Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nokiaman posted:

The NewDark engine. Check PCGW pages of the ones you want.

As an addendum, if you've bought T1/2 or sshock2 from GOG, they have NewDark baked in, so you don't need to do anything (you should be buying all your old games from GOG whenever possible, seriously).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I have System Shock 2 on steam... it was cheap and I had extra TF2 hats.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
In GZDoom, is there a macro or command that I can use to increment variables up and down, instead of just assigning new values to them?

For instance, I could hit one key to increment vid_brightness up by .005, and another to increment down. I also want to do this with vid_contrast and gamma. I have a big stupid Logitech keyboard that I can assign macros to if that helps.

The reason I want this is I bounce around between playing Doom on a plasma, LCD monitor, and a CRT (120hz!), at different times of the day with different lighting conditions and what display setting work at 11pm doesn't work at 11am. GZDoom's options menu sliders are way too coarse for the fine adjustment that I need to do and the whole screen gets recolored when you open the menu up so you can't see how the lighting really looks as you move the slider.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The only one I know of is "bumpgamma", default bound to the f11 key. It just increases the gamma by 0.1 until it hits 3.0, then loops back to 1.0. Besides that, you might have to just set a heap of macros for different monitors at different times.

I guess if you wanted to play with expressions for 6 hours, you could probably make something sorta like that.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 21, 2015

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Can you do three different executables of Doom one for each TV?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Yes, but they'd have to be in different folders, since gzdoom stores settings per-wad in "gzdoom-(username).ini"

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Playing Aliens of Gold with that new source port and wow is it hard. I keep getting my rear end kicked on the normal difficulty. Also, is it just me or are the weapons way less accurate than the ones in Wolf3D? It seems like I'm missing a lot of shots, even at point-blank range that I feel like I'd hit in Wolf.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
That Blake Stone source port works really well. Managed to make it work with the Apogee Throwback Pack on Steam too just like ROTT with WinROTTGL. Thank god they left .bat files to make it easy.
Shame it's 4:3 only though :(

Nokiaman fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 21, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

catlord posted:

Playing Aliens of Gold with that new source port and wow is it hard. I keep getting my rear end kicked on the normal difficulty. Also, is it just me or are the weapons way less accurate than the ones in Wolf3D? It seems like I'm missing a lot of shots, even at point-blank range that I feel like I'd hit in Wolf.

Strange. I didn't notice any accuracy problems back when I played it with the default .exe a year ago.

The only actually hard parts for me are the Star Soldiers (basically beefed up Wolf3D SS) and the obnoxious blob monsters that constantly respawn and shoot powerful projectiles. The rest of it is as difficult as Wolf3D.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Elliotw2 posted:

The only one I know of is "bumpgamma", default bound to the f11 key. It just increases the gamma by 0.1 until it hits 3.0, then loops back to 1.0. Besides that, you might have to just set a heap of macros for different monitors at different times.

I guess if you wanted to play with expressions for 6 hours, you could probably make something sorta like that.

alias vid_brightness_up "eval + $vid_brightness 0.05 vid_brightness"
alias vid_brightness_down "eval - $vid_brightness 0.05 vid_brightness"

Then bind keys to vid_brightness_up and vid_brightness down. Doesn't take six hours.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I probably shouldn't be laughing at the Polish notation there but I can't help it.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Is there a place in any of GZDoom's txt files where I can edit the mouselook and mouseturn values? No matter how I tweak the sliders from within the game the x value always feels a bit faster than y. All I could see in the ini file I found was a general sensitivity value.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Cat Mattress posted:

alias vid_brightness_up "eval + $vid_brightness 0.05 vid_brightness"
alias vid_brightness_down "eval - $vid_brightness 0.05 vid_brightness"

Then bind keys to vid_brightness_up and vid_brightness down. Doesn't take six hours.

Radical. You taught a player to fish right here.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Lemon Curdistan posted:

As an addendum, if you've bought T1/2 or sshock2 from GOG, they have NewDark baked in, so you don't need to do anything (you should be buying all your old games from GOG whenever possible, seriously).

I'm cool with SS2 on steam, but T1 & 2 run like absolute poo poo on Steam for me.

Guess I'll be getting my old game from GOG.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Copper Vein posted:

Radical. You taught a player to fish right here.

Also another thing you can look into is this. Once you've found settings you like, you can use a similar system to what scifista42 came up with and make yourself "plasma.txt", "lcd.txt" and "crt.txt", with bound aliases for "exect plasma.txt", etc.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Rather Dashing posted:

Is there a place in any of GZDoom's txt files where I can edit the mouselook and mouseturn values? No matter how I tweak the sliders from within the game the x value always feels a bit faster than y. All I could see in the ini file I found was a general sensitivity value.

m_pitch and m_yaw.
Also, you probably already know this, but anything that can be edited in the .txt can be edited in the console in-game, too. So you can mess with different settings, then try them right away rather than saving the file, opening it up, starting a new game, and waving view around.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

uncleKitchener posted:

I'm cool with SS2 on steam, but T1 & 2 run like absolute poo poo on Steam for me.

Guess I'll be getting my old game from GOG.

If you've already got T1/T2 just use the patchers from ttlg.com. You'll end up with something at least as good as the GOG release.

Thief: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134733
Thief 2: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131106

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Elliotw2 posted:

They use weird-rear end notation but even then it's more like 6 minutes of work.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Johnny Law posted:

If you've already got T1/T2 just use the patchers from ttlg.com. You'll end up with something at least as good as the GOG release.

Thief: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134733
Thief 2: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131106

Niiice, will try this.

If it fails, I'll just go with Gog T1&2.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I had no idea that @doom_txt crawled this thread.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Iconoclastic opinion: Dark Side is the best level in Duke Nukem 3D, not any of the E1 maps. I love its desolate atmosphere.

