Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Bardeh posted:

If you're a sex noob, you'll want to make sure you have protection with Quen. If you're pro like me, you just go in without. Keeps things spicy. Also, make sure to coat your weapon with various oils at all times. Really makes things easier.

Axii :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

dud root posted:

Only played for a couple of hours but its hot as balls so far. Only annoying thing is having to mash escape multiple times to get out of the inventory/journal, and if you're moving the mouse then it overrides escape.

Yeah, I fuckin' hate that. it's lazy.

But just press the same key that got you there, instead. 'i' to get into the inventory screen, 'i' to get back to playing right away.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

randombattle posted:

Just whip it out and spray it all over everyone's faces. As long as you have the stamina it's a great finisher.

:laffo:

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

Poetic Justice posted:

Just had sex.

I always read the thread title as The Witcher: Wild oval office

Makes more sense to me that way.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
This is pretty early in the game, but there's a dude in a cage north of Mulbrydale (the village you start at) and I can't seem to find the key for him anywhere around. Is it related to some quest later on? I kinda need a merchant if he is one.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Delacroix posted:

It won't let you take screenshots through the steam overlay either and I can't even use my global keybinds, the game is weird like that. I wanted to take a screen shot of a field covered in dead sheep. Livestock in some areas respawn instantly, it's actually pretty profitable considering how much hides sell for.

It works fine for me?

Pictured: A sexy hunk of meat.

I also have fraps but I keep forgetting to put the dang thing on.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 22, 2015

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The Novigrad general zone is such a stark contrast to Velen, it's kind of shocking. Just a small river away people are dying of hunger, witches abduct children and ancient eldritch things roam. In Novigrad it's way more about the human monsters. I expected I'd be feeling burnout by now, I've basically done nothing since Monday but play Witcher 3, but every quest is at least somewhat unique, so it never really gets boring. It's great.

I was initially a little disappointed when I went to all the notice boards in Novigrad and noticed a distinct lack of quests, but then I realized most quests in Novigrad are just from wandering about. Makes sense, less of a need for a Witcher Contract in such a civilized area. And I haven't even touched Skellinge.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Novigrad and Velen are on the same area map, right?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Game's great fun, looks beautiful, is really well written but the combat system is still hosed. The game will change your moves depending on how far you are from the enemy. Close it's just a slash but with any distance you'll do a pirouette with huge (1 second) windup and no invincibility frames. There's no way to choose which attack you want to like in Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma. So most of the time you'll be pirouetting around because all the enemies move all the time. Also, there's very little (if any) inv frames in both dodges (that armored elf with huge fuckoff axe would take a chunk of my vitality every time I dodged him). I don't know, am I supposed to use Quen all the time again?

One more thing that's constantly pissing me off is the stagger mechanic. Attacks can still stagger even if blocked or parried. This leads to both me and the Drowners standing like dorks after I timed the parry right and I'm just waiting who will wake up first. Most of the time it's them. Also, people who said that this game needs a guard breaker were on point. A guy with a shield means you'll damage your sword trying to fight him when he's just blocking constantly. It's weird how little combat has changed since W2.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Arglebargle III posted:

Novigrad and Velen are on the same area map, right?

Yes, right across the river from each other. Makes the difference even more remarkable. I'd say it's incredibly realistic in how unrealistic it is... If that makes sense. It seems like a totally human thing to do to completely ignore the problems happening right across the river.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Terminally Bored posted:

One more thing that's constantly pissing me off is the stagger mechanic. Attacks can still stagger even if blocked or parried. This leads to both me and the Drowners standing like dorks after I timed the parry right and I'm just waiting who will wake up first. Most of the time it's them. Also, people who said that this game needs a guard breaker were on point. A guy with a shield means you'll damage your sword trying to fight him when he's just blocking constantly. It's weird how little combat has changed since W2.

The Igni alternate might do the trick for you. I've yet to meet a guy who doesn't drop his shield after blasting him with it.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

If I drop some poo poo on the ground will it stay there? I want to get rid of these books and letters but I'm too much of a packrat to just sell them to some random merchant.

