Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
This is another good book

http://smile.amazon.com/Poor-Mans-Fight-Book-ebook/dp/B00RH1NV4M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432218551&sr=8-1&keywords=poor+man%27s+fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

it's throwback thursday again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG3PnQ3tgzY

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

poo poo can the mazda for scrap
That's a 73-74 rx4. Restored, they go for $20k in Australia, and they aren't much more common in the USA.
If he wants to get rid of it, advertise it in the Puerto Rico* version of CL or some poo poo.

*Puerto Rico loves and values mazda rxs as much as Australia it seems.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 21, 2015

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
i dunno about you but i sure as poo poo wouldn't pay shipping on a $20k car i found on craigslist.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
That's not what I said. I said a restored one here in Aussie land is worth $20k.
Someone saying to scrap it is clueless.
He could get some decent money for it if it was advertised as is, because Puerto Ricans buy all the mazdas from the mainland and ship it themselves over there. Seriously, google that poo poo, they are mad for mazdas and rotaries, same as they are worth so much in Australia and NZ for a weird reason.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 21, 2015

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

RichieHimself posted:

The Gaunt's Ghosts series by Dan Abnett is good stuff. 40k in general is heavily focused on genetically engineered giants cruising around in armored suits cracking skulls and loving poo poo up on the reg. Abnett writes about the Imperial Guard in this series who are regular people conscripted in huge numbers and thrown at various enemies. They often participate in massive battles and die quickly and in obscene numbers.

I got five books in before school reading sapped my time so I can't speak for the entire fourteen book series, and the books have some small flaws and boring parts, but overall they're very entertaining and worth checking out.

I enjoyed the whole series of what's out so far. With 40k, stick to Dan Abnett and Aaron Demski-Bowden and you'll be okay. The other authors range from "okay" to "I wouldn't wipe my rear end with this for fear of contamination."

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Mike-o posted:

when the hell did having a gut become sexy? i know i'm getting old because i didn't even know this was a thing.

It's new. My girlfriend told me to stop doing crunches because she likes a little pooch. Seems like girls under 26 nowadays want to gently caress middle aged men. Just go with it

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I'm glad to see that all the effort I put into not working out over the past year is finally starting to pay off.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Booblord Zagats posted:

It's new. My girlfriend told me to stop doing crunches because she likes a little pooch. Seems like girls under 26 nowadays want to gently caress middle aged men. Just go with it

It's like America as a culture has collectively lowered its standards because it knows that ain't nobody working out.

Not like I care, it just keeps getting easier and easier for me and my wife to look loving awesome in comparison.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's like America as a culture has collectively lowered its standards because it knows that ain't nobody working out.

Not like I care, it just keeps getting easier and easier for me and my wife to look loving awesome in comparison.

I just told her I'd just stop shaving my happy trail as a compromise. My greatest fear is getting fat because I know at 31 it will only get harder to lose weight from here on out

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Booblord Zagats posted:

Between this and yoga pants I think maybe I actually died in Iraq.

Everything is cool and good.

edit: I also blew 4k on a new laptop for editing and a RAID soooo I'm winning at something.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

All this chat about sci-fi books and no mention of A Canticle for Leibowitz? I'm ashamed of you. It should be the thread's favorite book.

It involves not one collapse of civilization from nukes, but two!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MA-Horus posted:

All this chat about sci-fi books and no mention of A Canticle for Leibowitz? I'm ashamed of you. It should be the thread's favorite book.

It involves not one collapse of civilization from nukes, but two!

It also has the benefit of being actually good quality writing like a book you wouldn't be ashamed to use for a college class.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Had to read William Gibson for class. I don't like that cyberpunk bullshit.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
is it because you like steampunk more?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

elite_garbage_man posted:

is it because you like steampunk more?

Not even.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I didn't enjoy the William Gibson stuff I read. However, the Takeshi Kovacs series by Richard K. Morgan is some pretty good cyberpunk.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

The Rat posted:

I didn't enjoy the William Gibson stuff I read. However, the Takeshi Kovacs series by Richard K. Morgan is some pretty good cyberpunk.

Morgan is good. His fantasy series is supposedly very good.

Joe Abercrombie writes loving awesome fantasy. All of his characters are fun degenerates.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Truth, Abercrombie is amazing.

If anyone is into Lovecraftian kind of stuff, Laird Barron is the only other author who put chills up my spine in the same way Lovecraft did.

Charles Stross's Laundry series is pretty good in that regard as well.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Lookit this illiterate scrub.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
just lashing out cuz my kindle broke

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Helldump Immunity. posted:

Upgrade to a Paperwhite.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Helldump Immunity. posted:

Hey, I hear they now make books that don't require batteries or anything! Yeah, they just print them onto a whole bunch of paper and stick those papers together in one neat little stack. How crazy is that?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Hey, I hear they now make books that don't require batteries or anything! Yeah, they just print them onto a whole bunch of paper and stick those papers together in one neat little stack. How crazy is that?

