The naval rules are a bit harder to grasp but you can always start with the scenarios that don't involve them.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

simonwolf posted:

I've broken out my kickstartered copy a few times now and had a good time with it each time, yeah! Mostly two players, but I played once with five players and it still seemed to scale well, which is a bonus.

We played 4 players, it went great - short and dense, too.

I grasped the rules readily but it was kind of clunky getting it taught, I believe mainly due to the procedurally simple but slightly unconventional reaction actions. I think next time I'll really try to just process one phase at a time, not explaining anything that isn't directly related to the action. Then Q&A any connections players haven't made on their own between the different working bits after one round.

Games with interdependent design elements that play off one another are always a challenge to get across to Players That Need To Fully Grasp Everything At Once when they learn because they want to go down every branch of possibility simultaneously when learning and that just gets :psyduck: real fast.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

EvilChameleon posted:

I've played a few more games of Evolution. There's something about it that just doesn't feel right. The last two games I've played I've not drawn a Carnivore card or an Intelligence card and I can't seem to keep up with people who draw great combos. I am thinking there might be too much of a luck element, at least with the current setup.

If you're forced into herbivores, start a Body Mass arms race. The carnivores will generally go for easier targets rather than spend cards to overtake you, and if they do end up going for you it takes less of your population to feed them.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Jedit posted:

If you're forced into herbivores, start a Body Mass arms race. The carnivores will generally go for easier targets rather than spend cards to overtake you, and if they do end up going for you it takes less of your population to feed them.

The ultimate goon strategy.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007
It seems absolutely nowhere in England has Tragedy Looper. Does anyone know if a reprint is expected any time soon?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Heisenberg1276 posted:

It seems absolutely nowhere in England has Tragedy Looper. Does anyone know if a reprint is expected any time soon?

I heard the expansion should be at Gencon (source?), so they may do a reprint around the same time.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
I wish a retheme would come out, it sounds like a great game but sadly I'm allergic to anime.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Tragedy Looper is a case where you just gotta get over yourself. It's not Tanto Cuore.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah I havent played it yet but it doesn't look like something I'd be embarrased to own, even if its not to my taste.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Anime is my zombies/steampunk but even I bought Tragedy Looper (because I am genuinely interested in how games that try something different do things)

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
The only moderately bothersome anime characteristic in Tragedy Looper is that you need to check the keywords on the card to know whether a character is male or female, and it only matters mechanically in a very small number of circumstances.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Finally got to play a 3-player and 6-player game of Scoville the other day, I was amazed in particular at how fast the 6-player game went and how competitive each game was. The breeding system is very intuitive and makes sense to newer people (ex. red + yellow = orange)

Needs a few more pepper tokens (like 5 of each) but I just use the pepper cutouts and it's not gamebreaking.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah, 6p Scoville is ridiculously fast, mostly because of how few Market cards there are.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Poopy Palpy posted:

The only moderately bothersome anime characteristic in Tragedy Looper is that you need to check the keywords on the card to know whether a character is male or female, and it only matters mechanically in a very small number of circumstances.

I didn't really find that an issue. The adults' genders don't seem to matter anywhere, and the children almost all have their gender in their name ("Mystery Boy", "Rich Man's Daughter", etc). The only character that I've ever needed to check was the Patient, and even then I was more surprised by his lack of the Student keyword than his gender.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Ora et Labora will be reprinted. Zman will do the English version, Lookout will do the German version. Ora is one of my top ten games of all time. Note however that the randomness comes during play, not in the game. The game has no inherently random features, leading to criticism for a lack of replayability. Over 50 plays later I have not found that to be an issue, but of course your mileage may vary.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
A friend has just asked me for opinions about Study in Emerald which I don't know anything about besides Cthulhu+Sherlock Holmes+Gainman. Can anyone give me the short version so I can appear knowledgeable?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Fat Samurai posted:

A friend has just asked me for opinions about Study in Emerald which I don't know anything about besides Cthulhu+Sherlock Holmes+Gainman. Can anyone give me the short version so I can appear knowledgeable?

Short version: it's awful

Long version: my wife, while playing, had exactly one person in the game say he kinda sorta liked it, and the owner immediately turned to him and asked "Would you like to buy it right now?"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lorini posted:

Ora et Labora will be reprinted. Zman will do the English version, Lookout will do the German version. Ora is one of my top ten games of all time. Note however that the randomness comes during play, not in the game. The game has no inherently random features, leading to criticism for a lack of replayability. Over 50 plays later I have not found that to be an issue, but of course your mileage may vary.

Time to learn to speak German, then. It's that or pay the Z-Man premium.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Lorini posted:

Can you give me a quick rundown and comparison to his other games?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Morholt posted:

Go for it imo, you can always solitaire it. It's really easy to learn considering its scale. The naval rules are a bit harder to grasp but you can always start with the scenarios that don't involve them.

I'm hoping I get it for my birthday on Saturday, but i am guessing my wife took one look at games and said, tie..

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Where in the world do you buy the Tash Kalar reprinted edition, the one with the better components? No store listing I've seen for it says in nice, obvious, helpful letters "THIS IS THE CZECH GAMES REPRINT, AKA THE ONE YOU ACTUALLY WANT."

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
I got a free copy of Vinhos and decided to check out a video for how to play this. Holy poo poo. Is there any way to explain this game in less than 30 minutes? How will I ever get anyone to play this? Anyone have any teaching tips for this beast? Maybe the video I watched was just not very good but it really seems like they decided to put as much as goddam possible into this game.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Where in the world do you buy the Tash Kalar reprinted edition, the one with the better components? No store listing I've seen for it says in nice, obvious, helpful letters "THIS IS THE CZECH GAMES REPRINT, AKA THE ONE YOU ACTUALLY WANT."

If you see one without a Z-Man logo on it, that's the one, assuming you live in the US anyways.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

snuff posted:

I wish a retheme would come out, it sounds like a great game but sadly I'm allergic to anime.

anime is good

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bottom Liner posted:

Can you give me a quick rundown and comparison to his other games?

Here's a couple shortish reviews that I agree with

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/975123/will-it-play-ora-et-labora

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1248777/km3-reviews-ora-et-labora

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
So in idiot kickstarter backer news I backed Mottainai at the deluxe level which is only like $20 and Carl does no wrong so hopefully the loving thing ships on time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Kai Tave posted:

Boardgame Warehouse, Cardhaus, and Cool Stuff all distinguish it as the Czech Games edition.