Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

I don't know if having a 33 as my only character will get me a dragon any time soon. Is it ANY BAMs? Like 20+? If so I can farm them to level. If not..I'd love an extra that someone has! IGN: Anith.Era

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Flesh Forge posted:

It's really refreshing to find an online RPG that does not make you crawl 5 miles over broken glass on your nutsack in order to change the configuration of your powers. Am I missing anything or is there just no cost or cooldown for changing your glyphs? It's also really nice to find a massively multiplayer game that is actually MASSIVE, wow there is so much open space and all the world map regions have such tremendous scope and scale. I spent some time leveling my mystic just from queueing for dungeons (never any wait for healer/support which was nice) and I had all these stacks of sidequest bullshit to turn in and it took a lot of exploration to figure out where the actual mission givers are. For all that Neverwinter apes Tera's gameplay, Neverwinter's maps are 100% linear self-contained zones that are not connected at all, just points on a map interface.

Your posts are making me want to try this terrible game. :negative:

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

WarLocke posted:

This game may get a lot of crap but it is actually really fun if you can look past the T&A and the Elin race. Play it!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Yeah not gonna lie, this is the first MMO I've played since CoX where I've felt actually powerful. I can attack 10 mobs at once and kill them all and maybe have a fourth of my HP taken down? If that? Yeah if you don't dodge you'll feel even weaker than in like FF14, but as long as you know how to dodge/block/etc it's probably the best power trip MMO currently. There's something great about getting a quest to kill 15 X and chaining all 15 then nuking them down with AOEs, to complete the quest all at once.

Compared to the other MMOs I've played recently AKA TOR and FF14, where in TOR you can fight like 4-5 mobs at once and then have to heal between fights, and in FF14 you can maybe fight 2 at once and nearly die, it's like amazing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

WarLocke posted:

This is a genuinely great game in a whole bunch of different ways, try it! You don't have the mix and match aspects of playing with your costume that you might expect from COH/Champions but wow some of the armors and costumes looks loving MAGNIFICENT. The action is great and there's a real sense of enormity to the world, while there technically are "zones" (areas separated by griffon flights) they're so big they really don't feel that way at all.

e: also every time I log in and get the splash screens I think "huhuhuh butthole studio huhuh"

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 22, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Protip for new people: if you think crafting is dumb (I do) pick up all the crafting bullshit and then put it on brokerage (the auction system). Playing for ~3 days and I realized I have no interest at all in the crafting system so I sold all my rubbish I'd been hoarding and oops I have 700 gold. I like the little cha-ching sound when a brokerage sale goes through.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
This stupid game is downloading on Steam. I hate you people.

Is there a breakdown of how different classes play and what race to be to not have boob window armor or whatever?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

WarLocke posted:

Is there a breakdown of how different classes play and what race to be to not have boob window armor or whatever?

play a squirrel girl

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

WarLocke posted:

this is not how you play this game

play female aman or fox elin

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

WarLocke posted:

If you want to play this game you'll have to resign yourself to boob windows and thongs because it's boob windows and thongs as far as the eye can see since like 90% of the player characters you'll see are female. The boob windows are at least generally pretty creatively designed though, rather than just pulling a Power Girl or the like. That being said, they recently added a couple new outfits that are pretty much completely covered up or look pretty close to functional medieval armor, and most gunner specific armor skins are practically nuns' habits relative to the rest of the game. Those things are just not really something you're going to have access to as a new player.

Also yeah, pick Amani, they're cool. Just don't be the bad race.

Edit: There's a decent armor gallery you can find if you want to base your decision on that. I don't have a link because phone posting, but just search for tera fashion coupons or something like that.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 22, 2015

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Yeah what the hell is the deal with Gunner REQUIRING you to be Castanic/HElf Female? I wanted to make a Male Amani or Castanic, but welp.

Also newbies, check your parcel(mail) often! I got a random thing in the mail that had some charms/boosts and 3 sapphires that vendor'd for 200g each. 600g at level 30 is pretty neat.

