Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Darth Windu posted:

Is there any point to being on your leige's council?

Honour!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Tiny prestige boost!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

chippocrates posted:

Tiny prestige boost!

Insignificant income! (0.10 ducats a month)

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

How do you get your character to convert religion? I restarted my old gods game with rugrat of russia and he died at 50 instead of like 85 this time and his excellent bastard son took over but he's the wrong religeon so I don't have the infinite case for war so while I'm as far along in years more or less I don't have quite the land because I can't just take over other slavic religious people the way I could when the religion was magenta bird thing

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

The option to Mend the Great Schism seems to have disappeared and I'm not quite sure why. It had been there for most of my game, but I noticed that once I took Alexandria (the final pentarchy I needed) the option wasn't there anymore. Anyone have an idea where it went? I'm Iconoclast, moral authority is 100% and I have the requisite amount of piety. Catholicism has been reduced to a heresy of Waldensianism, but I previously still had the Schism option after Waldensianism became dominant.

E: Constantinople is currently in the possession of one of my vassals (I swapped it out for Alexandria, which had more castles), if that matters. I don't see personally having Constantinople as one of the requirements for mending the Schism, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

FeculentWizardTits fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 21, 2015

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

If the Pope is a heretic, you cannot mend the Schism. It's in the decisions file

code:
mend_great_schism = {
		is_high_prio = yes
		potential = {
			has_dlc = "Legacy of Rome"
			age = 16
			prisoner = no
			NOT = { trait = incapable }
			OR = {
				has_landed_title = e_byzantium
				has_landed_title = e_roman_empire
			}
			OR = {
				religion = orthodox
				religion = paulician
				religion = monothelite
				religion = iconoclast
			}
			is_heretic = no
			NOT = { has_global_flag = schism_mended }
			k_papal_state = {
				holder_scope = {
					is_heretic = no # If the Pope (and thus Catholicism) is heretical,
 mending the schism is no longer possible
				}
			}

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Excelzior posted:

Does salary for council members scale based on skill or realm size/income? Because if it doesn't it should. A dude with like 30 Stewardship should be demanding a bigger wage than some guy with 8, and if an Emperor or Doge floats the idea of him becoming his treasurer then "larger/significantly larger wage" should be a + consideration in whether they come to court (though this would require the ability to promise someone a council seat, probably).

Hell, the ability to set somebody's wage would be pretty handy. Your spymaster might be much less inclined to stab you if he's extremely well-paid, but if your realm is nowhere important skimping a little on your Chancellor or Marshal might be a good way to save cash. Sure he'll suck and anyone talented might quit, but whatever, your realm is poo poo anyway.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Excelzior posted:

If the Pope is a heretic, you cannot mend the Schism. It's in the decisions file

Ah, bummer. Thanks!

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Excelzior posted:

Are there any ways to make more cash out of becoming a councillor, other than skimming funds as the Steward? I think actually making within-realm intrigue more of a part of gameplay would make a good addition to a DLC.

chippocrates fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 21, 2015

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

Darth Windu posted:

Is there any point to being on your leige's council?

Removing the chance of you getting killed or maimed in battle if your liege gets your realm into a war. It's been a while since I played but I seem to remember my Count/Duke getting horribly injured when my liege called up his levies.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Maarek posted:

Removing the chance of you getting killed or maimed in battle if your liege gets your realm into a war. It's been a while since I played but I seem to remember my Count/Duke getting horribly injured when my liege called up his levies.

Sending my character into battle is one of my favorite things to do in this game so that is a minus minus for me

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Maarek posted:

While on the council you'll get sent into battle if your liege doesn't have you on a mission.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Darth Windu posted:

Sending my character into battle is one of my favorite things to do in this game so that is a minus minus for me

Having military educated characters is awesome. Even if you're just a level 1 or 2 you can easily rank up to brilliant strategist and then you're swimming in troops. There's also plenty of prestige events for being in battle, even more so when you're winning them.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Odobenidae posted:

Having military educated characters is awesome. Even if you're just a level 1 or 2 you can easily rank up to brilliant strategist and then you're swimming in troops. There's also plenty of prestige events for being in battle, even more so when you're winning them.

Yeah it is pretty rad. I like GOT's expanded personal combat stats, that stuff is fun as heck, you ain't playing Medieval Guy Simulator if you aren't risking your life 24/7

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Torrannor posted:

You can still seize cities in provinces you have a trade post in, just not from characters in the same realm as you. That means all lands already under the Umayyads are off-limits for this, but the rest is fair game.

Oh, god damnit. This is actually the first time I'm playing a Republic as a vassal, so I wasn't aware of that limitation. I'll just stick to forging claims within the realm then.

Also started a Haesteinn game last night, going for the Viking Ummah achievement, but it didn't really work out because all the Breton provinces started flipping to Norman instead of Norse. Oh well, doesn't matter, now I'm the Muslim Norman King of Wales and Bretagne, might as well unite the Kingdoms. Again.

Haesteinn is awesome. Being Haesteinn with Holy Wars on everyone on the British Isles is even more awesome. I should probably scrap this game and finally try the British Raj achievement with him.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ratpick posted:

Haesteinn is awesome. Being Haesteinn with Holy Wars on everyone on the British Isles is even more awesome. I should probably scrap this game and finally try the British Raj achievement with him.

I'm not sure whether that's easier or harder than my plan: Starting with Pala, on the complete opposite side of the map. :v:

I mean, you'll need to take Egypt first so you can get boats in that part of the ocean. I think. I haven't looked at the river/sea situation in the Zoroastrian region since I sent Ivar's Dublin vassal raiding into Khazaria for a Jewish concubine.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Dareon posted:

I'm not sure whether that's easier or harder than my plan: Starting with Pala, on the complete opposite side of the map. :v:

I mean, you'll need to take Egypt first so you can get boats in that part of the ocean. I think. I haven't looked at the river/sea situation in the Zoroastrian region since I sent Ivar's Dublin vassal raiding into Khazaria for a Jewish concubine.

