Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Horse unrealistically has eyes, brain, IMMERSION RUINED loving console downgrade. :rant:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Verranicus posted:

I've seen a lot of people bitching about how "the game plays itself for you" in regards to the holding shift to have Roach follow roads thing, but I know if that weren't a feature I'd just be fast traveling everywhere anyway and I'm sure that's the case for others. I love being able to let Roach take control so I can enjoy the atmosphere of the game between destinations when I just want to get from point A to point B.

That's a pretty ludicrous complaint. It's a horse, not a car. It makes 100% sense that it has enough brainpower to follow a road without your constant input. Red Dead Redemption, which I think it's safe to say is the best horse game ever, had the same thing and it wasn't decried then.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
So what should I be doing / focusing on if I'm having a difficult time with enemy groups, specifically ghouls and nekkers on death march? I've learned that locking on can be a huge mistake. Are people finding beefing up fast attack is really important? Is Axii super effective like it is on backstabbing humans?

What's kinds of tactics are people employing to make things a bit less frustrating?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Verranicus posted:

I've seen a lot of people bitching about how "the game plays itself for you" in regards to the holding shift to have Roach follow roads thing, but I know if that weren't a feature I'd just be fast traveling everywhere anyway and I'm sure that's the case for others. I love being able to let Roach take control so I can enjoy the atmosphere of the game between destinations when I just want to get from point A to point B.

this is one of the best goddamn features in the game, whoever complains about a thing that makes navigation less a stress on your thumbstick and lets you take in the sights more on your journey is a shitfuck

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Verranicus posted:

I feel like this feature was made for me because I get super annoyed how I have to drive everywhere in GTA games. I mean I could always get a taxi but that feels a bit more out of my way than whistling for my horse.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Seriously the auto pilot is great. I still use fast travel a lot because I don't need the game to become a thousand hours long but for exploring or traveling short distances the auto pilot is invaluable. Your horse doesn't even lose stamina when you're sprinting when you do it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Who Dat posted:

So what should I be doing / focusing on if I'm having a difficult time with enemy groups, specifically ghouls and nekkers on death march? I've learned that locking on can be a huge mistake. Are people finding beefing up fast attack is really important? Is Axii super effective like it is on backstabbing humans?

What's kinds of tactics are people employing to make things a bit less frustrating?

Big groups of monsters are probably the most volatile encounter type in general, so don't feel too bad. I would say the best signs for that kind of thing are igni and aard, since they at least give you some crowd control potential. Much like witcher 2, geralt easily 1v1s most run of the mill things, he's really most in danger when outnumbered. One thing that helped me with nekkers was practicing dodging against a single nekker for a minute or two just to get a feel for what dodges work best on their attacks. They have a lunging counter-attack which often punishes a straight backwards dodge and it helps a lot to get out of the habit of doing that against them.

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 22, 2015

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

HyperPuma posted:

Anyone else playing this on pc with a ds4? I saw in another thread that someone had bound swipe up to open the map (m) and swipe down for inventory(i), but when I set that up in ds4windows and tried it in the game it doesn't do anything. I also tried to bind it to clicking in the touchpad but that also didn't work.

The weird thing was that when I had the clicking touchpad set to the default left mouse click it worked, it seems to only be the keyboard shortcuts that don't respond. I noticed in the ingame keybindings that m and i and a few others have locks next to them and you cant rebind them, seems like that might be related?

Anyways, anyone else happen to get this working?

I did this with macros using InputMapper. However I found swiping to still be a bit too touchy (it would back in-and-out of the menu several times in the course of one swipe) so I settled on mapping inventory/map to touchpad click/PS button respectively. You need to uncheck "trackpad as mouse" and be sure to check the "use scancode" box when assigning the hotkey.

also, assign the "wait for release" function to the macro.

FuriousGeorge fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 22, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Who Dat posted:

I'm focusing on Signs so I basically hang back, dodge them whenever they charge at me and wait for my Igni to recharge.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Who Dat posted:

Craft some bombs. They refill automatically without any resource cost on meditation so there's no reason to hoard the things.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Who Dat posted:

Yrden is a huge help against any kind of swarm, especially nekkers. It slows down their jump attacks just enough that you can easily get out of the way, or even interrupt them by doing damage before they hit you. It lasts quite a long time with both of the initial points invested (20 seconds?), so for very little investment, you can strike a solid balance between it and any other signs you want to use. Just keep the circle's location in mind when you're dodging attacks, and try to keep it between you and the bulk of the enemies- they won't usually stay in the circle itself for very long, but that doesn't matter nearly as much as the fact that they have to pass through it.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I've been finding upgraded bomb schematics but I can't use any of them because I never have the base bomb. The only ones I can make are the default two and an ice bomb I bought from Keira. Where the hell are these things?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I've been finding upgraded bomb schematics but I can't use any of them because I never have the base bomb. The only ones I can make are the default two and an ice bomb I bought from Keira. Where the hell are these things?