Is there anything special i can do with monster trophies ala Witcher 1 or should i Just sell the ones I don't want?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Just got the game is there a big day 1 patch (pc)?

e- thanks

Jippa fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 22, 2015

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
^^There is a not-optional "Day One" patch (1.02) and 1.03 was released today. Both are about 300MB.

The 1.03 patch reset some of my graphics settings. So if you're suddenly experiencing amazing framerates, make sure your textures aren't set to Low. :P

That being said, it did polish up my FPS a bit and the game seems less crash-prone. I think using Fullscreen and not alt-tabbing to say things in IRC helped with that too.

e. Another PSA: Lady Blacksmith in Crow's Nest (or whatever that town Not-Robert-Baratheon lives in is called) sells saddlebags that give you +70 to inventory. It's 300something crowns, iirc.

Archimago fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 22, 2015

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
I'm enjoying this game but is there any mod to get rid of durability? It's really obnoxious.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

This guy.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Terminally Bored posted:

Also, there's very little (if any) inv frames in both dodges (that armored elf with huge fuckoff axe would take a chunk of my vitality every time I dodged him).
There are plenty, you can see in combat log messages something hits you for 0 when you dodge through it, so git gud scrub etc.

Terminally Bored posted:

A guy with a shield means you'll damage your sword trying to fight him when he's just blocking constantly.

Even loading tips suggest using signs on those, Axii will make him drop the guard, Igni and Aard would probably work too. If you insist on fair fights you can wait out till he decides to attack.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Demiurge4 posted:

Okay so I'm missing a few normal versions of a bunch of potions and bombs and have no idea where to find them. I have the enhanced and superior recipes for them and I'm wondering if maybe I missed the recipe's in a dungeon or a merchant somewhere. I originally assumed they were random drops but I've stopped seeing any schematics a long time ago, are they in White Orchard somewhere out of the way?

I'm missing stuff like Petri's Philter, Dragonpuff and Samum among others.

I found Petri's filter in one of the cannibal camps around where you go with Keira Metz

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
Serious Question: Are you guys like, smashing rocks with your swords or something? I just played for several hours and did lots of questing and repaired all my poo poo once...maybe twice in that time and I think it cost me 100-200 crowns. Is it kind of silly? Maybe a bit, but it sounds like some of you are constantly running to blacksmiths and for me that's not the case and it's not obnoxious enough to detract from the game. Also, there's repair kits. I have gobs of the things but I never use them because I forget about them.

One dude said he wore out his swords in one dungeon?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I have no idea what sorcery CDPR did but the game went from nigh unplayable up to 38-50 FPS for me on my rig which is impressive considering my video card. I hope the next patch won't ruin that for me.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Pyromancer posted:

There are plenty, you can see in combat log messages something hits you for 0 when you dodge through it, so git gud scrub etc.

I don't know, I beat Dark Souls twice having learned to parry everyone so either I got old and my timing's off or axemen will gently caress you up even if you dodge them properly.

Pyromancer posted:

Even loading tips suggest using signs on those, Axii will make him drop the guard, Igni and Aard would probably work too. If you insist on fair fights you can wait out till he decides to attack.

I'll try upgrading the igni sign then.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Vanderdeath posted:

I have no idea what sorcery CDPR did but the game went from nigh unplayable up to 38-50 FPS for me on my rig which is impressive considering my video card. I hope the next patch won't ruin that for me.

They turned texture quality to low ;) Don't obsess over it and just enjoy the newfound performance.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Vanderdeath posted:

Patch probably reset your texture quality to low and you didn't change it back, it does that

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Have I hosed myself out the Gwent quest/trophy if the ending to the Baron's storyline is suicide? I read on some trophy forums that there are some dupe cards so I'm hoping I can still get tat cleared away in this playthrough.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

Archimago posted:

Serious Question: Are you guys like, smashing rocks with your swords or something? I just played for several hours and did lots of questing and repaired all my poo poo once...maybe twice in that time and I think it cost me 100-200 crowns. Is it kind of silly? Maybe a bit, but it sounds like some of you are constantly running to blacksmiths and for me that's not the case and it's not obnoxious enough to detract from the game. Also, there's repair kits. I have gobs of the things but I never use them because I forget about them.

