Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

WickedHate posted:

I have a pretty black and white morality and abhor evil

Taking a strong stand there, bravely coming out against evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

It's hard out there for a conservative brony

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LITERALLY STOP ARGUING WITH WICKEDHATE

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Alouicious posted:

LITERALLY STOP ARGUING WITH WICKEDHATE

edit: Also please continue to shut up about Game of Thrones

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 03:47 on May 22, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tiggum posted:

I was just pointing out I'm not sympathising with the villains at all.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Thor Hammer chat: Thor is kind of a dick most of the time. How's he more worthy of anything that Captain America?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Dr_Amazing posted:

Thor Hammer chat: Thor is kind of a dick most of the time. How's he more worthy of anything that Captain America?

How is he a dick? Also Cap can lift the hammer in the comics, and budges it a little in the movie. It's possible he ends up lifting it by Infinity War.

You're real issue with it should be how Superman is somehow unworthy

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 04:20 on May 22, 2015

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Could Superman strain trying to lift Thor's hammer so much that he tears out his own super butthole?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Goku could lift it.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Frostwerks posted:

Goku could lift it.

Well he can ride the nimbus, but I don't know if that translates into being worthy.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Away all Goats posted:

How is he a dick? Also Cap can lift the hammer in the comics, and budges it a little in the movie. It's possible he ends up lifting it by Infinity War.

I like the subtle difference in their speech bubble fonts.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dr_Amazing posted:

Basically Daddy made the Hammer just for him, so Thor gets a lot more leeway in being worthy even though he's a spoiled, bloodthirsty dick sometimes. I really love Marvel's Thor but it does have some pretty disturbing implications about Arthurian concepts of "divine right" that post-Enlightenment thinking can tear down without much difficulty, but much the same way we still call Kennedy's White House "Camelot" there are elements of that mythos that still appeal to us in broad strokes.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It's whoever's worthy of being Thor, not whoever's the best person. I bet the real reason Cap can't just pick the thing up is that he's too nice and can't get drunk.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HopperUK posted:

It's whoever's worthy of being Thor, not whoever's the best person. I bet the real reason Cap can't just pick the thing up is that he's too nice and can't get drunk.

Yeah, this basically.

Worthy in an Asgardian sense - honor and fighty and revelry and valhalla and all that stuff. The Vision was made worthy.....by the cape. (in that moment he assimilated some thor-ness)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I think Vision was worthy by virtue of being like a day young. Completely free of any vices or wrongdoing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

...It's because he's a robot.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He's not a robot.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Away all Goats posted:

There's an AWFUL lot of storylines where Supes becomes a bad guy, he's got a little bit of flaw to him.

Frostwerks posted:

Goku could lift it.

There'd be a whole filler arc where he tries and fails over and over, and everybody else does too.

But then something serious would happen and he'd need to lift it for real, and he's just go super saiyan and be like "haha yeah I could do it the whole time" because Goku.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

He's not a robot.

Yes he is. Android means robot and Synthezoid means "Android that it's slightly less weird for Scarlet Witch to get it on with."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The only iteration of the Vision who was able to lift Thor's hammer was explicitly described as a Cyborg with mechanical and biomechanical parts given true sentience and essence via an Infinity Stone.

:goonsay:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

KozmoNaut posted:

I like the subtle difference in their speech bubble fonts.

It hasn't been forever but a lot of typists like to do that for Thor and I love it. It's really neat in the current God of Thunder story because it's all on non-Earth planets and there are a lot of fonts based on species.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The best wielder of Mjolnir is Throg, who in case you are unaware is a literal frog.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pwnstar posted:

The best wielder of Mjolnir is Throg, who in case you are unaware is a literal frog.

We need to get Square in on this MCU poo poo.

And in other nerd admissions this is what I expected Thor to be like

I wanted that to have it be all papyrus but here's an example of text bubbles in Sandman

There are a ton of instances in Sandman of weird typography or whatever you call it.