Check every alchemy and herbalist vendor you meet for schematics. I think I bought all of my missing schematics from Keira Metz.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone know where I can find the map that starts the quest for the "Enhanced" version of the Feline set? I have the quest for the base set and the supreme one, but this one eludes me.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So how did you guys handle Keira? I sent her to Kaer Morhen and took the notes.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Apparition posted:

So what are the best ways to make money? I feel like I'm always strapped for cash.

Apparently killing the unending stream of respawning cows in the first village (right across from the bowlcut vendor you saved in your first griffin encounter) is a reliable source for infinite wealth, unless that was removed in 1.03.

Literal cash cows.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

Check every alchemy and herbalist vendor you meet for schematics. I think I bought all of my missing schematics from Keira Metz.

I killed her so.. help what do I do now

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Verranicus posted:

I don't understand how any human being can even say that. Auto-Roach is amazing. Riding the horse is a lot of fun and never feels like a burden until he gets stuck on a bucket in some poo poo hauling peasant village (that I inevitably refuse to charge for killing the local monster because I'm the worst witcher. Not that it matters, I'm loaded just from exploring everything.)

I just found the ruins of some elven temple and the map indicates a couple of points of interest, including a place of power, but they seem to be underground. I notice some black rocks covering what seems to be the entrance to a cave or tunnel. Will I find a way to get in there later?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I don't understand how any human being can even say that. Auto-Roach is amazing. Riding the horse is a lot of fun and never feels like a burden until he gets stuck on a bucket in some poo poo hauling peasant village (that I inevitably refuse to charge for killing the local monster because I'm the worst witcher. Not that it matters, I'm loaded just from exploring everything.)

I just found the ruins of some elven temple and the map indicates a couple of points of interest, including a place of power, but they seem to be underground. I notice some black rocks covering what seems to be the entrance to a cave or tunnel. Will I find a way to get in there later?

You go in there for the main quest, don't sweat it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Verranicus posted:

So how did you guys handle Keira? I sent her to Kaer Morhen and took the notes.

I did the same - I wanna get the band all together in one place to sweep the nation with groovy synth-tunes. What did you do with the ghost in the tower? I brought her bones out, does that have negative consequences on the area? Am I going to kill the ghost later?

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Pigbottom posted:

Seriously, I can´t understand how anyone would ever think its ok to make the player re-watch all the cut-scenes everytime you die on a mission and have to reload. They seemed to care so much about the players time with the potion refill and making npcs run with you on follow missions, but then they go and drop the ball so bad with this kind of bullshit. /ragefit :qqsay:

It only shows the cutscenes if I manually load a save (which is still a bit annoying). If I "Load most recent save" after dying I don't get the little narration.

Lord Lambeth posted:

also I noticed that installing that beard dlc disables the ~dynamic beard growth~ feature. Which is dumb, I wanted the most ridiculous mutton chops ever.

What? Do you mean if you choose one of the DLC beards? Because my default beard definitely still grows.

HyperPuma posted:

So I got this to work by forcing map and inventory to be bound to left and right click. For some reason the game allows the ds4 touchpad to be used for mouse clicks but not keys. I also set the touchpad click to cycle through my signs :smugmrgw:

You are a saint. I was hoping to get this to work. I am looking at the input.settings file and right/left click are bound to a lot of different things. What exactly did you change? Just add a line for Inventory and Map?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

lonter posted:

I killed her so.. help what do I do now

My friend ended up doing that as well, and I don't understand why. How did you end up killing her? Everything was resolved calmly and civil when I did that quest.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 22, 2015

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW
I played the baron. And the innkeeper the baron mentioned.

I'm beginning to think that goons just suck at card games in general, nevermind Gwent.

Ok, the baron beat me the first time, but I won the second game. And the innkeeper and I drew 3 times before I took the fourth. Neither of them were totally OP. Sure, they had some impressive hero cards, but you can outplay them.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I know these have been found elsewhere, but if anyone needed +70 weight saddlebags, one of the weaponsmiths in Novigrad sells them. They're maybe halfway from the city walls to the main square.

Mr E posted:

I also enjoyed the non-pistol combat that wasn't SMGs :getin:.

I highly recommend Shotguns+Unarmed to anyone who hasn't played Alpha Protocol. And to everyone who has.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

My friend ended up doing that as well, and I don't understand why. How did you end up killing her? Everything was resolved calmly and civil wen I did that quest.

I told her to give up the notes or I wasn't leaving and then it triggered a fight with her.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Solartide posted:

I'm beginning to think that goons just suck at card games in general, nevermind Gwent.

Ok, the baron beat me the first time, but I won the second game. And the innkeeper and I drew 3 times before I took the fourth. Neither of them were totally OP. Sure, they had some impressive hero cards, but you can outplay them.

