Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well it does seem to have worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Just because you poo poo your pants to get attention doesn't mean your plan didn't work, but it also means your pants smell and you look retarded.

"It got people talking" a cheap way to claim victory out of any circumstance by propping one's self up as a chessmaster when circumstances in this case position them as merely bad storytellers who were likely to make money and generate buzz with almost any shock value they could pump out. They had a massive built-in audience for one of the most popular TV shows of the last decade. As long as they weren't so boring that everyone turned the TV off they could have put up Dany making GBS threads in the field and it still would have gotten people talking.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Probably not.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh ok then.

For the record people rip on GRRM for the exact same poo poo in the books because after Book 3 he stopped writing the Great American Fantasy Series and started trying to write the Great American Fantasy Series which featured all sorts of high-concept "trying to live up to your own reputation" poo poo like Darkstar, Brienne travelling the Westeros countryside to show the plight of the peasants, and introducing several new plot threads with entirely new casts of characters that have only served to muck up the works.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
I just watched The Rock and I noticed something weird I've never seen before. So Nicolas Cage manages to get most of the rockets' guidance chips but there's 2 rockets left. Then Ed Harris fires off a rocket and changes its course midway to splash it into the ocean. This pisses off his men and they mutiny and Ed Harris is asked where the last rocket is before he dies and he tells them it's at the lighthouse.

At this point Nicolas Cage goes and finds this last rocket, and pulls the super duper killer chemical out of it, and then a guy shows up and they have a standoff for a moment before Cage uses the panel to fire the rocket at the guy and knock him off the building onto a pole.

At this point he tries to delicately handle the chemical weapon and remove the guidance chip from it, leading to him almost dropping some of it, pocketing it, and later using it to kill one last guy, almost dying himself in the process.

The thing is.. he fired the rocket to kill the first guy. What good is that guidance chip without a rocket to guide? He didn't need to worry about it at that point.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Tenkaris posted:

I just watched The Rock and I noticed something weird I've never seen before. So Nicolas Cage manages to get most of the rockets' guidance chips but there's 2 rockets left. Then Ed Harris fires off a rocket and changes its course midway to splash it into the ocean. This pisses off his men and they mutiny and Ed Harris is asked where the last rocket is before he dies and he tells them it's at the lighthouse.

At this point Nicolas Cage goes and finds this last rocket, and pulls the super duper killer chemical out of it, and then a guy shows up and they have a standoff for a moment before Cage uses the panel to fire the rocket at the guy and knock him off the building onto a pole.

At this point he tries to delicately handle the chemical weapon and remove the guidance chip from it, leading to him almost dropping some of it, pocketing it, and later using it to kill one last guy, almost dying himself in the process.

The thing is.. he fired the rocket to kill the first guy. What good is that guidance chip without a rocket to guide? He didn't need to worry about it at that point.

They could put it in one of the other rockets that he removed guidance chips from. There were 15 rockets in total.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

Book 3 he stopped writing the Great American Fantasy Series and started trying to write the Great American Fantasy Series

:sigh: Things were going so well

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ElGroucho posted:

:sigh: Things were going so well

Something on your mind chief?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

well, you started posting and that just kinda sends everything down the toilet

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Alouicious posted:

well, you started posting and that just kinda sends everything down the toilet

At least you have the balls to say it to my face. I can respect that.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

WickedHate posted:

I guess I did, actually. I'm not great at paying attention. But yeah, rape, pillaging, that I can clearly understand as "evil as gently caress".

But having not paid attention, all the rest, even "relax we're not really gonna let them go", seems about on par with the other side, who were gonna kill Max if Humongous didn't show up. Even the Gyro Captian was fine with killing Max and stealing all his fuel when until he lost the advantage. Maybe if Max kicked Wez and his boyfriend off their bike and took them hostage, the movie would be about Max, his dog, and his two gay pals. Alliegence in the wasteland seems to work on "whoever is standing closest and is not attacking me right this second".

I agree the good guys aren't any better than the bad guys as long as you ignore the bad things the bad guys do

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I agree the good guys aren't any better than the bad guys as long as you ignore the bad things the bad guys do

I'm not exactly a villian apologist. I have a pretty black and white morality and abhor evil, so it's all the more weirder seeing the good guys be as dickish as the people they're fighting(again, aside from the rape I must not have noticed). It's not like I'm saying the bad guys are the kings of good behavior, the people we're supposed to sympathise with just aren't much better.

WickedHate has a new favorite as of 19:25 on May 21, 2015

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Jesus Christ was Terminator 3 ever horrible.

