Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

By the way, does anyone know what Reborn's author is writing now (if she's writing anything)? I found something talking about some "elDLIVE" series, but I can't find out whether it's still ongoing.
she did character designs for psycho-pass, if that counts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
eIDLIVE runs in Jump SQ, so it's a monthly manga Jump+ which is online. Could have sworn it was in Jump SQ but guess I was wrong. The first few chapters were translated by Viz when they were previewing it. It was somewhat interesting though generic. Basically a kid who's been hearing a voice in his head his entire life gets recruited into the space police, and the voice ends up being an alien parasite, so now has powers with it. So it's shonen Parasyte combined with space police.

You can actually read all of it here if you can read Japanese.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hahahaha I totally forgot that there was a character named "Shitt P". The Shimon family arc ended up not being as bad as I expected; Daemon Spade being really strong at least made sense, and he had some relevant connection to the world and plot. Given that the Shimon family was powered up by using the Vongola sin blood, it also makes sense that they weren't able to defeat Byakuran.

Tsuna's dad being so powerful still makes no god drat sense though and is a gaping plot hole.

Regarding eldLIVE, it's interesting how it seems to be completely in color on the shounen jump plus website. I pretty much never see manga that are completely in color.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ytlaya posted:

Speaking of the gear, I was just thinking about how it makes absolutely no sense that the Vongola rings (and all of the Mafia rings?) have supposedly been around since ancient times but the Vongola family was only formed ~10 generations ago.

Amazingly this is one of the few things that IS explained.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Speaking of old shonen manga authors, the author of Kenichi's new series is apparently doing well. Tokiwa Kitareri an interesting mash-up so far from what I've read, though one one-shot is still untranslated, since it turns out those set of one-shots that was announced a while back turned out to be a prologue set-up for his actual series to introduce his 3 main characters, a sorcerer, a ninja, and a robot.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 10, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New Magus Bride. Probably one of the more zen-like chapters of anything I've read in a while. Lots of great imagery too, this series is very pretty. Also melancholic and hopeful.

I really like the Earth Dragon's design. What amounts to a stegosaurus-rhino-anklyosaur, with the sage advice of a, well, sage.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
New chapter of Tetsugaku Letra just dropped.

I'm excited to see the group's flamenco performance. Keep level grinding, guys!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
You know that ballroom dancers series? Someone translated all of it. While I appreciate it, I think I'll wait a bit before reading it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

You know that ballroom dancers series? Someone translated all of it. While I appreciate it, I think I'll wait a bit before reading it.

It's also a chore to switch constantly between reading the translations and looking at the pictures.

coathat
May 21, 2007

You'd have to be retarted to actually read that

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I just stumbled onto Takeo-chan Bukkairoku which is an incredibly charming and sweet slice of life story about an extremely unlucky (I would say cartoonishly unlucky. she attracts falling pots, etc.) girl who ends up living with a bunch of yokai. They try to scare her and, when that doesn't work, transition to trying to make her happy, and they aren't very good at either of those things.

Only five chapters so far but what's already there is definitely worth reading and it shows great promise. The art is cute, the writing is great, it's just all-around great. I felt really actually happy for Takeo when some things actually went her way for once.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Amppelix posted:

I just stumbled onto Takeo-chan Bukkairoku which is an incredibly charming and sweet slice of life story about an extremely unlucky (I would say cartoonishly unlucky. she attracts falling pots, etc.) girl who ends up living with a bunch of yokai. They try to scare her and, when that doesn't work, transition to trying to make her happy, and they aren't very good at either of those things.

Only five chapters so far but what's already there is definitely worth reading and it shows great promise. The art is cute, the writing is great, it's just all-around great. I felt really actually happy for Takeo when some things actually went her way for once.

Yeah, we've chatted about this a couple times over in the surreal daily life manga thread, and I think the general consensus is that its basically lovely, sweet, and pleasant to read. I've always been sort of a sucker for stories where there's a recurrent crowd who cheers the main character on, and this definitely has that. If you haven't read the author's other work, Love Roma, you should. It's a love comedy but it's got a very unique style to it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well, Gan-Kon very clearly got cancelled, as it wrapped up what was going to be a no doubt final or semi-final arc in 3 chapters, resulting in an ending so rushed you could set it to yakety sax. A shame, it was pretty fun for a battle romance series.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, we've chatted about this a couple times over in the surreal daily life manga thread, and I think the general consensus is that its basically lovely, sweet, and pleasant to read. I've always been sort of a sucker for stories where there's a recurrent crowd who cheers the main character on, and this definitely has that. If you haven't read the author's other work, Love Roma, you should. It's a love comedy but it's got a very unique style to it.

Oh! I did try searching for it but forums search found no mentions of it.

E: And I see why; the post there doesn't have a dash in takeo-chan!

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 23, 2015

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Looks like there's a new Jump series about... ballroom dancing? Or maybe battle dancing?? Just one chapter so far but I'm intrigued.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

Looks like there's a new Jump series about... ballroom dancing? Or maybe battle dancing?? Just one chapter so far but I'm intrigued.

i'm pretty sure this is the one by the author of masturbation master kurosawa. a bit of a change of pace, to say the least

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

kidcoelacanth posted:

There's actually two chapters out in English. :ssh:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Allarion posted:

There's actually two chapters out in English. :ssh:

:eyepop: Gotta find that then. Also,

Amppelix posted:

This is really, really good. Thanks for the link.

coathat
May 21, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

:eyepop: Gotta find that then.

http://shonenjump.viz.com/signup

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

The wait was worth it. It begins :getin:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The latest chapter of that Ballroom Dancing manga is out now. It's nice how it's slowly building up, with the hint at the end of those two's potential DANCESPORT POWER.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
The fourth chapter of Supinamarada! is out.

