Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Based on Afterlife... and ...vs Predator, Cheryl seems to be (1) An rear end in a top hat, (2) Hates everyone who isn't rich like her brother, at best willing to tolerate the more attractive ones to toy with them, and (3) isn't very smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SilverSupernova posted:

My favorite part of that was either Nextwave M.O.D.O.K. the old world M.O.D.O.K. who thought all of the modern technologies were all alchemy or sorcery.

Real quick, did we ever figure out the waste disposal problem in our suits :ohdear:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Based on Afterlife... and ...vs Predator, Cheryl seems to be (1) An rear end in a top hat, (2) Hates everyone who isn't rich like her brother, at best willing to tolerate the more attractive ones to toy with them, and (3) isn't very smart.

She and her brother are also horribly killed in the typical Predator fashion in AvP #1, because this series has to be completely loving batshit.

I really wanna know how they stretch this to four issues.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gavok posted:

Archie vs. Predator #2.

The best part about this page is later on, the cake is shown with bits of pop's skull and eyeball still in the chocolate cake. And despite this, Jug Head eats it.

This series is fantastic, it's on a par with Punisher Meets Archie.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Gavok posted:

Archie vs. Predator #2.

I've said it before but I have no idea what the hell the guys at archie are thinking and I love it. I really have to pick up this series.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

darthbob88 posted:

Only if she was saying "Death to the Bourgeoisie!" instead.

Lunatic Pathos posted:

Death to the proletariat makes no sense for anyone to say. "Death to all the workers in my factory. Once they're gone, nothing will stand in the way of my profits!" Unless maybe automation is super advanced in the Archie-verse, such that all of humanity is super affluent and served by robot workers.

:thejoke:. Sorry, that one wasn't very clear, looking back on it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Cheryl was literally only created because writers had slowly turned Veronica from an evil rich bitch with no redeeming values to a fully rounded character who's actually friends with Betty outside of their rivalry. So they created a new girl who was as evil and detestable as Veronica used to be, and even more rich.

Her brother basically exists because the same thing happened to Reggie to a lesser extent.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Cheryl was literally only created because writers had slowly turned Veronica from an evil rich bitch with no redeeming values to a fully rounded character who's actually friends with Betty outside of their rivalry. So they created a new girl who was as evil and detestable as Veronica used to be, and even more rich.

Her brother basically exists because the same thing happened to Reggie to a lesser extent.

And then they gave Cheryl her own book and kinda ran into the same problem where she has to be at least sort of likeable in her bitchiness for it to work. Hence why she's only a semi-regular supporting character now.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

But yes, this is basically accurate, though she doesn't even really like Jason in the normal books. It's more a "he's a piece of poo poo, but only I can call him on it because he's my brother, OK?!"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Gaz-L posted:

And then they gave Cheryl her own book and kinda ran into the same problem where she has to be at least sort of likeable in her bitchiness for it to work. Hence why she's only a semi-regular supporting character now.

"But she loves animals!"

"So did Hitler."

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Gaz-L posted:

But yes, this is basically accurate, though she doesn't even really like Jason in the normal books. It's more a "he's a piece of poo poo, but only I can call him on it because he's my brother, OK?!"

As I recall, she's basically the Cersei Lannister of Riverdale.

With allllllll that implies.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

AvP #2's pretty great. It's going off the rails at an alarming pace.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 21, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SynthOrange posted:

AvP #2's pretty great. It's going off the rails at an alarming pace.

Well, Cthulhu DOES have a pretty big skull. This could work.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I really hope this book ends with a stealth crossover with Marvel as the Punisher shows up to save the day.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Didn't they already summon Cthulhu in an Archie comic? Is it becoming a running theme?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
It seems like going to the 'oh right Sabrina has literal magic' well is a recurring theme in the new Archie What If?s.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

goatface posted:

Didn't they already summon Cthulhu in an Archie comic? Is it becoming a running theme?

Minor Afterlife with Archie spoilers because that comic is unironically the best zombie/horror comic I've read in goddamn years and you should be reading it: Sabrina uses the Necronominicon to summon Jughead's dog which bites Jughead and sets off the zombie plague. This has her banished to the "Nether-Realm" which seems to partially consist of an institute run by some opaque malevolent forces that either are, are using, or take the form of H.P. Lovecraft himself. When Sabrina finds out she's sacrificed as the Bride of Cthullu and that's the last we've seen of her in the series thus far to my knowledge.

So yeah, there is a bit of a running theme involved, although I hope AvP does something useful with it because all that page is doing is reminding me of a better series I could be reading.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Speaking of Sabrina..

AvP#1

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

I still love that she's watching Suspiria.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dr. Hurt posted:

I still love that she's watching Suspiria.

