Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Wheres the first barber I can find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
I'm playing on ps4 (not sure if PC does this). Is there any rhyme or reason to which shops show up on the map? When I'm close to certain shops they will show up but if I move away it disappears. I don't have anything filtered (maybe I need to turn off all other shops when looking for a certain type?). It seems like it's mostly smiths/herbalists that don't always show up.

On another note, at level 10 I ran into some lvl 25 bandits. I charmed the archer and sat back as he 1 shot everyone else and then eventually whittled him down. Really enjoying this game.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Arglebargle III posted:

Am I supposed to fight the Wild Hunt with silver or steel?

Enemies that want the silver sword have a silver health bar. Red health bars want steel.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

Wheres the first barber I can find.

The first one I found was in novigrad. He's north of the main square and north of the notice board that's there.

also I noticed that installing that beard dlc disables the ~dynamic beard growth~ feature. Which is dumb, I wanted the most ridiculous mutton chops ever.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

also I noticed that installing that beard dlc disables the ~dynamic beard growth~ feature. Which is dumb, I wanted the most ridiculous mutton chops ever.

That sucks so much dude.. they should have figured out a workaround. Can you at least manually choose all the beard lengths from the barber interface?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
How much use do you get out of Delusion?

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Broken Cog posted:

It's just a loading screen.

I don´t mean the loading screen. I mean for instance in the botchling quest where everytime you die you have to go through all the drat following and cutscenes that even though you can skip still take some time and gets drat annoying if you are playing on death march where it usually take many reloads.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Broken Cog posted:

It's just a loading screen.

I don't think people are complaining about the narration by Dandelion, but rather the fact that you have to watch actual cutscenes/dialogs again. CDPR probably did that so you're not locked into decisions you might have to make during the conversation, but I'd also prefer the checkpoint afterwards - I save often enough.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, I know this is kind of heretical to admit but I'm really bummed out by high certain enemies are so absurdly powerful you can't kill them until you go away and grind a few levels. A giant, mighty dragon? Yeah sure I can buy that being level Silly Bollocks, but a group of emaciated bandits in the middle of Bumfuck having a fifteen level advantage just because is really annoying.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Can you get new horses? Gerald mentioned something about how he just calls whatever horse he has Roach, so I wouldn't count it out of the question.

PirateBob posted:

How much use do you get out of Delusion?
It's used in quite a few dialogues. Mostly as a means to avoid a confrontation, or to avoid paying for something. It's pretty useful for combat as well though, so I'd recommend picking it up.

Pigbottom posted:

I don´t mean the loading screen. I mean for instance in the botchling quest where everytime you die you have to go through all the drat following and cutscenes that even though you can skip still take some time and gets drat annoying if you are playing on death march where it usually take many reloads.
Ah sorry, my bad. A lot of quests are quite good on the checkpoints though, having them after cutscenes and before big fights and stuff like that.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

That sucks so much dude.. they should have figured out a workaround. Can you at least manually choose all the beard lengths from the barber interface?

Nope. I'm not sure but I think the fully grown out beard is gone.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Death to CDProjektRed.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cutscenes are skippable!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Any tips on where to find a diagram for a silver sword upgrade? I feel like I've been using the starter one for too long, and I've already found a decent steel sword and crafted some decent armor, but nothing for the silver sword.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Can't you just grow out your beard the normal way?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Basebf555 posted:

Any tips on where to find a diagram for a silver sword upgrade? I feel like I've been using the starter one for too long, and I've already found a decent steel sword and crafted some decent armor, but nothing for the silver sword.

I'm in the same boat and my steel DPS is approaching my sliver DPS. I get the impression that this is a bad thing.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

What's more annoying is that it's inconsistent. Sometimes the game will autosave before a long chain of events/cutscenes. Sometimes the game will autosave right after it's begun so that you can't back out and prep without returning to a previous save. Sometimes the game will autosave at the beginning of a fight, same problem as above but worse if you walked in not expecting it. I haven't personally been hosed into a corner by any of these, but I've noticed them.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Can't you just grow out your beard the normal way?

By selecting the biggest one at the barber? I guess but ~dynamic beard growth~

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I'm level 8 now and desperate for a new silver sword as well. At least you can find up to par steel swords in the wild, as it were.

Pigbottom posted:

Yeah this was the first slamming-door-on-my-dick moment in the game, bad design. Reminiscent of the walk-in-a-bubble sequences in W2.

The cutscenes when loading are a bit annoying too, I'd just rather have a loading bar instead. Plus I have an SSD and I suspect the cutscene is taking up more time - even mashing X - than it actually takes to load a save.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Voyager I posted:

I'm in the same boat and my steel DPS is approaching my sliver DPS. I get the impression that this is a bad thing.

Yeah, you're going to be in trouble if you can't keep your DPS up.