More giveaways! This one is for a free Kings Crown:

http://www.onrpg.com/giveaways/tera-steam-kings-crown-of-gold-pack-giveaway/

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Tip for early gold:

Sell scarabs. You get them from gathering nodes sometimes. Or at least this used to net me money. Not sure if the prices on those tanked or not.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Been a couple days since I've been on, but last I can recall those were still worth a fair amount of gold.

ttocs7
Sep 14, 2010

Obscurity posted:

Yeah what the hell is the deal with Gunner REQUIRING you to be Castanic/HElf Female? I wanted to make a Male Amani or Castanic, but welp.

Also newbies, check your parcel(mail) often! I got a random thing in the mail that had some charms/boosts and 3 sapphires that vendor'd for 200g each. 600g at level 30 is pretty neat.

When they announced that they were making Reaper Elin only, they were saying that the reasoning behind that was due to time - something like 8 months for a set of animations per race/gender/class combination, and Elin were the most popular race worldwide. I would imagine that a similar constraint was there for the gunner. Unfortunately a quick google search hasn't come up with any interviews that back this up, just random forum posts.

Leaves me kind of curious as to how gutted Bluehole was after the NCSoft lawsuit.

Also, you'll get another 3 sapphires when you hit level 55.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

WarLocke posted:

Aman are the least cheesecake but yes you are going about this the wrong way

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Anyone else's game randomly crash or give you exception errors? Especially after a logout, but sometimes in game? Ugh.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Aman are the least cheesecake but yes you are going about this the wrong way

No, they actually are pretty scantily clad outside of a few sets (but those few sets look really loving good so I pretty much just use the l21/r21 costume)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

They're scantily clad but in a classy way that I don't feel is terribly cheesecake :iamafag:

I spent some time writing a guide on how to play a warrior I hope you like it and it helps you.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Obscurity posted:

Anyone else's game randomly crash or give you exception errors? Especially after a logout, but sometimes in game? Ugh.

I did when I first installed but then I updated my video drivers and that stopped.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Flesh Forge posted:

I did when I first installed but then I updated my video drivers and that stopped.

Oh well. It's mostly only happened after logout, but I just had it happen in game. Hopefully it was a one-time thing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well I frequently get a dialog complaining of an exception after logging out too but that doesn't bother me I guess :shrug: It doesn't seem to actually matter, it's just a dialog.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I hit 65 on the lancer! whee! A few questions

I never touched crafting but I maxed out all my gathering skills. Should I start doing stuff with weapon/armorcrafting? Whats the best way to do that and whats its useful for?

How to start getting involved/better at pvp? Or getting involved in guild pvp and the like?

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

My thoughts on crafting/gathering:
Gather 50 of everything from the start (plants, energy, ore). Once you get to lvl 300 for each in gathering (check your character menu, gathering) you get an extra inventory row. Also, as soon as you get to Velika for the first time go to Getty, the inventory unlocker guy, and he'll give you a slot free. At lvl 55 a quest unlocks from him, too, that takes you to a few area towns and you have to turn in 50 of each gathering thing for that area. Then you get an inventory slot, too. So gathering give you 2 extra ones plus lots to sell if you don't do any crafting.

For high level crafting, certain materials are seriously expensive or rare to get as drops. It also costs a lot to buy all the materials, unless you gathered a lot and kept them, just to level crafting ability. So it seems expensive, but crafting lower level gear for friends and what not is much easier than lvl 60+ gear. I was hoping to have a friend craft me a weapon, but it would cost around 25k for the materials and I can't afford it. I think at lvl 60 or maybe 65 there are quests that pop up for each crafting to get a start and some free materials.

Etching and Alchemy seem more viable, though I haven't leveled them much, too, since they're useful items and dungeon runners go through them a lot. I think you can only become skilled in one type of crafting per character, too, so holding on to certain things for other chars to lvl with is a good idea.

