Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
simble
May 11, 2004

KillHour posted:

I think Randall Munroe just told me to build a simulator cockpit.

Who am I to argue?

One of us. One of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Torabi posted:

Do you really want a Goon in your house?

Better than my ex wife. :haw:

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

One of us! One of us!

Meh, buying is so much easier.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nerdrock posted:

As a Jamestownian, I have anal / mental issues keeping tabs on traffic surrounding me even in Buffalo's urban-easy-mode.

Counter-point: If you count deer crossing the road as traffic, your commute is way worse.

Also, I used to live just outside Batavia. :smithicide:

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

KillHour posted:

Better than my ex wife. :haw:

if u like weed and big dumb idiots, im the guy u want to move in.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

OhsH posted:

if u like weed and big dumb idiots, im the guy u want to move in.

We're going to need to organize a fight to the death race death race to see who gets to live with me in my awesome house.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
gently caress it I'll move to Buffallo

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Guy has 5 rooms. People are talking about weed and sim racing, two of my favorite things. The buffalogoon fort sounds awesome.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
hes got 5 bedrooms guys.

we can all share the weed : )

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Nerdrock posted:

One of us! One of us!

Meh, buying is so much easier.

Agreed. Obutto oZone here as well.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Essobie posted:

Agreed. Obutto oZone here as well.

Manufactured cockpits look nice, and that keyboard tray is sweet, but I'd rather get a better video card and build my own... put more cash towards the computer instead of the cockpit.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

CaseFace McGee posted:

Manufactured cockpits look nice, and that keyboard tray is sweet, but I'd rather get a better video card and build my own... put more cash towards the computer instead of the cockpit.

.....do they come with a computer???

i'm probably just reading this wrong vOv

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

OhsH posted:

.....do they come with a computer???

i'm probably just reading this wrong vOv

Nope. If I've got $500 to upgrade to a cockpit rig, I would put a hundred into a DIY cockpit and use the rest to get a new video card or mobo/processor instead of putting it all into an Obutto. Not saying they're bad - because they're pretty cool - but that's my preference for upgrading.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
K, i was reading wrong and its ok

i still need to save a bunch of money and buy a csw v2 some day : (

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Norns posted:

Guy has 5 rooms. People are talking about weed and sim racing, two of my favorite things. The buffalogoon fort sounds awesome.

Seriously, if my one non-smoking non-racing housemate ever decides to leave apparently I should come to this thread first to look for a replacement. We're all goons but the third guy doesn't react well to weed and has no interest in cars.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My house is going to be the neckbeard capital of the world.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
my setup is a driving force gt clamped to some lovely ikea desk, with some 13 year old Dell monitor as the display

I am obviously a poor student

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Just picked up Dirt Rally. How is the G27 in it and does anybody know of anything i have to do to make sure it feels ace?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

98.2% of people play this game wrong. :psyduck:

e: ^^I am quite happy with the g27 in it, actually. See: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/ffb-tweak-no-void.104688/

http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/05/dirt-rally-road-book-130515/

quote:

“We’ve got things feeling right as far as the Force Feedback is concerned but it has taken a complete rewrite to get us to this point. Next we are going to get it in the hands of some rally drivers to get their feedback (pardon the pun). We are also working on the in-game calibration, configuration and options screens to give you more control over how the wheel feels.

Pikes Peak is really coming together now. It’s such a different challenge tearing up the hill with no co-driver giving you instructions. You really have to learn the route and there is plenty to learn. From a simulation angle we’ve improved the way we model the Aerodynamics. The Hillclimb cars have some extreme wing setups and this extra component of the simulation has given us plenty to layer back into the rally cars you are already driving, we’ll be getting on the case with that as soon as we can.

Another key element of Pikes Peak is the change in altitude. The difference in air pressure has a huge impact on the power the engine can produce and how much downforce is created by those big wings. Power loss with altitude is something we already simulate (you may have noticed a difference in car performance between Wales and Greece) but in Pikes Peak you actually get to feel the power drop as you climb. I’ll talk a bit more about Hillclimb next week so watch this space.”

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 17, 2015

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I am TERRIBLE at this game and I play with no assists. Why are people making this game less fun?!

(Yes that is a joke)

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

I play with auto-clutch because I can't find a good way to keep my G27 pedals from sliding forwards on the carpet when I use brakes and the clutch at the same time. I prefer the cockpit view, but I'll probably go headcam and no hud when I get a consumer VR kit later this year/early next year.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

365 Nog Hogger posted:

The no assists, HUD and headcam part I'm fine with. It's the winning an event part I struggle with.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Does win an event mean place first? Because after like 9 hours of playing I've never done that
I think I might have placed 3rd once, though

Spicy Guacamole posted:

It's not just you. It's a tough car, even for RWD. You've just got to go really easy on the throttle. In a way, it's the opposite of driving FWD: instead of being on the gas all the time, you've got to be much more careful and selective of when you put the hammer down.

alr posted:

The devs of Dirt Rally posted a video of an actual rally driver playing (Kevin Abbring, was smashing the daily challenges)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnPuk2ECaIQ

That car was an E30 M3 so RWD but the next tier up, you can hear how he's either giving it only a little bit of throttle or letting it coast through a lot of corners. I normally like RWD cars in games but I've been avoiding them in this because I feel so slow even when I'm keeping up with the top spots with how gentle you need to be.
Thanks for these, helped a lot. I'm still not great but I managed to place like 4th. While being terrified at how fast I was going

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I play with auto-clutch because I can't find a good way to keep my G27 pedals from sliding forwards on the carpet when I use brakes and the clutch at the same time. I prefer the cockpit view, but I'll probably go headcam and no hud when I get a consumer VR kit later this year/early next year.

