Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

You said it's clunky yourself though is the thing

Because in some ways it is. If as I currently suspect, the lock on doesn't actually control target, just your camera, that's a terrible, awful design decision. Sometimes when you pound on some guys shield they won't ever lose that last bar of stamina and it's not entirely obvious why. Monsters have a tendency to lock you into a stagger animation when there's a pack of them and that's pretty much game over, and the game likes to spawn those kinds of mosnters behind you as well as in front.

But the parrying system works well. The health bar lights up to correspond with pressing the button, but it's not a single thing, human enemies do have different speeds of attacks and you can miss that parry if you do it for the wrong speed of attack. The short dodge is a fantastic addition, it allows you to get out from under charging blows and around the back side of enemies both human and monster. It gives you a very direct response option to situations in W2 where you'd see that sword coming and have no option because roll would tuck your heels into it. Signs are useful, Yrden aside, and good application of both Axii and Aard will change fights that you have no reasonable chance of winning. Walking slowly towards the last idiot with a crossbow and killing him with his own arrow is loving cool.

I don't know what you're doing when you play, I can't possibly understand you decision process or your skill level with the game, the latter of which is mostly unimportant. I don't think the combat is truly bad from a mechanical or a gameplay standpoint, and it's quite a bit more than "serviceable", issues aside, because everything has those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

I'm playing through the first Witcher right now and the only remotely satisfying thing about the combat is hitting a mob of dudes with Igni and then decapitating them all with one stroke.

The first Witcher takes way too long to dole out combat talents. By Act IV you are a whirling death dervish, but god it's a slog to get to that point.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...
Any tips for fistfighting?

I feel like I'm missing something. Dodging goes about half the distance it does in normal combat and rolling is flat out gone. Now I'm in an event in Skellige where yes, my opponent is higher level, but the biggest problem is being hopelessly penned in by onlookers. Village fistfights haven't gone much better - I got fed up with them after a round where some villager kept meandering back and forth across the ring and bitching when Geralt bumped into her.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I hated the combat until I switched to a controller, used dodge more often, and stopped locking onto targets.

Just point the stick in the direction you want to attack, quick dodge back a bit, lunge in again, use signs liberally, soften large groups with bombs, kite, etc.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Psiharis posted:

I feel like I'm missing something. Dodging goes about half the distance it does in normal combat and rolling is flat out gone. Now I'm in an event in Skellig where yes, my opponent is higher level, but the biggest problem is being hopelessly penned in by onlookers. Village fistfights haven't gone much better - I got fed up with them after a round where some villager kept meandering back and forth across the ring and bitching when Geralt bumped into her.

Counter, then alternate heavy and fast attacks until they do their obvious windup attack that'll punch through your stagger. When they do that back up about two and half peoples lengths and heavy attack after theirs winds down. If that hits, apply pressure again, if they block it go back to countering. Rinse repeat as needed.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

MotherFUCKER!

I have a terrible internet connection in my new place and it's taken me leaving my computer on for a few days waiting for this to download. Finally get home today after work with only 30 mins left to download-- yay, I'm going to get to play it all weekend. NOPE. It get's to about 99%, I go get something to eat, come back and it's at 15%?!!!!!!!!! WHY STEAM WHY?

Any advice?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ewar Woowar posted:

MotherFUCKER!

I have a terrible internet connection in my new place and it's taken me leaving my computer on for a few days waiting for this to download. Finally get home today after work with only 30 mins left to download-- yay, I'm going to get to play it all weekend. NOPE. It get's to about 99%, I go get something to eat, come back and it's at 15%?!!!!!!!!! WHY STEAM WHY?

Any advice?

It's either just a patch or you're hosed. Given the apparent speed of your internet and that it's already at 15% I'd be inclined to assume patch.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

:laffo: if your geralt isn't a loving addict smoking rocks

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Orv posted:

It's either just a patch or you're hosed. Given the apparent speed of your internet and that it's already at 15% I'd be inclined to assume patch.
A new patch just came out today too.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Psiharis posted:

I feel like I'm missing something. Dodging goes about half the distance it does in normal combat and rolling is flat out gone. Now I'm in an event in Skellige where yes, my opponent is higher level, but the biggest problem is being hopelessly penned in by onlookers. Village fistfights haven't gone much better - I got fed up with them after a round where some villager kept meandering back and forth across the ring and bitching when Geralt bumped into her.
In addition to Orv's good advice, don't use the short dodge away from people. Dodge toward them and slightly to the side, which opens them up for immediate hits to their back. It'll also keep you from burning up too much of your ring space.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Orv posted:

But the parrying system works well. The health bar lights up to correspond with pressing the button, but it's not a single thing, human enemies do have different speeds of attacks and you can miss that parry if you do it for the wrong speed of attack. The short dodge is a fantastic addition, it allows you to get out from under charging blows and around the back side of enemies both human and monster. It gives you a very direct response option to situations in W2 where you'd see that sword coming and have no option because roll would tuck your heels into it. Signs are useful, Yrden aside, and good application of both Axii and Aard will change fights that you have no reasonable chance of winning. Walking slowly towards the last idiot with a crossbow and killing him with his own arrow is loving cool.

