Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dolash posted:

They're definitely trading on the absurdity of the squeaky-clean, painfully dull Archie Comics jumping into blood and guts, and there's probably a limit on the novelty of that. Once you've cashed in a long history of sincerity to do "Zombies/slasher villains, but with Archie" there's not really anywhere left to go, unless you have the guts to go full post-modern.

Aren't they relaunching the whole line soon with Mark Waid writing? Not exactly post-modern, but depending on how that goes it seems like they're actually going to be trying to modernize the whole thing at the very least, with some real writing talent behind it.

And Fiona Staples is drawing it too, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dolash posted:

They're definitely trading on the absurdity of the squeaky-clean, painfully dull Archie Comics jumping into blood and guts, and there's probably a limit on the novelty of that. Once you've cashed in a long history of sincerity to do "Zombies/slasher villains, but with Archie" there's not really anywhere left to go, unless you have the guts to go full post-modern.

This is true, but Afterlife with Archie is also so improbably good on its own merits that it would be worth reading even if the characters had absolutely nothing to do with Archie comics. It might have had a much harder time launching with success if it wasn't jumping off of the novelty of "Archie w/zombies", but we'd be talking about it all the same if it was. Good craft is good craft.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

Aren't they relaunching the whole line soon with Mark Waid writing? Not exactly post-modern, but depending on how that goes it seems like they're actually going to be trying to modernize the whole thing at the very least, with some real writing talent behind it.

And Fiona Staples is drawing it too, I guess.

They're relaunching one comic with Mark Waid writing and hoping to relaunch a few more in the future. They won't stop printing the stuff you see on supermarket checkouts, though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Someone get Grant Morrison on the line!

This, but unironically.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Why can Archie of all things get so crazy?

You know the idea of 'beware the nice ones' with the implicit 'when they snap, they REALLY snap'?

Pretty much the same here. We're seeing them snap. After this it'll be another 50-500 years of normal.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
The Enigma of Riverdale Fault will be the tipping point.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

delfin posted:

The Enigma of Riverdale Fault will be the tipping point.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Nothing can be weirder than those Archie comics where they're all suddenly fundamentalist Christians.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Holy poo poo

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

This is amazing.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Drrr...Drrr...Drrr....

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Nothing can be weirder than those Archie comics where they're all suddenly fundamentalist Christians.

Technically those weren't Archie comics, they were merely one of the strangest licensing deals ever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Idgi

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Man, I keep running across references to that lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccZfZEnB9rk

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 23, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's because loads of people who first read that story around 10 years ago or younger are now working in media.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just started reading Walter Simonson's Thor.
In this issue he can no longer transform into Donald Blake, so Nick Fury is hooking him up with a new civilian persona.

The Mighty Thor #341

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just started reading Walter Simonson's Thor.
In this issue he can no longer transform into Donald Blake, so Nick Fury is hooking him up with a new civilian persona.

The Mighty Thor #341

Wait until you get to the part where his boss figures out his secret identity as Spider-Man.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Wait until you get to the part where his boss figures out his secret identity as Spider-Man.

I was hoping for the reverse Google, but y'know, this works too:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
So what, Thor's already been a horse and a frog.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
A lot of Cheryl Blossom hate in this thread and I won't stand for it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

AfroSquirrel posted:

I was hoping for the reverse Google, but y'know, this works too:

That's actually not what I was talking about, but it is awesome and I need to know what it's from.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Skwirl posted:

That's actually not what I was talking about, but it is awesome and I need to know what it's from.

Marvel Adventures: Spider-Man.
I forget which issue, but I remember Enchantress being involved.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Worthy-man, Worthy-man,
Possess the power of Thor he can.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

SilverSupernova posted:

#40, sayeth the Google.

"Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of -- Spider-Man?!?" When our webbed wonder unwittingly aids a devious demi-goddess, his reward is a one way ticket to Asgard. But things start going south as soon as Spidey starts going Norse! Prepare for an epic tale that the bards will sing of for centuries to come (most likely with an occasional unnecessary "thee" or "thou" thrown in for good measure)!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dolash posted:

Worthy-man, Worthy-man,
Possess the power of Thor he can.

Though you for this. This really improved my mood :allears:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SilverSupernova posted:

I should have known if it's Spidey in a funny hat, it's Marvel Adventures.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I'm intrigued. Tell me more, please.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Poor, poor Thanos.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

mr.capps posted:

A lot of Cheryl Blossom hate in this thread and I won't stand for it.

Who's hating? She's my favourite Archie character.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

10 Beers posted:

I'm intrigued. Tell me more, please.

Cliff Notes:

That's capital "D" Death, the personification or embodiment of death in the Marvel universe - who just happens to be an attractive woman when not doing the Skeletor look

She and Deadpool met up a little while ago and something about him set her all a flutter

However, her previous suitor is Thanos. You know, the guy who tried to kill everybody to impress her, just so she'd pay attention to him. And it didn't work, she still gave 0 fucks.

Now along comes Deadpool, and suddenly Death is finally interested in someone. And it aint Thanos.

So, through some means or another, (probably an infinity gem) Thanos manages to make it so Deadpool will never die, and thus he will be out of Death's reach forever

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CzarChasm posted:

Cliff Notes:

That's capital "D" Death, the personification or embodiment of death in the Marvel universe - who just happens to be an attractive woman when not doing the Skeletor look

She and Deadpool met up a little while ago and something about him set her all a flutter

However, her previous suitor is Thanos. You know, the guy who tried to kill everybody to impress her, just so she'd pay attention to him. And it didn't work, she still gave 0 fucks.

Now along comes Deadpool, and suddenly Death is finally interested in someone. And it aint Thanos.

So, through some means or another, (probably an infinity gem) Thanos manages to make it so Deadpool will never die, and thus he will be out of Death's reach forever

Actually, Thanos only killed half of everybody to impress her. :spergin:

(At least, the time I'm thinking of, that's how it went down.)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

prefect posted:

Which half? :downsrim:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

Which half? :downsrim:

And of course I can't find the issue of "What The?" where Thanos kills the bottom half of the universe.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

CzarChasm posted:

Cliff Notes:

Huh. Is this just the normal Deadpool book?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

prefect posted:

Right, I thought he was trying for everyone but got stopped half way, but that's not right.

God, he's supposed to be this ultimate killer bad rear end, but he's just the weird, loner with low self esteem, who can't talk to women.

Oh man, she's so cute. I've got to go talk to her. Aw, but I'm an idiot, and she's the personification of death. I can do this. I can do this. Deep breath. Go Time.
"Hey Death, what's up?"
"..."
Oh God. Oh God. She's not saying anything. Oh, and of course Starfox is here. He just saw the whole thing. He never has any trouble with women. I'm so embarrassed. I wish I was dead. No, no, can't think like that... I wish everyone else was dead....Hey, wait a second...

EDIT: Fixed some punctuation and spelling

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 27, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So you're saying Marvel should've swapped Josh Brolin and Vincent D'Onofrio around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Transformers #41