Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

muscles like this? posted:

Alan Rickman's ghost who was sitting next to regular Alan Rickman.

Totally unfazed, too.

This season has has great from top to bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
And we're gettin' a first glimpse of Rupert Murdoch's new Robocop body

Here's to many more years on top Rupe

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if they're going to top Urkules this season, but that was a great little line-up.

Also I'm digging this thing where if he can't fit a character into either main plot they get their own C-plot that's almost entirely one shot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was trying to think where I first saw Amy Schumer in something and then it hit me, she played Eugene Mirman's girlfriend in the Adult Swim show Delocated. Which just reminded me of how funny that show was and how its a shame that Jon Glaser has never really hit it big.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I was trying to think where I first saw Amy Schumer in something and then it hit me, she played Eugene Mirman's girlfriend in the Adult Swim show Delocated. Which just reminded me of how funny that show was and how its a shame that Jon Glaser has never really hit it big.

Jon Glaser's character on Parks and Rec was consistently one of the funniest secondary characters that show ever had and I watched Delocated because of it. He deserves better.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jon Benjamin has a funny story about how he and Jon Glaser got their start together when they both got hired for (I believe it was) The Jenny McCarthy Show. They quickly learned that nobody actually paid any attention to them so they started writing and filming their own sketches with Brian Posehn.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Someone should make a Wayward Pines thread.

Also the first book is on sale on Amazon for the rest of the month.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Someone should make a Wayward Pines thread.

Also the first book is on sale on Amazon for the rest of the month.

I was just looking for the thread - I'm watching it for the first time tonight (started with the encore of the premiere earlier). Neat, weird little show so far.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Assuming they keep the twist from the books (and they will, because it's a Shyamalan twist for sure) you should bail, and quickly.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

corn in the bible posted:

Assuming they keep the twist from the books (and they will, because it's a Shyamalan twist for sure) you should bail, and quickly.

Alright I'll bite since I have no interest in watching the show, what is the plot and twist in the book?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

piratepilates posted:

Alright I'll bite since I have no interest in watching the show, what is the plot and twist in the book?

there's a fence around the town because outside of it, it's the future! the town is in the future, and monsters have taken over the world! what a twist

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

it's a Shyamalan twist for sure

It's been over ten years since Shyamalan made a movie with a twist in it. At this point the number of movies he's directed without twists outnumber the ones with twists almost two to one.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sleeveless posted:

It's been over ten years since Shyamalan made a movie with a twist in it. At this point the number of movies he's directed without twists outnumber the ones with twists almost two to one.

i mean that it's incredibly stupid, like all of his twists were, i am well aware that he does not always include a twist thank you

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

After Earth looked like a Will Smith movie but the twist was that it's about his lovely son.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the twist of the happening was that it released in theaters

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hey guys, if you're looking to kill a half hour, go look up tonight's episode of The Comedians, "Billy's Birthday." I'm gonna try to forego the hyperbole here; it was just a lovely, low-key show about two guys from different generations bonding with each other, and Billy Crystal gets a cool little "Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler" moment midway through. It's a side of the show that I want to see more of.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

there's a fence around the town because outside of it, it's the future! the town is in the future, and monsters have taken over the world! what a twist

Hahaha What?? How does this work in the show if they are showing people outside the wall? Is that addressed in the books?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Hahaha What?? How does this work in the show if they are showing people outside the wall? Is that addressed in the books?

all those people are in our present but whenever they "enter the town" they're really being cryogenically frozen for thousands of years and then put into the town. what a shocking denouement right, who could have predicted it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

it's like if the answer to who killed laura palmer was just, nobody because a ghost did it

oh wait

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

all those people are in our present but whenever they "enter the town" they're really being cryogenically frozen for thousands of years and then put into the town. what a shocking denouement right, who could have predicted it
It's all just all so loving far off from anything I would have been able to imagine. There is literally no way anybody could see that coming and I do not mean that in a good way whatsoever. Hahahahaha holy poo poo.

That twist would have been great if they ended LOST that way though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

It's all just all so loving far off from anything I would have been able to imagine. There is literally no way anybody could see that coming and I do not mean that in a good way whatsoever. Hahahahaha holy poo poo.

right? it's like the kind of thing you'd make up as a joke, but it's real.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sleeveless posted:

The ones with the twists were the better ones too.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

it doesn't matter who keyser soze was because the police station is a holodeck and they're really on a spaceship

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Every TV show should end with Matthew Fox being shaken awake by Terry O'Quinn yelling, "WE'RE STILL ON THE ISLAND, JACK!"

