Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, I don't see how it would. They stress like 5 times that they're going out of their way to not make any direct profit off DBZ Abridged (including clearing their shirts with lawyers), and other people have done Patreons for similar stuff just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I mean, I don't see how it would. They stress like 5 times that they're going out of their way to not make any direct profit off DBZ Abridged (including clearing their shirts with lawyers), and other people have done Patreons for similar stuff just fine.

There's also the fact that (isit Toei or Fundimation), knows who they are so at worst they'd probably get an email saying they can't do that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Funimation definitely knows who they are and don't care. Toei might (esp. given the Chroma Squad fiasco) but I think that'd require action from Funi first.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Covok posted:

They did, but they finally made their official video for it so they are getting a flood of users.

Still hoping this doesn't end up being their undoing.

Other people have covered the legal front, I'll mention that it looks like nothing on their Patreon is promising a certian amount of new content. That's where I see a lot of them go wrong; creators promise "give us this much and I'll put out X extra videos per month!" and then can't manage the increased workload.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Well, that's good. I know Funi is on their side, it's Toei that I worry about because of, well as someone brought up, a few prior incidents. But, yeah, hopefully, saying again and again that this is not them profiting from DBZ:A works out.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm pretty sure Toei only did anything about Chroma Squad because Saban sounded the alarm, so Funi being okay with TFS should put them in the clear.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Funimation definitely knows who they are and don't care. Toei might (esp. given the Chroma Squad fiasco) but I think that'd require action from Funi first.

Besides, Abridged probably got some additional sales that probably wouldn't had happened. I ended up buying the series since Abridged and Xenoverse got me back into the series again.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I for one welcome the prospect of TFS having more money to make their videos with spend on hookers and blow

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Their Paetron is over 9000!

...I hate myself.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Yep DBZA got me back into DBZ and that led to me giving my money to corporate attitude guys when Xenoverse came out, making it the first AAA game I didn't buy used or on discount since like...Wind Waker? Sheeeeeit.

I've watched some con panel videos on YouTube and neither Sean Schemmel nor Sonny Strait will say a peep about DBZA (if they get a question about it they immediately change the subject) but Chris Sabat seems to love complimenting Team Fourstar. I wonder what the difference is? Sabat is high enough on the food chain to get away with it?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
DBZA also got me back into DBZ, and it also helped me introduce someone else to the show and now they're a big fan.

Right now I'm even working on a goofy, DBZA-inspired tabletop game. Dice rolling and screaming, basically. I'm hoping to have a playable version in the next month or so and see if the TFS guys want to give it a go.

I'll also link it here, in case anyone wants to go full-on turbonerd. Like me.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Fuego Fish posted:

DBZA also got me back into DBZ, and it also helped me introduce someone else to the show and now they're a big fan.

Right now I'm even working on a goofy, DBZA-inspired tabletop game. Dice rolling and screaming, basically. I'm hoping to have a playable version in the next month or so and see if the TFS guys want to give it a go.

I'll also link it here, in case anyone wants to go full-on turbonerd. Like me.

YES. And crosspost to trigames for good measure.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Xibanya posted:

I've watched some con panel videos on YouTube and neither Sean Schemmel nor Sonny Strait will say a peep about DBZA (if they get a question about it they immediately change the subject) but Chris Sabat seems to love complimenting Team Fourstar. I wonder what the difference is? Sabat is high enough on the food chain to get away with it?

Chris Cason (dub Popo) loves the hell out of Abridged and will do the Pecking Order routine if you ask nice.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Xibanya posted:

YES. And crosspost to trigames for good measure.

You mean tradgames?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Fuego Fish posted:

You mean tradgames?

Triadgames. :toughguy:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

AlternateNu posted:

Triadgames. :toughguy:

If this is an actual thing I am completely unaware of what it is.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fuego Fish posted:

If this is an actual thing I am completely unaware of what it is.

It involves a shitload of drugs. And sometimes someone gets their face cut off.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The starting exchange between the dude from TFS and Chris Sabat is both pretty hilarious and enough proof that the dub/funi side is cool enough with them to not intervene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j2mBle5_JM

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Much like FuegoFish I too have been working on tabletop game stuff. I've expanded my DBZ races since last time I posted them here and made a DBZ Inspired class named the Shounen, all for 13th Age. I'll also have a setting writeup with icons eventually. For now here's a link to the races and the class.

