Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

Is there some dumb thing I'm missing or some way to actually manage this stuff manually? I feel like my enjoyment of this game would increase 10 fold if it just had a lock on system similar to Souls and I could just hold a button to go into combat mode instead of it being an automatic thing.

Don't lock on, move towards that enemy you want to attack as you press the attack button. Do it without actually moving if you can, it's just to determine the direction of your attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Voyager I posted:

Please, please, stop loving putting the checkpoint before the cutscene. This is some 2005 level rookie mistakes.

^^^^
that. really.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Am I crazy and that's not intuitive or something? It's lodged in my mind for action combat games and I can't remember what trained it into me. Batmans?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Okay so where the hell is this entrance for the Ladies of the Woods quest? I've been looking around this circle with my finger glued to L2 for several minutes and I can't seem to find it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's a shame video game design tends to lead to people gluing their eyes to the ground, because whenever I stop scanning for loot and look up I'm just blown away by how good this game looks.

Genocyber posted:

Okay so where the hell is this entrance for the Ladies of the Woods quest? I've been looking around this circle with my finger glued to L2 for several minutes and I can't seem to find it.

There's a path with candy on it. You can just skip it though, the place you want is in the middle of the swamp. Can't miss it, you'll know it when you see it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Orv posted:

Am I crazy and that's not intuitive or something? It's lodged in my mind for action combat games and I can't remember what trained it into me. Batmans?

I didn't play Batman and I throw a poo poo fit whenever I feel like I don't have total control in a game, so it very well may be me to some extent.

So how does the lock on actually work? because he "locks on" to enemies but just seems to attack whoever he wants no matter where I'm aiming.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Next to the Place of Power, to the left of it looking at the tree. It's a climb up and drop in entrance.

NESguerilla posted:

I didn't play Batman and I throw a poo poo fit whenever I feel like I don't have total control in a game, so it very well may be me to some extent.

So how does the lock on actually work? because he "locks on" to enemies but just seems to attack whoever he wants no matter where I'm aiming.

I use it so infrequently that I can't really comment with any authority. The few times I've used it I didn't have problems with him attacking at random, but I was also still directing the attacks. Maybe lock on is just camera and not attack target, as retarded as that could possibly be.

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.
Johnny's one ugly mother fucker

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Orv posted:

Next to the Place of Power, to the left of it looking at the tree. It's a climb up and drop in entrance.

Then why the gently caress is the circle, which is supposed to give me the area I need to search, nowhere near it? Gj devs.

Thanks tho.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Harrow posted:

Honestly, I don't know what this game wants from me on Blood and Broken Bones difficulty. Why can an equal-level enemy (I'm 6, it's 6) kill me in two hits? Three hits if I put Quen up. I just don't get the point of this. I wanted this challenging, not "save before every battle because you die in three hits, and if you get hit once you'll probably get hit again."

I also don't know why I refuse to turn it down--probably because I'm convinced I'm just playing wrong. It doesn't help that I'm just plain not finding better armor. Or, rather, every armor I can buy or craft in any shop in all of Velen is light and I'd really love some medium.

I'm on the same difficulty and while I had a hell of a time at level 6, I'm now ~10 and things have eased up a fair amount. A few things I learned along the way:

Like enemies, Geralt takes more damage when hit from behind. If you're being surrounded that's a cue to back off with rolls and re-engage instead of pressing an attack.

Enemies have attacks which you can't hit them out of. For example, fighting a ghoul and between your swings he hops back a bit, then does an audible growl/screech. He's about to leap forward and even if you land a hit unless that hit kills him he'll finish his attack and hit you. Drowners have similar attacks with much smaller telegraphs, which is a major reason why they're such bitches to fight.

Quen when you're fighting packs, especially packs of monsters. If you need AoE damage use bombs. You don't have to play the entire game like this but at level 6 with less points at your disposal a lot of fights boil down to swordplay and dodging and it's nearly impossible to pull that off flawlessly with 4-5 enemies trying to flank you constantly, you're going to get hit. Bonuses to Quen sign intensity increase the amount of damage your shield can absorb so that it'll hold for more than one hit.

Don't be afraid to quaff Swallow liberally in encounters. Alcohest is everywhere, you're not going to run out anytime soon. Don't feel bad if you use your potions in an open world brawl because you're only a 1hr meditation away from getting them back.

Keep an eye out for swords and sword recipes near your level. If you're still using the viper silver sword, finding a higher level option matters a lot in Velen where most of the enemies and nearly all the main quests involve monsters.

Just try to push through. It's like Witcher 2 in that you start well behind the difficulty curve but you climb on top of it eventually.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I love the movement in combat because I love the short dodge. In terms of technical, methodical combat, Dark Souls is still better, but the short dodge is one thing I wish those games had. I do agree that Geralt's movements are really unintuitive, but that was true for The Witcher 2 also. Now that I have an intuitive sense of what he's going to do from such and such a position relative to the enemy, it gets a lot better.

Out of combat the controls are just awful. It's mostly just a minor annoyance now that I've gotten used to it, but looting things and swimming still make me go batshit crazy with frustration.

