Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
No they just keep getting worse here as well, hence the 94-95 SN95. I'm not a huge fan of the body style at all, but when it takes a few grand off the asking price it makes them a bit more attractive. My preference would definitely be a LX notch. But as you said getting harder to find and more expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

The SN95 is cheaper and has better features and takes nearly all the same bolt on poo poo. For a fox body, you are paying at least 1 to 3k more for a car that is only 4 lug, has a heater core that will explode in the next few months, has all the rubber bushings destroyed instead of mostly destroyed, etc etc.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I teach some kids piano whose father is a geologist in Oil and Gas. I could never understand why they never had real nice things despite being in O&G. Their loving room still had a CRT TV and their vehicles weren't real high end or anything.

Now that he's doing landscaping I completely understand why they live the way they do.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Fox bodies are just stupid expensive, and to get a decent non clapped out example in the midwest is a 10k all day long. I wouldn't mind the next gen model, but you can't cram to much power into those 4.6 units, with out some cash.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Sigma X posted:

Anyone know what these spotted-in-the-wild military-spec vehicles are? I know they're not recent US Army ones.

Looks like some kind of uparmored Land Rover Defender: five bolt wheels and hood/front fender shape. No idea what that variant is, though, neither the Wolf or the SNATCH have a cabin with that shape.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Fox bodies are just stupid expensive, and to get a decent non clapped out example in the midwest is a 10k all day long. I wouldn't mind the next gen model, but you can't cram to much power into those 4.6 units, with out some cash.

You can just rip that turd out and put a Pontiac with twin turbos. Some guy came into my work with one. I would post pictures but that was the first thing the guy said to me before even shaking my hand. He just couldn't stop talking about how his car was supposed to be some big secret. Like people don't twin turbo v8s.....:jerkbag:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

There's a clean bodied, beat to gently caress interior red one for sale locally for the cool asking price of $9500.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BrokenKnucklez posted:

People that go looking for Foxbodies can easily be broken down into two groups of people:
1. Hardcore Mustang enthusiasts that mostly came of age from 1988-1993
2. People with mechanical know how that want to go fast for cheap
3. Performance enthusiasts that are somewhat of a mix of 1 and 2.

For anyone with any halfway decent mechanical skills, my advice for a foxbody is to ALWAYS look for a 4 cylinder and build from there. If you find a V8, it's going to have a couple hundred thousand miles, be thrashed to death, and pretty much anything of consequence is going to need to be replaced. I would recommend it even if you don't have a single tool to your name. They're stupidly easy to work on, parts are plentiful and cheap. They're pretty much the lego toyset of the automotive world. You'd be hard pressed to find a car that would be ideal to learn on. Maybe a Jeep?

Otherwise, break out the checkbook and be prepared to write a check for 10K or more.

Tide fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 21, 2015

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Sigma X posted:

Anyone know what these spotted-in-the-wild military-spec vehicles are? I know they're not recent US Army ones.

Aren't these then Irish armed response things

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Looks decent, I like that they actually give you specs on how many amps you can pull if you need to crank for x seconds instead of just spewing marketing numbers at you that may or may not be inflated 50% from the ones the actual maker of the battery they're rebadging assigned.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The solution to the 4.6 problem is either find a 94-95 5.0, boost the 4.6 until it dies with chinese poo poo, junkyard poo poo, or actual legit stuff until it dies, then/or swap in a vortec.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Before I got my license, 10-11 years ago, I wanted a fox body badly. Around that time you could get a nice one for under 5k. It's probably best that I didn't end up with one. I would have gotten in trouble and possibly ruined it.

Even just three years ago when I was looking for a Fiesta I found a mint 89-90 5.0 GT. Only had done 55k miles, looked brand new, and they wanted $8500.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

for 650 we took this POS:

And turned it into this:

With parts from our old car + an ebay maf. The body panels we needed were probably a 100 dollar junkyard runs worth. 50 dollar paint job.

And it whoops 4.6 cars pretty good with just some tires and a torque arm.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I went to look for a maf housing at the junkyard last weekend. I didnt see any mustangs there, despite seeing a new ad on craigslist every week with someone else totaling their car. Where do they all go? :iiam:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The only Fox Body that should really command a premium is the SVO since it was such a radical departure from what the mustang was.

My Uncle has an early 80s GT with 30,000 km that he refuses to drive because its going to be worth big bucks some day. Meanwhile its rotting away on TRX tires that he can't replace.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Guess I also need a new battery. Second time this week it's been dead after work.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I would pick up a 4 banger, but those are starting to creep into expensive territory as well. Its getting silly.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Yeah the 4 bangers are getting expensive. I hope the ecoboost 2.3 becomes a popular swap engine. A turbo 4 foxbody would be pretty sweet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A friend of my girlfriend drives a 2001 Focus auto and it threw a P0113 CEL. Google says is is this

quote:

P0113 Ford - Intake Air Temperature Sensor Circuit High Input

The Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor is built into mass air flow sensor or in some vehicles mounted to the air filter duct housing. The sensor detects intake air temperature and transmits a signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM).The temperature sensing unit uses a thermistor which is sensitive to the change in temperature. Electrical resistance of the thermistor decreases in response to the temperature rise. The Intake Air Temperature signal is used as an input for various systems in the vehicle.