E: also xplasma.mid. :swoon:

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 22, 2015

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

That twitter almost certainly belongs to user Al Cu Ad Solte, considering he earlier tweeted about how he doesn't like Going Down's soundtrack and shared that dumb bitch fucker opinion here as well.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

:agreed:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

RyokoTK posted:

That twitter almost certainly belongs to user Al Cu Ad Solte, considering he earlier tweeted about how he doesn't like Going Down's soundtrack and shared that dumb bitch fucker opinion here as well.

Going Down is good. Cyriak is cool. I agree with him about the soundtrack though. v:shobon:v

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I mean it is a wad where an elevator descends into hell and weird poo poo happens, so psychotic evil elevator music is pretty good and fitting.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Fitting, yeah. But good?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
If you listen to the music by itself it's maybe not the best ever, but in context it is good yes.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Woolie Wool posted:

Iconoclastic opinion: Dark Side is the best level in Duke Nukem 3D, not any of the E1 maps. I love its desolate atmosphere.

Hi5 Dark Side buddy! I thought I was the only one. That music just sets the mood so perfectly.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

RyokoTK posted:

Any _txt twitter account posts quotes for the sake of mocking the quoted, generally the doom_txt account was based off of bad doomworld posts, but since has expanded its horizons to also quote bad Early FPS Megathread posts. It's not really a good concept for a _txt account and sometimes the guy running it just gets bored and posts Doom fanart. :shrug:

Basically what I'm saying is that the tweet in question is just a quote of that guy's post, not a shared sentiment. (Also it is a dumb bitch fucker opinion to be sure)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The Kins posted:

According to the little talky-talk before last year's closed-door Doom 4 demo, all these meshings of demon and technology are the result of "secret and corrupt UAC experiments". So, there you go: Some scientists thought it'd be a cool and good idea to strap a jetpack covered in rocket launchers to a constantly-screaming skeleton in meat pants. :ms:
Huh. Back when they showed that Cyberdemon teaser I just assumed that they were referring to the demons patching themselves up with human technology because why not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_3CU6Rq5oE

Turns out it was the human scientists all this time who thought it was a good idea to graft a rocket launcher arm onto a 10 meter tall horned demon. Huh.

Guillermus posted:

I played ID games in order back in the days but somehow, the Stroggs from Quake 2 kind of gave me some ideas about how the hell you get cyberdemons, arachnotrons and the spider mastermind.

Where am I heading to? UAC experimented with teleportation in other bases before Phobos and Deimons (pre doom), hell invaded said bases and "absorbed" part of that technology so they could build/create cyberdemons and all that shizzle, that would explain the amount of zombiemen on chapters 2-3 on Doom, ammo and other pickups also teleports. Basically Doom and Doom 2 are sequels of a previous invasion, like the Stroggs invading other planets before loving up with humanity on Quake Wars (wich comes before Quake 2 and 4).

:psylon:
So basically Half-Life?

FirstPersonShitter posted:

i would kind of like a game set on earth during a hell-based apocalypse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeTLI_XQ1zk

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

catlord posted:

I agree, it seems that the hitboxes have been unscaled in relation to higher resolution, so only shots in the dead center of the sprite do anything. In Planet Strike it's much easier to hit dudes, because the sprites are not scaled.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

TerminusEst13 posted:

m_pitch and m_yaw.
Also, you probably already know this, but anything that can be edited in the .txt can be edited in the console in-game, too. So you can mess with different settings, then try them right away rather than saving the file, opening it up, starting a new game, and waving view around.

Thanks for this. Does anyone have any idea why my m_pitch is so much more sensitive than my m_yaw in GZDoom? This isn't an issue I remember having when I last played Doom a year or so ago.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

The second half of Episode 2 is just as good as E1 and E3. The first half of the episode tends to put people off, but when you get into Fusion Station, it really starts picking up.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

RyokoTK posted:

1) I don't have a twitter v:shobon:v

2) Sorry I don't like GD's soundtrack. Oh man those maps though! :swoon:

3) What bitch fucker opinion??? :confused:

Why you gotta be so harsh friend? :smith: Aren't we all just brothers in ?

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 10:49 on May 22, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Geight posted:

Any _txt twitter account posts quotes for the sake of mocking the quoted, generally the doom_txt account was based off of bad doomworld posts, but since has expanded its horizons to also quote bad Early FPS Megathread posts. It's not really a good concept for a _txt account and sometimes the guy running it just gets bored and posts Doom fanart. :shrug:

Basically what I'm saying is that the tweet in question is just a quote of that guy's post, not a shared sentiment. (Also it is a dumb bitch fucker opinion to be sure)

He also took the irony out of the post by not having any context added, as well. The quote was a complaint on everyone saying "Doom 4 shouldn't have this and that".

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Shooter sale (mostly) at GOG right now: http://www.gog.com/promo/weekend_promo_mayhem_220515

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
drat UT99 for $2.49 and Sin Gold for $2.99 are fantastic deals.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

3) What bitch fucker opinion??? :confused:

Why you gotta be so harsh friend? :smith: Aren't we all just brothers in ?

The "dumb bitch fucker" opinion is that you don't like GD's music, and it might have been slightly hyperbolic :shrug:

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

He also took the irony out of the post by not having any context added, as well. The quote was a complaint on everyone saying "Doom 4 shouldn't have this and that".

I think the sarcasm is still apparent out of context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

laserghost posted:

I agree, it seems that the hitboxes have been unscaled in relation to higher resolution, so only shots in the dead center of the sprite do anything. In Planet Strike it's much easier to hit dudes, because the sprites are not scaled.
Why would hitboxes change because of a higher resolution? The rendering code would be unrelated to the gamelogic code, surely.