Auto-clutch doesn't count against that one (you can even get it with auto I think) only the assists (TC, STAB, ABS). :)

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Having a blast in Dirt Rally at the moment. I'm awful at it, but its good fun and super satisfying when I finish without incident, even though I'm driving as hard as I can.

I ended up going with 270 degrees rotation for my wheel, 30% wheel strength ingame and it feels great. I'll do a little more tweaking and maybe bump it up to 300 or so, but as it stands I'm matching the ingame wheel closely and it feels about right.

I am my own worst enemy though. Oh, you said 3 left, don't cut? I'm sure I can cut! *upside down*

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009
Finally joined the league for dirt rally, I've been streaming lately if anyone wants to follow: http://www.twitch.tv/wanderer_00

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Wanderer89 posted:

Finally joined the league for dirt rally, I've been streaming lately if anyone wants to follow: http://www.twitch.tv/wanderer_00

foot cam displaying fancy 3-pedal'ed shifting. you're far superior to me, sir.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

CaseFace McGee posted:

Nope. If I've got $500 to upgrade to a cockpit rig, I would put a hundred into a DIY cockpit and use the rest to get a new video card or mobo/processor instead of putting it all into an Obutto. Not saying they're bad - because they're pretty cool - but that's my preference for upgrading.

To be fair though, in 4 years you'll need to replace that card but a good cockpit will last a hell of a lot longer.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Finally raced hard enough to get upgraded to Elite from Group B. The idea that I might get to the top on a XBox One controller is pretty awesome.

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009

Dudley posted:

To be fair though, in 4 years you'll need to replace that card but a good cockpit will last a hell of a lot longer.

I love my Obutto r3volution, but I'm not sure I'd pay full price for it. Found it for nearly 1/3 msrp on craigslist, and very satisfied with the deal.

I don't think a better or even equal DIY could be made for cheaper, but next time I might spend the same or more on a DIY setup that's totally custom to my liking (really I just want to perfectly emulate the driving position of my miata, except maybe a better seat)

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

quaunaut posted:

Finally raced hard enough to get upgraded to Elite from Group B. The idea that I might get to the top on a XBox One controller is pretty awesome.
Fully upgraded Peugeot 205 made it surprisingly easy to take the number 1 spot (twice since I reached full upgrades after the first event of the series; I finished first in the first one as well, but it was much closer) in a Master's Championship for me with a controller. I was top by like two minutes over second place by the end of the 12 stages and that was even making modest mistakes here and there.

Pretty sure the game AI is not as difficult as the playerbase initially thought and the AI cars just have full upgrades right away, putting the player at a massive disadvantage so you pretty much need flawless runs to compete until you catch up on upgrades.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Tried the daily challenge since it had only 39m left. Popped both my front tires in one crash, then inevitably totaled my car since you need at least one front tire.

Tried Dirtygoons for the first time. Did bad-but-not-awful the first track, did pretty well the second track until I saw the finish line, at which point I bounced off a rock and over the side of the track and totaled my car. Automatically placed last.

Joined the reddit league to try a league without totaling my car. Spent 10/12 tracks with my radiator at 0%, drove badly enough that after ~90 minutes of driving I placed near last of the people who completed the event.

This was not my night. I think I'll stick to normal Campaign for a while.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Alright so I think I'm going to attempt to build a cockpit as using my computer desk isn't the greatest.

Is there a good resource for plans somewhere? I'm looking for something that won't be a pain to move around as I won't have a dedicated machine for it and will need to move it into position to use and put into storage when not. I have a dfgt and don't really plan on getting an additional shifter. I'll just be using one monitor and do have a racing seat that I can use.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
How often do G27s go on sale? I thought there would be some Memorial Day/Indy 500 sale somewhere on them somewhere but nope.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Going to get a cockpit shipped in,

If you had the choice would you run triple monitor 2d, 106" Projector 3D, or Oculus VR ? I already have the projector setup but I could do the other two.

I too have a 5 bedroom house.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Triple till consumer VR headsets are out. I like using my tablets and other things for guages, hard to do with a headset.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I would say go with triple monitors. Rift would be neat, but the consumer version won't be out until next year, and with the headset on, you'd need to know where all your wheel/cockpit buttons are by feel.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Triple will only require 1 more monitor and the cockpit then. I'm running a gtx 960 video card so iracing should be ok. I get 80fps at highest settings currently with single monitor.

As for DiRT, drat that looks fun. The night racing looks bang on. I wonder if they could open it up a bit and do some JeepSpeed Cherokees or maybe a Raptor and Trophy truck. No idea if their physics or game engine can support suspension travel like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU_fieZsYx8

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
So suddenly today Dirt is giving me the stinkeye with that error 41 bullshit, great. Anyone got any suggestions?

EDIT: Fixed it, it seems it really loving hates you not having enough space on your C drive for some reason.

Keket fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jonathan posted:

Going to get a cockpit shipped in,

If you had the choice would you run triple monitor 2d, 106" Projector 3D, or Oculus VR ? I already have the projector setup but I could do the other two.

I too have a 5 bedroom house.

And way more cool toys than I could ever hope for. Can I come live with you, instead?

• Locked thread