Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Two black people got shot by police for stealing a case of beer.

http://www.theolympian.com/2015/05/21/3737619_two-suspected-shoplifters-shot.html?rh=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Luckily they weren't killed. It also sounds like they may have just "met the physical description of the robbers" which means they were unlucky enough to be black in the general area of a crime.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

I mean, they don't exactly do normal police activity like patrolling and investigating, do they?

Actually, as far as I know, they do.

Even the largest departments don't have the resources to keep a few dozen officers on payroll who only get called out a few times a week even in the busiest cities. SWAT is usually an additional qualification, and officers perform typical patrol duties unless they've been called out. Like how most police departments don't have a dedicated riot control unit.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 21, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

im gay posted:

Two black people got shot by police for stealing a case of beer.

http://www.theolympian.com/2015/05/21/3737619_two-suspected-shoplifters-shot.html?rh=1

Police are starting to take a hardline at people who do beer runs, because it's a sign of a lack of impunity among the public.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I heard that segment too. There were quite a few supposed bikers calling in and pointing the finger at law enforcement-affiliated biker gangs for sparking the Waco shoot out. The detective on the panel specializing in outlaw bikers was of course having none of it.

:stare:

Does someone have a link or something to read up on this?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jarmak posted:

No, SWAT is for enforcing laws against people who actively and violently resist. Their origin is in apprehending armed bank robbers and penetrating a barricaded residence to effect an arrest.

If this is ever needed (it's not) the situation would already be of federal interest. Thus SWAT should be FBI/Federal.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So what kind of response time do you want for these regional agents?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Phone posting, but the Baltimore paper released video of the Freddie Gray arrest that seems to contradict the police narrative that Gray was fine and resisting when they put him in the van.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
indictments handed down by Baltimore grand jury, also

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Caeser is hosed.

Also strange that you can get 'Second Degree Intentional Assault' but not 'Involuntary Manslaughter' if you assaulted him.
While one of the others has 'Second Degree Negligent Assault' and got Involuntary.
Anyone care to explain?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

happyhippy posted:

Caeser is hosed.

Also strange that you can get 'Second Degree Intentional Assault' but not 'Involuntary Manslaughter' if you assaulted him.
While one of the others has 'Second Degree Negligent Assault' and got Involuntary.
Anyone care to explain?

Could be as a result of the poo poo that happened before Gray was loaded into the wagon, so it's unrelated to the actual death but still illegal.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

hobbesmaster posted:

So what kind of response time do you want for these regional agents?

Why is response time even a concern?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

Why is response time even a concern?

Because there's this fantasy that SWAT mainly gets used for responding to shooters, terrorists and evil villains instead of serving no-knock or knock-via-battering ram warrants.

Besides, just because something is federal doesn't mean everyone has to be stationed in DC.

Edit: lets have some numbers:

quote:

62 percent of the SWAT raids surveyed were to conduct searches for drugs.

Just under 80 percent were to serve a search warrant, meaning eight in 10 SWAT raids were not initiated to apprehend a school shooter, hostage taker, or escaped felon (the common justification for these tactics), but to investigate someone still only suspected of committing a crime.

In fact, just 7 percent of SWAT raids were “for hostage, barricade, or active shooter scenarios.”

In at least 36 percent of the SWAT raids studies, no contraband of any kind was found. The report notes that due to incomplete police reports on these raids this figure could be as high as 65 percent.

SWAT tactics are disproportionately used on people of color.

65 percent of SWAT deployments resulted in some sort of forced entry into a private home, by way of a battering ram, boot, or some sort of explosive device. In over half those raids, the police failed to find any sort of weapon, the presence of which was cited as the reason for the violent tactics.
(http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2014/06/24/new-aclu-report-takes-a-snapshot-of-police-militarization-in-the-united-states/)

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 21, 2015

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Trabisnikof posted:

Because there's this fantasy that SWAT mainly gets used for responding to shooters, terrorists and evil villains instead of serving no-knock or knock-via-battering ram warrants.
Yea that's the vibe I was getting too.

quote:

Besides, just because something is federal doesn't mean everyone has to be stationed in DC.

Most large cities have regional FBI offices anyway and when there is something of interest to the FBI, it's usually not "spontaneous jihad syndrome" or whatever wierd poo poo people think SWAT handles.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah, you say that now, but the second you need a guy with a grenade launcher to save your kid from the joker you'll be singing a different tune!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm having trouble following. Everyone in this thread probably agrees the no knock military style raids are ridiculous and should be eliminated. That leaves SWAT to handle pretty much just active shooters, major hostage situations and the like which sounds good.

