Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Admittedly, 2000/2003 Server and (to a lesser extent) 2008 Server have both given me the bad habit of RDPing into the box, precisely because the remote tools to manage them were dodgy or slow or incomplete. With 2012, most of my excuses are collapsing faster than the Larsen B ice shelf, so I need to step up my remote management game. It helps that we've finally been given the green light to update our management boxes from 2003 to 2012, so we can actually have the tools in a single area to manage things.

Still, it's rather annoying that Failover Cluster Manager is exceptionally version-specific about what it will and will not work for.

Roargasm posted:

I log into my workstation with domain admin because it makes RSAT easier to use :eng99:

...but at least I'm not that guy. :stare:

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I dunno I'm still liking RDP over most other things. Especially in this MSP environment where its 250+ servers over 10+ customers and half of the windows management tools wont work without DNS and DNS over VPN's (in the way we have them setup) is a bit of a pain in the dick. Also windows management tools managing different versions often sucks, a good example being Hyper-V manager on a Win7 or 2008 machine which can do just about fuckall with a 2012 Hyper-V server

I just have RDC Manager with all the servers organised by customer, its pretty easy just double clicking a server and doing a thing on it. Also yeah it's just habit

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 21, 2015

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ahdinko posted:

I dunno I'm still liking RDP over most other things. Especially in this MSP environment where its 250+ servers over 10+ customers and half of the windows management tools wont work without DNS and DNS over VPN's (in the way we have them setup) is a bit of a pain in the dick. Also windows management tools managing different versions often sucks, a good example being Hyper-V manager on a Win7 or 2008 machine which can do just about fuckall with a 2012 Hyper-V server

I just have RDC Manager with all the servers organised by customer, its pretty easy just double clicking a server and doing a thing on it. Also yeah it's just habit

Remote Desktop Connection manager is a loving great application. If you aren't using it, you are missing out.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Gyshall posted:

Whiteboards are great low tech that will never have a good digital high tech equivalent, discuss.

Agree.

When I want to represent three tier architecture for someone, drawing two squares, a barrel and two double-ended arrows on the wall will always be faster than a keyboard/mouse on a projected screen.

Edit: unless they've made a thing that allows me to trace my finger on a smart board to draw things. No dry-erase dust and half-erased whiteboards and printScreen ability would own.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 21, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Roargasm posted:

I log into my workstation with domain admin because it makes RSAT easier to use :eng99:

kill yourself now

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Sickening posted:

You are going to hate that commute but good luck just the same.

I commute to grapevine right now, and I hate *THAT* commute.

I'll either take the park-and-ride and DART (right at Pearl Street/arts district station) or ride my motorcycle down there.

I'm on to the final interview stage which includes a trip to Boston to meet with the corporate folks next Tuesday.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Even if it is just RSAT jealousy, I am no longer logging into my workstation with domain admin

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Sickening posted:

Remote Desktop Connection manager is a loving great application. If you aren't using it, you are missing out.

I only recently discovered this and it's pretty great.

I also recently learned that you can copy/paste files from your desktop into an RDP session, and that totally blew my mind.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I can count on one hand the number of clients that don't have local admin.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
mRemoteNG is also a good thing for multiple RDP connections.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gyshall posted:

mRemoteNG is also a good thing for multiple RDP connections.

I use Terminals personally. I like it because I can password it so when it opens if you don't have my credentials you can't get into it.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

What's so appealing about 8?

There are new hotkeys like win+x to get to frequently used functions. The default tools like rdp, copying files, and task manager work better. On 7 I would always use the connection manager instead of the stock rdp client but with 8 it's fine. Performance wise, 8 is a lot better if you are on a low end system. 8 boots up faster. Bitlocker is included with 8 pro compared to enterprise for 7, and hyper-v client is included with 8 pro. Native iso mounting. Native support for usb 3 instead of having to download manufacturer bloat.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

We have a couple of the Smart Lync Room Systems and a Crestron RL/Polycom CX8000, as well as Smart's new Kapp device and there are some snazzy features.

Kapp is monochromatic and connects only to power, using Bluetooth and your mobile device's internet connection to push the content to Smart's servers. It's got a QR code you can scan plus NFC for pretty quick pairing, and by default you can share with up to five people. It's more like an electronic version of a flip pad, and anyone you're sharing with can initiate snapshots,with everyone getting a snapshot at once if anyone triggers one.