Y'all already know this I know I just wanted to :goonsay:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Pwnstar posted:

Beta Ray Bill :colbert:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

You donkeys finally got me watching daredevil just to see what it's like and my irrationally irritating not even a goddamn movie moment is foggy singing pirates of penzance not only out of tune but like he's reading it off a page and has never heard it before I mean he's basically just yelling it with the enthusiasm of a drunken fight cheer, atonally.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Lmao if anyone thinks that a blond Thor is worthy.

Thor is explicitly and repeatedly red-haired.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That would explain how something else less than human lifted it so easily.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Aphrodite posted:

Only someone inhumanly ginger may wield mjølner

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Aphrodite posted:

That's racist.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
He's an Elevator-American.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

syscall girl posted:

I wanted that to have it be all papyrus but here's an example of text bubbles in Sandman

There are a ton of instances in Sandman of weird typography or whatever you call it.

I'm glad you brought this up because I was going to post it otherwise.

Each of The Endless in Sandman has their own distinct font, and its really really really cool. Its a literary device that only visual novels / comics can really do, I guess maybe books too. It really gives a lot of character to the scene when you see these very distinct dialogues. Delirium's probably my favorite.

As for Irrationally Irritating, I really hate how most comics tend to bold practically every single word for emphasis. Its just too much. I can't not see it and it bothers me and like 90% of comics do it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zaphod42 posted:

As for Irrationally Irritating, I really hate how most comics tend to bold practically every single word for emphasis. Its just too much. I can't not see it and it bothers me and like 90% of comics do it.

This this this this this. gently caress comics that do that, especially on words that don't even need the bolding or aren't even emphasized in the sentence they're present in.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Try reading the book barn :xd:

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

CJacobs posted:

This this this this this. gently caress comics that do that, especially on words that don't even need the bolding or aren't even emphasized in the sentence they're present in.

I actually noticed this as a kid and it irritated me so much even then that I rationalized it as some sort of inevitable result from the printing process, I figured it was hard to get little letters an even thickness or something.

Then I grew up and realized that it was loving intentional.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Zaphod42 posted:

Each of The Endless in Sandman has their own distinct font, and its really really really cool. Its a literary device that only visual novels / comics can really do, I guess maybe books too. It really gives a lot of character to the scene when you see these very distinct dialogues. Delirium's probably my favorite.

Terry Pratchett did this with Death in the Discworld novels and Good Omens.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Just watched the first episode of this new Supergirl show, and there are a few really annoying things. One, why does she wear glasses? Clark Kent wears glasses as a disguise because he's Superman. At the start of the show Kara has no need of a secret identity, she's not a super hero and never has been, so why does she wear glasses? She has better vision than any human. Is it a hipster fashion thing?

Two, are they not allowed to say "Superman" for some reason? All this "him" and "your cousin" and so forth is really jarring. They said "man of steel", why can't they say "Superman"? Speaking of Superman, why does the secret government organisation hunting down the alien criminals on Earth not get his help? Why didn't Kara go talk to him when she decided to become a super hero? Seems like he could have given her some advice and encouragement.

Oh, and that thing about how "if you have a problem with her being Supergirl rather than Superwoman then maybe you're the anti-feminist" was just really, really dumb.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm glad you brought this up because I was going to post it otherwise.

You want to find some of forum user's (and massive crazy man) Enyhydra Lutis (I think I've got that right) posts. Man loves bolding words, parts of words, whatever.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

de la peche posted:

You want to find some of forum user's (and massive crazy man) Enyhydra Lutis (I think I've got that right) posts. Man loves bolding words, parts of words, whatever.

Since text messages don't support bolding my ex would just randomly CAPITALIZE words when she was having a tirade. LOTS of one sentence messages WITH many CAPITALIZED words all TALKING about how I had no LIFE because I didn't watch REALITY tv.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Len posted:

Since text messages don't support bolding my ex would just randomly CAPITALIZE words when she was having a tirade. LOTS of one sentence messages WITH many CAPITALIZED words all TALKING about how I had no LIFE because I didn't watch REALITY tv.

Many schizophrenics do that. I hope she gets help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inzombiac posted:

Many schizophrenics do that. I hope she gets help.

She self diagnosed herself as having borderline personality disorder, was happy with the result, and decided against getting help. Last I heard her life plan of working at Walmart forever was destroyed because she got fired.

Oh and she had an adderall addiction.