Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

I got a storm glass for my birthday, and the instructions said that to make it do its thing you first heat it up with a hair dryer so the crystals dissolve, then leave it to sit for about a week and in that time it should start to change to reflect the weather. I realise it doesn't actually work to predict the weather as originally claimed, but it should change appearance from day to day. What actually happens is it just gets a bunch of crystals sitting in the bottom and they stay there forever. Anyone know what's wrong with it? Is it just defective or something?

Is it generally the same temperature where you keep it? The thing only measures temperature (not the weather) if it's working correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

tuyop posted:

Is it generally the same temperature where you keep it? The thing only measures temperature (not the weather) if it's working correctly.

Would it not also react to air pressure? Otherwise it's just a thermometer.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

bvoid posted:

Would it not also react to air pressure? Otherwise it's just a thermometer.

It's just a thermometer.

quote:

An article in the Journal of Crystal Growth concluded that temperature change is the sole cause of crystal growth in storm glasses.[3]

Cecil Adams performed informal experiments with a storm glass and found that the success of prediction was no better than random probability.[4]

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

tuyop posted:

It's just a thermometer.

Oh. At least it looks cool.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Incidentally, if you're after neat thermometers in general try one like this:

The style is generally called a "Gallileo Thermometer", and the device works by having slightly different mixtures in each of the balls with a tag holding a temperature on it. As the overall temperature of the devices rises or falls, the balls ascend or descend in a consistent order, with the ones on top being calibrated for ahigher temperature than current, the ones on bottom not cold enough yet, and the one or two in the middle showing the temperature or that it's between two.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

tuyop posted:

It's in my livingroom, so the temperature has mostly been between 10°C and 20°C. The instructions I got with it say it should work from about 5°C to 30°C, so I don't think that's the problem.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I just got a Facebook message from a person I lived with in college six or seven years ago. I only lived with her along with two other room mates and it was fine and normal. The message was that they are applying for a government job and the job needs to do background checks on everyone they've ever lived with. They asked for my DOB, city I was born in, where I live and work now and addresses of both, and phone number. She used my nickname, signed her name and gave her cell which is a local number so I think it's really her asking, but it still seems really weird. I haven't spoken to her in years and have no clue what she's up to. Firstly, is this legit, and secondly, if it is, can I opt out? It's the government, can't they just look this stuff up instead of me giving all my personal info to her?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
It's probably legit, though they're not really doing a background check on you, but on her, so they might briefly interview you.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Basically they'll ask you if she is sane and/or a terrorist but in a bit more polite language.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Koivunen posted:

I just got a Facebook message from a person I lived with in college six or seven years ago. I only lived with her along with two other room mates and it was fine and normal. The message was that they are applying for a government job and the job needs to do background checks on everyone they've ever lived with. They asked for my DOB, city I was born in, where I live and work now and addresses of both, and phone number. She used my nickname, signed her name and gave her cell which is a local number so I think it's really her asking, but it still seems really weird. I haven't spoken to her in years and have no clue what she's up to. Firstly, is this legit, and secondly, if it is, can I opt out? It's the government, can't they just look this stuff up instead of me giving all my personal info to her?

Well, if you're worried it's not her you could just call.

Otherwise, yeah, governments do this thing.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I read that non-Muslims are not allowed in Mecca. What would happen to a non-Muslim who gets caught in Mecca?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

I read that non-Muslims are not allowed in Mecca. What would happen to a non-Muslim who gets caught in Mecca?

From this http://life-in-saudiarabia.blogspot.co.at/2014/10/punishment-for-non-muslims-for-entering.html

quote:

Punishment for Non-Muslims for Entering to Makkah and Madina
If a Non-Muslim is caught by the authorities in the Holy Cities of Makkah and Madina, he will be presented in front of Judge who will decide his punishment. Punishment will depend upon the scenario in which he is caught. If he is caught planning to do anything to defame Islam or any other activity against Islam, he may be sentenced to death. If he is just found doing something else with not a malicious intention, he can be left. But in any case, whenever a Non-Muslim is caught from Makkah or Madina, he will be deported with lifetime ban. Deportation and lifetime ban is the minimum penalty for such Non-Muslim who enters to Makkah and Madina.

It's a shame because I would really like to see it in person but I cannot.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How do actors deal with movie roles with characters that smoke? Do you just not take the role if the character smokes but you don't? Are there prop cigarettes?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

How do actors deal with movie roles with characters that smoke? Do you just not take the role if the character smokes but you don't? Are there prop cigarettes?

There are prop cigarettes even for actors who smoke. Sometimes you have to do a scene like twelve times, so you'd smoke so many cigarettes that you actually puke (see the Wikipedia page for Mad Men, for instance).

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Koivunen posted:

I think you can opt out, but it's like 15 minutes to talk to the g-man. When I did this last year my friend didn't ask me for any of that DOB stuff.

If its legit the person doing the background check on your friend will have government id with them when you meet them.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

tuyop posted:

There are prop cigarettes even for actors who smoke. Sometimes you have to do a scene like twelve times, so you'd smoke so many cigarettes that you actually puke (see the Wikipedia page for Mad Men, for instance).

Well, they're herbal cigarettes, but the actors are still smoking something in that particular case.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

DNova posted:

From this http://life-in-saudiarabia.blogspot.co.at/2014/10/punishment-for-non-muslims-for-entering.html

It's a shame because I would really like to see it in person but I cannot.

You could convert.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
What's the best way of cleaning dirt from a sole like this?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What's the difference between a cd and cd-rom?

edit: what does the scroll lock key do?

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 21, 2015

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Kurtofan posted:

What's the difference between a cd and cd-rom?

edit: what does the scroll lock key do?

CD's are the "compact disk" media. CD-ROMs are CD's that have data encoded on them according to the ECMA-130 standard.

Back when computers were mostly text command-lines, the scroll lock key would "pause" text being printed to the screen, giving the user a chance to stop and read it if it were being printed too quickly.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
the scroll look would also change the function of the arrow keys in certain programs, from moving the cursor between lines to scrolling trough the text.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Disharmony posted:

What's the best way of cleaning dirt from a sole like this?

I've heard that a Mr Clean Magic Eraser works well on some shoe soles. Never tried it though.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There was a thread that was PYF Ringtone or something to that effect and I can't find it. Looked in PYF and IYG to no avail. I don't really need the thread, I was just looking for a link to a website that let you search and download ringtones by just typing in terms. For instance once upon a time I was able to set my text tone to the Cardassian doorbell sound from DS9 by searching "DS9." Anyone have the thread or ringtone site handy?

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009

Droid Washington posted:

There was a thread that was PYF Ringtone or something to that effect and I can't find it. Looked in PYF and IYG to no avail. I don't really need the thread, I was just looking for a link to a website that let you search and download ringtones by just typing in terms. For instance once upon a time I was able to set my text tone to the Cardassian doorbell sound from DS9 by searching "DS9." Anyone have the thread or ringtone site handy?

Nobody does personalized text/ring tones anymore grandpa. Get with the times!!

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Werner-Boogle posted:

Nobody does personalized text/ring tones anymore grandpa. Get with the times!!

Everyone uses default ringtones? That sounds loving boring. I'd still like a link.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Droid Washington posted:

Everyone uses default ringtones? That sounds loving boring. I'd still like a link.

Have you tried just searching for the wav file of the tone you want and just setting that? My phone SMS tone is the Murloc aggro noise and that wasn't exactly hard to put in place. A quick search shows me this website has a bunch of ST noises.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have an aux cable hooked up to my headphones but I want to use them as a headset on my computer, is there something that does the opposite of this:

http://www.amazon.com/Conwork-Headp...crophone+joiner

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Turtlicious posted:

I have an aux cable hooked up to my headphones but I want to use them as a headset on my computer, is there something that does the opposite of this:

http://www.amazon.com/Conwork-Headp...crophone+joiner
http://www.amazon.com/s/field-keywords=Headphone+Microphone+splitter

Intermixed with the joiners, you'll find several splitters. It's difficult though, because iirc not all headsets use the same pinout.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just unearthed a bunch of digsby Facebook logs from a few years back, but digsby didn't have the grace to store contacts' names - they're just ########_fbchat. Is there any way to figure out which of my friends the various numbers correspond to?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

hooah posted:

I just unearthed a bunch of digsby Facebook logs from a few years back, but digsby didn't have the grace to store contacts' names - they're just ########_fbchat. Is there any way to figure out which of my friends the various numbers correspond to?

Assuming it's their facebook id (which it probably is), just go facebook.com/<number>

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, great; I didn't know if they disassociated the numbers with accounts now that most people have some form of their name in their url.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Droid Washington posted:

Download audacity, and you can turn anything you can find on youtube into a ringtone pretty drat quick.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
edit: nvm, figured it out!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

hooah posted:

Ok, great; I didn't know if they disassociated the numbers with accounts now that most people have some form of their name in their url.

They have mostly user-side but everything still has numbers that you can get to.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
Question: I seem to remember there being a "request a small program" thread at some point where people would write little utilities but I can't seem to find it anywhere? I have an incredibly mundane and time consuming task for a volunteer job that could be automated incredibly easy but my programming skills are way too rusty to tackle it myself.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

How long should it be between someone "fixing it" and the new SSL certificate for a website being used instead of the old?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

mirthdefect posted:

How long should it be between someone "fixing it" and the new SSL certificate for a website being used instead of the old?

Immediately. SSL connections have to be negotiated at the beginning of every session; there's no propagation delay like there is with DNS.

If your SSL certificate was "fixed" by them booting up a new server, with a new IP and the new cert, and then pointing the existing DNS record at the new server, it could take up to a few hours for the DNS changes to propagate.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Gravity Pike posted:

Immediately. SSL connections have to be negotiated at the beginning of every session; there's no propagation delay like there is with DNS.

If your SSL certificate was "fixed" by them booting up a new server, with a new IP and the new cert, and then pointing the existing DNS record at the new server, it could take up to a few hours for the DNS changes to propagate.

Nope, replacing an expired one on a live client-facing site. My boss is just a fuckwit and I suspect he has been emailed the new one to apply it, but thinks the whole thing is done through GoDaddy's control panel despite him having to do this a mere 3 weeks ago when another client-facing site started throwing our customers massive security warnings because he hadn't renewed stuff.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

Question: I seem to remember there being a "request a small program" thread at some point where people would write little utilities but I can't seem to find it anywhere? I have an incredibly mundane and time consuming task for a volunteer job that could be automated incredibly easy but my programming skills are way too rusty to tackle it myself.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2415898

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b2n
Dec 29, 2005
Does anyone know a good website for restaurant reviews, that also includes average meal price?
I'll make a trip to Vegas soon and I want to eat well (but not spend hundreds of bucks at the same time)