Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
everyone's a pawn in the game of thrones

*rolls 5 d20, crits for +10 damage*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

I like the show therefore every character and every part of the plot is perfect and masterfully done.
If you disagree with me, you are either pro-rape or a SJW.

Furthermore all criticisms of the show will be taken as a personal attack on myself.
Thank you.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Exioce posted:

This. Totally this.

She's got no army. She's got no family. The only experience she has with violence is bitch-slapping an autistic little boy. Oh, and there's some sympathetic peasants who won't be able to do poo poo for her against the people who skin folk alive for the mere amusement of it. What the hell was she thinking she was going to achieve exactly? Even someone as dumb as her would have to know she'd be raped, possibly get pregnant with a Bolton child, who would then inherit everything, sure, but it'd still be a loving Bolton.

Your assuming that she had any choice in the wedding at all. The Lanisters want her dead and are hunting for her. And like you said she has no family or any support at all.

Do you think Littlefinger is going to allow her ruin his plans by saying no? Notice how he didn't even discuss it with her until it was too late. Do you think the Boltons were going to allow her to not go through with the wedding?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Pedro De Heredia posted:

People are complaining that the plot development removes Sansa's agency and character development and your solution is that Littlefinger should have just FORCED her? Christ.

It makes sense. Sansa has been in a lovely situation for years now, and within the very limited range of lovely options she has, going along with this was probably one of the better ones. Yes, there is a lot at risk by going to Winterfell and marrying Ramsay Bolton, but there's a lot of reward. Doing nothing isn't an option at this point. What's she gonna do, hang out with Littlefinger? She's wanted by the throne for Joffrey's murder!

Also, Littlefinger is like, kissing her often and clearly into her. It's not like she was going to was safe from sexual violence by hanging out with him instead of going to Winterfell.

She's had real choices two or three times this series. Side with Joffrey against Arya, go with the Hound and flee Kinglanding, and throw Littlefinger under the bus when he's being interrogated at the Vale. I would argue that she chose the wrong option in all these cases from a logical, distanced point of view but as a character she's very demure and reserved, and it makes sense she would pick a more conservative option every time.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Siding with Littlefinger in the Vale wasn't the conservative option. She betrayed her family to put LF in a position of power.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

hiddenmovement posted:

She's had real choices two or three times this series. Side with Joffrey against Arya, go with the Hound and flee Kinglanding, and throw Littlefinger under the bus when he's being interrogated at the Vale. I would argue that she chose the wrong option in all these cases from a logical, distanced point of view but as a character she's very demure and reserved, and it makes sense she would pick a more conservative option every time.

I don't think Littlefinger would have moon door'd Lysa if he thought for a minute he wouldn't get away with it completely, and that includes Sansa not ratting him out.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Plavski posted:

Siding with Littlefinger in the Vale wasn't the conservative option. She betrayed her family to put LF in a position of power.

She did? I was under the impression she didn't know about LF betraying her dad.

But it was the conservative option because it maintained the status quo, sticking with LF rather than the unknown quantity that was the knights of the vale dude.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Whatever criticisms you may have about Sansas choices, she's still alive and relatively intact compared with literally everyone in her family besides Arya.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

People are complaining that the plot development removes Sansa's agency and character development and your solution is that Littlefinger should have just FORCED her? Christ.

Both cases result in her losing agency and becoming a victim. Only one of them results in her losing character development. Not the LF forcing her one. She can still be strong and smart if LF forces her to do something. She can't if she agrees to LF's plan without thinking if it makes sense or not. I see that as a regression for her all the way back to beginning.

quote:

It makes sense. Sansa has been in a lovely situation for years now, and within the very limited range of lovely options she has, going along with this was probably one of the better ones. Yes, there is a lot at risk by going to Winterfell and marrying Ramsay Bolton, but there's a lot of reward. Doing nothing isn't an option at this point. What's she gonna do, hang out with Littlefinger? She's wanted by the throne for Joffrey's murder!

Not much of a reward if she has no plan. She admitted she didn't know how to do what LF was talking about (making Ramsay yours) and the final scene makes it clear that indeed, she doesn't. No plan that she's capable of carrying out = no chance of success. To hanging out with LF, well yeah. She kind of should be hiding.

quote:

Also, Littlefinger is like, kissing her often and clearly into her. It's not like she was going to was safe from sexual violence by hanging out with him instead of going to Winterfell.