Give me the baron's deck against your starting deck and I'll win every time - it shits all over it. That took me a ton of tries. Somehow I beat the nilfgaard guy with multiple heroes in 2 tries though, so I dunno, I think the Baron's gameplan is more solid/consistent.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Solartide posted:

Later on you'll run into NPCs with decks that are basically straight hero cards. By then you'll have a similar deck but it's really god drat boring. You can't interact with them in any way so it's barely even a game.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Found all the missing basic bomb/potion schematics that I needed here, which is in the far eastern part of the Velen/Novigrad map.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone know where I can find the map that starts the quest for the "Enhanced" version of the Feline set? I have the quest for the base set and the supreme one, but this one eludes me.

I found a book which starts a quest for a feline set in a shipwreck right on the western edge of the map, south of Novigrad.. Can't say now which one it was though , I didn't even realise there was more than one tbh. I doubt it's base though, given the recommended level, so where do you start the base one?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Junkenstein posted:

I found a book which starts a quest for a feline set in a shipwreck right on the western edge of the map, south of Novigrad.. Can't say now which one it was though , I didn't even realise there was more than one tbh. I doubt it's base though, given the recommended level, so where do you start the base one?

There are three quests per set. Part 1 for the base, part 2 for the enhanced version, and part 3 for the supreme version. I'm not entirely sure what triggers them, but I think it might be books that you can find in chests or from random merchants. The diagram locations seem static though, so if anyone has the quest, they can share the locations. I've had a friend of mine help me find some pieces I've been looking for.

You can find these quests under "Treasure hunts" in the journal.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I let her keep the notes in the Witcher stronghold because I didn't see any reason to fight her on it. Also when it came to the bones, I picked bringing the guy to the tower because don't trust ghosts. I wanted to see what happened if I took the bones out though, and when you read the character journal it's pretty loving bad. You are directly responsible for releasing a plague that wipes out a city.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
What are the best skills, anything I should focus on learning?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Spikeguy posted:

I let her keep the notes in the Witcher stronghold because I didn't see any reason to fight her on it. Also when it came to the bones, I picked bringing the guy to the tower because don't trust ghosts. I wanted to see what happened if I took the bones out though, and when you read the character journal it's pretty loving bad. You are directly responsible for releasing a plague that wipes out a city.

I think it's pretty funny that the game even lets you pick that option, it's such a ludicrously bad idea. Even witchers have off days I guess :downs:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Spikeguy posted:

Yeah, I didn't trust the ghost either, and as the situation stood the plague was at the very least contained to the island. Bringing a plague wraith to the mainland sounded like a really, REALLY bad idea.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I got into an argument with a bunch of Nietszchean students who were vandalizing shrines and told them to stop. They picked a fight and apparently Geralt beat them all to death with his bare hands. I'm somewhat surprised unarmed combat tends to end up with the other people dieing if it's not a scripted deal.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, I didn't trust the ghost either, and as the situation stood the plague was at the very least contained to the island. Bringing a plague wraith to the mainland sounded like a really, REALLY bad idea.

I didn't know it was a plague wraith, though I guess I could have figured it out based on the wizard working on disease stuff. I had explored the tower already so I think I missed a bunch of exposition with Keira on that. Hopefully plaguing the city doesn't happen in-game, I feel guilty.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Archimago posted:

It only shows the cutscenes if I manually load a save (which is still a bit annoying). If I "Load most recent save" after dying I don't get the little narration.

my save must be bugged then. My most recent save just puts me back right before the cutscenes where they meet the bochling , so every time I die I have to punch space a dozen times and also make the choice again, than I have to follow him all over again depending on my choice.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Phoix posted:

I told her to give up the notes or I wasn't leaving and then it triggered a fight with her.

Haven't seen how it plays out yet, but yeah, same. I wasn't about to let Radovid get his hands on that plague research, even if he wasn't backed into a corner and already provably willing to do some pretty intense poo poo. I also wasn't willing to point the most self-centered and amoral sorceress I've met (and that's saying a lot) in the direction of home. I didn't even feel bad about killing her.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Cheston posted:

I know these have been found elsewhere, but if anyone needed +70 weight saddlebags, one of the weaponsmiths in Novigrad sells them. They're maybe halfway from the city walls to the main square.

I highly recommend Shotguns+Unarmed to anyone who hasn't played Alpha Protocol. And to everyone who has.

The girl from skellige that works with the balcksmith at crows perch has them for sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I didn't know it was a plague wraith, though I guess I could have figured it out based on the wizard working on disease stuff. I had explored the tower already so I think I missed a bunch of exposition with Keira on that. Hopefully plaguing the city doesn't happen in-game, I feel guilty.

Look at this monster. If you don't see it, I guess it's ok in your book. I bet you didn't even help that troll with his painting!