This is a manga about a figure skater taking up ice hockey.

It seems promising, but the pace of scanlation is pretty slow.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Gamble Fish has some more chapters out if you want to watch Obama play Russian Roulette with the Devil.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

The part where "Ohama" got shot in the head was shocking.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just caught up with the most recent chapter of 7 Deadly Sins today. While this new arc seems fairly interesting and not totally out of nowhere, I'm wondering how the hell they'll become like 10x stronger in order to fight those demon guys. And we know they need to become 10x stronger because the pig has a DBZ scouter (this is pretty much the last shounen series I'd expect to see explicit power levels show up in).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
My personal guess is that Meliodas accumulates power from magic in the environment like the rest of the demons, and like them he can't really gather much when it is all tied up in the population. This would be why he is so much weaker now than he apparently was in the past. Also, Merlin took 'something' from Meliodas other than his sword. As for the rest, King and Diane keep running away from their true potential; the current arc is probably going to help Diane with this. Ban doesn't have his sacred treasure. For Gowther and Merlin, who knows?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

My personal guess is that Meliodas accumulates power from magic in the environment like the rest of the demons, and like them he can't really gather much when it is all tied up in the population. This would be why he is so much weaker now than he apparently was in the past. Also, Merlin took 'something' from Meliodas other than his sword. As for the rest, King and Diane keep running away from their true potential; the current arc is probably going to help Diane with this. Ban doesn't have his sacred treasure. For Gowther and Merlin, who knows?

That still doesn't really make sense regarding Meliodas*, though; the other demons are like 5x stronger than him even before they're absorbed any magic at all, so if Meliodas gets stronger they'll also get stronger by roughly the same amount. I think that part of his power-up will be related to Merlin's item, like you said. I could see King becoming viable since that "true form" of his spear seems to be super powerful, but Diane becoming a bit stronger than that clan matriarch lady doesn't seem like it would place her in the league of the demons.

Maybe Gowther's power-up will be discovering the power of love/emotions! I'm also curious just to see Merlin fight. I consider 7 Deadly Sins a pretty top notch shounen battle manga in general; it's been really good so far with having a bunch of fun fights/characters and a coherent plot.

*Another thing regarding Meliodas that I'm curious about is why his poster on the wanted signs showed the face of that other demon guy. I initially thought that maybe that their bodies were switched or something, but that wouldn't really make much sense given that the demons recognized him as he was.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The difference is that all those demons were sealed, while Meliodas was out in the world using his power. I suspect the fight against the demon where they wrecked a kingdom also has something to do with it.

Gowther relies on mind manipulations, so it is entirely possible that learning more about emotions would make him more effective.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also Meliodas seems to basically be holding back at every given moment. Remember that he never ever actually gets truly enraged over the course of the series; probably because the last time he did he managed to single-handedly annihilate an entire kingdom.

They'll probably have a shitload of stuff to pull for why he isn't strong enough at any given moment. Oh, he doesn't use his demon/true power because he's suppressed his emotions after committing his sin, or he's lived so long without consuming humans/magic willingly his powers have diminished, or he's partially sealed and that's why he looks like a kid, etc etc.

KoB
May 1, 2009
He is the Sin of Wrath after all. He probably powers up when mad and needs to learn to control/aim that.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Amppelix posted:

I ran into a few pages of this awhile back and had given up hope of ever tacking down the source.

Thank you Obelix.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Black Clover continues to be really boring and formulaic in general but I just really like the one trend it bucks where the "Super Cool Badass Rival" character is actually really chill/nice and deeply respects the main character like...actually as a friend.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 13, 2015

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:
The Ballroom Dancing manga got updated. I love the art in this series.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
WahahMan is a story about an amnesiac terminator wandering the country performing odd jobs and helping those in need. It's not always laugh-out-loud funny, but something about the author's art and pacing charms me, I liked Lucu Lucu too.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Fabricated posted:

Black Clover continues to be really boring and formulaic in general but I just really like the one trend it bucks where the "Super Cool Badass Rival" character is actually really chill/nice and deeply respects the main character like...actually as a friend.

So I've finally got around reading this series, and it perfectly fills the Naruto sized whole in my weekly reading. And whoo boy is it Naruto. right down to Fight Choreography, and panel framing.

It's amusing enough. And I am a large sucker for stories about powerless people in a world full of power users. RIP Mx0 :smith:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I heard Black Clover takes "inspiration" from other series too.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I heard Black Clover takes "inspiration" from other series too.

Seems like a mix of Rave/Fairy Tail and Naruto.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Black Clover is basically a Naruto madlibs.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Happyscans is doing Ring ni Kakero

http://bato.to/read/_/335272/ring-ni-kakero_v1_ch1_by_happyscans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Is there anything more aggressively boring in the Current (Translated) WSJ lineup than World Trigger? Because I don't think anything's happened in that comic.