Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

After getting my tits blown off by Max Max, I'm trying to make a list of the best R-rated action films of the 21st century. I suppose they technically don't have to be R-rated, but saying "R-rated action film" is the best way to convey the type of movie I'm looking for. So far I have:

Max Max: Fury Road
Dredd
The Raid
John Wick
Pain & Gain

I really considered putting Pacific Rim on here, but I don't think it quite fits. Ditto for Live Die Repeat.

Movies I haven't seen yet that might fit the mold - Crank, Crank 2, Machete

Planet Terror has a horror theme to it but definitely fits the bill. The Taken movies are PG-13 but can get pretty gritty/violent. Shooter with Mark Wahlberg? Maybe the Kick-rear end movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

OldSenileGuy posted:

After getting my tits blown off by Max Max, I'm trying to make a list of the best R-rated action films of the 21st century. I suppose they technically don't have to be R-rated, but saying "R-rated action film" is the best way to convey the type of movie I'm looking for. So far I have:

Dredd
The Raid
John Wick
Pain & Gain

I really considered putting Pacific Rim on here, but I don't think it quite fits. Ditto for Live Die Repeat.

Shoot 'em Up
Give 'em Hell Malone
Death Proof
(It has some absolutely stunning car gags)
Bad Boys II

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

HP Hovercraft posted:

As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty is probably my favorite film of all time. If you can get your hands on a copy it's essential to watch all 5 hours in one sitting, believe me it's worth it. I hope it does for you what it did for me.

I finally got around to this yesterday. For someone who writes as much as I do, words failed me at the end. I was basically just enjoying myself, then got hit with this huge wave of catharsis around the "life goes on" montage - I think somewhere around the 4/5 mark. I'm going to have to be more thorough when I write about it later this week, but it seems As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty did for me what Tree of Life did for a lot of other people.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

OldSenileGuy posted:

Dredd
The Raid
John Wick
Pain & Gain

13 Assassins

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Allyn posted:

Y'all have served me well so far, so another request: films about either people encountering their doppelgangers, or encountering a second version of themselves (whether through time travel or other means). Ones I've seen include The Double Life of Veronique, Enemy, The Double, Moon, Another Earth, Interstellar, Primer, Triangle, Timecrimes... that kinda thing. That's just about everything I've seen which uses this trope I think, so anything not listed, no matter how famous, would be welcome :)

It sort of meets your criterion in a different way, but since it's one of my top three favorite movies, I'll add Love Letter (directed by Shunji Iwai).

Kvlt! posted:

What are some movies that are about people being haunted by ghosts? Not in a horror sense, more of a "character haunted by his past/ghosts" type thing.

If you've seen Rescue Me, you'll know what I mean. Something like that.

When this was brought up again I realized it might be worth pointing out the obvious: Bringing Out the Dead which is probably exactly like Rescue Me. I feel it's one of Scorsese's underappreciated films.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Allyn posted:

Y'all have served me well so far, so another request: films about either people encountering their doppelgangers, or encountering a second version of themselves (whether through time travel or other means). Ones I've seen include The Double Life of Veronique, Enemy, The Double, Moon, Another Earth, Interstellar, Primer, Triangle, Timecrimes... that kinda thing. That's just about everything I've seen which uses this trope I think, so anything not listed, no matter how famous, would be welcome :)

Lake Mungo.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

Kangra posted:

When this was brought up again I realized it might be worth pointing out the obvious: Bringing Out the Dead which is probably exactly like Rescue Me. I feel it's one of Scorsese's underappreciated films.

Totally agree with this. It goes from projecting light through the windows to create a church stained glass effect during Cage's moments of peace, to boisterous comedy from Ving Rhames playin' Jesus to I Be Bangin', it's all perfect. I get why people might be thrown off by the massive tonal shifts but it's the exact sort of movie I would have expected a remorseful Scorsese to make after he first kicked the cocaine habit, not years later.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What are some of the darker superhero movies? Think The Crow, The Punisher, or maybe Nolan's Batman series.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

What are some of the darker superhero movies? Think The Crow, The Punisher, or maybe Nolan's Batman series.

The Netflix Daredevil series should be dark enough for you, and definitely parts of the first two seasons of Arrow (although it also descends into angsty melodrama).

If you want to talk "comic book adaptations" rather than just "superheroes," definitely Dredd and Sin City (haven't seen the sequel). A History of Violence and Road to Perdition are both very dark and based on graphic novels.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Kvlt! posted:

Super.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Defendor

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Kvlt! posted:

Chronicle

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Can someone recommend me some good John Waters stuff? I've only seen Pink Flamingos (which I liked).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Yaws posted:

Can someone recommend me some good John Waters stuff? I've only seen Pink Flamingos (which I liked).