I can't watch more than 15 minutes of it at a time so I had never before seen the part I'm bringing up. Last night I saw the part where Arnold manages to put his head back on somehow. OK, I can get with that - whatever - but what about the giant, gaping hole where his neck was split open? He screws his head back on like something Bender might do but prior to that he looked like a loving Pez dispenser. For the rest of the movie, his neck wound is just fine.

Also, why does he just keep punching the female terminator and plowing her through walls and poo poo knowing full well it won't work or hurt her one bit? Whole loving movie is just dumb as poo poo.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

WickedHate posted:

I'm not exactly a villian apologist. I have a pretty black and white morality and abhor evil, so it's all the more weirder seeing the good guys be as dickish as the people they're fighting(again, aside from the rape I must not have noticed).

your rapsheet posted:

No. You already did this. There's no point when lolicon is fine, there's no point in time when incest is fine. There's no point in time when your posting is good. Please don't rereg.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

Just how much I liked the first 3 books and how blech the last few have been

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

At least you have the balls to say it to my face. I can respect that.

Was agreeing with you, but since you are being a cry baby fight me irl

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

I can't watch more than 15 minutes of it at a time so I had never before seen the part I'm bringing up. Last night I saw the part where Arnold manages to put his head back on somehow. OK, I can get with that - whatever - but what about the giant, gaping hole where his neck was split open? He screws his head back on like something Bender might do but prior to that he looked like a loving Pez dispenser. For the rest of the movie, his neck wound is just fine.

Also, why does he just keep punching the female terminator and plowing her through walls and poo poo knowing full well it won't work or hurt her one bit? Whole loving movie is just dumb as poo poo.

Terminator 2 was one of my favorite movies growing up. You have no idea how disappointed I was when I tried to watch Terminator 3 and the next thing I knew I woke up and the credits were running.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ElGroucho posted:

Was agreeing with you, but since you are being a cry baby fight me irl

I wonder where on earth I would have gotten the impression you or other random-rear end goons would be inclined to be a dick about my opinions. I ain't in the mood to fight though it's my day off can we like go get Chipotle and chill?

ElGroucho posted:

Just how much I liked the first 3 books and how blech the last few have been

The decline is super-understandable but that doesn't make it any less of a burn. I actually feel more of a sting from those books turning out crap than I did from like the Star Wars Prequels or the Matrix Sequels or any lovely nerd property adaptation because with ASoIaF there was a hot minute where it really did look like a Fantasy equivalent to Tolstoy.

BiggerBoat posted:

I never have understood why Terminator 3 gets so much of a pass in some circles. It ain't like I held the Terminator series in high regard when it came out but even then I knew it was nothing more than a quick cash-in before Arnold got too old... which 15 years later seems even more depressingly funny. Knowing how incredibly high a watermark Terminator 2 set for action blockbusters it feels like even more of a sting.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wickedhate is literally autistic

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
To clarify, I don't have a problem with a story where a conflict is depicted with both sides being, at best, dark gray, I just dislike the story trying to present it as black and white when it's clearly not.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ignite Memories posted:

Terminator 2 was one of my favorite movies growing up. You have no idea how disappointed I was when I tried to watch Terminator 3 and the next thing I knew I woke up and the credits were running.

I like the ending to Terminator 3 because as much as "No Fate" is a nice sentiment it was kind of proven wrong in the first movie.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BiggerBoat posted:

I was shocked how bad it was and really shocked all the more that nobody seemed to be making a fuss over it. It was SO bad.

The other Terminator movie wasn't so bad but after 3 I just can't loving care anymore. :smith: and 1 and 2 are SO SO SO good, its like if Lucas managed to make Episodes I III and III all in a single film. Really hard to geek out over those franchises anymore.

Ahahaha, its like the goon version of Maurey.

We ran a paternity test on your rapsheet...

You ARE the horrible person!

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

muscles like this? posted:

I like the ending to Terminator 3 because as much as "No Fate" is a nice sentiment it was kind of proven wrong in the first movie.

It's been years since I've seen Terminator 3 but that is why I fond memories of it. The ending was ballsy and brought the movies full circle.
I can't say I remember anything else about it other than SkyNet being a computer virus, but that ending sold it. They really did it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The events of the first three novels in ASOIAF were conceived as one long book that was written from 1990 to 2000, which explains the short time between publications (1996, 1998, 2000). The problem is GRRM didn't give much consideration to how the second long book would go. This is just one of many factors as to why the rest of the series fizzles out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aleph Null posted:

It's been years since I've seen Terminator 3 but that is why I fond memories of it. The ending was ballsy and brought the movies full circle.
I can't say I remember anything else about it other than SkyNet being a computer virus, but that ending sold it. They really did it.

Other than the end its a completely terrible movie.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

muscles like this? posted:

Other than the end its a completely terrible movie.

