Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

HelmetCheese posted:

What's the deal with enemies regenerating health super fast in combat, is this a glitch or something? I'm trying to kill a werewolf and about 2/3 of the way through the fight it starts regenerating health faster than I can damage the loving thing. This happened the first few times I tried to kill the botchling, too. It's really harshing my buzz here.

Magical creatures often have advanced healing. Set them on fire, pop some oils on your sword, something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

HelmetCheese posted:

What's the deal with enemies regenerating health super fast in combat, is this a glitch or something? I'm trying to kill a werewolf and about 2/3 of the way through the fight it starts regenerating health faster than I can damage the loving thing. This happened the first few times I tried to kill the botchling, too. It's really harshing my buzz here.

Usually they have weaknesses or mechanics that prevent the regen.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Hope someone mods in a little skyrim type compass when you're on horseback. Basically the best looking part of the game is riding places and it sucks to just be staring at the minimap the whole time.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Mr E posted:

On the other hand I cleared out an area and one of the villagers is now naming his son Geralt.

I was going to mention that. And I've recently heard a few people say they'll never forget what Geralt has done for them. I think Comte mentioned an invisible reputation stat affecting shop prices. I wonder if that affects random passersby' dialogue as well.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Jean Eric Burn posted:

Hope someone mods in a little skyrim type compass when you're on horseback. Basically the best looking part of the game is riding places and it sucks to just be staring at the minimap the whole time.

I also hope someone mods in a way to untrack quests.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

HelmetCheese posted:

The burning status modifier temporarily stops the HP regen. I've heard that the anti-magic grenade stops regen too but I could never get the werewolf to politely stay inside the tiny cloud long enough to matter.

It's possible to out DPS the regen without massively out leveling the monster, but this entails PERFECTLY matching the dodge-counteract pattern without skipping a beat or delaying.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

cheesetriangles posted:

Enhanced oil does 25% damage superior does 50%.

Christ thats powerful! Definitely considering an alchemy build now

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Werewolves you just gotta go nonstop. Don't give him a loving second. Attack attack attack igni. Repeat.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Had the most insane game of Gwent. Opponent drew 5 spies in a row at the very end and won on a draw with everything being worth 1 :argh:.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Also for the barons quest end if you help the crones you get an opportunity to go back with the baron and free his wife

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Are Chernobug runes bugged for anyone else? Every Chernobug rune that has turned up shows +0 to attack power. I stuck a Greater Chernobug in my sword but it still says +0 :(.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Ice Fist posted:

Edit: It's really easy based on Geralt's own experiences with shady sorceresses to see how Radovid came to the conclusion that all of them need to burn.

Yeah, throughout the series of games, magic-users and witchers have done a good job of helping the north to pretty much collapse. Even though Radovid is a bit batshit, it doesn't take too much logical maneuvering to reason that "haha gently caress these goddamn sorceresses."

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
So, does your companion scoring a killing blow on an enemy steal credit for the kill and the resulting XP / Beastiary entry? I just finished the Golem and Gargoyle fights with Keira Metz. I'm pretty sure she managed to lightning down the last sliver of their health bars in both fights and I don't have any journal entries from either of them.

This is going to make for a really obnoxious mechanic if so.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

TescoBag posted:

Christ thats powerful! Definitely considering an alchemy build now

Note that you don't need to actually invest a single point in alchemy to use the improved oils.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Are there more scavenger hunt quests for the upgrade schematics to the different witcher school armors?

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Iowa posted:

I just started playing this game last night, and I'm having a problem. Sometimes during dialogue sequences, my game will suddenly minimize, so I'm just at my desktop staring at the icon on my taskbar. Any attempts to maximize it do nothing, and I have to close it through task manager (where it shows up as not responding.) In the roughly 2 hours I've played, this has happened 5 times, always in the middle of a conversation. I feel like any time I talk to someone, there's a 50/50 shot that I'll end up having to restart the game and do it all over. Can't really keep playing like this, obviously. Any suggestions or ideas, or should I just wait for a patch or two?

Sorry to poo poo up the thread with tech support, but I've had no luck googling for a solution.

This was a few pages back, but I was getting exactly the same behavior. It was suggested in the thread to:
a) Go into your nvidia game profile and set it to prefer maximum performance (instead of power-saving or whatever), and
b) Set framerate to unlimited rather than locked at 60.

I did those two things and also turned off Hair Works (since it just didn't seem like it was worth the FPS hit and the hair looks good even without it). After that, I haven't had another crash, so I'm not sure if it was one of those things, or a combination of some of them, or whatever, but the combination fixed it for me.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

theDOWmustflow posted:

I've heard that the anti-magic grenade stops regen too but I could never get the werewolf to politely stay inside the tiny cloud long enough to matter.

Moon Dust? I don't think they need to stay inside the cloud. You can use it to make Wraiths corporeal and with them you just need to hit them the once and that's it. Works a treat on Foglets, too.

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah, throughout the series of games, magic-users and witchers have done a good job of helping the north to pretty much collapse. Even though Radovid is a bit batshit, it doesn't take too much logical maneuvering to reason that "haha gently caress these goddamn sorceresses."

Radovid specifically was raised by Phillipa Eilhart, too, who is by far the worst of them.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Are there any upgrade schematics for the Viper school weapons later in the game?

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 22, 2015

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Okay where the heck can I craft Glyphs? The ones that socket armour. I haven't come across any for like 20 hours.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

Autonomous Monster posted:

Moon Dust? I don't think they need to stay inside the cloud. You can use it to make Wraiths corporeal and with them you just need to hit them the once and that's it. Works a treat on Foglets, too.

Nah, Demeritium bombs. It creates a hazy fog in a small AoE that disables magic and monster abilities.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

NeurosisHead posted:

Are there more scavenger hunt quests for the upgrade schematics to the different witcher school armors?