SHe went to AZ and they said her MAS needed cleaned or replaced. Google also tells me that the IAT is a part of the MAF used in the Focus. I pulled off the old sensor and it has a pretty big crack along the plug flange with wires exposed, the IAT is in there yes? So swapping in a new unit should take care of this CEL?

She's kind of down on her luck so I was going to swap in a new one, how much regret there be if I just buy one from China off of Ebay? Or this one here for $25?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-01-02-03...c2fb9aa&vxp=mtr

Was this sensor used in many other models? I could just run to the JY and look as well.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybZ5nchDm6o

Need For Speed Underground 3 confirmed? Because that certainly has a NFSU vibe to it :neckbeard:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Ever since I've been reading that hiking thread and switching between AI and E/N, I've almost posted transmission poo poo in the Trans megathread about four times now.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Adiabatic posted:

Ever since I've been reading that hiking thread and switching between AI and E/N, I've almost posted transmission poo poo in the Trans megathread about four times now.

Leaving AI is like visiting a zoo. In other words, don't feed the animals.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Adiabatic posted:

Tell them you don't like trans with automated clutches as its a trans trying to be both things at once and not good at either. Post results.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

1500quidporsche posted:

The only Fox Body that should really command a premium is the SVO since it was such a radical departure from what the mustang was.

My Uncle has an early 80s GT with 30,000 km that he refuses to drive because its going to be worth big bucks some day. Meanwhile its rotting away on TRX tires that he can't replace.

They don't at all though and its a shame. I picked up mine for 2300 and it mostly drove home. My uncle has a mint 84 he purchased for ~6k. poo poo I saw a nice 87 Turbo Thunderbird for 3800 on eBay (don't think it sold) and might be picking up a non running bird for 600. I personally think they are cool as hell, but most people have zero clue what it is.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Coredump posted:

Tell them you don't like trans with automated clutches as its a trans trying to be both things at once and not good at either. Post results.

Ask them about lubrication options and the use of epicycloid gearing.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 21, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Guess I also need a new battery. Second time this week it's been dead after work.

Sadly I'm in that club too, just picked one up. At the recommendation of a friend I put the 928 battery on a old 'buzz box' charger yesterday after he towed it home for me. Left it overnight and get home today to find it sprung a leak. Battery acid all over the loving place, at least it just leaked and didn't explode. Third new battery this year :( That should be the last thing for that drat car though. I'll toss it in tomorrow after work and hope everything works properly.

Battery acid tastes pretty loving terrible.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Just wanted to say that Mad Max was pretty good. It probably would have helped if I had remembered anything from the original movies though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

I worked for them back in, oh, 1998-9. Not so bad at first, because I was working the Apple contract. Then Apple built their own call center in Round Rock, and I was moved to Hell Dell. That sucked. At least I got to loaf through the 6 weeks of training aimed at people who've never seen a computer before.

Sounds like we were in the same building at the same time.Small world. :stare:

One of the biggest joys I've ever had was seeing that place close. I don't think they've ever managed to unload the place either, last time I paid any attention it was still empty.

And yeah, the classes were just painful. Days of being taught how to use a call center phone, with cheery lines such as "Aspect is your friend!", followed by teaching to the lowest demoninator, followed by finally getting out to the call center floor and hearing just about everyone say "*shuffles through flowchart* okay, it says here that you need to reset your modem... no, please reset it again"... sir, it says here to reset the modem" and getting yelled at for deviating from the script when I knew drat well the modem was plugged in.

If you think Stream was bad though, I generally deliver to some kind of electronics company a few times a day that has motivational signs everywhere such as "NO TALKING", "NO MOVING IN YOUR SEAT DURING WORK TIME", "DRESS APPROPRIATE", "NO WATCHES", etc along with a small army of guards at the entrance. And you get yelled at (loudly) if you walk into the actual office to do a delivery instead of their lunch room (they have 3 entrances to the building, none marked). From what I"ve dug up, they're a cell phone refurbishment company. I tried to take photos of the signs once, but immediately got yelled at by a guard.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 21, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

1500quidporsche posted:

1993. The first Mustang Cobra, and also the last year of the Fox body. They only made 5000 of them, and one of them was mine, right off the showroom floor.

A quick Google search says that ones in good condition are selling for more than the sticker price on the car when it was new.

mariooncrack posted:

Just wanted to say that Mad Max was pretty good. It probably would have helped if I had remembered anything from the original movies though.