Now this is a point I hadn't considered. But after thinking about it, the two choices are being with someone she trusts 100% completely (apparently) or a family she despises that she knows killed members of her family. If she felt sufficiently creeped out and disgusted by LF and wanted to do anything she could to get away from him, maybe she should have taken her chances with Brienne.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 22, 2015

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

marktheando posted:

She did? I was under the impression she didn't know about LF betraying her dad.

But it was the conservative option because it maintained the status quo, sticking with LF rather than the unknown quantity that was the knights of the vale dude.

She betrayed the people of the Vale, her aunt's people.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Plavski posted:

Oh. Well gently caress them, Sansa has no reason to stand by her crazy aunt.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

JHomer722 posted:

Whatever criticisms you may have about Sansas choices, she's still alive and relatively intact compared with literally everyone in her family besides Arya.

Arya is dead. She is now someone else. Soon she will be no one.

And let us not forget about Rickon.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

marktheando posted:

Oh. Well gently caress them, Sansa has no reason to stand by her crazy aunt.

Her aunt was dead, but the rest of the Vale would be sworn to protect her.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

All Sansa has to do is wait for Stannis to show up. Ramsay dead, marriage anulled, a Stark in Winterfell throwing the North behind Stannis. He'd be insane not to set her up as Lady of Winterfell and finally get one of the Seven Kingdoms to acknowledge him as lawful King.

LF clearly believes Stannis is going to kick the Bolton's asses, why else would he be trying to get the Lannisters sucked into invading the North in winter? They'd turn around and come home completely un-killed if the Boltons won.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

All Sansa has to do is wait for Stannis to show up. Ramsay dead, marriage anulled, a Stark in Winterfell throwing the North behind Stannis. He'd be insane not to set her up as Lady of Winterfell and finally get one of the Seven Kingdoms to acknowledge him as lawful King.

LF clearly believes Stannis is going to kick the Bolton's asses, why else would he be trying to get the Lannisters sucked into invading the North in winter? They'd turn around and come home completely un-killed if the Boltons won.

Why would the Boltons keep Sansa alive? Wouldn't they use her as a hostage?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Are you really dumb enough to string those two sentences together like that?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Are you really dumb enough to string those two sentences together like that?

Stannis at the gates, they got themselves a Stark. If things turn badly, they can use her to secure safe passage, or they can just kill her outright - we know the Boltons are psychopaths; what's to stop them?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Master Twig posted:

Arya is dead. She is now someone else. Soon she will be no one.

And let us not forget about Rickon.

JHomer722 posted:

Bran's gonna get himself a pet dragon to mind control soon I'd say his choices have been pretty spot

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
During the final scene I kept hoping the siege of Winterfell would start at that moment, possibly with some sort of ballista bolt coming through the wall, hitting ramsay and turning him into paste.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I was expecting Brienne to charge in and murder everyone, including Sansa by accident

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT4_Fefew78

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yup. Things to look forward to in the next episodes:

Sansa suffering while the internet rages impotently.
Bronn selling out Jaime and Myrcella to get hold of a cure for his poisoning.
Stannis marching his army into a blizzard and never coming back out again.
Tormund not loving a bear.

At a rough guestimate. Although I've still got hopes for Tormund.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

tooterfish posted:

At a rough guestimate. Although I've still got hopes for Tormund.

I'm half surprised Jon didn't say to Stannis before he left: "Look to my coming, at first light, on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East."

Jon, Tormund and the Wildlings are gonna be the Deus Ex Machina of the Battle of Winterfell, I'd put money on it.

And Tormund will be riding a bear in a dress.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Like 30 pages of bickering over this episode and no one else is perturbed at Tyrion getting to live so they can find a cock merchant

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Well, you wouldn't want to buy a dwarf cock from just anyone.

Just look at what happened to Balon. That'll be the last time he bids for one on ebay.

e:fantasy names, they're all the loving same.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I hope Simon Adewale-imverysorryIcantspellyourlastname hangs around for a while he's a really fun actor to watch

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
ramsey bolton is the best character in the show. in a world where everyone is a liar or a rapist or a murderer or any mixture of those, he manages to stand head and shoulders above. dude has a gold medal in fuckery.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
bolton is showing off theon like a fuckin toy or something. roose bolton is all "son please don't bring your toys to the dinner table."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
E: Disregard

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 22, 2015

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Tons of pages since the liveposts, but didn't see this in the past couple.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

It's been posted but it's always welcome

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

How is the girl on the right not dead? She seems to have some pretty good salsa dancing footwork though

I think it's just weird how with the whole Arya plotline they kind of beat her (and the audience) over the head with "Combat isn't like in the storybooks, you are too weak to actually fight grown warrior men one-on-one" and then we have this wacky poo poo

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How is the girl on the right not dead? She seems to have some pretty good salsa dancing footwork though

I think it's just weird how with the whole Arya plotline they kind of beat her (and the audience) over the head with "Combat isn't like in the storybooks, you are too weak to actually fight grown warrior men one-on-one" and then we have this wacky poo poo

I can't tell if the showrunners are being clever or stupid with the sand snakes, since they did gently caress up and fail to achieve their objective, but we are obviously meant to think they are cool.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Sansa has no agency, Sansa never accomplishes anything, Sansa exists only to suffer and get poo poo on, :words:

"What about me?"

"lol no one cares"

Also, the show is planned for 7 seasons, right? That means we have 24 episodes of GoT left? Somehow that seems like so little time to resolve all these plots they've set up. Unless the plan is to just murder as many characters as possible and narrow down the cast ASAP for the final two seasons.

I'm sure the Gray Worm romance subplot will be more important in the seasons to come than anything Barristan could have contributed though.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 22, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Literally adding insult to injury.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

tooterfish posted:

Literally adding insult to injury.

Could you imagine if the first scene of the next episode was Ramsay waving sausages in Sansa's face over breakfast to torment her about what he just did to her?

D&D would suffocate under the sheer volume of hate mail, angry tweets, death threats and strongly worded articles.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Littlefinger dealing with Stannis would be interesting, since like the Sparrows, Stannis isn't likely to buy in to his bullshit. But Littlefinger does have the Vale to sell, so who knows

Arglebargle III posted:

The marriage won't be annulled, she'll just be a widow.

Littlefinger made a point of turning Cersei against the Boltons by telling her they were marrying Sansa into their family. Since Littlefinger framed Sansa for Joffrey's murder, Cersei considers this an enormous transgression; the Lannister armies would be moving against the North regardless of who wins (Littlefinger basically says "let them fight it out and clean up the winner").

Although it's pretty clear he knew she would not want to do it, and would accept his offer of sending his armies instead and making him Warden of the North. All in a play for Winterfell and Sansa.

Plavski posted:

Lysa was crazy and threatened her. As much as we know Littlefinger is literally the worst person in Westeros (in terms of actual total lives expended in his plans), Littlefinger has been one of the few people who actually helped Sansa at all (if only she knew he largely rescued her from situations he created himself).

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 22, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jesto posted:

Sansa has no agency, Sansa never accomplishes anything, Sansa exists only to suffer and get poo poo on, :words:

"What about me?"

But Theon arrived there through his bad choices. He should have just sacked Winterfell and gone back to his dad and been like "see bitch I told you I was no wolf" and have done with it. Instead he tried to make himself Prince of Winterfell because he was mad at the Iron Islanders and wanted to be Ned. He's suffering the consequences of his own hubris and pride.

Sansa just gets smacked back down every time her character arc starts to arc.

Plavski posted:

Her aunt was dead, but the rest of the Vale would be sworn to protect her.

Based on what? She doesn't inherit the Vale and while the knights and lords of the Vale wanted to help the Starks in their war it's kind of too late for that now. If given a choice between open rebellion and handing Sansa back to KL I think they'd do the latter but either way it's a bit of a gamble. The potential consequence was probably too high for Sansa.

What they should have done is just have her marry Harry the Heir and then kill off Robin and then have her manipulating Harry with LF's help and be the effective Lady Paramount of the Vale before unveiling her true identity. Much stronger position to be in but for some reason the show runners are cutting things out and combining plots like crazy (I get the feeling they're trying to end the show in the next couple seasons).

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Alfie Allen deserves all the awards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Tons of pages since the liveposts, but didn't see this in the past couple.

If we spin while awkwardly holding our impractical weapons it'll look really cool :psyduck:

Vintersorg posted:

Alfie Allen deserves all the awards.
Has this nerd won an emmy yet?

• Locked thread