It's probably like Blazing Saddles for them.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I really hope the next page is Hellboy sitting crosslegged on the floor trying not to crush legos with his enormous stone fingers :3:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sadly that's it.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

The Question IRL posted:

This series is fantastic, it's on a par with Punisher Meets Archie.

I love that, appropriately enough, the Predator is a teenager who communicates in LCD emojis.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And by the end of issue #2 half the cast is dead/dismembered. Pretty grim for an Archie book! :v:

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

SynthOrange posted:

And by the end of issue #2 half the cast is dead/dismembered. Pretty grim for an Archie book! :v:

Afterlife with Archie featured Archie tearfully beating his zombified father to death. After that, I honestly don't have any limits on what might be in an Archie comic. It is a strange, brave new world we live in.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Why can Archie of all things get so crazy?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

If you try to take Archie seriously, you will fail. It's simply impossible. This is the secret.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

John Dyne posted:

Speaking of Sabrina..

AvP#1

Tonight, the role of Sabrina will apparently be played by Rose Lalonde.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hiddenriverninja posted:

New Archie EIC wants to make things interesting to all.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

hiddenriverninja posted:

The Archie cast is basically a set of horror movie cliches already. Putting monsters in it just completes the other half of the equation.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

RandallODim posted:

Afterlife with Archie featured Archie tearfully beating his zombified father to death. After that, I honestly don't have any limits on what might be in an Archie comic. It is a strange, brave new world we live in.

That dog scene, though :smith:

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 22, 2015

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

hiddenriverninja posted:

Because they're not owned by a multinational conglomerate constantly breathing down their necks about "protecting our IP for future merchandising profitability."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
So how long until Archie vs. the Terminator?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That dog scene, though :smith:

Afterlife with Archie: A book way more touching than 'Archie but with zombies' would ever make you expect.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It used a long established cast as a shortcut to do what horror is actually about, empathy.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

They're definitely trading on the absurdity of the squeaky-clean, painfully dull Archie Comics jumping into blood and guts, and there's probably a limit on the novelty of that. Once you've cashed in a long history of sincerity to do "Zombies/slasher villains, but with Archie" there's not really anywhere left to go, unless you have the guts to go full post-modern.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Someone get Grant Morrison on the line!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dolash posted:

They're definitely trading on the absurdity of the squeaky-clean, painfully dull Archie Comics jumping into blood and guts, and there's probably a limit on the novelty of that. Once you've cashed in a long history of sincerity to do "Zombies/slasher villains, but with Archie" there's not really anywhere left to go, unless you have the guts to go full post-modern.

Hasn't Archie been doing random crazy stuff for decades though? Like Jughead's Time Police in 1990 and Archie Meets the Punisher in 1994. The newspaper strip is as bland as possible, but I was under the impression that the regular comics were a lot less restrained.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tiggum posted:

Hasn't Archie been doing random crazy stuff for decades though? Like Jughead's Time Police in 1990 and Archie Meets the Punisher in 1994. The newspaper strip is as bland as possible, but I was under the impression that the regular comics were a lot less restrained.

I mean, kind of. Most of what they published was straight up just repeating the formula of the 50s comics, by a huge majority. There were occasional extremely odd gimmicks like the stories where Archie and Reggie turn into superpowered cape guys fighting each other, or the ones where Jughead's hat has magic powers, or even Jughead's time police, but most of what was published was just things like "Archie tries to win the snowmobile race to impress Veronica, but Reggie cheats!" or "Pop's is losing business because Jughead is into pizzas right now!"The stories where Archie and the gang have to outsmart an evil scientist or survive on a deserted island were few and far between.

And more importantly, even the most out-there stories they published had the exact same safe tone as the rest of it, usually revolving around the Archie/Betty/Veronica love triangle. There certainly wasn't complicated dimensional travel, and there sure as hell wasn't any violent murder. The weird stuff was more akin to how the Flinstones got a weird wish-granting alien in the final season to spice up the formula than real departures from what the books are about. And the weirder stuff? It tended to sell very poorly compared to stories about Mr. Lodge trying to impress a client but Archie keeps breaking stuff.

The stuff coming out right now is so insane it's closer to a deconstructive pastiche than it is to the regular output.

And Archie meets the Punisher is just an aberration that had no right to exist or be any good.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The real Archie comics had so much weird innuendo, there's entire tumblrs dedicated to it.

http://archieoutofcontext.tumblr.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Say Nothing posted:

The real Archie comics had so much weird innuendo, there's entire tumblrs dedicated to it.

http://archieoutofcontext.tumblr.com/

I don't know what's weirder about that frame--that someone (Archie?) won't wear pants, or that Jughead is enraged about it. Frankly, him enraged about anything is weird.