As far as gunner, my vault times as reaper were around 6 minutes, priest 8 minutes and i'm getting under 4 with gunner. My friend who's a Tera pro does them in 2-3 with slayer, gunner, and warrior so I think end game gunner is on par with most DPS. Maybe the range makes it a bit easier, though, since you're out of the way for a lot of close up attacks.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

What exactly is the issue with warrior in PvP? Is it that they just don't dish out the damage to justify not having knockdowns and stuns? Is there anything they do well in PvP (don't say die)

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

brennon posted:

What exactly is the issue with warrior in PvP? Is it that they just don't dish out the damage to justify not having knockdowns and stuns? Is there anything they do well in PvP (don't say die)

Warriors are amazing in PVP. They got everything.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
What am I missing about the jewelry and armor (ambit) that drops from instances compared to the gear I got from the story line? Because the stuff I have is like 30 item levels higher. Sure, not enchantable but even enchanting the ambit armor only brings it on par with what I already seem to have?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Mr. Neutron posted:

What am I missing about the jewelry and armor (ambit) that drops from instances compared to the gear I got from the story line? Because the stuff I have is like 30 item levels higher. Sure, not enchantable but even enchanting the ambit armor only brings it on par with what I already seem to have?

Enchanting weapons/armor raises the base stats of your gear significantly. It is almost always better to go this route in my experience but if you did the math and the numbers do not pan out then that is that. The numbers don't lie.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
So I plan to roll a Sorcerer because I'm a robe wearing jerk in every RPG ever. Is DGKK or No Fun Allowed more active for a newbie to join up with?

e:Or Berserker because holy poo poo that looks fun.

PsychicToaster fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 22, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

PsychicToaster posted:

So I plan to roll a Sorcerer because I'm a robe wearing jerk in every RPG ever. Is DGKK or No Fun Allowed more active for a newbie to join up with?

Just know ahead of time that dodging/blocking is key in this game and that the Sorceror's dodge is a leap backwards. It can feel a bit awkward to get used to at first but it is definitely a fun class. I am just bringing this up because if the backwards leap is not appealing to your play style then try another class whose dodge roll is more controllable or relies on blocking like Berzerker.

schemie
May 3, 2004

Started playing this game last weekend after not playing since beta. Rolled a gunner because it looked neat and it is pretty fun, using aeo to kill giant groups of mobs and soloing instances. I didn't realize how new and popular gunners were until I was in the mid 40s and started reading about the game.

I still plan on leveling my gunner to 65 but I've also rolled a priest to make grouping easier. Also I bought a month of elite status to take extra advantage of the xp event and figured leveling one of the slower to level classes makes more sense.

I'm on mount tyrannas and was wondering if the guild limit was per character or per account? Like if I wanted both toons in the guild would that count as 2?

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

PsychicToaster posted:

I played Berserker a back at release, but I think Gunner tops that class in every way.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Recently got into this game again after a couple of brief stints before, and drat, gunner is really fun. I don't know if I'll ever get into endgame, but just the leveling is fun enough (especially considering it's not my main MMO anyway).

That being said, I thought I'd try to get those dragon mounts for my two chars. Got my first A the first day and figured it'd be easy, but many many hours of farming later I've got about 60 T, 40 E, 7 R and still no second A. Did anyone do research about the relative drop rates of the different letters?

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Tera is awesome, Killing BAMs as a Lancer is probably the most fun I have ever had in an MMO, I wish I gave it more of a chance on release, but the deal breaker was the questing, it was awful, its still awful. The quests are a huge part of the game and the design work behind it is dogshit from 2004, which is SUCH a shame because everything else about it was lightyears ahead of the competition.

Back when it first came out it had that terrible issue of the 1 npc you needed to kill to progress and of course 100 people needed to kill it. Then there was gathering the grass for your mount, which of course everyone wanted as well. It just pissed me off a lot that an MMO in 2012 was still doing this bullshit and so I quit.