13th Age Z

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

-Fish- posted:

Much like FuegoFish I too have been working on tabletop game stuff. I've expanded my DBZ races since last time I posted them here and made a DBZ Inspired class named the Shounen, all for 13th Age. I'll also have a setting writeup with icons eventually. For now here's a link to the races and the class.

13th Age Z

That is so cool and nerdy. I love it. :allears:

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

I CONJURE THIS INTREPID FANTASYSCAPE WITH TEARS BLED FROM THE WISDOM-WEARY EYES OF FIFTY THOUSAND IMAGINARY MAGICIANS

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Funimation loving hired one of them to do VO work for Xenoverse. To be honest if I were a casting director at Funi I'd want all of their phone numbers in my rolodex

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Captain Q posted:

Funimation loving hired one of them to do VO work for Xenoverse. To be honest if I were a casting director at Funi I'd want all of their phone numbers in my rolodex

And let the whole team rewrite the scripted dialogue on the fly during the recording session, no less.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Funi probably realized that DBZA is p much free advertising for them.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dexo posted:

Funi probably realized that DBZA is p much free advertising for them.

That and the series itself has basically reached peak saturation. I'm sure they're still getting some decent returns from box sets but they've been trying to revitalize the brand for a reason.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Teamfourstar has reached their $10,000 goal. Guess they have to do the studio thing now.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I found a copy of Tenkaichi Budokai 3 today while I was out for $30 (which is way better then $75 price Half Price Books wants), with the only negative is the game being in a generic case. Game is pretty cool so far, but oh man is the menu is just everyone yelling at you anytime you move the cursor.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Captain Q posted:

Isn't Sabat the ADR director? I know he at least has gotten a text form Lani when he beat one of his characters in a game. That and he at least gets in contact with them for little cameos here and there.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

BMB5150 posted:

Isn't Sabat the ADR director? I know he at least has gotten a text form Lani when he beat one of his characters in a game. That and he at least gets in contact with them for little cameos here and there.

Sabat had a cameo in the Bardock special and Kyle Hebert was Santa in Tree of Might.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Rirse posted:

I found a copy of Tenkaichi Budokai 3 today while I was out for $30 (which is way better then $75 price Half Price Books wants), with the only negative is the game being in a generic case. Game is pretty cool so far, but oh man is the menu is just everyone yelling at you anytime you move the cursor.

Let the game idle for a while in the duel mode screen (the one with Nappa and Vegeta) for some amusing dialogue.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lanipator and Kaiser both moved to texas, I'm p sure. I think they were also hired for some bit roles in Funi stuff, so don't be surprised if you see them as full time vas after a certain point.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Beef Waifu posted:

Lanipator and Kaiser both moved to texas, I'm p sure. I think they were also hired for some bit roles in Funi stuff, so don't be surprised if you see them as full time vas after a certain point.

Oh god they're gonna get roles in Super aren't they.

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

I CONJURE THIS INTREPID FANTASYSCAPE WITH TEARS BLED FROM THE WISDOM-WEARY EYES OF FIFTY THOUSAND IMAGINARY MAGICIANS
Adult Goten and Trunks???

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Captain Q posted:

Adult Goten and Trunks???

Trunks will awkwardly say "Guys?" in every single episode he appears in.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Raxivace posted:

Trunks will awkwardly say "Guys?" in every single episode he appears in.

And then shout "HEY!" whenever someone talks to him.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

StrifeHira posted:

And then shout "HEY!" whenever someone talks to him.

While sounding nothing like himself while doing so.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Some Numbers posted:

Sabat had a cameo in the Bardock special and Kyle Hebert was Santa in Tree of Might.
Also as Abraham Van Helsing in the flashback for one of the Hellsing Ultimate Abridged episodes

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
After watching the Android 13 and first Broly movie, I just find it hilarious how random Piccolo can show up in the movies.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rirse posted:

After watching the Android 13 and first Broly movie, I just find it hilarious how random Piccolo can show up in the movies.

Every movie must have Piccolo getting an awesome heroic moment. It's tradition.

It also must have Krillin getting beaten up, that's a far less enjoyable tradition. Though the second Broly movie made me laugh in how it used both.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Blaze Dragon posted:

Every movie must have Piccolo getting an awesome heroic moment. It's tradition.

It also must have Krillin getting beaten up, that's a far less enjoyable tradition. Though the second Broly movie made me laugh in how it used both.

I am happy Piccolo finds a way to show up. I am glad him finding a way to appear is going to get even more random in the later movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Rirse posted:

Yeah isn't he like just chilling underneath a sheet of ice or something in Android 13?

• Locked thread