Counterpoint: this deleted scene is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kayFrIR-Qfw

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Patattack posted:

I never noticed the voice of the guy with the remote :aaaaa:

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Jedit posted:

That's not what I said at all - though if you've been paying attention to the show and know why Theon did what he did you really should be sympathising with him to some degree. What I said was that watching the scene is as bad as it is for us the viewers because Theon is there watching. Every other rape on the show has been of the "I want sex and I don't care if you do" variety. But when Theon is made to watch Ramsey raping Sansa, we know that sex is not what Ramsey wants. He's enjoying the power, enjoying making the two of them suffer. That's what makes it bad.

Your exact words were "The painful part of Ramsey and Sansa wasn't the fact of the marital rape. It was that he made Theon watch." Maybe for you that scene was worse than the others because Ramsey was motivated by cruelty and lust instead of just lust, but for me the motivation of the rapist don't really factor into what makes a rape bad.

I have some sympathy for Theon for things that happened before the show, his torture, and the rape scene, but ten times more sympathy for Sansa. Does leaving Theon in there make things worse for everyone (Theon, Sansa, and us) involved? Sure, but saying "the painful part wasn't the rape" and "[Ramsey's] enjoying the power... that's what makes it bad" makes it sound like the rape wouldn't have been that bad without those added layers.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Holy loving poo poo shut up you morons

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Patattack posted:

The fact that the best scene in the movie was cut from the theatrical release tells you everything you need to know about T3.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So to hopefully get away from Sansarapchat....grayscale. it's transmitted by touch, right? Not touch of the infected site, just a touch in general? So if anyone with active grayscale touches anything, like rope, clothes, people, the disease/fungus is passed along. So anyone who goes near the ruins of Valyria should get infected right off, that poo poo has to be on every rock and every drop of water. In short Jorah has it, Tyrion has it, the slavers who met them got it, everyone they come into contact with is loving doomed.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Much the same way GRRM had to actually come out and say that the reason for the impossible seasons in ASoIaF is because of magic and not come crazy elliptical planetary orbit around multiple stars that some astronomy spergs came up with the rules of greyscale are entirely what GRRM and D&D want them to be.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Much the same way GRRM had to actually come out and say that the reason for the impossible seasons in ASoIaF is because of magic and not come crazy elliptical planetary orbit around multiple stars that some astronomy spergs came up with the rules of greyscale are entirely what GRRM and D&D want them to be.

Its magic leprosy crossed with shingles. The implication is that its spread from the infected area - skin to skin, or scabs in clothing/doll. Much like smallopox scabs.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

They constantly do that in the Terminator Universe though. Spray bullets at the bulletproof killbots with regular handguns and rifles - then frantically reload because the next clip might do what the previous 10 clips didn't. In Terminator 1 Sarah even asks future guy if they can kill the killbot and he says no, we need Future Guns. Then he makes some pipe bombs instead. In Terminator Salvation we get to see Future Guns which also spray bullets and look exactly like the guns we have today.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

WickedHate posted:

To clarify, I don't have a problem with a story where a conflict is depicted with both sides being, at best, dark gray, I just dislike the story trying to present it as black and white when it's clearly not.

On one side you have rapists and raiders on the other people whose only crime was refining oil and not immediately handing over all of it to a violent gang. I can clearly see where the moral ambiguity comes in.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Terrible Opinions posted:

On one side you have rapists and raiders on the other people whose only crime was refining oil and not immediately handing over all of it to a violent gang. I can clearly see where the moral ambiguity comes in.

See, if the movie did it's job better, you'd notice the dickish actions of the good guys more, like trying to kill Max for no reason, or Max and the Gyro Captian both trying to kill each other and steal their poo poo just to get each other's stuff.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

WickedHate posted:

See, if the movie did it's job better, you'd notice the dickish actions of the good guys more, like trying to kill Max for no reason, or Max and the Gyro Captian both trying to kill each other and steal their poo poo just to get each other's stuff.

They don't try to kill Max. As for Max and the Gyro Captain, both of them are in the wild and needing resources to survive. Whereas the people in the compound have the luxury of civilization.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

They don't try to kill Max.

They were going to until Humongous came back, even after Max tried saving one of their companions.

As for Max and the Gyro Captain, both of them are in the wild and needing resources to survive. Whereas the people in the compound have the luxury of civilization.

And while not justifying them, that's pretty much the same position the marauders are in. It's silly that the movie acts like Max or the Captain are morally better than the guys acting exactly like they were five minutes ago until the people that nearly mudered Max in cold blood graciously decided to allow them to live when it became convienent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
He's Lord Humungus, not Humongous.