Rofl. It's much much easier.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
This game never fails to surprise me. I got caught red-handed whilst cucking a Jarl, and his wife somehow convinced him that the resultant child was his. Maybe he was desperate for an heir?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
How do I end an antipapacy? There's two going right now, and I control one. Ideally, I'd like to get back of both of them.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So, if in the new patch, Ango-saxons are able to create the kingdom of Saxony, does that mean if they control both England and Saxony, they'll be able to make the empire of Englo-Saxony? :v:

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Is it possible to use the console to increase pagan moral authority?

I had it like at 45% earlier which was fine but in the time it took me to collect the holy sites someone somewhere has been loving up a lot and has dropped it to 2%

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I've been looking through the conditions list on the CK2 wiki and haven't been able to find anything-- is there any method of detecting if a character is an autocephalous patriarch, or what patriarch a character is under? An autocephalous patriarch doesn't count as a religious head, does it?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Goofballs posted:

I had it like at 45% earlier which was fine but in the time it took me to collect the holy sites someone somewhere has been loving up a lot and has dropped it to 2%

:stare: 2%? My roundabout method (Watch for holy wars against your dudes, imprison the aggressor in the court of the pagan) would not help there, I think.

Are you Germanic in 769 and Karl burnt your tree? I think that gives a huge MA penalty for a while. Which is not helpful, I realize.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I started with the old gods date because I don't have the earlier thing. I'm with the set character start out in russia, Rurik was the first guy. Anyway I made an absolute mega blob in 2 and a bit generations. Not that many troops but an awful lot of landspace. Really, I just did the pagan group claim and took the entirety of Hungary and I have the Russian empire made already.

Anyway I thought I was fine but I think its been the norse loving it up or maybe the swedes or maybe the 20 odd jarls I have have been losing an awful lot of fights to each other because like half of them are some other weird religion. I got stuck with slavic in the second generation but I did my best to just hit other weird tribes, its not like there's a shortage of them. I'm not sure. I mostly leave them to their own devices.

A lot of it has been down to lost holy wars which I know wasn't me personally because I've been fabulously lucky and infidel rebels getting a win. There have been lots and lots of them and they always win a siege but I've more or less always had the prestige to send a 2 .5k stack at them.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
any mods to make the AI a lot more merc happy? It feels almost as broken as retinues were that you can win pretty much any war via mercs, and the AI wont respond with more than one or two to an existential threat even with a very healthy treasury

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Goofballs posted:

If you're going to console cheat it, just declare county conquests, imprison the target, win, repeat. You can do this all while paused, and then after you reform you can then hand out those titles to friends/family/whatever. You want to wait until after you're reformed before you land anyone, so that they end up the proper religion.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

That's pretty much what I ended up doing but I wanted to keep it as close to normal as possible.

I think I figured out what went wrong with the moral standing thing. It was the Norwegians fighting in Brittania. They finally got their toehold.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Playing as Rurik you really need to get your non norse pagan son killed before he inherits.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ofaloaf posted:

I've been looking through the conditions list on the CK2 wiki and haven't been able to find anything-- is there any method of detecting if a character is an autocephalous patriarch, or what patriarch a character is under? An autocephalous patriarch doesn't count as a religious head, does it?

If your character is Orthodox just flip to the religion pane and it will show zones of influence for each patriarch and any autocephalus patriarchs.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I think he's referring to for events and decisions and the like.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
I feel like this joke has probably been made before, but it's still funny that I accomplished this without cheating:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Goofballs posted:

Yes there is and without either abusing conquests or having the Karlings chain holy war you (though this is faster as well as more fun because gently caress the Karlings).

It's extremely tedious, but what you have to do is to pick a random landed character of your faith (Iceland or Færeyjar are good for this), Play them (using the Play Charid command), remove either cruel or impaler if they have it, then lower their piety to under a hundred using the -piety command.

Now pick the "Become Paragon of Virtue" ambition. Raise your piety above 500. Unpause. When the ambition success alert pops up lower piety to less than a hundred again. Pick the ambition again. Raise piety above 500. Rinse and repeat until you achieve the number you want.

I wish I could tell you the event number for the achieving part of that but I never actually found out if there was an event master list around and never felt like digging around the defines so welp.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Sky Shadowing posted:

I think he's referring to for events and decisions and the like.
Yeah, should've been clearer, I meant to ask about that in regards to modding.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

I feel like this joke has probably been made before, but it's still funny that I accomplished this without cheating:

I see Genius, Strong, and Attractive. I can't even begin to fathom the eugenics that went into that.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

I see Genius, Strong, and Attractive. I can't even begin to fathom the eugenics that went into that.

The answer is no eugenics. It's a ruler designer character!

Ageofbob
Sep 16, 2011

Goofballs posted:

event 67001, then pick the first option. You may have to do it a lot, but you'll get to 50 eventually.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Odobenidae posted:

The answer is no eugenics. It's a ruler designer character!

If that was the case there must have been cheating, a strong, fair genius with those other traits would be like 105 years old.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Console? :v:

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
There is also the fact that the guy has no parents. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
It is a ruler designed character (that's the only way I was going to get a character named David with the Ben Gurion dynasty--since that's crucial to the joke). To counter-balance the good traits I gave him a bunch of really crappy ones as well (stressed, depressed, wounded, etc.), which luck removed as time went on.

• Locked thread