Try searching the backwoords of western/south-western Velen. I must have found a good half-dozen relic silver swords doing that, they're everywhere.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So, the Emperor tried to kill Geralt at one point. Uh, was that a book event or did I just miss something really major in the first two games?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

So, the Emperor tried to kill Geralt at one point. Uh, was that a book event or did I just miss something really major in the first two games?

They have a long history in the books, which include an earlier war between the north and milfguard as a central element.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So, the tooltips for the monster trophies state that you can turn them in for a reward. Is there a particular person you have to hand them to similar to the Huntsman in Witcher 1, or are you just supposed to sell them to a random trader?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Has anyone noticed whether kills by Axii-charmed enemies give XP or not? You'd assume they would, but every RPG seems to handle this concept differently for no apparent reason.

It probably doesn't make a huge difference either way since combat XP is relatively minor. I'm just interested. It's sort of like games that feature lockpicking or trap disarming. I always appreciate when they give you a tiny bit of XP.

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 22, 2015

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Perestroika posted:

So, the tooltips for the monster trophies state that you can turn them in for a reward. Is there a particular person you have to hand them to similar to the Huntsman in Witcher 1, or are you just supposed to sell them to a random trader?

There's a random rear end alchemist who, with no indication whatsoever, pays full price for them in a crematorium just northeast of Novigrad. But he only has a vendor stock of 500g so I don't really know what they were trying to do there :confused:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Re: trophies: Is there anything to kill that gives you a rad trophy? I honestly haven't gotten a new one since the Griffin.

Apparition posted:

So what are the best ways to make money? I feel like I'm always strapped for cash.

Kill people and sell their things

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
So what are the best ways to make money? I feel like I'm always strapped for cash.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
How often do merchanst recover gold?
E: Nevermind I'm just going to use this mod.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Any idea if you eventually have to make a choice between Yennifer and Triss? If so I think I'm going with Yennifer this time because it just feels right that Geralt is so whipped (doesn't stop him from getting with others though apparently).

One of my favorite comments in the game so far was when I was trying to talk this person out of making a really bad decision and she says "Maybe one day you'll stop Yennifer from treating you like a dog but I don't bring that up at every opportunity to rub it in your face." Geralt looked so hurt.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Apparition posted:

Go to the question marks and sell any swords that aren't an upgrade to a blacksmith and any armor that isn't an upgrade to an armorsmith. Sometimes you'll hit the jackpot, even some of the dinky swords (the gnomish gwemyr or whatever comes to mind) will sell for several hundred gold. You'll also get a ton of formulae and other cool stuff in the process. Also once you get to Novigrad you can cash out your nilfgaardian and temerian currency for the actual currency, which amounted to a ~1700g payday for me. After doing this for a while I ended up with ~7k gold and the biggest issue became finding a vendor with enough money to sell additional crap to.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

No Mods No Masters posted:

Go to the question marks and sell any swords that aren't an upgrade to a blacksmith and any armor that isn't an upgrade to an armorsmith. Sometimes you'll hit the jackpot, even some of the dinky swords (the gnomish gwemyr or whatever comes to mind) will sell for several hundred gold. You'll also get a ton of formulae and other cool stuff in the process. Also once you get to Novigrad you can cash out your nilfgaardian and temerian currency for the actual currency, which amounted to a ~1700g payday for me. After doing this for a while I ended up with ~7k gold and the biggest issue became finding a vendor with enough money to sell additional crap to.

Gotcha. I've basically been dismantling everything so I think that was my problem.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Wow this part with Ciri is absolute tripe. Yeah getting mobbed by a pack of wolves when all I have is a fast attack sure is fun. And her teleport dodge does not seem to have iframes despite being a teleport, which sure makes sense.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Apparition posted:

Gotcha. I've basically been dismantling everything so I think that was my problem.

Yeah don't go dismantling everything unless you explicitly want to craft some sword or armor.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Found the best potion in the game:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

That's from the books, when the Emperor was trying to kidnap Ciri.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

No Mods No Masters posted:

Yeah I think I should always be crafting/repairing/dismantling at the same shopkeeper to make sure to up his gold amount - it's no use all spread around. (It is cool that shopkeeper gold goes up when you buy services.)

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Okay, maybe I'm being a little paranoid here but when do you get asked the Witcher 2 choice questions? Is it before or after the Griffin quest in the first area?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Jinnigan posted:

Okay, maybe I'm being a little paranoid here but when do you get asked the Witcher 2 choice questions? Is it before or after the Griffin quest in the first area?

After. You can't miss it, don't worry.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Jinnigan posted:

First line of the OP. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I've seen a lot of people bitching about how "the game plays itself for you" in regards to the holding shift to have Roach follow roads thing, but I know if that weren't a feature I'd just be fast traveling everywhere anyway and I'm sure that's the case for others. I love being able to let Roach take control so I can enjoy the atmosphere of the game between destinations when I just want to get from point A to point B.