Regarding healing on higher difficulties, I didn't take the sun and the stars and use food quite liberally. You get plenty of it just by killing random stuff while wandering around. At this point I have so much alcohest that I will never run out of swallow and alcohest becomes comparatively cheaper, too. Healing consumables are a tight resource in white orchard, but after that you seem to get more than you need even if you heal after every fight.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Then why the gently caress is the circle, which is supposed to give me the area I need to search, nowhere near it? Gj devs.

Thanks tho.

Quest circles don't obey overlaid geometry, so overhands and caves register as weird bits. It's a lovely oversight.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Orv posted:

Tying movement to attack direction is really bad for a lot of reasons

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Genocyber posted:

This has never been the case for me. Even the smaller enemies like ghouls or dogs take a good 4-6 hits.

Wow, really? This has never been the case for me since Witcher 2 revamped the combat system. I guess the first thing I do when I get to a new zone is focus on gearing up though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

iCe-CuBe. posted:

You saying things are bad and then not explaining is quite a bit worse.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The combat is really tough, but I like it. There's a lot going on and it's challenging when there's stuff happening.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

iCe-CuBe. posted:

It's actually fine and good did you never play unlocked in DS or something?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm surprised so many people are defending the combat so much. It's serviceable but I wouldn't say it's more than that. Better than the last game though.

I do like how dangerous large groups are though. It's not like Assassin's Creed where you just parry counter everything in one hit, or jump back and forth forever like in Batman. Geralt is pretty fragile and if you get in the middle of ten enemies, even not particularly threatening enemies on their own, and you will watch your health bar vanish in a split second. I don't like any human enemies though because you basically have to disrupt their defense or parry them to ever hurt them. Shield guys are especially annoying.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I love the movement in combat because I love the short dodge. In terms of technical, methodical combat, Dark Souls is still better, but the short dodge is one thing I wish those games had. I do agree that Geralt's movements are really unintuitive, but that was true for The Witcher 2 also. Now that I have an intuitive sense of what he's going to do from such and such a position relative to the enemy, it gets a lot better.

Out of combat the controls are just awful. It's mostly just a minor annoyance now that I've gotten used to it, but looting things and swimming still make me go batshit crazy with frustration.

The thing with the Souls series in general is that they've had roughly the same combat and movement system iterated across 4 major games now and have been improving or refining it across all of them. This shows up especially in Bloodborne because it's the latest title and the general consensus is that they absolutely nailed control in the game (including adding the short dodge, just like you wanted!). It's unfortunate timing because Bloodborne came out recently enough that it's the very first title that everyone gesticulates wildly at while going "why doesn't the game control like that?" The games are similar in atmosphere, and setting, and combat, and comparisons are going to be inevitable.

Of course, Souls games live and die by their controls because that's where the majority of the game lives, being all about the combat, and they've had a lot more time to perfect it. Wild Hunt has a lot more stuff going on beyond fighting packs of enemies.

Still there are some basic things with the control in Wild Hunt that are fair to criticize. Why does Geralt have a turning radius at all when trying to move around? Movement on a dime in action games was figured out in the PS2 era.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
Wow that Baron questline...

I set the forest spirit thing free because I thought the Crones were tricking me. They called it evil, but Johnny said they referred to him as such so I thought I was being clever. Although the ~dark magics~ feel of the rite that needed to be performed was a bit of an indicator it wasn't some kindly tree nymph...and I was pretty sure I had hosed up when the horsey got evil red demon eyes, but I didn't save scum. Turns out it was, in fact, evil.loving making me eat my decisions--whjat a depressing conclusion.

I actually did kind of feel bad for the Baron. The reviewers that mentioned the quest and how you could "sympathize with a wife beater" and were questioning that design made it sound like "sympathizing" gave you a conversation option to the effect of YEAH MAN SOMETIMES THE WOMENS JUST NEED A HIT OR TWO TO SET EM STRAIGHT" but it was nothing like that. Nothing's black and white in The Witcher universe, as usual.

Also, I don't know if it was a bug or not, but if you free the spirit, the Black Beauty shows up at the end of the Ciri bit when you're running away from the crows. You can't interact with it or anything, it's just hanging around right before the bit ends. Curious if that's foreshadowing of something or just a weird glitch. Since that took place in the past, I'm not sure how it would even be there at all, since I hadn't freed it yet.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Positive: Combat, I don't really know why though. I don't disagree when people tell me its faults but its still great.
Negative: Geralts movement is weird and sometimes he doesn't do the thing I want him to.
I don't know: sometimes Roach forgets to descend while he's running downhill and accidentally ends up flying. Luckily he extends this power to Geralt and when I unmount he gracefully floats to land.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Meiteron posted:

The thing with the Souls series in general is that they've had roughly the same combat and movement system iterated across 4 major games now and have been improving or refining it across all of them. This shows up especially in Bloodborne because it's the latest title and the general consensus is that they absolutely nailed control in the game (including adding the short dodge, just like you wanted!). It's unfortunate timing because Bloodborne came out recently enough that it's the very first title that everyone gesticulates wildly at while going "why doesn't the game control like that?" The games are similar in atmosphere, and setting, and combat, and comparisons are going to be inevitable.