But, time matters in these things. There already exists a federal SWAT team that deploys the way you want called the FBI HRT. They arrived in Boston while Jahar was bleeding out in some random guy's boat. Of course after that you could argue that SWAT teams are unnecessary in the first place; the patrolmen will be the only ones that actually engage and everything will end before any reinforcements can arrive.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ElCondemn posted:

Yeah, you say that now, but the second you need a guy with a grenade launcher to save your kid from the jahar you'll be singing a different tune!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

^
Don't mind him, he's from bizzaro-America where the Boston PD is good and their SWAT team stopped the Boston bombings.

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm having trouble following. Everyone in this thread probably agrees the no knock military style raids are ridiculous and should be eliminated. That leaves SWAT to handle pretty much just active shooters, major hostage situations and the like which sounds good.

But, time matters in these things. There already exists a federal SWAT team that deploys the way you want called the FBI HRT. They arrived in Boston while Jahar was bleeding out in some random guy's boat. Of course after that you could argue that SWAT teams are unnecessary in the first place; the patrolmen will be the only ones that actually engage and everything will end before any reinforcements can arrive.

You're right, once we reduce SWAT use by 90% it won't matter as much who the SWAT team works for. But until then, removing the paramilitary from the police could be a very good thing.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Powercrazy posted:

If this is ever needed (it's not) .

A forums poster who has never, ever heard of a violent person or persons barricading themselves somewhere.

Hahaha.

But don't worry if that ever happens, the Feds can handle it!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

But, time matters in these things.

"If only we had gotten there sooner" -movies

SWAT was created because police wanted a way to keep civil unrest in check with superior fire power and tactics. The whole thing was about fears around the civil rights movement, black panthers and the war on drugs. SWAT teams were created because police/politicians/people are scared of black people, these teams should have never been created. There are very few scenarios where we need heavy firepower available within minutes, certainly not often enough to justify their existence.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mlmp08 posted:

A forums poster who has never, ever heard of a violent person or persons barricading themselves somewhere.

Hahaha.

But don't worry if that ever happens, the Feds can handle it!

No it absolutely happens. And what is the appropriate response to situations like that? If you said forcible entry with shock-and-awe tactics that were used 'like in that one movie', you'd be wrong.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

^
Don't mind him, he's from bizzaro-America where the Boston PD is good and their SWAT team stopped the Boston bombings.

You see "Jahar" is pronounced like "joker"
:thejoke:___________/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

No it absolutely happens. And what is the appropriate response to situations like that? If you said forcible entry with shock-and-awe tactics that were used 'like in that one movie', you'd be wrong.

FBI HRT does that stuff with reasonable success. They need to go to Iraq and Afghanistan to keep busy though.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Boston Bombing is actually a pretty good example at how much SWAT teams suck at the one thing they're supposedly meant to do:

quote:

In the end, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev wasn’t found by Guardsmen, a commando team or a police officer in an armored vehicle. After the shelter in place had been lifted, he was spotted by a resident of Watertown who saw something unusual in his back yard and called the police. Only then did SWAT teams respond to apprehend the suspected bomber. (More on that later.) For such a massive show of force, the fugitive was captured in a pretty conventional manner.

But on Laurel Street, rounds flew into parked cars and police vehicles and chewed up fences and trees. A round entered the home of Andrew Kitzenberg on the north side of the street and lodged in a chair. Another ripped through the exterior wall of Adam Andrew and Megan Marrer’s house and landed on their living room floor.

More than a dozen officers suffered minor injuries during the mayhem, but none was believed to have been wounded by the suspects. The only serious wound was suffered by Richard Donohue, a transit cop with the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority, who was hit in the groin by a police bullet and began to bleed profusely.

In the end, the two suspects had one gun between them and probably fired no more than 10 bullets. In his testimony before the Senate Homeland Security Committee, Davis credited federal funding for equipment such as armored vehicles, robots and other gear. That gear “allowed us to take Dzhokhar Tsarnaev into custody alive.” But that doesn’t jibe with what actually happened when the police apprehended Tsarnaev. Again from NBC:

The commander on scene was able to deploy the tactical team and establish a perimeter, says the report, but his control was only partial because there were so many extra, “self-deployed” bodies arriving.

A member of one SWAT team tried to take up a position on a rooftop, only to find that a member of a different SWAT team was on the same roof. After an argument, neither man would budge.

At around 7 p.m., a voice on the police radio issued a warning, “There’s a perp in the boat trying to poke a hole in the liner, a perp in the boat. Live party who may be trying to object out, live party in the boat confirmed.”

Tsarnaev was pushing a long, thin object up through the boat covering. The object later turned out to be a fishing gaff, which Tsarnaev may have been trying to use to push up the tarp so he could see out.

But one of the snipers on the roof saw the object and began shooting. It sparked a round of what is known as “contagious fire,” where other officers with their fingers on the trigger began peppering the boat with bullets.

The commander began shouting for the officers to cease fire, but the fusillade went on for 10 seconds
. Hundreds of rounds were expended.