From my experience parrying is utterly worthless. It has absurdly tight timing which in combination with the fact that swings don't really have tells makes actually doing it really hard, and counterattacking doesn't seem to do more damage so there's rarely a reason not to just dodge to the side and then attack.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Orv posted:

Because in some ways it is. If as I currently suspect, the lock on doesn't actually control target, just your camera, that's a terrible, awful design decision. Sometimes when you pound on some guys shield they won't ever lose that last bar of stamina and it's not entirely obvious why. Monsters have a tendency to lock you into a stagger animation when there's a pack of them and that's pretty much game over, and the game likes to spawn those kinds of mosnters behind you as well as in front.

I don't know what you're doing when you play, I can't possibly understand you decision process or your skill level with the game, the latter of which is mostly unimportant. I don't think the combat is truly bad from a mechanical or a gameplay standpoint, and it's quite a bit more than "serviceable", issues aside, because everything has those.

I'm just saying, you said I was unilaterally deciding how the game works but that's not what I was trying to do. It seemed to me like you agreed that the game's combat wasn't that great but had gotten past that because you didn't really care. I just don't think something that isn't great should get a pass.

Like, it's totally fine. The parrying works as intended, you're right. You have options and it doesn't reward just blindly mashing the attack button, which is good. But I'm never going somewhere and excited to fight something. It's a means to an end, the downtime between dialog. When the special execution animations go off it's cool and I like it, but I don't feel like I earned it. Throwing a bomb at a group of people and blowing their upper torso off I can say I chose to do, but the executions? It's just flair.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm just saying, you said I was unilaterally deciding how the game works but that's not what I was trying to do. It seemed to me like you agreed that the game's combat wasn't that great but had gotten past that because you didn't really care. I just don't think something that isn't great should get a pass.

Like, it's totally fine. The parrying works as intended, you're right. You have options and it doesn't reward just blindly mashing the attack button, which is good. But I'm never going somewhere and excited to fight something. It's a means to an end, the downtime between dialog. When the special execution animations go off it's cool and I like it, but I don't feel like I earned it. Throwing a bomb at a group of people and blowing their upper torso off I can say I chose to do, but the executions? It's just flair.

I'll clarify that I genuinely think the combat is good, not that I've come to accept it, but my laissez faire approach definitely lets me ignore the blemishes, not that they aren't there.:shrug: Live and let etc.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Orv posted:

:shrug: Live and let etc.

Yup. I just wanted to explain what I'd meant before because you'd misunderstood my intent, then I figured I'd explain how I feel about the combat because I felt like I was coming off as saying it was terrible or whatever when I'm not.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I getcha, no worries. And now I need to sleep before we have another calm, considered discussion on SA, because I'm pretty sure I died earlier and I need to be sure.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

I genuinely like the combat too, and i also genuinely like the combat in ds 1 and bloodborne, and in monster hunter. So i dunno, different strokes?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Manatee Cannon posted:

You can use Axii on anyone (it's not even the only thing you can do, other signs and bombs are an option) but if you're predominantly in it for the swordplay then you just have to wait for a parry most of the time. It's lame and they're not fun to duel. Most human enemies aren't, which kinda hurts Ciri but at least she has her teleport backstab.

I feel like this might be part of your problem. What I especially like about the combat in this game is that signs, bombs and swordplay are all useful in their measure and are important parts of the whole. You really get a sense while playing that versatility is Geralt's greatest strength. If you don't like, or don't want to use, a major aspect of the combat system, then of course you won't like the combat.

Also, you can get around shields just by dodging into enemy attacks at close range. Geralt will pirouette around them and you can stab them in the back.

Orv
May 4, 2011

megalodong posted:

I also genuinely like the combat in... monster hunter.

Burn the witch.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Is there a way to get out of combat mode so I can quickly loot something with enemies nearby?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Comrade Flynn posted:

Is there a way to get out of combat mode so I can quickly loot something with enemies nearby?

Sheathe your sword and hope it agrees that you're out of combat.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If someone's hitting you in the face you probably aren't gonna be able to pick up that bandit's favorite spoon, but if they haven't noticed you yet you can sneak in and out pretty easy. I've got a bunch of early places of power out of the way like that.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I feel like they have the groundwork for a very good combat system and are most of the way, but there's some jankiness with the way Geralt moves that combines with his frailty to be pretty frustrating until you've mastered the system enough to work around the rough edges. You can pretty easily lose a fight on higher difficulties just because your roll out of a group of enemies clipped a barrel or some other random terrain decorations and Geralt's ability to get stuck on trivial obstacles is a big deal when getting caught up for a moment can cost half your health bar.

Part of the issue is probably also that it's a loving fantastic RPG in general that happens to have aRPG combat so you have a bunch of PC-exclusive people like me coming from more conventional RPGs and wondering why they're getting their poo poo pushed in trying to play Dark Souls Lite combat with a mouse and keyboard.

EDIT: I managed to rollspam my way through TW2 on not-a-bitch difficulties but I would not say I was particularly good at it.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I would say my full opinion on the combat but I legit enjoyed Witcher 2's and Alpha Protocol's combat so I think I'll stay out.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr E posted:

I would say my full opinion on the combat but I legit enjoyed Witcher 2's and Alpha Protocol's combat so I think I'll stay out.

Can you really call Chain Shot combat though.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Orv posted:

Can you really call Chain Shot combat though.

I also enjoyed the non-pistol combat that wasn't SMGs :getin:.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm still months away from being able to play this game (blah blah, money troubles), but would you guys say it is more Witcher 1 or Witcher 2 tonally? Witcher 1 had that really downtrodden, melancholy feel to it, while Witcher 2 was more twisted fairy tale. Or does Witcher 3 forgo this and do its own thing?

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Mr E posted:

I may actually play some more of this game I preordered tomorrow, is anyone far into the Sign tree and finding it good or should I respec?

It's really strong. For example, Igni has a 100% chance to set things on fire which is some crazy long AoE crowd control, while doing around half of the HP of enemies with green levels. This is in the hardest difficulty with no points put into igni, just a crazy amount of sign intensity.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm still months away from being able to play this game (blah blah, money troubles), but would you guys say it is more Witcher 1 or Witcher 2 tonally? Witcher 1 had that really downtrodden, melancholy feel to it, while Witcher 2 was more twisted fairy tale. Or does Witcher 3 forgo this and do its own thing?

Good news!(?) it mixes both in various parts of the world and various parts of the main quest.

Mr E posted:

I also enjoyed the non-pistol combat that wasn't SMGs :getin:.

Freak.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Switching powers mid-combat is smooth as hell

Press a button, flick the stick, press a button, done in less than a second

You can switch powers while parrying without even bringing up the quick select menu, too

I wish I didn't have to hit A on the radial menu to switch which Sign I was using. I want to hold down LB, flick the stick in the direction of the Sign I want, let go of LB, and have that Sign equipped. Somehow the extra A press is tripping me up a lot when I want to switch quickly.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Mr E posted:

AP's combat is one of the few combat system from a WRPG that I actually find fun so we can both be crazy together.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Orv saying to not lock on definitely helped the combat out somewhat. I don't even get what they were trying to accomplish with that lock on mechanic but the game plays better by just not using it for sure.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Confirming that my brief attempts at the lock mechanic have been utterly disastrous.

Highlight from the Wraith fight I'm still banging my head against: lock on to Wraith in an attempt to single out otherwise elusive targets for focusing. Targeted Wraith teleports away as a second wraith teleports behind me, attempting to attack the immediate threat results in Geralt turning his back to it and windmilling at the locked target across the courtyard.

Don't lock targets.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ragingsheep posted:

Comte, in the next patch, can you allow pausing on cutscenes?

Late, but that's weird if you can't do it on PC -- it works totally fine on the PS4 (and I'm gonna assume the Xbox) by pressing the button to bring up the associated homescreen

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah, don't lock on, just follow your intended target with the control stick.

Lock on is only useful if you're a few meters away from an enemy and need to quickly lob a bomb at them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Orv posted:

Good news!(?) it mixes both in various parts of the world and various parts of the main quest.

Sweet. Been reading the novels and while I do like the political stuff that comes in the main series, I really liked the skewed fairy tales from The Last Wish. What if Snow White was actually a crazy mercenary princess who may or may not be a mutant killer and her merry band of marauders?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
So what, exactly, does the Blizzard potion actually DO?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
haven't gotten a new continue screen since the end of the bloody baron's questline, weird.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Can you block monster attacks? Drowners hit me no matter what I try. Dodging's fine, but I'd like to counter them.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Mokinokaro posted:

You have the oil recipe. It's "specter oil."
Hahaha, drat I'm slow sometimes. I was totally misunderstanding the alchemy screen. I looked at specter oil, and because there were empty boxes, I thought that I must not know the formula yet, and those empty boxes would be filled in with more ingredients when I did. I didn't even realize I knew how to make all this poo poo already, and that potions might only have a couple of ingredients. I've just been wondering where all the recipes are, and assuming that I'd find them eventually. :downs:

Anyway, I just killed the specter without any specter oil on my second try--granted, I'm only on difficulty 2 out of 4, so no huge accomplishment. Just being conservative in combat and picking your shots is what helped me the most.

Elendil004 posted:

Anyone mapped the short dodge, normally Alt to something else? I never use alt in games so it feels unnatural
I typed way too many words last night about how to manually edit the controls--if you care, click the question mark at the bottom left of this post to get a list of my posts. Yes, the default controls are really cramped and not being able to remap everything is mind-blowing (and Alt is a terrible choice for anything). I moved everything just a bit more toward the middle of the keyboard, and swapped various things around (e.g. I'm using WERD for movement) and it feels a lot better to me now (I have the short dodge on "V").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I have never had a problem with the combat in this game but I play platinum games, which are probably the most complex and/or obtuse action games out there. I also do tend to get my poo poo kicked in a lot and die, but none of those deaths felt cheap to me. Like it's my own fault I died, not the designer's.