(My brother and I wanted Alias to end like that.)

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

right? it's like the kind of thing you'd make up as a joke, but it's real.

Jeez, a few pages back I ranted against Wayward Pines because it's one of those Mystery shows like Lost or BSG, and it's being made by Shyamalan, the king of stupid twist endings. I didn't even realize it was based on a book, I just assumed it was another one of those shows where they just keep answering questions with more questions until it gets cancelled, and then just give a massive info dump in the last two episodes that nobody likes. I'm glad my skepticism was somewhat justified.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:39 on May 22, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nerds... the supergirl pilot leaked.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

thrakkorzog posted:

Jeez, a few pages back I ranted against Wayward Pines because it's one of those Mystery shows like Lost or BSG, and it's being made by Shyamalan, the king of stupid twist endings. I didn't even realize it was based on a book, I just assumed it was another one of those shows where they just keep answering questions with more questions until it gets cancelled, and then just give a massive info dump in the last two episodes that nobody likes. I'm glad my skepticism was somewhat justified.

Again though, this is the complete opposite of that. This twist actually explains every single question raised in a 'logical' manner. It's also not a case of IT WAS THE FUTURE ALL ALONG DUN DUN DUH, The End. It happens 2/3 way through the first book in a trilogy.

I'm not saying it's a good twist, it's crazy and will definitely cause some people to turn off, but it provides definitive answers to every mystery raised up to that point. Which is the antithesis of answering one question with four more like Lost and its rip-offs did.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

it doesn't matter who keyser soze was because the police station is a holodeck and they're really on a spaceship
This explains why Moriarty keeps trying to kill Tyler Durden.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rocksicles posted:

And is it as hokey and cheesy as the previews implied it would be?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yo, Hannibal is back in less than two weeks.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rocksicles posted:

I'm always very dubious of pilot leaks, most of them are almost assuredly intentional. There was a lot of bad buzz on the trailer and I'm guessing this "leak" is basically going to be their focus testing. And from what I've read about the reactions to the full pilot, it seems to be pretty much in line with the reactions to the trailer.

EDIT: Oh, it leaked in 1080p too? No way that wasn't intentional. Pilots don't just leak in 1080p. Movies don't even really leak in 1080p.

X-O fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 22, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It airs in 1080i so to even be in 1080p seems intentional.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

So I watched the Supergirl pilot and it was... fine. Certainly not as glib as the first look trailer looked, but it's still a bit goofy, in a Flash kind of way.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 22, 2015

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

piratepilates posted:

From tonight's episode they're apparently diverting from the books already. I just hope the twist actually stays in. If they do, the tone of the later episode of this show will be completely different.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deadpool posted:

I'm always very dubious of pilot leaks, most of them are almost assuredly intentional. There was a lot of bad buzz on the trailer and I'm guessing this "leak" is basically going to be their focus testing. And from what I've read about the reactions to the full pilot, it seems to be pretty much in line with the reactions to the trailer.

EDIT: Oh, it leaked in 1080p too? No way that wasn't intentional. Pilots don't just leak in 1080p. Movies don't even really leak in 1080p.

Not just 1080p, but a 45 min 7.5 gig 1080p file... thats some seriousness.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 22, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I watched the Supergirl pilot and while I would not call it good it's nowhere near as horrible as the trailer made it out to be. What's weird is the effects look so much better than they did in the trailer that I don't believe for a second they polished them up that much in a week. That means they used unfinished effects in the trailer when the finished effects were probably ready to go. The plane rescue is actually quite amazing for a TV budget. Even on a major network like CBS.

The biggest downside is that if you were to look at the dialogue in this episode you would think the main character of the show was "her cousin" because nobody ever shuts the gently caress about "him" at all. They say "his" name once in the intro and only refer to "him" like I am now for the rest of the episode. It's annoying as hell. Also he's been around for over a decade at least in this universe as he was already doing his thing as a superhero when Kara arrived as a child on Earth. How they're going to avoid using him on the show is certain to become distracting as there's no reason at all why he shouldn't be able to pop at to even just say hello to his cousin. I struggled not type out his name just in those few sentences, I don't know how they wrote that whole episode doing it. At one point Cat Grant refers to him as The Superlative Man. Talk about jumping through hoops.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Are you talking about Moleculo, the Molecular Man?!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

Are you talking about Moleculo, the Molecular Man?!

Tu eres Moleculo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Tu eres Moleculo!

plop!

• Locked thread