Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

The Orange Mage posted:

yeah no one's made a Tron mod yet, a big oversight IMO

:v:

Well poo poo, without [ARIS] mods like early death and improved hearse AI, my Hamilton recreation is crumbling after a massive die off. Darn- I'll have to wait until those are patched up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I'm not sure if I like the normal highrise style or European style better. Hopefully someone's working one something to put them together (and let me use the Euro ploppables in both templates, much more stylish than the regular ones).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I am subscribed to the Traffic Tool mod. But since mass deleting my save files, I can't get it to load. I've even uninstalled and re-installed the game. I've also unsubbed and resubbed to the mod. Does anyone have any suggestions? I really liked and used that mod.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
I wanted to mess around with tunnels in the asset editor, but it's acting strangely. When I drop below ground, although I can apparently place roads, I can't see what I'm doing. The ground texture seems to be opaque:

You can see a couple of surface roads on the left there, and on the right you can see that I'm trying to place a road below ground that collides with one I placed earlier. Without the red outlines, though, they're invisible.

Anyone else getting this? I've seen an asset or two on the workshop with tunnels, so apparently some people are able to use them in the editor. What am I doing wrong?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Putting Cities: Skylines and its mods on a solid state hard drive: Good idea. Quite a performance jump from moving it over to my boot drive using a symbolic link.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Poizen Jam posted:

Putting Cities: Skylines and its mods on a solid state hard drive: Good idea. Quite a performance jump from moving it over to my boot drive using a symbolic link.

You don't need to sym link stream anymore. It supports multiple install locations, which is good since windows doesn't seem to really like hard and soft links even though NTFS supports it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Some of my smaller (sub 500mb) Steam game installs live on a network share over gig-e. Load times are impacted slightly but for small games it only adds a few seconds. Usually less than 100mb need to be transferred to get to the loading screen. I'm looking forward to my new PC build this fall, as 256 Samsung SSDs are less than $100 these days and stupid fast.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I'm assuming that the metro is unaffected by the new tunnels stuff? You can't change the height of metro tunnels for example?

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

The patch notes explicitly mention that you can adjust metro tunnel height now so I assume that you can.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Domattee posted:

The patch notes explicitly mention that you can adjust metro tunnel height now so I assume that you can.

Correct, no more intersecting metros if you don't want them to.

What we need now is transfer stations, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

kefkafloyd posted:

Correct, no more intersecting metros if you don't want them to.

Plus you can finally go under the river where you want to.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
This was really all I wanted as an improvement over SC4. Trying to recreate Manhattan and having the LIRR rail lines/BQE on a bridge over the East River destroyed ~my immersion~ so now I can actually run tunnels under the river! Now all I need is a Manhattan map and to learn how to traffic :downs:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I'm in love with Precision Engineering at the moment. Road Protractor was good already but the ease of use and interface additions of the former make it extra nice, especially with it displaying degrees of curvature in highway merges.

Something I just realized is that you can make really nice spiral curves when using the Curved Road-tool instead of the Free-form one. In the cloverleaf below I connected the right-hand turns in 22 by 14 cell components @135°, and the indirect connectors with 7 by 5 cell 90° turns flowing into a minimal 5x5 90° turn. 12 cells is about the maximum length you can use to do an elevation change too, so 7x5 or 8x4 works really well for that.

Another neat trick is getting really tight merges by positioning ramps only 2 cells apart and connecting them to a road that ends precisely between them some 4-8 cells away.

(missed a couple unupgraded two-lane roads :downs:)

Koesj fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 21, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oh rad you can adjust metro heights? Yeah, all we need are CiM1 style cross over stations.

Come on CO, you already imported all your CiM1 buildings, import the metro stations.

And maybe let us build ground and elevated metro too

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Baronjutter posted:

Oh rad you can adjust metro heights? Yeah, all we need are CiM1 style cross over stations.

Come on CO, you already imported all your CiM1 buildings, import the metro stations.

And maybe let us build ground and elevated metro too

Oh my god why don't we have this yet?! Maybe there aren't enough people asking them for it.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

Oh my god why don't we have this yet?! Maybe there aren't enough people asking them for it.

They need to save some stuff for the Paradox DLC spam too :v:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ToastyPotato posted:

It's absolutely not because of not enough people asking about it, there's tons, it's brought up every chance. They just have limited resources and a fairly rigid plan for future improvements and expansions. I'm sure it will come eventually though, I just hope when they do implement them, they do it right. I'm totally fine waiting and paying for good well developed features, not rushed half measures.