Serial Mom, Cry-Baby and Pecker.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Serial Mom, Cry-Baby and Pecker.

Thanks. Have you seen any of his early stuff?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Yaws posted:

Thanks. Have you seen any of his early stuff?

Yeah. The best of those is Female Trouble.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Yaws posted:

Polyester is pretty good. (E: his one man show This Filthy World is also great)

Can anyone recommend a really good movie about Jack The Ripper? Best one I've seen would probably be Murder By Decree.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Yaws posted:

Hairspray is a classic, the original, haven't heard good things about the musical remake.
I liked Cecil B. Demented quite a bit too.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
A Dirty Shame is batshit crazy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Polyester is pretty good. (E: his one man show This Filthy World is also great)

Can anyone recommend a really good movie about Jack The Ripper? Best one I've seen would probably be Murder By Decree.

Time After Time, and the incredibly badass TV mini Jack The Ripper, starring Michael Caine, Jane Seymour, Armand Assante (for some reason).

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

If I were to watch one, and only one, Elvis movie, which one should it be?

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

regulargonzalez posted:

3000 Miles to Graceland.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

johntfs posted:

3000 Miles to Graceland.

Or the TV movie, also starring Kurt Russell, directed by John Carpenter.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

anyone here watch The Thing by John Carpenter? it was a good movie. so good in fact i even enjoyed other movies like it. 30 Days of Night and Cabin Fever to be specific. Can you recommend anything else like it??? thanks

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I'm a big fan of the fan-remade movie collages (for lack of a better term) Star Wars Uncut and Our Robocop Remake. Are there any other similarly remade classic action movies out there?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

regulargonzalez posted:

Bubba-Ho-Tep

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I'm a big fan of the fan-remade movie collages (for lack of a better term) Star Wars Uncut and Our Robocop Remake. Are there any other similarly remade classic action movies out there?

It is not exactly what you're asking for, but if you're interested in that, you may also enjoy Live Action Toy Story.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Bongo Bill? Minor aside, have you used that name for a while?

...but is it art?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zesty Mordant posted:

Bongo Bill? Minor aside, have you used that name for a while?

...but is it art?

Yes. We can surely solve the mystery of where you know me from, but you don't have Platinum and it would be rude to clog up this very important thread.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
So I got a free pass to the multiplex because my Mad Max showing started 20 minutes late.

What other summer movies are shaping up to be any good?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I've heard good things about Poltergeist. I'm probably going to wait on a rental, but if I were able to see it for free I would be right there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Speleothing posted:

So I got a free pass to the multiplex because my Mad Max showing started 20 minutes late.

I recommend you see Mad Max again :colbert:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dr.Caligari posted:

I've heard good things about Poltergeist. I'm probably going to wait on a rental, but if I were able to see it for free I would be right there.

To me at least Poltergeist was a disaster. I wouldn't see it, even if it was free. Go watch the original instead. You'll have a better time!

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Vorik posted:

anyone here watch The Thing by John Carpenter? it was a good movie. so good in fact i even enjoyed other movies like it. 30 Days of Night and Cabin Fever to be specific. Can you recommend anything else like it??? thanks

Prince of darkness?

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
I've recently watched Videodrome and the first 5 Nightmare on Elm Street films and am looking for some more stuff like that. I guess specifically subversive, body-horror type films. For some reason those movies really get under my skin like nothing else can, and I really enjoy that.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

srypher posted:

I've recently watched Videodrome and the first 5 Nightmare on Elm Street films and am looking for some more stuff like that. I guess specifically subversive, body-horror type films. For some reason those movies really get under my skin like nothing else can, and I really enjoy that.

More Cronenberg, of course, but also Tetsuo: The Iron Man, Eyes Without a Face.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

srypher posted:

Yeah, more Cronenberg... also Society, Slither, Splinter, the Hellraiser movies... and if you're going to binge on Cronenberg, make sure you watch Rick and Morty after.

edit: Oh, and watch Tusk, lol.

monkey fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 5, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

srypher posted:

Nightbreed and the first two Hellraiser films should be on the top of the list. Then eXistenz and The Fly.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Speleothing posted:

The films I'm looking forward to are: Jurassic World, Inside Out, Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation, Fantastic Four, and Man from UNCLE. There's also Terminator and Ant Man if that's your thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Kvlt! posted:

To me at least Poltergeist was a disaster. I wouldn't see it, even if it was free. Go watch the original instead. You'll have a better time!

Oh, yeah, for sure. The original rocks. I'm a fan of Sam Rockwell, so I will try the remake, even with no/low expectations

• Locked thread