It's obviously better then it was. Isle of Dawn is super fast and you get a mount for free right out the gates. You can use all sorts of xp boosters, Avatar Weapons, elite sub, Vanguard Quests, or cash shop items to easily skip huge chunks of bear rear end quests. Dungeons and progression in general is no longer locked behind some kind of attunement or discovery.

But even if you only do the story quests and dungeons, you still have to do a ridiculously amount of back and forth running. The amount of times I have had to make a 15 minute trip back and forth to Allemanthia, through numerous load screens, flights, and teleporters just to relay some message to an npc to progress the story was infuriating. Not to mention the amount of times I repeat a dungeon because I didn't talk to precisely the right npc/boss kill in order of the story.

It just boggles my mind why they phoned in questing so hard when everything else was so fresh.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

The questing is fine, though. The isle of dawn was ridiculously long before, so that's a welcome change, but the questing is pretty standard, reminds me a lot of FFXIV's questing and no one complains about that.

Avatar weapons are the biggest change, and something I wish more games would adopt for their old content. It's cool if you're deadset on making me trudge through your old content, but you can make it a lot more fun for me by letting me curbstomp anything that gets in my way.

Also the travel time is to get you to spend money on the game for elite for the teleport book, which basically just is what it is. I'm pretty neutral on it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The questing is really standard MMO bear rear end collection but it feels like it's mainly there to get you to go explore the world map, which is loving ridiculously awesome. I haven't actually seen a big world that is this genuinely interesting to go explore in, well, I never have actually. Anarchy Online had some of this feeling for me when it was new, and later when the Shadowlands expansion was released, but Tera's world is so loving big and diverse. It doesn't feel like Bethesda's type of huge open world map, where you can tell quite a lot of elements were procedurally placed and the architecture all has a pretty generic feel to it, poo poo is just vastly different when you go to different towns. I just did the entry flight to the High Elf city Somethingalalthealythaghg whatever and I was :allears: through the whole thing. And then you land and you realize it's all walkable, it isn't just a bitmap in the background.

Monomythian posted:

But even if you only do the story quests and dungeons, you still have to do a ridiculously amount of back and forth running. The amount of times I have had to make a 15 minute trip back and forth to Allemanthia, through numerous load screens, flights, and teleporters just to relay some message to an npc to progress the story was infuriating. Not to mention the amount of times I repeat a dungeon because I didn't talk to precisely the right npc/boss kill in order of the story.

It just boggles my mind why they phoned in questing so hard when everything else was so fresh.

Yes but that's all pretty optional isn't it? From what I can tell the real reward for low/mid level questing is having a large list of words you can have floating over your head. Which is something I'm totally on board with because I'm enjoying the exploration aspect anyway, but yeah I wouldn't do it all again for every character I make in the future.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 22, 2015

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

At worst tera's questing is bog standard for western games, and remember the environment the game was initially released in in korea. Having western style questing in korean games was definitely not a standard thing even just a few years ago.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Honestly, if the combat's engaging enough, the quest structure matters less than it otherwise might. My complaints with the WoW-style "collect X bear assess" quests entirely boil down to the enemies not providing anything near a challenge, so that it ends up feeling like some routine chore to complete instead of, y'know, gameplay.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Monomythian posted:

:words:

TERA's questing blows

The silver lining is that other than the main quest lines (red exclamation points), a ton of quests can be completely ignored in favor of killing BAMs and running dungeons solo while still getting a lot of exp. I put up with the questing in TERA because the completionist in me is pretty bad, but I do like that I can either ignore an area that I don't like or just take a break to get my exp in other ways. That plus the boring quests are just good excuse to engage in the awesome combat more which makes up for it imo. So many other MMOs force you into a position where you either do their quests to level up or gtfo.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The only thing I do in this game is fight big monsters for fun, levels, and fashion. I don't even bother with dungeons, though I should on priest/mystic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Pro tip: if you join a guild, you cannot join another one for 7 days because Korea.

• Locked thread