Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I think maybe people missed this because Dr. Fate is being written by Old Man Levitz, but it sounds like it could get Silver Age weird in that book.

quote:

It’s literally raining cats and dogs as the mystic forces of Anubis and Bastet use a tidal wave to settle an ancient score, and only the new, hopelessly inexperienced Doctor Fate can save a city from drowning.

It'll probably just be raining water, but let a man dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You can see the start of that in the preview story.
http://www.dccomics.com/comics/dr-fate-2015/dc-sneak-peek-dr-fate-2015

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 20, 2015

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Loved the art in the sneak peak, but the dialogue came off as really stilted. Which is a shame, it's one of the new books I really wanted to like.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Gotham Academy preview is kind of a hard sell, honestly. It's the equivalent of a "THIS SEASON, ON {blank}" trailer, with a cutesy, reference heavy rhyme that went on too long for my taste. And I like the actual book!

Batman Beyond is kind of amazing in how quickly it's made clear that no-one involved wants to do an actual Beyond comic, and actually wants to do an MCU Iron Man/Terminator (or maybe the Borg) crossover. :downsbravo: DC.

Titans wasn't awful, but has the problem that it barely features the titular characters, and so feels like a bad representation of the actual book.

Manhunter was interesting, and set up a mystery to hook the reader in, though the "Maybe J'onn's EEVIL" lady was a bit eyerolling.

Robin was well executed, but honestly? Even with were-bat and ninjas, it's not my thing. I feel like Damian needs other, more normal people to bounce off of to make his 'honourable, jaded warrior but is 11 year old boy' shtick work.

Catwoman's writing was really good and continues in making me want to go and read all of Valentine's run, after the initial premise put me off. She even set up a neat contrast in that Selina's kind of fulfilling the high society superhero(?) role in Gotham with Bruce out of commission. Art was mostly decent, but WEDGES? Really?

Grayson was lightweight and charming, which seems to match the tone of the series from what I've been seeing, so it works in that regard.

Suicide Squad was similar in that it was eyerolling and kind of terrible, but that's about the size of the boom itself, so fair advertising.

Secret Six was neat, and I don't think I ever knew Black Alice's thing was copying abilities (doesn't quite explain why she also gets Constantine's 40 a day habit and trenchcoat as well, but comics). Doubt it's gonna change anyone's mind that hates Simone, but if you like her, it's good stuff, playing up the mercenary thing and doing a solid misdirect.

Batman/Superman continues to make me really interested in the Truth storyline, to be honest, so anyone that's really down on it. Sorry. I'm the guy. The one they're aiming for with this. He's still Superman, maybe even moreso, because he's keeping trying to be Superman even though he's completely exposed and vulnerable.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Continuity errors aside (like Guy talking about his Red Lanterns while wearing his GL suit), Convergence was pretty fun. However its pacing has been terrible, we wasted like three issues building Deimos just so just he went down like a bitch.

Oh and for all intents and purposes, the N52 has been effectively changed.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 20, 2015

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Okay who is the fan of Donna Troy?

I used to be.

Phil Jimenez is the only hold out left, I think.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I used to be.

Phil Jimenez is the only hold out left, I think.

Looks like the Finch's are as well. Goddamn is she a horrible broken character.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Damian's pet Man-Bat in Son of Batman is my favorite thing in comics right now.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Man I was really hoping that convergence was going to bring me back to buying DC on a regular basis, but it's all the same problems I have had with DC for a while now. Not to mention that the DC you ads don't inspire any confidence with me at all. How can a company be so inept.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Are you talking about Convergence the event or the 8-page previews?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Semper Fudge posted:

Are you talking about Convergence the event or the 8-page previews?

I mean more the post event stuff where they were going to be introducing some new books and that kind of thing. I thought convergence may have been a good point for them to restart.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Who was it that planned out the last Silver Age Wonder Woman story and decided, Y'know what, I'm gonna turn Steve Trevor and Etta Candy into vampires and then kill them!

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

The_Rob posted:

I mean more the post event stuff where they were going to be introducing some new books and that kind of thing. I thought convergence may have been a good point for them to restart.

What about them is not working for you out of curiosity? Like what about them are bringing to mind the exact same problems you had with them before?

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 20, 2015

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Semper Fudge posted:

What about them is not working for you out of curiosity? Like what about them are bringing to mind the exact same problems you had with them before?

I think it's when I see those ads there is just nothing there that is appealing to me. The art is generic, they are trying to sell me on this new idea of Superman which I never actually wanted. There is no emphasis on the creative people actually making the products. It all just seems very corporate. It feels like they continue to try to have this edgy in your face attitude that has been going out of style since 1999 rather than focusing on making an actually good book. I just don't think I am in the demographic they are aiming towards. Not to say that there aren't some good books being put out by DC. Multiversity is my favorite thing to be released in a long time. Snyder's Batman stories will make me give at least a small glance at, and Action Comics has even been really good. The problem is that those few good books feel like the exception to the rules rather than just being what DC is all about.

When I began picking up comics again pre new 52 all I was buying was DC. I was never a Marvel person as a kid. I would buy an occasional Spiderman or Avengers comic here and there. At some point though I started noticing that my stack of DC comics started getting smaller and smaller, and my Marvel comics an imprint I historically really didn't care about got bigger and bigger. I think it's just that I feel like DC is not interested in actually putting out quality books. It feels as if DC exists to sell you on their image rather than let their image speak for its self, and when I see this new campaign of DC You it just feels really pandering. I can picture the board room of DC executives excited about their new brand opportunities to reflect the millennial generation and it just feels phony and forced.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Judge on the eight page preview comics and Divergence instead of the ads.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Judge on the eight page preview comics and Divergence instead of the ads.

I'm not saying I won't check out any DC books that I might find interesting. I'm just not intending on buying very many of the books of they continue what they are doing.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

I think there seems to be some confusion here.

You do know that all of the new titles coming from DC have 8-page original stories that are meant to give you a good impression of the new titles, that you can find on their website for free right? You don't need to rely on ad campaign to sell you on these new titles, you can literally check out nearly all of them right now.

I also REALLY wouldn't characterize that new ad campaign as edgy or in your face at all, but that's not really pertinent is it?

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 21, 2015

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Semper Fudge posted:

I think there seems to be some confusion here.

You do know that all of the new titles coming from DC have 8-page original stories that are meant to give you a good impression of the new titles, that you can find on their website for free right? You don't need to rely on ad campaign to sell you on these new titles, you can literally check out nearly all of them right now.

I also REALLY wouldn't characterize that new ad campaign as edgy or in your face at all, but that's not really pertinent is it?

A picture of cool guy marine cut superman that says this superman doesn't need glasses doesn't say edgy to you?

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

In no universe would I ever describe JRJR's art as edgy.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The_Rob posted:

A picture of cool guy marine cut superman that says this superman doesn't need glasses doesn't say edgy to you?

"The glasses are off for good" means that his secret identity has been compromised, not that he is Too Cool For Glasses or whatever you're making up here

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Travis343 posted:

"The glasses are off for good" means that his secret identity has been compromised, not that he is Too Cool For Glasses or whatever you're making up here

Yeah in a literal story sense. But you don't think they are trying to market to the people who think about how lame it is that people don't recognize Clark is actually superman?

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

The_Rob posted:

Yeah in a literal story sense. But you don't think they are trying to market to the people who think about how lame it is that people don't recognize Clark is actually superman?

Um... no? It's just an ad about Superman losing most of his powers and his secret identity. I'm really not seeing the "Those glasses were lame, am I right?!" subtext.

Equeen fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 21, 2015

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

To be honest, in the Superman/Batman preview he is wrapping his cape over the knuckles and drives a bike into Robatman's face :krad:
But i find it genuinely funny and amazing.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
'The glasses are off' is a boast. Superman is no longer mild mannered Clark Kent and he is going to gently caress some ninjas up.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've finally caught up with all the previews so far and there are only three books I think I'd buy at this point. Midnighter, Grayson, and strangely enough Aquaman. A character I've tried to get into before but has never clicked for me. Something about that preview made me want to read some more though. Outside of Grayson nothing else Batman related looks good to me and that's sad. Same with nothing Superman related. Don't like the new direction anymore than I liked the New 52 version up until now. And there were some books where I'm not sure why anyone would want to read more like Lobo, Red Hood, or Teen Titans. Those were all just dreadful. Then there are books like Bat Mite, Prez, Bizarro, and Dr Fate where I like that they're trying to something new but they all just completely missed the mark. Not sure who decided to let Levitz write a Dr Fate book but way to pair a writer I can't stand with a character I really like. Prez was my biggest disappoint so far because it was something I was really looking forward to before I read it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

nothing else Batman related looks good to me

I thought the eight pagers for them were kinda lame, but Gotham Academy and Gotham by Midnight have been really good comics so far, and I'm into Catwoman getting Catwoman back in to break up all the crime boss heaviness. I still have to get through Valentine's first arc. I found it a bit tough to read month to month, but I appreciate what she's going for with that ruined series.
The dialogue seemed a bit more dumb without Tomasi, but I'm still completely down for Gleason Robin action + big bat dog.

e: I'm bummed Det still didn't grab me. I wanna enjoy Manapul/Buccellato's great looking comics, especially now DC's a GCPD book, but I never have.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 21, 2015

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
Is that Fairchild in the Starfire preview?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, I recognised Zatanna, Red Robin, and I think the gal in the eye make-up and bracelets is Cheshire? The other two I just kind of assumed were in Red Hood and no-one but our number one Jason Todd fan and President of the Arsenal Appreciation Society would know them.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The ones whom Starfire consults are:

Fairchild

Arsenal

Red Robin

Essence

Zatanna

Cheshire

And funnily enough, on August's solicitations Starfire was on the Batman group while Red Hood Arsenal was in the Justice League group.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

lotus circle posted:

Azzarello's Wonder Woman (1-35) is a pretty solid read if you don't mind the changes to the Amazons that much (they aren't a huge focus in this run anyway.) Aquaman I've heard is fairly good and Flash (1-29 under Buccellato, though some people prefer to stop after artist Francis Manapul leaves after issue 25) is a lot of fun. Snyder's Batman has a lot of differing opinions, but you can't argue that it isn't one of the more consistent new52 books put out since the start.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Almost all of the solo comics are much better than JL (or were, WW changed creative teams eventually and went down the toilet.) As mentioned, WW, Aquaman, Batman ("Batman" that is. "Incorporated" and "and Robin" almost require you to have read Morrison's previous run) from #1s.
For Superman, the first run on Action Comics by your boy Grant Morrison with Clark in T-shirt and jeans at the start of his career. For the most part, it's a lot more grounded than his other stuff, so I'd still recommend it to you.
Or you could go right to Action #25 where Greg Pak starts and Superman #32 where Geoff Johns starts. They're both really, really solid. The issues in between were real trash.
The GL comic was a continuation of Geoff Johns' previous run, so you should start that back in 2005 or whatever, or forget Hal and follow Guy Gardner into Red Lanterns #21 where that comic got brilliant.
He was never really on the N52 Justice League, but Green Arrow is great for Jeff Lemire's run starting #17.

dragon_pamcake posted:

If you're reading digitally, I'd just get the Justice League Unlimited Comics that were based on the show they really captured the tone of the show pretty well.

If you like Booster Gold's solo episode "The Greatest Story Never Told," you should check out his solo series written by Geoff Johns.

Also give the Batman: The Brave and the Bold cartoon a shot. The Starro two parter feels exactly like JLU.

A lot of those seem very interesting. This is going to keep me busy for a while.

THanks

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bleedingcool's reporting that for print editions (e: single issues, that is), DC are planning on something like splitting one story page per comic in half and making it a two page spread with an ad running on the bottom.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/05/21/dc-comics-to-run-ads-on-the-same-pages-as-the-comics/

Not a big deal for me reading digitally, but just forcing creators to arrange one page with a 50% split is a bit lame.
Could be BS :shrug:

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

That's a magnificently stupid idea.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm so glad I don't buy print comics anymore. But still that has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Brian Hitch interview on JLA
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2015/05/21/bryan-hitch-justice-league-of-america-exclusive-preview/27696437/

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I really hope that rumor is bullshit because no one likes ads on print comics that take up what could be more story pages.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
If you want to keep paper comics then prepare for poo poo like that to come around eventually.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
poo poo like that coming around eventually is the final nail, not the saving grace.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
"DC YOU will be right back on the next page after these messages..."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Awesome, just what we need to crash our massive upswing in DC sales.

If anyone cares, my store is up a staggering 43% in just DC sales compared to 2014.

• Locked thread