When the shooting stopped, order was restored. The FBI’s hostage rescue team used a robotic arm to pull the wrapping off the boat. Flash grenades thrown at the craft were meant to stun Tsarnaev, and he was urged via bullhorn to surrender.

In other words, it was really only through dumb luck (or poor aim) that Tsarnaev was taken alive. And as it turns out, he was unarmed. The proliferation of SWAT teams across the country has in large part been due to federal anti-drug grants, federal giveaways of military equipment and Department of Homeland Security anti-terror grants. And in Watertown, there were clearly too many SWAT guys at the scene, not too few.

(http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2014/04/22/the-police-response-to-the-boston-marathon-bombing/)

SWAT didn't really help stop the bombing, they didn't help prevent the killing of the MIT police officer, they didn't help find the last suspect, and while they did "help" in his capture, they did so while injuring each other against an unarmed opponent.

hobbesmaster posted:

You see "Jahar" is pronounced like "joker"
:thejoke:___________/

Well, that makes more sense. :downs:

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
At this point people are just putting their heads in the sand and ignoring recorded history, it's kinda sad.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Powercrazy posted:

If just one person barricading themselves in? Wait it out. If a repeat of the LA bank robbery? Waiting it out isn't an option. Luckily those sorts of situations are rarer now because of the existence of SWAT teams (bank robbers are not morons and there's lots of evidence to suggest they take into account the probability of success).

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

tsa posted:

If just one person barricading themselves in? Wait it out. If a repeat of the LA bank robbery? Waiting it out isn't an option. Luckily those sorts of situations are rarer now because of the existence of SWAT teams (bank robbers are not morons and there's lots of evidence to suggest they take into account the probability of success).

You're saying the only reason there aren't more bank robberies is because of the existence of SWAT teams? Care to provide proof that their existence is what's preventing bank robberies?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

hobbesmaster posted:

FBI HRT does that stuff with reasonable success. They need to go to Iraq and Afghanistan to keep busy though.

There is absolutely a correct way to do that sort of thing. However it always involves a protracted stand-off and negotiation first, so response time isn't the primary concern. And honestly in almost all cases the primary concern should be the collateral damage of both the criminal action and the police response for the community in the form of lives, risks, and dollars, not "I need to make sure the bad guy doesn't get away at any cost."

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Trabisnikof posted:

That reminded me, lets check in on those cops that ran a guy off the road as part of a motorcycle gang....

Oh right, the trial is just beginning.

Lets check in on their arguments:

And lets see how they're describing their behavior:

Yup, punching through a broken window to make the hole bigger is just normal cop behavior. Just like participating in dangerous criminal activities and not stopping someone getting beaten and just driving off (never calling 911 or reporting anything in the meanwhile) is "reacting like a cop."

Also there are texts from the officer from the day before that are were concerning enough his handler was worried (with bonus OWS police surveillance):

Oh yeah and of course the good part:

From a little ways back, but this is spectacularly hosed up. Here's an article with some video of the assault.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/wife-banker-beaten-bikers-recalls-attack-article-1.2228107

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
Two black guys got shot last night in my town after shoplifting from the local safeway:

Reports say they assaulted store personnel before running, but unfortunately I was actually right there when they left the store and they didn't touch anybody. They just skated off with their beer, but they never assaulted any store employees. I can't speak to the police confrontation itself, but I have been in contact with both Olympia PD and the local news and have told them both what I saw. OPD didn't seem to care, the news was very interested.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

Two black guys got shot last night in my town after shoplifting from the local safeway:

Reports say they assaulted store personnel before running, but unfortunately I was actually right there when they left the store and they didn't touch anybody. They just skated off with their beer, but they never assaulted any store employees. I can't speak to the police confrontation itself, but I have been in contact with both Olympia PD and the local news and have told them both what I saw. OPD didn't seem to care, the news was very interested.

Do you use a real-world definition of assault or the DND definition, though?

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

I have been in contact with both Olympia PD and the local news and have told them both what I saw. OPD didn't seem to care, the news was very interested.

i'm SHOCKED

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

semper wifi posted:

There was no physical contact whatsoever if that answers your question.

Dusty Baker 2 fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 22, 2015

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

semper wifi posted:

He just said they didn't touch anyone.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

On Terra Firma posted:

He just said they didn't touch anyone.

I thought it was battery once you touch them.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

semper wifi posted:

What's the DND definition?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Booourns posted:

What's the DND definition?

Hitting someone with a greataxe for 1d12+6 damage.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Bel Shazar posted:

Depends on the state.

In a lot of places a credible threat of violence is assault.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Bel Shazar posted:

Laws vary state to state. I don't think Washington even has "battery" in their code. Just various degrees of assault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Serves me right for not making the disgustingly minor effort to Google "washington battery"... first f'in link. http://www.assaultandbattery.org/washington

• Locked thread