The Lync Room System from Smart has their Interactive Sharing cable, and when coupled with their Meeting Pro software you can use a single computer with two boards, and two people can actively annotate over different parts of the same document on the two adjacent boards. There's also their Unbounded Whitespace, which is a plain without borders. It's like Minecraft for execs. They had to add a mini map because it's easy to get lost in Minority Report fantasies and throw your content off to the side. I'm certainly not arguing against traditional whiteboards, but the advances in collaboration in the last couple of years have resulted in some amazing technology.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

lampey posted:

Native iso mounting. Native support for usb 3 instead of having to download manufacturer bloat.

These are by far my two favourite things about 8.1 over 7.

The interface looks cleaner as well, and with a freeware start menu add-on you never have to touch the Metro UI or whatever they're calling it. Unless you need to do something with licenses, but you should probably be doing weird license poo poo from the command line.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

lampey posted:

There are new hotkeys like win+x to get to frequently used functions. The default tools like rdp, copying files, and task manager work better. On 7 I would always use the connection manager instead of the stock rdp client but with 8 it's fine. Performance wise, 8 is a lot better if you are on a low end system. 8 boots up faster. Bitlocker is included with 8 pro compared to enterprise for 7, and hyper-v client is included with 8 pro. Native iso mounting. Native support for usb 3 instead of having to download manufacturer bloat.

In addition to those features, I also really like the new windows copy dialog.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Agrikk posted:

Edit: unless they've made a thing that allows me to trace my finger on a smart board to draw things. No dry-erase dust and half-erased whiteboards and printScreen ability would own.

This does exist, I recently had one installed for one of my offices, but it's still not a great experience.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
PICK UP A loving PHONE HOLY poo poo MORONS

A director identified a "critical" production emergency (it was absolutely not critical), so he sent an email to myself and about 7 people at the manager, director, and even in one case, C level. In his defense, he marked it high importance, so it's oooobviously the most important email in the world. So an email goes out. Then half an hour later he replies again with how is this not fixed how it no one engaging etc etc etc. Then another director says this needs to be addressed. Then my director is like, team I am disappointed in our response to blah blah. Then the first person replies 15 minutes later saying that no one is working the issue still. At which point I finally see the email because oh my god, sometimes people are doing other things.

"I think the reason you're having trouble getting traction on this email is that no one has included the people who can actually perform the work. You've got me on it, but you don't have my team, as I've repeatedly stressed should be on any email to me. You don't have the NOC on this email, who actually performs this work. The only people on this email are those who can delegate the task, but there isn't even anyone on the email to delegate to. In the future, critical production emergencies need to route to our 24/7 NOC via phone call."

Jesus H christ, how hard is it to understand that IT builds the environment, we don't run it. We have an entire team who works around the clock to keep the lights on and our product functioning, I'm just the doof who bought the server and occasionally says "more storage please. here's a powershell script. migrating some servers." And since when did email because a valid means to communicate an emergency? B-b-but I marked it high importance. You gotta be kidding me.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

keseph posted:

Pissing me off: People who still obsessively RDP into servers in TYOOL 2015. E: Instead of using powershell remoting or literally any other remote server management tools.

A lot of Microsoft's tools only work properly when you're using an account that's bound to the domain in question, so until a single computer can be a member of multiple domains those of us who manage multiple clients are stuck using RDP. I don't want to be doing it, but I'm not aware of any better options.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

Roargasm posted:

web browsing as domain admin...yikes.

Whats wrong with ctrl+shift+right click, run as different user / administrator (depending on uac settings for user auth prompts)?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

poo poo pissing me off: ASAs don't support loopback interfaces.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This is our helpdesk every time they need to get in contact with a customer or escalate an issue to their line manager. Emailing into the ether, hoping a response comes back quickly.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

wolrah posted:

A lot of Microsoft's tools only work properly when you're using an account that's bound to the domain in question, so until a single computer can be a member of multiple domains those of us who manage multiple clients are stuck using RDP. I don't want to be doing it, but I'm not aware of any better options.

You missed the word "obsessively" in my post. It's a fine tool for crossing between environments that mandate a re-auth, like to a client domain or a PCI network. But if you've got 10 RDP windows open, each to a machine in the same local domain, each with a separate copy of something like SSMS open pointed only at the local server? That's the kind of behavior I'm talking about.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

psydude posted:

poo poo pissing me off: ASAs don't support loopback interfaces.

What do you need a loopback on an ASA for?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
remote management chat:

One of the core tenets of designing for the cloud is that if you have to SSH/RDP into an instance you have already lost.