Of course, Souls games live and die by their controls because that's where the majority of the game lives, being all about the combat, and they've had a lot more time to perfect it. Wild Hunt has a lot more stuff going on beyond fighting packs of enemies.

Still there are some basic things with the control in Wild Hunt that are fair to criticize. Why does Geralt have a turning radius at all when trying to move around? Movement on a dime in action games was figured out in the PS2 era.

Comparing any Witcher combat system to any Souls combat system is so incredibly unfair and your argument about how Bloodborne has refined its combat is disingenuous. Demon's Souls is still way, way better than The Witcher 3 as far as fighting dudes goes. They aren't going for the same thing though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm surprised so many people are defending the combat so much. It's serviceable but I wouldn't say it's more than that. Better than the last game though.

I'm a big fan of games as experiences, which leads me to let a lot of poo poo slide because I'm mostly just there for the ride. That's part of it certainly, but another part is that the combat here clicked with me pretty quickly, and now that I'm genuinely good at it, I can make it look awesome. So clunkiness aside, which I will freely admit there is plenty of, I love it for that.

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Shield guys are especially annoying.

Protip: You can Axii them and then often one shot from behind while they're stunned.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Orv posted:

I'm a big fan of games as experiences, which leads me to let a lot of poo poo slide because I'm mostly just there for the ride. That's part of it certainly, but another part is that the combat here clicked with me pretty quickly, and now that I'm genuinely good at it, I can make it look awesome. So clunkiness aside, which I will freely admit there is plenty of, I love it for that.

Enjoying a game? You filthy casual.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Archimago posted:

Enjoying a game? You filthy casual.

Orv: A Relative Megahitler has a nice ring to it for an autobiography.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

tehllama posted:

Protip: You can Axii them and then often one shot from behind while they're stunned.

That's actually one of my bigger UI gripes. They've gone out of their way to give Geralt a diverse arsenal of spells and abilities to supplement his basic swordplay and made sure that a combined use of all your resources was a rewarding way to play, but the actual interface to switch between different spells etc is much too clunky to be comfortably used in the sort of frenetic combat the series favors, especially when I'm already contorting my thumb to mash Alt for short dodge.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Switching powers mid-combat is smooth as hell

Press a button, flick the stick, press a button, done in less than a second

You can switch powers while parrying without even bringing up the quick select menu, too

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

Voyager I posted:

That's actually one of my bigger UI gripes. They've gone out of their way to give Geralt a diverse arsenal of spells and abilities to supplement his basic swordplay and made sure that a combined use of all your resources was a rewarding way to play, but the actual interface to switch between different spells etc is much too clunky to be comfortably used in the sort of frenetic combat the series favors, especially when I'm already contorting my thumb to mash Alt for short dodge.

Just use the mousewheel? After you memorize the spell order it takes less than a second to go to what you need.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Orv posted:

Like I said, the combat is serviceable. It's not bad but it works. And that's fine because it's not what I'm here for, but at the same time you shouldn't defend something that isn't great just because you like what surrounds it.

But man, gently caress all these Dark Souls comparisons. Y'know what I want? Dragon's Dogma style combat. That would have been perfect for so many of the monsters in this game.

tehllama posted:

You can use Axii on anyone (it's not even the only thing you can do, other signs and bombs are an option) but if you're predominantly in it for the swordplay then you just have to wait for a parry most of the time. It's lame and they're not fun to duel. Most human enemies aren't, which kinda hurts Ciri but at least she has her teleport backstab.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I think one of the big problems is that the game plays infinitely better with a controller than a keyboard, which is definitely true of every third person action game.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I may actually play some more of this game I preordered tomorrow, is anyone far into the Sign tree and finding it good or should I respec?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

Like I said, the combat is serviceable. It's not bad but it works. And that's fine because it's not what I'm here for, but at the same time you shouldn't defend something that isn't great just because you like what surrounds it.

I don't think it's objectively bad, so I certainly should.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If it's not good, it should probably be good Orv. It doesn't make the game bad, but it does make it less good when the combat is mediocre.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

If it's not good, it should probably be good Orv. It doesn't make the game bad, but it does make it less good when the combat is mediocre.

You keep phrasing it like the only option is that your opinion, the combat being serviceable, is the correct one. That is what I am driving at here. Stop that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The combat's really good and fun

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm playing through the first Witcher right now and the only remotely satisfying thing about the combat is hitting a mob of dudes with Igni and then decapitating them all with one stroke.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Orv posted:

You keep phrasing it like the only option is that your opinion, the combat being serviceable, is the correct one. That is what I am driving at here. Stop that.

You said it's clunky yourself though is the thing

edit:

"I'm a big fan of games as experiences, which leads me to let a lot of poo poo slide because I'm mostly just there for the ride."

"So clunkiness aside"

What I'm driving at is that you yourself imply that it isn't great and that you got to like it in spite of that and I don't think that there should be a point where you are required to get past the way the game works to enjoy it

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 22, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Hey. The combat is okay. Shhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I have a feeling the combat will be better in the inevitable Extended Edition, because I think I good chunk of the problems could be fixed with patches.