And a historical note: those cross-over stations were some of the first DLC for Cities In Motion, I think it was like $5 or something silly.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

It's absolutely not because of not enough people asking about it, there's tons, it's brought up every chance. They just have limited resources and a fairly rigid plan for future improvements and expansions. I'm sure it will come eventually though, I just hope when they do implement them, they do it right. I'm totally fine waiting and paying for good well developed features, not rushed half measures.

And a historical note: those cross-over stations were some of the first DLC for Cities In Motion, I think it was like $5 or something silly.

Does Skylines use a completely different engine from the CiM games? Also, I would legit pay for DLC that added those CiM mass transit options, including elevated metro and rail options. I paid $21 for this game so I am down to pay more if it meant getting way more content sooner.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

So despite the game running perfectly fast at 25 tiles and a billion downloaded buildings they can't possibly allow european buildings to mix?

On the other hand there's people ITT saying their 40,000 citizen city is running like poo poo :shrug:

I get your point but there's a difference between downloading a mod and then your game running like poo poo and your game running like poo poo even in vanilla. I'm sure it'll get figured out though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Moridin920 posted:

On the other hand there's people ITT saying their 40,000 citizen city is running like poo poo :shrug:

I get your point but there's a difference between downloading a mod and then your game running like poo poo and your game running like poo poo even in vanilla. I'm sure it'll get figured out though.

Yeah, I totally understand them actually taking performance into account, but they seem overly conservative/paranoid in this respect rather than just giving people options. I also really really strongly think they're shooting them selves in the foot by not rolling out the euro buildings along with a district based "tileset" system. Not just for the euro buildings but for all buildings. There really needs to be a way for creators and users to tag/filter buildings into sets. The new european buildings would simply be a CO created set, but anyone could go into the asset/tools option, click "tile sets" and be able to create their own named tile sets or edit existing ones.

So imagine you downloaded a bunch of NY style turn of the century towers and want a part of your city to look like that. You'd go into the tile-set creator, select the buildings you want in that tile set (buildings could be in multiple sets) and save. The same goes if you hate a certain building in one of the vanilla tile sets, just take it out, now it won't spawn in that tile set any more. Modders could have their buildings pre-tagged for a tile set but the player could easily change the tags. Then it's as easy as making a district and enabling/disabling certain tile sets. Game running too slow? Upgrade your grandpa's computer or maybe don't enable a million buildings.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Hey game developers, release a free Dlc and be rewarded by endless bitching and sperging!

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Uncle Jam posted:

Hey game developers, release a free Dlc and be rewarded by endless bitching and sperging!

Patches are DLC now? I guess you could technically consider it that, but DLC is usually an optional addon.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Compulsory free DLC

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Uncle Jam posted:

Hey game developers, [do anything, anything at all, literally any action whatsoever] and be rewarded by endless bitching and sperging!

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

ToastyPotato posted:

Does Skylines use a completely different engine from the CiM games? Also, I would legit pay for DLC that added those CiM mass transit options, including elevated metro and rail options. I paid $21 for this game so I am down to pay more if it meant getting way more content sooner.

Baronjutter posted SS from CiM1. CiM1 used a completely different engine.

CiM2 and Skylines share the same engine. I posted some CiM2 metro station screenshots earlier this week in this thread, they're not as pretty.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
It's probably a contractual agreement that they cannot exceed the original specs posted on the game. So until there is an expansion, they cannot give you that option of using districts or just generally increasing system requirements.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Bel Monte posted:

It's probably a contractual agreement that they cannot exceed the original specs posted on the game. So until there is an expansion, they cannot give you that option of using districts or just generally increasing system requirements.

Surely they could've made it an option, not mandatory.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
People will get angry every single time if you release something free or not that they can't use with their system. The bitching would be endless. Not gonna happen. Hopefully theyll release Skylines II with beefier system specs and we can enjoy this stuff.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

necrotic posted:

Surely they could've made it an option, not mandatory.

Not if that built in option goes against the printed specs. An expansion allows them to changed the required specs specifically for that release.

Mandalay posted:

Baronjutter posted SS from CiM1. CiM1 used a completely different engine.

CiM2 and Skylines share the same engine. I posted some CiM2 metro station screenshots earlier this week in this thread, they're not as pretty.

Oh, well that is unfortunate.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

It's a drat impressive game for something 13 people made opportunistically to cash in on SimCity blowing dick. Iteration 2, with a proper dev cycle, could really go either way. I honestly think the success of this game was a huge (serendipitous) accident.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Not if that built in option goes against the printed specs. An expansion allows them to changed the required specs specifically for that release.