Just saw it. Was awesome, and I don't think it matters if you've seen the earlier movies at all, this one stands alone just fine.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

The Locator posted:

Just saw it. Was awesome, and I don't think it matters if you've seen the earlier movies at all, this one stands alone just fine.
I had only seen the first of the originals. Since seeing Fury Road I've watched the others, don't think watching the previous ones would have explained anything.

Roommates are headed out the door as I type this. Quiet house to myself until whenever they get back Monday night.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Pretty sure the continuity is all sorts of hosed anyway; I mean, he shouldn't be rocking the Interceptor unless its pre-Road Warrior.

And since the Interceptor ends up ten kinds of hosed in Fury Road, it's pretty obvious it isn't pre-Road Warrior

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Professor Bling posted:

Pretty sure the continuity is all sorts of hosed anyway; I mean, he shouldn't be rocking the Interceptor unless its pre-Road Warrior.

And since the Interceptor ends up ten kinds of hosed in Fury Road, it's pretty obvious it isn't pre-Road Warrior

Don't worry, in the dark apocalyptic future, Summit Racing thrives on....

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

T1g4h posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybZ5nchDm6o

Need For Speed Underground 3 confirmed? Because that certainly has a NFSU vibe to it :neckbeard:

Awesome. Forza 2 Horizon has partially satisfied my need for stupid racing games for the time being, but its not quite ridiculous enough to be the same as NFSU.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The important parts of my man cave goodies came today and am NOT happy it will be next week until I can begin putting it all together.

Got another PS4 (first one is in my kid's bedroom), new Sony KDL48w600b 48" TV, TV stand, desk, and a couple of other minor things.

Oh well. Still need to decide which room to put it in (unused bedroom or very likely to ever be used dining room off the kitchen), paint said room, and a couple of other things.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Not quite sure if this counts as a spoiler for Fury Road:

I was really confused at why the little girl kept popping up and haunting Max. Was that someone from an earlier movie?

NFSU2 was one of my favorite games. I can only hope that that the new one is like NFSU....but that means I might have to use origin.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

mariooncrack posted:

Not quite sure if this counts as a spoiler for Fury Road:

I was really confused at why the little girl kept popping up and haunting Max. Was that someone from an earlier movie?

I haven't seen the previous ones yet (hey! Stop throwing oil cans!) But I thought it was pretty obvious that it was someone he cared for that he couldn't save and is now dead. Pretty sure it's his daughter.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The really isn't any strong continuity in Mad Max films. The same actor played two completely different characters who just happen to ride bicycle helicopters in two different films.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

God drat Fury Road was amazing. The 3D was loving flawless and the Doofwagon is probably the coolest thing I've ever seen. Pretty much the only bad thing I can say is that it eventually ended. I'm gonna go ahead and say it, I liked it even more than Road Warrior. And I loved Road Warrior. Best part is, there were only about 5 or 6 other people in the theater when me and my roomie saw it, so it was pretty much the most amazing experience ever :allears:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Bajaha posted:

I haven't seen the previous ones yet (hey! Stop throwing oil cans!) But I thought it was pretty obvious that it was someone he cared for that he couldn't save and is now dead. Pretty sure it's his daughter.

In the original, Max Rockatansky's son ("Sprog") and wife are killed by a group of Australians. The girl in the film is probably intended to be his daughter, considering she calls him "Daddy!"

There is effectively no continuity between any of the Mad Max movies so it doesn't really matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Rhyno posted:

A friend of my girlfriend drives a 2001 Focus auto and it threw a P0113 CEL. Google says is is this

SHe went to AZ and they said her MAS needed cleaned or replaced. Google also tells me that the IAT is a part of the MAF used in the Focus. I pulled off the old sensor and it has a pretty big crack along the plug flange with wires exposed, the IAT is in there yes? So swapping in a new unit should take care of this CEL?

She's kind of down on her luck so I was going to swap in a new one, how much regret there be if I just buy one from China off of Ebay? Or this one here for $25?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-01-02-03...c2fb9aa&vxp=mtr

Was this sensor used in many other models? I could just run to the JY and look as well.

Hope it's the sensor not an issue in the wiring harness. Try the sensor first, a junkyard donor is a good choice if the ebay one is garbage.

Looks like you would want to check continuity on the white wire with a brown stripe from pin 1 of the MAF connector to pin 39 of the PCM connector, and continuity from the brown wire with a white stripe at pin 6 of the MAF connector to the brown wire with no stripe at pin 91 of the PCM connector. One of those (the brown and brown/white wire, it has a splice inside the loom) supplies a reference signal to the sensor, the other is the signal return. If either is broken or the sensor is open circuited and the PCM contains what's known as a "pull-up" resistor on the analog input, it'll see a constant high-limit reading and throw that DTC.

A cheap multimeter or DMM should do the trick nicely if you have one around.

• Locked thread