I tried to get one of those once and the monks got pissy when I tried to saw off the chain holding down the book.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
I liked most Larry Niven's Ringworld series and even though it's more along the lines of fantasy Roger Zelazny's Amber series is great.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Two Finger posted:

human being seriouspost incoming

the haka traditionally is a challenge
basically saying COME THE gently caress ON I WILL gently caress YOU UP
in this particular context it's honouring your mate, much in the sense of 'i am giving my best but you gave everything'
if you want to read some insane poo poo read about the maori battalion in ww1/2 or charles upham (kiwi, only living man to win the vc TWICE) or willie apiata (most recent VC recipient)

no joke nz is a tiny loving country but our military is loving insanely good particularly our SAS

Here I thought it was meant to scare off evil spirits or something.

Re: bookchat

Ever since someone in here talked about 40K books a couple of weeks ago, I've worked my way through a Blood Angels arc, an Iron Hands book and a collection of three Grey Knights books in one just came in 2 days ago, poo poo owns. Tech priests own. Inquisitors own. Praying to the machine spirit of anything with moving parts owns.

Other things that own

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Hey, I found a cool website:

[url]http://卐.com[/url]

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Trying to take back the swastika? Good luck with that anywhere outside of Asia.

Someone mentioned Culture novels.

I just finished The Hydrogen Sonata and it was very enjoyable. Showed off what I think Banks (RIP :( ) did best -- dialog and exploring the inner workings and politicking of the Minds.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 21, 2015

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Spicy Guacamole posted:

sounds gay

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Someone mentioned Culture novels.

I just finished The Hydrogen Sonata and it was very enjoyable. Showed off what I think Banks (RIP :( ) did best -- dialog and exploring the inner workings and politicking of the Minds.

I've only read Consider Pheblas. It was very Mass Effect-y but better in every conceivable way.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

holocaust bloopers posted:

Had to read William Gibson for class. I don't like that cyberpunk bullshit.
That's a shame, because he's a really fantastic novelist. He did a trilogy of present day books you could try. Pattern Recognition is slow as hell, but Spook Country and Zero History were great, and you don't need to read PR first to appreciate them.

The Rat posted:

Charles Stross's Laundry series is pretty good in that regard as well.
Stross has cool ideas, but his characters usually somewhere on the insufferable-unbelievable-boring Venn diagram, Bob Howard chief among them. Reading the Laundry series makes me wish it was written by a better author.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hahaha yeah, I'm not scrapping the RX4; as of 2008 there were only 67 of them registered in the US across all bodystyles. The Mazda is going into storage to save it from the winters around here; meanwhile, buying a Ford that for a time was second in total sales only to the Model T as a beater sounds like a great idea, seeing as how there's still so goddamned many of them left.

Edit:also the Galaxie is "rust-free" in the Midwestern Craigslist sense, which means the pics next to "rust free" have obvious surface rust/body rot on multiple panels

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 21, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Dead Reckoning posted:

That's a shame, because he's a really fantastic novelist. He did a trilogy of present day books you could try. Pattern Recognition is slow as hell, but Spook Country and Zero History were great, and you don't need to read PR first to appreciate them.

Well I've just read Neuromancer, which was a loving slog to get through. I have The Peripheral on my kindle. It'll be some time before I get to it, if at all.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Move chat: my lease is up just as I graduate. I'm looking into other cities to move. Anyone here from Raleigh?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

Move chat: my lease is up just as I graduate. I'm looking into other cities to move. Anyone here from Raleigh?

I live in Wilmington, Zeris lives in Charlotte, and I think Carteret lives somewhere near New Bern/Beaufort. Here's a better place for any NC questions though:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032525&pagenumber=182#lastpost

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Cost of living is much, much lower than Chicago, which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Watching Chappie again and I wasn't very vocal after seeing it in the theater for whatever reasons, but...it sucked.

If they'd cut it down to like 80-90 minutes tops, it'd be pretty watchable. That Afrikaaner-druglord owned hard and the shootout with Jackman's giant, fuckoff mech owned as well, but Neil Bloemkamp needs to start JUST having ideas and leaving the entire writing/screenplay to folks that know their job. I knew I wasn't walking into the greatest of action movies, but outside of the action scenes, it was basically Die Antwoort: Der Homemoowie.

From articles during filming and leading up to the movie release, I got the impression that people on set were legitimately terrified of Ninja being completely insane and that Bloemkamp was trying to cut him out of the movie as much as possible and then the two are basically the protagonists of the movie, ahead even of Chappie. I almost got the impression that they were holding Bloemkamp hostage throughout the filming, what with like an entire album's worth of their songs IN the movie as well as the entirety of their "signature" wardrobe and "ZEF" (whatever the gently caress that means) being airbrushed/sprayed onto something in basically every single scene.

The animation of the robot was loving amazing though and the movie world needs more Afrikaans-speaking villains (that aren't Die Antwoord)

• Locked thread