They are minimum specs, though, not maximum. Thats why you get graphics options in (most) games, so they can have the minimum settings and then beefy computers can use higher settings.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Efexeye posted:

It's a drat impressive game for something 13 people made opportunistically to cash in on SimCity blowing dick. Iteration 2, with a proper dev cycle, could really go either way. I honestly think the success of this game was a huge (serendipitous) accident.

A sequel would do well to just build off of what they already have, while making adjustments and improvements here and there. The number 1 cause for bad sequels these days are devs starting over from scratch, resulting in missing features and attempts at fixing things that were never broken. Honestly, an expansion pack would go a long way toward making this game a long lived classic, so a proper sequel really would not have to do much.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just hope the coder who made their charmingly broken water simulation moves on to implement non-tile based zoning.

They're obviously pretty good at what they do to create a real time fluid simulation that's more or less realistic, now apply those brains to let me paint zones on the terrain photoshop style and auto-subdivide them to allow buildings to grow.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Efexeye posted:

I think this is iteration 2 actually. CiM2 in retrospect was kind of a beta test of shoehorning Unity into a city game. I have 100+ hours played in both CiM games so I feel confident about this statement.

ToastyPotato posted:

A sequel would do well to just build off of what they already have, while making adjustments and improvements here and there. The number 1 cause for bad sequels these days are devs starting over from scratch, resulting in missing features and attempts at fixing things that were never broken. Honestly, an expansion pack would go a long way toward making this game a long lived classic, so a proper sequel really would not have to do much.
They kind of already did this with CiM1's sequel CiM2. They started from scratch, killed features, and fixed things that were never broken. I can't find the CiM2 thread in archives (because searching the archives is beyond my skill level) but you can find angry posts by Baronjutter in that thread.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mandalay posted:

but you can find angry posts by Baronjutter in that thread.

This goes without saying with anything city related. Angry, angry about cities.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Large industrial zones are so much easier when all the trucks head down into the underground highway.

People are so whiny. Oh no your house is noisy and polluted. Well gently caress you, didn't you see the big oil power plant and garbage facilities across the street when you built your lovely house?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Did noise pollution mechanics get changed at all in the patch? I've got lots of areas complaining about noise far worse than before. Any word on weather or not they'll ever make trees actually slightly reduce noise pollution as per their tool tip?

I also can't seem to find any mod that reduces the noise pollution mechanic or makes residential more resilient to it. Any out there? I'm not really a fan of the mechanic and would rather just mostly do away with it. I live a building down from a busy commercial street and don't hear a peep.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 21, 2015

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Baronjutter posted:

Did noise pollution mechanics get changed at all in the patch? I've got lots of areas complaining about noise far worse than before. Any word on weather or not they'll ever make trees actually slightly reduce noise pollution as per their tool tip?

I also can't seem to find any mod that reduces the noise pollution mechanic or makes residential more resilient to it. Any out there? I'm not really a fan of the mechanic and would rather just mostly do away with it. I live a building down from a busy commercial street and don't hear a peep.

They definitely changed it. Low density residential abutting low density commercial will sometimes bitch about noise, which never happened before.

Noise pollution should slightly reduce land value or something like that. Right now it's tuned way too high.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bold Robot posted:

They definitely changed it. Low density residential abutting low density commercial will sometimes bitch about noise, which never happened before.

Noise pollution should slightly reduce land value or something like that. Right now it's tuned way too high.

It's funny, there's a NIMBY group in my city that hates buses and wants to get the city's port shut down because they say the noise pollution is causing them all to get sick and apparently by their calculations the port is costing millions in health related damages a year from all the horrible stress of the sound of a bus sometimes driving by or a tourist talking. It's like CO read their press releases and modeled the noise pollution system off their reality where a tiny amount of noise causes people to get sick and die early. Noise pollution in skylines actually makes people sick and carted away in an ambulance or they die rather than just impotently complaining that they can sometimes hear things inside their million dollar houses.

Also the water physics system is one thing I won't bitch about in the game. It was a very innovative thing to add to the game and real-time water physics is a huge pain to do, I'm impressed they pulled it off at all. Making it perfect would require the game to basically put all its resources into water physics simulation. Other than maybe flowing a little faster so you don't have to wait forever for changes to equalize I've never run into problems with it and I love fiddling with water in the map editor getting those mountain streams juuuust right.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

xzzy posted:

I just hope the coder who made their charmingly broken water simulation moves on to implement non-tile based zoning.

They're obviously pretty good at what they do to create a real time fluid simulation that's more or less realistic, now apply those brains to let me paint zones on the terrain photoshop style and auto-subdivide them to allow buildings to grow.

The guy who made that took it from his masters work in civil engineering.