Yes. There are. Don't toss your old Witcher school armor and weapons.

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
Saw this game at a friend's and I knew it would scratch my rpg itch better than DA:I (combat sucks donkey dicks in DA:I)
Also very nice to see some effort put into the bonus content, also a thank you note :allears:
Thx comte. (and the rest of CDP ofcourse)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

theDOWmustflow posted:

Nah, Demeritium bombs. It creates a hazy fog in a small AoE that disables magic and monster abilities.

Hmm. Seen a formula for those.

Moon Dust is what's listed on their bestiary entry.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Oh wow, that's my mistake then! No wonder those bombs seemed to be so ineffectual against werewolves. I need to get a hold of the moondust schematic stat.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I wish you could sell your trophies to someone. There ought to be some eccentric nobleman that would pay to have this Royal Wyvern mounted on his wall.

Gobblecoque posted:

What's the excuse for the persecution of non-humans?

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Archimago posted:

You are a saint. I was hoping to get this to work. I am looking at the input.settings file and right/left click are bound to a lot of different things. What exactly did you change? Just add a line for Inventory and Map?

First thing I did was bind left and right click within the game to consumable slot 1 and 2 or w/e they are called because I figured that would be used less, then I went in the controls ini and did a find and replace so like all the IK_M= became IK_LeftMouse= and vice versa make sure you're paying attention though when you go to replace the original IK_LeftMouse= bindings because your new bindings for the map will be in there too. I did an intermediary step where I replaced the original IK_LeftMouse= with REPLACEWITHM first so I wouldn't get confused, but it's not really necessary as long as you're looking at what you're doing and don't use find/replace all. Make sure you set the file as read only afterwards. See edit

If you don't want to fart around with that apparently Inputmapper can make it work on its own? I might try that myself later.

FuriousGeorge posted:

I did this with macros using InputMapper. However I found swiping to still be a bit too touchy (it would back in-and-out of the menu several times in the course of one swipe) so I settled on mapping inventory/map to touchpad click/PS button respectively. You need to uncheck "trackpad as mouse" and be sure to check the "use scancode" box when assigning the hotkey.

also, assign the "wait for release" function to the macro.

e; oh wow now I feel dumb, ds4windows also has a scancode toggle when assigning keys and you can just use regular m lol. Also doesn't seem to have the problem this guy did with it toggling multiple times in a single swipe

HyperPuma fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 22, 2015

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I feel like a controller is better for combat but absolutely atrocious to use while in the inventory so I just alternate between the two.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

all of a sudden when I started the game the resolution was shrunk to loving hell and if I even turn it up the FPS drops to below 30. What the gently caress? There's like nothing I can do about this now. It was running great before on my settings and now I can only run in in this tiny loving resolution window.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Scoiatel.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Let's say you're like me, an idiot. Every once in a while your controller rumbles, seemingly at random. What was that? An alert that there's a hidden object nearby? Or a monster approaching? Maybe you fell more than in inch while crossing uneven terrain?

No. It's Quen expiring. Only took me twenty hours or so to piece together that puzzle.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Let's say you're like me, an idiot. Every once in a while your controller rumbles, seemingly at random. What was that? An alert that there's a hidden object nearby? Or a monster approaching? Maybe you fell more than in inch while crossing uneven terrain?

No. It's Quen expiring. Only took me twenty hours or so to piece together that puzzle.

I, too, am this idiot.

Also, I finished the Mastercrafted Ursine set last night. It's really nice how the appearance evolves from tier to tier. And with Ursine you end up with this battle-tested Viking raider outfit.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

It also rumbles if you're sprinting on foot and run out of stamina.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Broken Cog posted:

Unabashed racism.

There is no real cause for the hatred and distrust of non-humans. And even though the really powerful ones are complete assholes, there's no real reason to run around burning every mage and sorceress at the stake either. I was just pointing out that Radovid grew up around Phillipa - a sorceress that took control of someone's mind while they cured them of a deadly poison.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

It's not really happening anymore, at least not in a real organized fashion. Non-human persecution has fallen way low in this game in favor of magic persecution, whereas pogroms and the fight between the Scoiatel and humans were constantly in the forefront of the first two games. All you got now is just good old fashioned racism and harassment.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Fun fact for console (and I assume controller users on pc). If you are viewing your inventory and press left or right on the right thumbstick, you will switch between the two sides of the screen, ie. your items, merchant items.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Elves are a bunch of vain masturbating assholes whose priorities lie more with killing peasants than participating in an integrated society.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I've ran into at least three locations named after Norwegian towns/areas in Skellige so far. Fyresdal, Larvik and Lofoten. It's kinda funny.

Edit: Yennefer saying "I'll see you at the beach in Lofoten" is way funnier to me than it has any right to be.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 22, 2015

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

haris pilton posted:

Saw this game at a friend's and I knew it would scratch my rpg itch better than DA:I (combat sucks donkey dicks in DA:I)
Also very nice to see some effort put into the bonus content, also a thank you note :allears:
Thx comte. (and the rest of CDP ofcourse)
Ditto. I wanted to like DA:I so much, but when it came to the sheer amount of grinding involved in getting upgrades for your character it was just :barf: and my interest went right out the window midway through.

While the crafting in Witcher looks a bit intimidating at first, there's a hilarious amount of loot lying around in containers. Just hope that text-size patch hits consoles soon-ish, because that's my only real gripe with it so far besides the occasionally janky movement.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
BEARD GROWTH CEASES TOO SOON

NEED MUCH MORE BEARD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
Now I'm fuckin ballin got swipes for map, inventory, meditate, and quests, PS button changes sign, and click in touchpad is quicksave