I feel like I need to repair my sword every half hour and have worn out my sword whilst going through a dungeon. Maybe it is me but then I really have no time for durability or weight mechanics they just seem so unnecessary.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Archimago posted:

Getting parried and hitting shields damage your swords, probably hitting elementals and trolls too. Not sure if blade oils counter that somewhat when bashing a rock elemental, a good way to mitigate gear damage is to not get hit and use ripostes to fight humans. If you just wail on a guy who keeps parrying your damaging your sword.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Poetic Justice posted:

They turned texture quality to low ;) Don't obsess over it and just enjoy the newfound performance.

Pyromancer posted:

Patch probably reset your texture quality to low and you didn't change it back, it does that

Oh, hah, that would be it then. Still can't complain since it looks good.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Is the ghost lamp used anywhere else?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
For the record the first disc of the pc install shouldn't be taking 75 mins should it?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
poo poo fistfighting multiple enemies is fuckin hard

edit: seriously though hardest fight so far in 45 hours of this game to save paying 70 crowns to hell with that I'll just pay you pricks

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 09:19 on May 22, 2015

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

This game really does control like an assload of gently caress... loving Noodle Legs Geralt. Hate it.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I love Garralt tripping over his shoelaces to do a lunging ballet sword attack, falling a few inches short, and getting popped in the ear by some poo poo that you can barely see due to this games Nintendo 64 graphics.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I love how looting a cabinet that is near a candle requires as much fine analog control as aiming a scoped sniper rifle.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

net cafe scandal posted:

I love how looting a cabinet that is near a candle requires as much fine analog control as aiming a scoped sniper rifle.

I'm sorry you can't RPG and instead feel the need to constantly 360 noscope in this renowned wide open world roleplaying game

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

net cafe scandal posted:

I love Garralt tripping over his shoelaces to do a lunging ballet sword attack, falling a few inches short, and getting popped in the ear by some poo poo that you can barely see due to this games Nintendo 64 graphics.

gently caress candles though.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
So, is there ever any reason to use a roll instead of just a dodge?

Poetic Justice posted:

I'm sorry you can't RPG and instead feel the need to constantly 360 noscope in this renowned wide open world roleplaying game

He is right thought, it's almost impossible to loot some cabinets because you keep turning on and off the candle on it.

rocode
Oct 28, 2011

Meddle not with Mother Nature, lest you face her wrath.

Zaggitz posted:

Have I hosed myself out the Gwent quest/trophy if the ending to the Baron's storyline is suicide? I read on some trophy forums that there are some dupe cards so I'm hoping I can still get tat cleared away in this playthrough.

Check the box at the back of his office.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
Anyone else playing this on pc with a ds4? I saw in another thread that someone had bound swipe up to open the map (m) and swipe down for inventory(i), but when I set that up in ds4windows and tried it in the game it doesn't do anything. I also tried to bind it to clicking in the touchpad but that also didn't work.

The weird thing was that when I had the clicking touchpad set to the default left mouse click it worked, it seems to only be the keyboard shortcuts that don't respond. I noticed in the ingame keybindings that m and i and a few others have locks next to them and you cant rebind them, seems like that might be related?

Anyways, anyone else happen to get this working?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

GrossMurpel posted:

He is right thought, it's almost impossible to loot some cabinets because you keep turning on and off the candle on it.

I don't have that problem, maybe learn how to move your mouse/thumbstick with some grace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

So, is there ever any reason to use a roll instead of just a dodge?

Fiends, cockatrices, royal griffins, all have big sweeps you can't dodge sideways from, always roll back from it. Fiends especially because they have a charge and you have to roll to the side to avoid it.