Alas, I have not yet fully reached this nirvana and still RDP into my servers to do things. I have gotten better about setting up servers in such a way that I can stand them up from a half-baked AMI into an operating app/web server very quickly, but my CloudFormation/Chef/Puppet master is a loooong way off.

Until then my MMC.exe console will brim with RDP instances and my servers will not be core-only.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Prescription Combs posted:

Same reason why you would need it on a router or L3 switch: testing, troubleshooting, and peering.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Prescription Combs posted:

I've used a loopback as a dummy target for one end of a site-to-site VPN on an ISR before, so I could see how it might come in handy on an ASA.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

psydude posted:

Same reason why you would need it on a router or L3 switch: testing, troubleshooting, and peering.

Set the management-interface command to the interface you need to troubleshoot? You can generate traffic from an interface that way. Also, packet-tracer will bring up VPNs.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Gyshall posted:

Whiteboards are great low tech that will never have a good digital high tech equivalent, discuss.

Smartboards are a little too complicated but Microsoft has made this...

Microsoft Surface Hub

Sickening posted:

Seconded, greatest thing ever. I made a powershell script that iteriates through all my servers and creates a RDP Group. Superslick.

While GUIs are neat the best practice is Server Core / Powershell.

lampey posted:

Everything you've said is true but all of this isn't enough to make me upgrade to 8.x. The Metro interface is incredibly jarring espeically if you have more than 20-30 users it becomes a support nightmare.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
What changed in the RDP client between 7 and 8.1? I can't say I noticed any difference at all.

J
Jun 10, 2001

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

A director identified a "critical" production emergency (it was absolutely not critical), so he sent an email

But I bet if a printer stopped working somewhere he would have picked up the phone, am I right?? :haw:

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

You know the day is off to a great start when you stand in front of the coffee machine and think "Now what am I doing?" While looking blankly at the buttons.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

This is our helpdesk every time they need to get in contact with a customer or escalate an issue to their line manager. Emailing into the ether, hoping a response comes back quickly.

We had a very remote site drop one day, I was busy dealing with something more important and asked the help desk to collect contact info from this site while I was busy on something else. I figured they could manage this, and went back to fixing another issue. About an hour later, I finally get time to look into this, and I see the site is still down. I ask the help desk person if they got ahold of someone. They said they had emailed them multiple times, and hadn't heard back.

I asked them how they are supposed to read those emails, and the help desk person went quiet. They hung up and started calling around, got contact info for someone there, found out the location had no power since some dipshit drove a truck into a pole. I later found out that this HD'er then spent time trying to get someone in our email group to retract the emails that they had sent to the user so they wouldn't look like a dipshit.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CitizenKain posted:

I later found out that this HD'er then spent time trying to get someone in our email group to retract the emails that they had sent to the user so they wouldn't look like a dipshit.

HAHAHAHA

REQUEST DENIED! Please submit a Change Request to the Change Review Board to make a change on an active system in the production environment. Please include the testing plan for deleting emails and logs from the test environment. Please have CR form signed by the stakeholder and your immediate supervisor. The Review Board meets every Wednesday from 1:00 PM to 2:30 PM. Be prepared to answer questions regarding this Change Request.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Varkk posted:

You know the day is off to a great start when you stand in front of the coffee machine and think "Now what am I doing?" While looking blankly at the buttons.
I did that this morning with the entry door keypad. Tag, brain fart, stare blankly at the keypad for five seconds. Oh yeah, PIN.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I check the last 4 digits of my card at the datacenter every time I go there, so that I know what to key in on the pad. The numbers have been 0513 for 3 years, but I still look every time because I can't remember unless I'm doing anything but walking up to that door.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This. Powershell is awesome and incredibly useful, but there are some things that are just easier for me to do through RDP on to the machine. This might be sacrilege even but if I only have to edit or create one or two users in AD and exchange I don't use Powershell. Please forgive me!

Isn't creating a user a thing you do pretty regularly and worth scripting?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
People still fall for this poo poo in 2015:

It's always the same people too

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The numbers have been 0513 for 3 years, but I still look every time because I can't remember unless I'm doing anything but walking up to that door.

Weird, I have the same code on my luggage.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Potato Alley posted:

Weird, I have the same code on my luggage.

Please don't post my PIN number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

dissss posted:

People still fall for this poo poo in 2015:

It's always the same people too

What's most odd about that to me is that it's not tripping Firefox/Chrome's "hey dumbass, this is a phishing site" warnings. :psyduck: